Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jhcain
Nov 8, 2005

EXCEEDING THE LIMIT? I'LL RUN YOUR ASS OFF THE ROAD 'CUZ I'M A PASSIVE-AGRESSIVE SPHINCTER-SUCKER. I FEEL INADEQUATE AS A MAN.
So. One of the things I enjoy is the Hot Rod Power Tour. It's 6 days of driving, hanging out with cars and car people. And then driving home.

Tried it a few years ago with a friend in his goofy old Pontiac:

That's a RAIV 4 speed car, and we had a blast. On the trip back home, we concocted a scheme for the next year. We needed to add air conditioning, a radio and overdrive. But not to that jalopy. So, within hours of getting home, there was an engine and transmission ordered, and for the next year, we had a new heap to roll in for HRPT.

That was, of course, also a blast. Air conditioning is awesome. But it was not mine. I did the wiring and plumbing, but not my car.

My turn.

The only MOPAR I ever wanted was a 1966 Charger. Found one, prepared it, drove it. Powered by a fuel injected, mildly bored and stroked roller 440, it was a bag of fun.

Unfortunately, the 440 I built (fuel injected, full roller) was compromised by my inexperience with Chrysler engines. Turns out, you have to be really careful about the oiling to the valvetrain with those things. Sucking oil through the PCV system, I burned 2-3 quarts of oil per tank of fuel, but it pulled like a freight train. Still, to figure out what was going on, I had to pull it and tear it down. The love was gone.

So, in 3 months, I put this in there

Better. HRPT 2015 was another fun trip with the new motor. Also, the first one with the wife along for the full trip. Her dad, too, made the trip from England to enjoy the event. Our little group made the trip from Madison to Baton Rouge with minimal drama and a heap of laughs.

So, on the drive back to ATL, I asked the wife if she wanted to go again next year.

Answer, yes. Caveat: with her own car. Asked what she wanted, and the swift answer was a Maverick. So, we found one.

Whee!

The 200 6 and 3 speed obviously weren't going to Cut The Big Time Mustard, so, as I shared previously, we picked up a new bit of motorvation.

A coyote from a 2013 Mustang, with 6 speed.

Goes in here.

So, yeah. Months of prep, and the work is just starting. Parts are arriving, so if you can bear the sporadic updates, follow along and we should have this thing operational by April and ready to drive a few thousand miles in June. That's the plan.

Tonight, this fell out.

Onward!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
Yeeeeesssss. I love your threads. Bring it on! :f5:

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Holy poo poo.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
This is gonna be awesome.

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone
I thought for a second you were gonna take one of these on power tour http://www.boostcruising.com/galleries/rides/695368-1990-Ford-Maverick-.html

I dont know if im disappointed or not (PS us mavs> mustangs)

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
So... are all HRPT cars of the "pour in cubic money" type builds? Because that's neat, but I'd feel way out of place. All I've really seen of it is what you've posted before, and the Roadkill stuff (which is obviously paid for with sponsor dollars).

jhcain
Nov 8, 2005

EXCEEDING THE LIMIT? I'LL RUN YOUR ASS OFF THE ROAD 'CUZ I'M A PASSIVE-AGRESSIVE SPHINCTER-SUCKER. I FEEL INADEQUATE AS A MAN.

Raluek posted:

So... are all HRPT cars of the "pour in cubic money" type builds? Because that's neat, but I'd feel way out of place. All I've really seen of it is what you've posted before, and the Roadkill stuff (which is obviously paid for with sponsor dollars).

No way. And while I've done a couple of sort of "pour in the $" rides, it's not really THAT much money compared to what you'd see on TV. No where near. My Charger is an awesome car, but it's no where near perfect. That Duster is hilarious, but also just a duster with average paint and a pretty ugly interior (but getting better, so I've heard.)

Take, for instance, the Nova in the group shot I posted - friend bought that car off craigslist, we freshened up the brakes and added a cheap front disc setup and some bushings, he put in a radio and off he went. It's a 4 door, 6 pot powerglide car. Made the whole trip without a hitch. There are cars of all shapes, colors and budgets. Yes, there are many Camaros, and there are probably too many modern cars (I wouldn't drive a 2014 Challenger, but some people do), but overall it's awesome, and I'd say the preponderance of "real" attendees run what they brung, and it's all pretty cool.

Whatever it is, you wouldn't be out of place. Bring it.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Holy balls this thing is gonna kick rear end. I'd love to take my Nova on the HRPT eventually. Hopefully one will come through the midwest again once I feel it's road ready.

jhcain
Nov 8, 2005

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Holy balls this thing is gonna kick rear end. I'd love to take my Nova on the HRPT eventually. Hopefully one will come through the midwest again once I feel it's road ready.

The real preparation is mental, I think. No matter the prep, something will probably go awry, like any other road trip. Screwed up hotel reservations, random leaks and busted stuff. Know that if you have a mechanical difficulty and you're anywhere near the "official" route, it's nearly impossible to be stranded. Pull over to take a couple of pictures, and random strangers will stop to make sure everyone's ok. When the Duster emitted an enormous cloud of highway obscuring smoke last year, by the time he hit the shoulder of the road there were half a dozen cars stopped behind offering tools, assistance and beer.

That said, brakes and a cooling system are a really good idea!

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

jhcain posted:

No way. And while I've done a couple of sort of "pour in the $" rides, it's not really THAT much money compared to what you'd see on TV. No where near. My Charger is an awesome car, but it's no where near perfect. That Duster is hilarious, but also just a duster with average paint and a pretty ugly interior (but getting better, so I've heard.)

Take, for instance, the Nova in the group shot I posted - friend bought that car off craigslist, we freshened up the brakes and added a cheap front disc setup and some bushings, he put in a radio and off he went. It's a 4 door, 6 pot powerglide car. Made the whole trip without a hitch. There are cars of all shapes, colors and budgets. Yes, there are many Camaros, and there are probably too many modern cars (I wouldn't drive a 2014 Challenger, but some people do), but overall it's awesome, and I'd say the preponderance of "real" attendees run what they brung, and it's all pretty cool.

Whatever it is, you wouldn't be out of place. Bring it.

Maybe one of these years, once I'm out of school and financially more established. It's pretty aspirational. Is it always the same route? This year's is pretty far from me on the west coast.

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007
Yay! Ready to watch the shoe horning.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Raluek posted:

Maybe one of these years, once I'm out of school and financially more established. It's pretty aspirational. Is it always the same route? This year's is pretty far from me on the west coast.

Next year is Madison WI to Baton Rouge.

I really kinda want to run the Tour in a Mad Max style rat muscle rod. It'd be fun and a nice change from a lot of the pics I see. :)

jhcain
Nov 8, 2005

Liquid Communism posted:

Next year is Madison WI to Baton Rouge.

I really kinda want to run the Tour in a Mad Max style rat muscle rod. It'd be fun and a nice change from a lot of the pics I see. :)

Actually, last year was Madison to Baton Rouge. This year is Baton Rouge to Kansas City, via Dallas. Next year will be KC to... Somewhere.

There are some pretty cool things - one of my favorites was a rat rod style truck running a Mercruiser 4 cylinder plucked from an old boat. Very nifty. We met a guy a couple of years that ran the whole way in a propane converted Chevelle. He sold propane, of course.

Weirdo diesel conversions? Yup. Heaps, station wagons and 4 doors? Yup.

Yeah, a lot of very nice cars, but at least they're being driven, getting covered in dirt and bugs*, and enjoyed.

*Except for the Corvette guys. They can't stand the dirt. They (not making this up) will use the hotel room trash can and wash their cars every night. It's hilarious. The only car I've ever seen getting washed was a corvette. Multiple times. I don't get it- that's precious drinking/shooting the poo poo time... You can wash it when you get home!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Hrm. I read wrong, then.

In that case, though, KC to wherever next year would be starting in my neck of the woods.

jhcain
Nov 8, 2005

Actual (small) update.

Got the rear end out, drained the gas tank (fuel for the jheap!) and pulled the bumpers off so they can go to the platers. Next up, the cutting starts!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

That looks awesome, you should just drive it around like that.

hovermaverick.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Hooooooly poo poo

Your wife is awesome. Good taste. We had a maverick parked in our yard when I was a kid, and I fell in love with it. If I was ever going to do a muscle car build, it would be a Maverick.

jhcain
Nov 8, 2005

Another small update.

First off, here's a bit of "PO Fuckery" that I can't help but admire. Probably more work than necessary, and actually a pretty well thought out solution. Note that they drilled a hole for the S hook, and took the time to bend it into a more effective shape to engage. North Georgia genius.

So, the cutting hasn't started yet, but I have created this engineering drawing to illustrate the need to do said cutting. I added a realistic and actually close to scale representation of the new engine- it's the part in red, if you can't tell. Those metal bits are distinctly in the way.

Oh, and I got this picture today as the front suspension was being prepped for shipment. I like new parts. So nice and tidy.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Holy poo poo :laffo: I lost it at this. "ok boys, here's the plan" *MS paints on a V8* "perfect in every way!"

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

jhcain posted:

So, the cutting hasn't started yet, but I have created this engineering drawing to illustrate the need to do said cutting. I added a realistic and actually close to scale representation of the new engine- it's the part in red, if you can't tell. Those metal bits are distinctly in the way.

Oh, and I got this picture today as the front suspension was being prepped for shipment. I like new parts. So nice and tidy.

So you'll replace the strut towers with that cradle and weld in flat plates to get back rigidity?
Is that a custom piece?

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

Woh, did you make that or buy that? It's got to be custom though, right?

I'm excited to read the progress in this thread, I want to do something crazy like this someday.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
This thread :stare:

jhcain
Nov 8, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

So you'll replace the strut towers with that cradle and weld in flat plates to get back rigidity?
Is that a custom piece?

Pretty much the plan, yes. Towers come out, the new crossmember goes in. There will be some plating and cardboard and wet noodles added back to the structure to fill in those shock tower holes. Maybe those wide lasagne noodles.

The crossmember is a piece from Chassisworks- sort of custom, sort of not, as they're built to size and configuration individually. Looks similar to a M2 config, but it's their clean sheet design with vastly improved geometry. The steering rack is built to matching spec as well, controlling bumpsteer.

Meanwhile, rear suspension design is being finalized, so we can put wheels back there, too. Seems sensible.

jhcain
Nov 8, 2005

I've taken CAD (cardboard aided design) to the next level. Probably 3 levels, really. It's PAD. PVC Aided Design.

That is all.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
:gary: OH MY GOD WHAT DO YOU DO FOR A LIVING YOU'RE SO RICH :yarg:

I love these kinds of swaps. Throw out the rusty old poo poo that handles like a drunk sailor, install modern equipment and enjoy. Restomod away.

How much of a difference in sound was the modern 392 "Hemi" versus the old 440? I remember those having a really distinct sound.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Das Volk posted:

:gary: OH MY GOD WHAT DO YOU DO FOR A LIVING YOU'RE SO RICH :yarg:

Haha I hope I didn't come off like that.

jhcain
Nov 8, 2005

Das Volk posted:

How much of a difference in sound was the modern 392 "Hemi" versus the old 440? I remember those having a really distinct sound.

Hmm. Different, but not terribly noticiable. The 440 sounded like... A 440 - a big block with a decent cam. But I've got a full exhaust system on the car with large mufflers, so it's pretty subdued. The G3 "Hemi" sounds a little different; mostly smoother, I guess. Same exhaust system, and a similar header setup (both similar diameter long tubes) so still pretty quiet.

Probably too quiet, but I haven't gotten around to putting cutouts on it yet. To quote the famous philosopher: "...be nice, until it's time to not be nice."

jhcain
Nov 8, 2005

For those of you playing the home game, today was "cut some stuff day."

jhcain
Nov 8, 2005

Brackets removed from the rails, rails tidied up, ready for... More cutting!

jhcain
Nov 8, 2005

I just noticed - 28 posts, and it's GOLD. I sure hope I don't let you down!

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

jhcain posted:

You're putting a Coyote and modern suspension into a Maverick. There are very few ways you could let us down.

That said, so far you are doing exactly the right thing.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
Yeah, and plus, your previous Charger thread was awesome too.

It's nice to see that you're doing things 'properly' (i.e. spending money on decent parts), where as I (and I'm sure much of AI) would be searching for a wrecked SUV with a coolant leak to provide a donor motor (topical humor). Also you seem to have the skills and confidence to back it up (did I just see you cut out the front strut towers on a perfectly functioning vehicle, in the pursuit of AI V8 goodness?)

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

jhcain posted:

Yup, can't argue with that. :clint:

jhcain
Nov 8, 2005

Three boxes set to arrive today, one got somehow diverted and won't get here until tomorrow. The two boxes that did arrive just had this useless crap in them.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I've always wondered what your options are for replacing pads and rotors on a willwood setup like that. Do they give you a list of compatible vehicles that had a similar setup or what?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Elmnt80 posted:

I've always wondered what your options are for replacing pads and rotors on a willwood setup like that. Do they give you a list of compatible vehicles that had a similar setup or what?

That's how Slung Blade's (non-Wilwood) kit for his Coronet worked. I think his rears are from a T-Bird Turbo Coupe and his fronts are from an S197 Mustang. They give you a little brochure with the part numbers and compatible models.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

This thread inspired me to check out eBay to see if there are any sweet deals on a Ford Maverick.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?&_nkw=ford+maverick

oh.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Someone's mislabeled all your Escapes.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

This thread inspired me to check out eBay to see if there are any sweet deals on a Ford Maverick.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?&_nkw=ford+maverick

oh.
That's not a Ford Maverick 4x4

This is a Ford Maverick 4x4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

You Am I posted:

That's not a Ford Maverick 4x4

This is a Ford Maverick 4x4