Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Literally The Worst posted:

tell me more about the thoughts those evil liberals tell you you're not allowed to have

This might be surprising to you but there are tons of gun owning liberals. There are also tons of people who have no intention of shooting people with their guns. In the extremely unlikely scenario of someone breaking into my apartment my guns would be about as useful as any hunk of metal as I don't keep them loaded nor do I have ammo sitting around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

MaxxBot posted:

This might be surprising to you but there are tons of gun owning liberals.

no poo poo, but what's the venn diagram between gun owning liberals and people who scream about liberals telling you how to think on the internet look like

im betting its just two circles

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Pauline Kael posted:

"Assault rifles" rank below baseball bats, hammers, and fists, in cause of deaths. I look forward to Barack Obama tearfully decrying death by hammers on his next infomercial on cnn.

The moment Ben Carson has been waiting for!

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

no poo poo, but what's the venn diagram between gun owning liberals and people who scream about liberals telling you how to think on the internet look like

You would lose that bet

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

If the "wrongthink" is like "why can't I observe that women love to be housewives and black people steal" then yeah probably, but if the wrongthink is criticizing the security state when the president is a democrat or questioning the usefulness of most gun laws on the books, the diagram probably at least looks like "looking through binoculars in a movie"

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

SedanChair posted:

If the "wrongthink" is like "why can't I observe that women love to be housewives and black people steal" then yeah probably, but if the wrongthink is criticizing the security state when the president is a democrat or questioning the usefulness of most gun laws on the books, the diagram probably at least looks like "looking through binoculars in a movie"

yeah that's why i asked what those evil liberals told him he can't think, i wanna make fun of him appropriately

Pauline Kael posted:

You would lose that bet

so, what did the big mean liberals say to you

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

evilweasel posted:

The issue is that I just don't see any evidence there's a lot of people like you - there are a lot of people who have guns and say they'd support common sense regulations, but somehow most of them never show up when they're actually proposed. That's basically what was tried after Sandy Hook, and you saw where that went. That was the effort to work with the reasonable gun owners, and that failed miserably because it's the crazies who have control. In essence, I don't see any way to get to even these sort of regulations without significantly breaking the power of the crazies, and so any political action needs to be focused there. If there was a way forward working with the gun owners who aren't crazy, it would have been the bill after Sandy Hook. But that failed, miserably, and the crazies once again dominated the conversation on the part of gun owners. What's going to change that besides the sort of focus on stuff that you just can't justify opposition to, even if it doesn't go far enough? The stuff that does go far enough can't be done without breaking the NRA's power on the issue, so you have to do the stuff that can be done in the face of the NRA or that weakens the NRA.

Ok, but this is the gun control version of the bills to repeal the ACA- it's an ideological purity test that does nothing, and it seems likely to play into the NRAs hands. You can cast opposition to universal background checks as an example of "craziness" but this is a far more extreme reprise of ineffective legislation from the 1990s that has not shown itself to be anything like an electoral winner. What seems more likely if this bill comes to a vote- that it can successfully be used as something with which to bludgeon the NRA for being crazy, or that it becomes absolute proof that Democrats (in general and specifically) cannot be trusted on gun rights and they are in fact coming to take your guns? Given the way this debate has played out in the past I think smart money is on the latter.

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

Pauline Kael posted:

You, or most literate gun owners. The anti 2a types could spend an afternoon in basically any hunter safety course or even any gun range introduction class and they would be able to do that, but I guess it's better to remain smug in ignorance than to attempt to legislate from a position of knowledge when all you're really trying to do is otherize the political opposition and score points in the culture war.

You do know that people in congress don't fire up microsoft word and type out bills, right? Anyway, the reason the AWB was what it was is because it targets guns that the militia types covet.

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

hallebarrysoetoro posted:

You do know that people in congress don't fire up microsoft word and type out bills, right? Anyway, the reason the AWB was what it was is because it targets guns that the militia types covet.

Wow, so there are like 50 million militia types? No wonder you and your fellow moms against guns are so terrified.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

Pauline Kael posted:

Why do you keep posting in threads about Gun control in America? We know you are terrified of guns and gun owners and you live in an earthly paradise where the state has a monopoly on force, you've made that very clear. Also that you are offended by the freedom and opinions of people that disagree with you. This particular thread should really trigger you since its purestrain leftist fantasy that California's gun laws will ever spread outside California. Even leftist bastions like NYS won't go that far.

Most people who don't like guns aren't afraid of guns in and of themselves, but the rabid-animal mentality that tends to come with owning a gun. Suddenly they tend to see 'enemies' everywhere, and the least little thing becomes worth killing someone over. Guns themselves don't kill people. Crazy inbreds who masturbate to the thought of a one-million-round full-auto self-targeting hand-held chain-gun, kill people----with all the guns they've collected the way lonely old ladies collect Precious Moments figurines.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Most people who don't like guns have an image in their head of what they think every gun owner is like, and basically ignore anything to the contrary of that image. See also: the people in this thread who are convinced that all gun owners just want to shoot black people, or are rural uneducated hicks, or both.

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

yeah that's why i asked what those evil liberals told him he can't think, i wanna make fun of him appropriately

so, what did the big mean liberals say to you

Nothing that was based in any sort of supportable logic, of course

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Pauline Kael posted:

Nothing that was based in any sort of supportable logic, of course

so, nothing, because if they did actually say something you would be trotting it out to prove your point that liberals are gun-hating thoughtcrime motherfuckers

okay cool thanks guy

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Astrofig posted:

Most people who don't like guns aren't afraid of guns in and of themselves, but the rabid-animal mentality that tends to come with owning a gun. Suddenly they tend to see 'enemies' everywhere, and the least little thing becomes worth killing someone over. Guns themselves don't kill people. Crazy inbreds who masturbate to the thought of a one-million-round full-auto self-targeting hand-held chain-gun, kill people----with all the guns they've collected the way lonely old ladies collect Precious Moments figurines.

So people who commit the vast vast majority of gun murders are crazy inbreds and all the rest of that pejorative nonsense you said? Are you sure you have thought through your position on this?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Pauline Kael posted:

So people who commit the vast vast majority of gun murders are crazy inbreds and all the rest of that pejorative nonsense you said? Are you sure you have thought through your position on this?

demonizing the opposition is only okay when you do it, i guess

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

so, nothing, because if they did actually say something you would be trotting it out to prove your point that liberals are gun-hating thoughtcrime motherfuckers

okay cool thanks guy

What are you are even trying to say here? You sure showed me, I guess.

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

demonizing the opposition is only okay when you do it, i guess

Can you coherently state your position on the current legislation before the House? Or are you just here to rage against the Others?

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

-Troika- posted:

Most people who don't like guns have an image in their head of what they think every gun owner is like, and basically ignore anything to the contrary of that image. See also: the people in this thread who are convinced that all gun owners just want to shoot black people, or are rural uneducated hicks, or both.

I live in Minneapolis which is unfortunately quite segregated but the gun range I go to is right by where most of the black people live, and they're a really large proportion of who actually goes there to shoot and buy poo poo. I guess they're all self-hating race traitors or something.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

LeJackal posted:

It'd be nice if they dropped the issue and focused on things that would actually be helpful, like economic and justice reform, but political capital won't burn itself for nothing.

This is a significant part of the Democratic establishment's hill to die on, and they'll charge up it no matter how badly it fucks them.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

LGD posted:

Ok, but this is the gun control version of the bills to repeal the ACA- it's an ideological purity test that does nothing, and it seems likely to play into the NRAs hands. You can cast opposition to universal background checks as an example of "craziness" but this is a far more extreme reprise of ineffective legislation from the 1990s that has not shown itself to be anything like an electoral winner. What seems more likely if this bill comes to a vote- that it can successfully be used as something with which to bludgeon the NRA for being crazy, or that it becomes absolute proof that Democrats (in general and specifically) cannot be trusted on gun rights and they are in fact coming to take your guns? Given the way this debate has played out in the past I think smart money is on the latter.

Those people vote Republican anyway. Who cares? They're a minority of lunatics and the point is to split off the support from them.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

-Troika- posted:

yeah i have no idea how people get tha

*another Pauline Kael post*

t silly idea, wherever does it come from, this idea about fervent "gun rights" people

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Pauline Kael posted:

What are you are even trying to say here? You sure showed me, I guess.

i'm saying that you trotted out some bullshit about how liberals are trying to police our thoughts and then refused to back it up, while crying about how gun owners are mischaracterized

i'm hardly the one raging against the other here, guy who literally complained about thought policing

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Sorry, I should have clarified that I meant among people that own guns. My bad.

Assault weapons themselves aren't particularly uncommon, depending on what your definition of what they are. If we're talking military pattern rifles like AR or AK variants, they're very popular for a number of reasons. They're in media a lot, so people that just want a cool gun will typically buy something like that. People that are into recreational shooting, hunting or collecting firearms typically have one in their collection for any number of reasons.

If you expand the definition to include semi-automatic weapons with 10 rounds or more in the magazine, those are extremely common. And they're cheap. For around 200 bucks you can get a .22 rifle just about anywhere in the country. For not much more, you can get bigger calibers. I don't even mean at pawn shops or Walmart or whatever, I could go to a flea market or pick up a newspaper and have one within the hour.

They're pretty piss poor weapons if you're planning a murder. They're long, often bulky, not particularly easy to conceal. AKs and AR/M-16 variants are also expensive enough that they're a poor choice if you're planning on getting rid of the evidence. Shotguns are used much more frequently than assault rifles because they're cheap, easily cut down, and common.

The last time I looked at the statistics, small, cheap, low caliber handguns were by far the worst offenders. it makes sense. You'd want something you could conceal and throw away, something that was easily obtainable. There would probably be a much more meaningful drop in gun violence if you eliminated those guns from circulation and production than you'd ever see from any AWB, especially if they continue to be toothless exercises in rule lawyering.

Please note that 'much more common' here is 'about 300 times a year nationwide'.

https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/u...n_2008-2012.xls

Rifles and shotguns combined aren't even a wet fart in a hurricane as far as homicide statistics go.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SedanChair posted:

Given that gun violence is the leading cause of death for young black men any "liberal" who echoes the NRA and gun nuts and who doesn't want to be regarded as racist has one hell of an uphill climb.

You can't coherently be anti-racist and pro-gun.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

The Insect Court posted:

Given that gun violence is the leading cause of death for young black men any "liberal" who echoes the NRA and gun nuts and who doesn't want to be regarded as racist has one hell of an uphill climb.

Yes - if you're perceptive enough to see that the institutional racism driving young black men into crime and violence transcends guns and would like to actually improve their lives, not just do something ineffectual and showy like 'ban guns'.

Gun control is a red herring for people that don't want to address te actual issues.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
As an idiot with virtually no knowledge of guns, and who has never fired a gun ever, can anything in the list of banned pistols kill a bear effectively? If not, why are you complaining? All I'm seeing (to my limited knowledge) are guns that are designed to kill people being banned.

Do you want to kill people efficiently?

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

The Insect Court posted:

Even evil weasels wettest gun control dream won't stop the sort of gun violence that's claiming so many young black men. Of course he and his fellow poseurs would rather claim a victory in the culture war than solve a problem.

Edit sorry bad work on my part

Pauline Kael fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jan 10, 2016

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

Pauline Kael posted:

Having lived in rural Missouri for most of my 29 years, yes, absolutely.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

The Insect Court posted:

Sure you can, because we continue to have no evidence that gun control will do anything to help control those crime rates. Which are, I note, still dropping as they have been since the 1990's, unchanged in any statistically provable way over the course of the AWB. This could be further speeded along by actually doing the tiniest little thing about the economic conditions that trap young black men in the school to prison cycle due to not having legitimate opportunities, or doing something about the War on Drugs legislation that puts so many of them behind bars in the first place and creates massive profit opportunities for criminal organizations running drugs and defending territory with violence.

But hey, sure, paint your ideological opposition as closet racists if that makes you sleep better at night.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jan 10, 2016

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

LeJackal posted:

Gun control is a red herring for people that don't want to address the actual issues.

Versus people that don't want to address firearms issues whatsoever, including an entire Congress that does nothing but say 'We're praying for you', and a Gun Rights Group that could give a poo poo?

Yes, there are further issues that encourage gun violence, but poverty and institutional racism are just portions. We can also deal with the gun control things, because it would probably also help.

:ironicat:

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

The Insect Court posted:

The top cause of death in my race and age group appears to be "poisonings" which means alcohol and drugs. Am I self-hating by being an opponent of alcohol prohibition and the drug war?

I guess the local gun range I go to is patronized by self-haters as well, man there sure are a lot of us.

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jan 10, 2016

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

evilweasel posted:

yeah i have no idea how people get tha

*another Pauline Kael post*

t silly idea, wherever does it come from, this idea about fervent "gun rights" people

How the mighty have fallen. Did you finally get a day job or something so you can't spend as much time sharing your deep wisdom?

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

MaxxBot posted:

The top cause of death in my race and age group appears to be "poisonings" which means alcohol and drugs. Am I self-hating by being an opponent of alcohol prohibition and the drug war?

I guess the local gun range I go to is patronized by self-haters as well, man there sure are a lot of us.

But not nearly as important as the egos of the people in this thread that would like to take their rights from them.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Pauline Kael posted:

How the mighty have fallen. Did you finally get a day job or something so you can't spend as much time sharing your deep wisdom?

He can't probate people who disagree with him anymore, so he's reduced to making whiny lowercase posts in gun threads.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

evilweasel posted:

Those people vote Republican anyway. Who cares? They're a minority of lunatics and the point is to split off the support from them.

No the people who are convinced of that already are the ones who already vote Republican. If you're trying to cast the NRA as lunatics who are are opposed to reasonable legislation so you isolate them and split off support from them the very last thing you'd want to do is loudly broadcast "yes we really are interested in banning all the guns." That doesn't make them look crazy, that validates their message and refusal to compromise in the eyes of anyone who is actually persuadable, and potentially breaks off support from people who want something done about gun violence and are amenable to gun-control legislation but don't want to see private gun ownership abolished.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Pauline Kael posted:

But not nearly as important as the egos of the people in this thread that would like to take their rights from them.

again, demonizing the opposition is only good when you do it

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

-Troika- posted:

He can't probate people who disagree with him anymore, so he's reduced to making whiny lowercase posts in gun threads.

so whats your excuse

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback

School Nickname posted:

As an idiot with virtually no knowledge of guns, and who has never fired a gun ever, can anything in the list of banned pistols kill a bear effectively? If not, why are you complaining? All I'm seeing (to my limited knowledge) are guns that are designed to kill people being banned.

I went back and glanced at the list in the OP. There are certainly a number of pistols on that list which would kill the hell out of a bear.

There are also a number of guns that are really nothing more than safe queens or overpriced toys. The SPAS-12 is there. The AUG is there. The loving PSG-1 is on that list. It's as though someone just went through a list of scary guns and copy-pasted them onto a bill.

For what it's worth, handguns are useful for defending yourself from animals, and not just bears. Dogs. Loose dogs can ruin your day, or your pet's day, and it isn't fun trying to fight an 80lb dog with no tools. They're way better at it.

I honestly don't know why the act of defending yourself with a firearm is such a bad one in the eyes of some people.

Astrofig posted:

Most people who don't like guns aren't afraid of guns in and of themselves, but the rabid-animal mentality that tends to come with owning a gun. Suddenly they tend to see 'enemies' everywhere, and the least little thing becomes worth killing someone over.

Less of a gun-person thing, more of a people thing. People are often myopic and kind of dumb. You could replace guns with rocket fists and the result would be the same. I live in a poor area and I've seen a lot of people beaten, stabbed, etc, over the dumbest poo poo.

Stupid people with guns are why I don't go to public gun ranges anymore, though.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

School Nickname posted:

Do you want to kill people efficiently?

Well if you want to kill a bear with a pistol you're probably talking about 44mag, 454 Casul, 460 mag, or 500 mag revolvers. Revolvers aren't as effective as semi-automatic handguns at killing people but they're more effective than semi-automatic shotguns or rifles which are mostly banned by this bill, while the aforementioned revolvers are not.

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jan 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

so whats your excuse

So you're either evilwesals parachute account or a pining suitor.

• Locked thread