Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Given the "Lover's Suicide Through Rakugo" in the title, I think it's fair to assume that the people doing rakugo together are lovers, or at least that there are feelings between those involved.

Tangent, I need to catch up on this show. It looks good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Holy hell, that episode went by crazy-fast. Hard to believe that it was full-length.

And not cool taking advantage of your new gay best friend like that, Miyokichi (seriously, that 'he isn't like that' was about as loaded as a line-reading can get).

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Ahh, Aragonaise! :swoon: Something from Carmen that's not Habanera, holy moly.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh boy, someone is jealous about Shin laying on Bon's lap.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
Well, that explains a bunch of things, in both the past and present arcs.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Holy poo poo, the direction of this show, some of the shots blew me out of the world.

Kiku's finally found his voice. He is not an ambitious man, he only sought a place in the world. But he is going to pay a dear price for his success. All the metaphorical bullets have been loaded in the chekov's gun pointed at those he loves.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
That was the best performance scene yet holy poo poo.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!
I love the rakugo dimension effect that has him off the stage and in the location that the story is taking place in. It was only used once, but it was a really cool effect similar to the OP.

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010

Roland Jones posted:

Given the "Lover's Suicide Through Rakugo" in the title, I think it's fair to assume that the people doing rakugo together are lovers, or at least that there are feelings between those involved.
I initially thought it was Sukeroku and his wife, because the timeline of their deaths fits committing double suicide in the Showa Genroku period (~1970). But Kikuhiko's performance in episode 6 makes it obvious that your assumption is correct.

This show is amazing. Acting, script, and soundtrack are all way above the bar for anime. It strikes the right balance of serious and melodramatic. It's actually upsetting me how good this is and how few other non-action/non-fantasy anime dramas about adults there are, because Rakugo Shinju reaches something that most anime aren't even trying at.

Saeku fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Feb 20, 2016

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Yakumo and Miyokichi's relationship was sad in a really deep way. I'm kind of shocked that they pulled it off so well.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
At this rate, this show is going to my anime of the year, and the year's just started.

All the characters feel so rounded. Where Kiku and Miyokichi project and manipulate their inner darkness, Sukeroku and Yakumo VII hide theirs in an attempt to control their domains.

Phobophilia fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Feb 27, 2016

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm going to check this out since it seems neat and i have caught up on the other shows I meant to watch this season

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

In Training posted:

I'm going to check this out since it seems neat and i have caught up on the other shows I meant to watch this season

It's good and I feel terrible that I've fallen so behind on it (and everything else this season)

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Everything Burrito posted:

It's good and I feel terrible that I've fallen so behind on it (and everything else this season)

anime is patent, watch when it's right for you

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
The problem is more keeps coming out!
So much stuff I want to watch from this season and next season and I still have stuff leftover from last season I never got to :negative:
I need one of those actual bad seasons to happen so I can get caught up.

Anyway I have been reading a bunch of manga and can confirm that The Rain in Montecarlo is a really good one-shot and check this guy out

I love her soft squishy cute art like in Itoshi no Nekkoke but she can definitely do sexy as well. I also love her droopy older man faces :3:
Speaking of which, Itoshi no Nekkoke is getting pretty regular updates for volume 3 but I'm not sure they're on Batoto you might have to look elsewhere for them.

I also read You in the Window finally which is I believe is either her first or second compilation. The stories were mostly bittersweet or with somewhat unsatisfying/unresolved endings and a few hit or miss moments but it's a solid anthology.

Since the Rakugo manga isn't being translated go read Kumota's other stuff because it's really good! I'd love to see more of her works licensed, I'd buy the hell out of Itoshi no Nekkoke or Rakugo (or well any of them tbh) even if they were only digital like the ones that have already been picked up.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Mar 1, 2016

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
They have to come back to the present, eventually, right?

3 episodes left.

Most recent episode: It's pretty clear that Michi is playing Shin. It's a direct callback to that one Rakugo skit Bon likes to do, where the hooker finds a merchant with whom to commit suicide, so she won't be lonely in the next world. She plans to die alongside him, punishing Bon by taking away the two people most dear to him. But we know that there has to have been a significant stretch of time between where we are now in the story and where Shin dies. For one thing, he has to get back into the good graces of the Rakugo-watching public, and start recording and selling LPs. And he raised his daughter long enough to make a distinct impression (I don't remember how old she was when he died, I feel like it was somewhere in the 6-10 year old range, though). So what sort of thing could have happened that would depress both Michi and Shin enough to dump their kid off on Bon and commit a double suicide just to hurt him after living successfully for a number of years?

I guess it could be the death of Yakumo 7, and Bon taking up the name?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Kytrarewn posted:

3 episodes left.

MAL says it's 13 episodes, so it should be 4 more.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Strange Quark posted:

MAL says it's 13 episodes, so it should be 4 more.

Did the double length first episode count as one episode or two?

(Somehow, despite the title being right in front of my face, I thought it was ep10).

Still, now that I think about it, I have to wonder about the above.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kytrarewn posted:

3 episodes left.

Most recent episode: It's pretty clear that Michi is playing Shin. It's a direct callback to that one Rakugo skit Bon likes to do, where the hooker finds a merchant with whom to commit suicide, so she won't be lonely in the next world. She plans to die alongside him, punishing Bon by taking away the two people most dear to him. But we know that there has to have been a significant stretch of time between where we are now in the story and where Shin dies. For one thing, he has to get back into the good graces of the Rakugo-watching public, and start recording and selling LPs. And he raised his daughter long enough to make a distinct impression (I don't remember how old she was when he died, I feel like it was somewhere in the 6-10 year old range, though). So what sort of thing could have happened that would depress both Michi and Shin enough to dump their kid off on Bon and commit a double suicide just to hurt him after living successfully for a number of years?

I guess it could be the death of Yakumo 7, and Bon taking up the name?

I think it was mentioned in passing that our two leads already did radio work, so the LPs are already out there. That probably just means things go way, way south in whatever village they have their daughter in, and that can happen pretty soon since Miyokichi already has a bun in the oven. Hell, given that we're talking about early-twentieth-century rural Japan, the 'suicide' could be leaving in the first place, and they get killed by a flash flood in the mountains or something.

Now kiss.

I don't think you'll get another opportunity.

:smith:

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Kytrarewn posted:

I've been thinking this.
I mean, I prefer the characters in the past, but it's really drat weird that they had like two episodes in the 'present' and then it was just "BYE! We're going back in time now, let's never speak of the future again!"

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

The_White_Crane posted:

I've been thinking this.
I mean, I prefer the characters in the past, but it's really drat weird that they had like two episodes in the 'present' and then it was just "BYE! We're going back in time now, let's never speak of the future again!"

That's the story, though. The present is a framing narrative. It's a very common literary conceit.

Did you think Wuthering Heights was going to be mainly about Lockwood's wacky hijinks with his weird new landlord?

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
This episode kicked my rear end holy poo poo. It felt longer than the opener and I never wanted it to end.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Kytrarewn posted:

Yeah, like the Berserk anime did

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Sukeroku is much more brittle than I had anticipated. He can dish it out, he can give strength to others, but flick his feet and his whole being tumbles down.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

When an episode doesn't do its OP and it's not the final episode, you know poo poo is gonna go down. :stare:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Those brief cuts to the water were just beautifully ominous.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
If there's a flaw with the show thus far, it's that Sukeroku hasn't been fully rounded out as a character. We see Kiku and Miyokichi's outer darkness, as well as Yakumo VII's inner darkness, but not Sukeroku's. We see his lack of discipline and lechery, and his love for Kiku and rakugo, but we don't see Sukeroku: the tortured artist who wishes to perform unique work, and cannot abide by tradition. They could have done something like show flashes of artistic frustration, and perhaps even jealousy at Kiku receiving favourable treatment. But this is forgivable, episodes 02-09 have been one long rakugo performance from the perspective of the elder Kiku depicting the younger Kiku, who still lacked insight into what drove his best friend. I do hope the show can properly contextualise Sukeroku.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
After the oppressive mood for the last handful of episodes, we needed some levity. Kid Konatsu is the most adorable thing.

Also, as soon as Yakumo VII started telling the story of the other apprentice, I knew he was talking about Sukeroku I. That was a cruel story, the Taisho era characters had none of the camaraderie of the Showa era characters. The Yakumo name always destroys the Sukeroku. But if there is a theme that will loop back to the beginning of this story, it is redemption across generations. In these kinds of stories, fathers are both more complete, yet more flawed than their children. Yakumo VII's rakugo displays aspects of both Kiku's and Sukeroku's, but at the same time, he lacks their empathy. And when the time comes, Yotaro and Konatsu will save Kiku from his own hand.

Edit: I swear, isn't Shinigami based on a Grimm fairy tale? The reaper standing at the foot vs the head, and the candles. But while Shinigami is a story of nihilism, the Grimm story is one of hubris.

Phobophilia fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Mar 12, 2016

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
For what it's worth, here's Shinigami in English (title suggests half of it, at least, I haven't finished watching yet):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zl-ET6lsndA

EDIT: I haven't been able to find shinagawa shinjuu, which is the one for which I've really been looking.

EDIT2: And here's the other "half" (last 50 seconds)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIM7_e52Ko8

Kytrarewn fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Mar 13, 2016

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Konatsu knows what's up.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Is next week the last episode? Because I don't want it to end :(

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

I hope the last episode is as long as the first episode at least.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
That probably won't happen, the first episode was actually the material from ovas released before the series began.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I think this series needs two more episodes: one to cap off the tragedy of Kiku's story, and another for Yotaro and Konatsu to absorb what they have learnt from Kiku, and use it to save Kiku from himself.

Apparently the anime is only adapting half the manga. But at the same time, I'm not sure where to go from there. Omata's previous show (Sankarea) incorporated a ton of sequel hooks, but the manga ended in ignominy and the later arcs were nowhere near as good. On the other hand, Rakugo Shinju's story feels complete with Kiku and Sukeroku's story, as Yotaro's journey is essentially self evident. Konatsu's journey, on the other hand, would be extremely interesting, I'd love to see her grow out of the shadow of her parents.

CryingAthena
Nov 12, 2013
Episode 12 was just...incredible. I am so sad and so angry at the same time.

Seriously though gently caress YURIE. JUST gently caress. HER. Should've jumped off that balcony all on her own.

"I'll just get knocked up with your best friend's baby, then abandon said friend and our baby and you'll totally take me back and forget about those other two, right?!" WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU.
Kiku should've gone :glompoff: on her. I was seriously hoping he would.

Well Konatsu, your mom was a horrible biatch till the very end and ended up dragging your dad down with her. Happy now?

Last episode next week. I don't know how I'll make it that long, I need to see it right now! :negative:

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I deeply admire how this show can be so engrossing while also feeling very grounded, so I'm not really happy when it turns into something so melodramatic :(. I think the situation could have been even more gut wrenching without a tumble out the window. I still love the show to death, and the rakugo that made up the bulk of the episode was so so good. I'm gonna be so sad when a weekend comes and there's no new episode, I need season 2.

Bern
Jul 1, 2009
I definitely remember Konatsu's flashback showing Kiku covered in blood holding Sukeroku's body. I'm wondering how much Kiku changed the ending.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

drat. That's all I can say now. drat.

The Devil Tesla posted:

I'm gonna be so sad when a weekend comes and there's no new episode, I need season 2.

What the hell is this? :catstare: It said episode 13 in the end, there better be episode 13 next week.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

What the hell is this? :catstare: It said episode 13 in the end, there better be episode 13 next week.

I said a weekend not next weekend. I'm sorry to scare you I'm preemptively morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

The Devil Tesla posted:

I said a weekend not next weekend. I'm sorry to scare you I'm preemptively morning.

:sympathy:

• Locked thread