Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is good, yeah?
I don't like it. More big government getting into our personal lives
I'm not comfortable with the FBI keeping a database like this because :words: Ron Paul 2016
If you have leather shoes but think torturing cats and dogs is wrong, you're a hypocrite
dog dead. so what
I agree with the felony charges for everything but the dogfucking
I think this law is great and will do a lot of good to protect those that cannot protect themselves and will also help prevent future crimes from happening to more pets and even humans
goku
View Results

• Locked thread
jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
http://uproxx.com/life/animal-abuse-fbi-felony-database/

http://uproxx.com/life/animal-abuse-fbi-felony-database/ posted:

The FBI Is Making Animal Abuse A Class A Felony

If you pay close attention to Facebook or watch the news, chances are that you often see upsetting images and stories that alert you to vicious crimes against scared and defenseless animals that occur every day all throughout this country (and this world). To say these actions are despicable is an understatement. To claim that justice is served by the light sentences often doled out in response to these vicious acts is lunacy. But the tide may be turning toward better reporting and recognizing (in a fuller way) the monstrosity at play when someone harms an animal, according to The Christian Science Monitor.

In 2016, the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) will begin collecting data on animal cruelty crimes throughout the country to prevent animal abuse and help flag those who might become violent offenders.

Animal cruelty crimes will now have their own organized category within the National Incident-Based Reporting System (NIBRS), the FBI’s public collection of national crime statistics.

Practically, this move is going to make it easier for authorities to track incidences of animal cruelty, which will then allow for a greater focus on hotspots where this behavior occurs in an effort to curb crime against human beings. The CSM article cites a study from the New York State Humane Association that indicates that 63 to 70% of convicted violent criminals have a history of animal abuse, so that’s not an inconsequential thing should authorities be able to apply more resources to areas of concern. That’s going to help humans and keep animals safe, in the long run, but is this ultimately a half-measure?

According to the CSM article:

Animal rights advocates and law enforcement will now have access to organized data on convicted animal abusers such as age, criminal history, and location.

What about names? Thanks to Megan’s Law, we make the names of sex offenders available to the public in an effort to keep children safe and away from predators. Should we be doing the same thing to animal abusers, making it impossible for them to adopt animals from shelters or buy them from pet shops? The Humane Society of the U.S. has voiced their concerns about such a list in the past due to the threat of public shaming, but others have countered that.

Chris Green of the Animal Legal Defense Fund, which has worked to set up a national registry, told Huffington Post in 2013 that their focus is in preventing abusers from getting access to animals, not “creating a gallery of people.”

Since those remarks, the idea of a registry has popped up in many states, with New York City and multiple counties within the state having set up their own “Do Not Adopt” lists. Something that is setting the tone nationwide, according to a New York Daily News interview with former City Councilman Peter Vallone Jr. from October.

“Other cities and states have looked at what we have done here in NYC to protect our animals, and are doing the same, […] There is even movement on the national level to get this done – so animals all over will be safer.”

Can the information on animal abusers collected by the NIBRS eventually help lead to a national “Do Not Adopt” database that is run by the government and capable of allaying concerns about privacy rights and public shaming while keeping animals safe? Time will tell if more states follow New York’s lead and if federal legislative action can be enacted, but the collection of this data is, at least, a positive step.

Thank loving god, finally. Remember when this piece of poo poo got zero jail time?

So let this be a warning to you deranged goons living in the USA: if you can't do the time, don't microwave your dog because you're mad at your mom. There will be consequences now.

:unsmith:

jenny jones fan fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jan 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

great now i want a hotpocket

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
im not reading all that. far out

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
You shouldn't be mean to animals, imo, unless they are trying to hurt or kill you.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Guess you're going to have to start treating your sister better OP. FBI going to arrest you otherwise.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
Spent all day yesterday killing dogs so I really caught a lucky break!

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Hector Beerlioz posted:

You shouldn't be mean to animals, imo, unless they are trying to hurt or kill you.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
>nice try

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

can you plead not guilty by reason of insanity for animal abuse charges?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

they're just tracking incidents of it op and gave it its own category for statistic purposes

there is no federal law against animal cruelty now or anything and states that don't have specific laws (there are 13 that do plus dc) aren't going to have new laws instituted

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Your posting is a Class A felony, OP.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Awesome, now we need to make it illegal for animals to kill other animals and we just might solve the pitbull problem.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

Blue Train posted:

they're just tracking incidents of it op and gave it its own category for statistic purposes

there is no federal law against animal cruelty now or anything and states that don't have specific laws (there are 13 that do plus dc) aren't going to have new laws instituted

It actually says in the title of the article "The FBI Is Making Animal Abuse A Class A Felony" but I have no clue why the felony part is not really in the article.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

symbolic posted:

can you plead not guilty by reason of insanity for animal abuse charges?

Guy I went to high school with this tried to play this game, but his council convinced him to change his plea because he killed an absolute poo poo ton of dogs. They threw the book at him too.

http://www.rgj.com/story/news/2015/10/01/reno-man-sentenced-worst-dog-killing-case-washoe-county/73182340/

I killed my dogs in the county over though so I'm good.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Melmac posted:

It actually says in the title of the article "The FBI Is Making Animal Abuse A Class A Felony" but I have no clue why the felony part is not really in the article.

they are misquoting it and it is actually group a felonies for the nibrs

The NIBRS collects data on each single incident and arrest within 22 offense categories made up of 46 specific crimes called Group A offenses. For each of the offenses coming to the attention of law enforcement, specified types of facts about each crime are reported. In addition to the Group A offenses, there are 11 Group B offense categories for which only arrest data are reported.

e: https://www2.fbi.gov/ucr/faqs.htm

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

WatermelonGun posted:

Guy I went to high school with this tried to play this game, but his council convinced him to change his plea because he killed an absolute poo poo ton of dogs. They threw the book at him too.

http://www.rgj.com/story/news/2015/10/01/reno-man-sentenced-worst-dog-killing-case-washoe-county/73182340/

I killed my dogs in the county over though so I'm good.
mmkay

i was just wondering because if you can't, that means you have less of a chance getting exonerated for animal abuse than for murder

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Is it now a felony to give monkeys diseases for medical study?

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
hurting animals is super gay don't do it.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Is it now a felony to give monkeys diseases for medical study?

you can't poz a monkey anymore sorry

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Commercial level mass animal cruelty still ok though don't worry farmers :homebrew:

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

symbolic posted:

mmkay

i was just wondering because if you can't, that means you have less of a chance getting exonerated for animal abuse than for murder

yeah he arrived in court in a bullet proof vest which was pretty :lol: since like 4 months prior I had jury duty in a case where this dude my age beat his own baby to the point of blindness and retardation but nobody gave a poo poo about that. love this city, and this planet.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Flannelette posted:

Commercial level mass animal cruelty still ok though don't worry farmers :homebrew:

Reminds me of how so many are uncomfortable with police murder yet they turn a blind eye to our military conducting strikes that kill thousands of innocent people in the Middle East.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
The urge to randomly kill animals is a strong one

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Blue Train posted:

you can't poz a monkey anymore sorry

OBAMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan

TEAYCHES posted:

Reminds me of how so many are uncomfortable with police murder yet they turn a blind eye to our military conducting strikes that kill thousands of innocent people in the Middle East.

I support all of that

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe
should be a class a felony to not click every option in a checkbox poll

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

WatermelonGun posted:

I need to know what this kid was like in High School.

Also it's pretty funny that his parents spent $100,000 on trying to help him, oh and also he's adopted. Imagine you try to do something so noble as to adopt a baby and give him a home and a life and you spend all your money and free time raising this child and he ends up doing this :stonklol:

WatermelonGun posted:

yeah he arrived in court in a bullet proof vest which was pretty :lol: since like 4 months prior I had jury duty in a case where this dude my age beat his own baby to the point of blindness and retardation but nobody gave a poo poo about that. love this city, and this planet.

I always see people saying stuff like this but I kind of understand why. It's not that people are less mad about a baby being killed. Obviously a baby being killed is way worse. But a baby being killed is guaranteed life in prison if not execution. People who torture animals are regularly given absolutely no time in jail or a trivial amount like 30 days (until now). So people are showing up pissed as hell to show the judge that you better not let this poo poo go with a slap on the wrist.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

Flannelette posted:

Actually, no. That guy caught on video torturing chickens to death at a farm he was working at in North Carolina was just sentenced to prison.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Put all snake and pitbull owners on the list proactively, then maybe it'll be useful :colbert:

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Melmac posted:

People who torture animals are regularly given absolutely no time in jail or a trivial amount like 30 days (until now).

once again this isn't changing, here is a less biased source. note how submission of the statistics is also voluntary

This year, for the first time, the FBI will track animal abuse the same way it tracks crimes such as homicide, arson, and assault. After years of lobbying, the bureau agreed in 2014 to make animal cruelty a Class A felony with its own category, and started tracking cases this year, the Washington Post reports. Previously, animal cruelty crimes were reported to the FBI as "other." The change will allow animal rights advocates to easily see whether abuse is going up or down, and it could even alert authorities to criminals who might eventually turn to violent crime against people: The deputy executive director of the National Sheriffs' Association backed the change when he learned that many serial killers are animal abusers first. Collecting animal abuse data could help "flag" future violent offenders, as many as 70% of whom may have abused animals first, the Christian Science Monitor reports.

Animal cruelty, organized into four categories (simple or gross neglect, intentional abuse and torture, animal sexual abuse, and organized abuse like dogfighting and cockfighting), will have its own category within the National Incident-Based Reporting System, but actually reporting to NIBRS is voluntary, so animal rights advocates must convince local law enforcement agencies to do so. Once in the NIBRS, law enforcement and animal rights advocates will be able to access the age, criminal history, and location of convicted animal abusers, and having enough data could help authorities to see trends or notice "hotspots" of activity on which they should focus resources. "When the FBI says animal cruelty is important and we are going to track it, it sends a message to others in law enforcement and the community at large saying ‘pay attention to this,'" says a senior adviser at the Animal Welfare Institute, which worked with the FBI on making the change

e: in 13 states and Washington, D.C., neglecting an animal is considered a felony. In all but two states, so-called affirmative acts of abuse are a felony on the first offense, though that can be subjective.

Blue Train fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jan 9, 2016

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

TEAYCHES posted:

I was thinking about that when Obama gave his speech, weeping over the dead in America, I guess all those weddings being drone-striked and hospitals being blown up to combat terrorism just doesn't have the same effect as an elementary school being shot up by a home-grown terrorist.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

a bone to pick posted:

I was thinking about that when Obama gave his speech, weeping over the dead in America, I guess all those weddings being drone-striked and hospitals being blown up to combat terrorism just doesn't have the same effect as an elementary school being shot up by a home-grown terrorist.

those are terrorists and terrorist sympathizers not people hth

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Melmac posted:

I need to know what this kid was like in High School.

He was a rich shithead. He took a bunch of ecstasy on prom night and drove his hummer up into the hills where he rolled it repeatedly, but it was chill, his parents got him a new one within the week.

We had weights together for years and he called me a human being all the time cuz I was a longhair thrash kid. Good guy sorry to see him go down.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

WatermelonGun posted:

He was a rich shithead. He took a bunch of ecstasy on prom night and took his hummer up into the hills where he rolled it repeatedly, but it was chill, his parents got him a new one within the week.

We had weights together for years and he called me a human being all the time cuz I was a longhair thrash kid. Good guy sorry to see him go down.
long haired thrash kid, woooo :megadeath:

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

I'd make a Morally Inept joke, but it's best to let sleeping dogs lie.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

Blue Train posted:

once again this isn't changing, here is a less biased source. note how submission of the statistics is also voluntary

This year, for the first time, the FBI will track animal abuse the same way it tracks crimes such as homicide, arson, and assault. After years of lobbying, the bureau agreed in 2014 to make animal cruelty a Class A felony with its own category, and started tracking cases this year, the Washington Post reports. Previously, animal cruelty crimes were reported to the FBI as "other." The change will allow animal rights advocates to easily see whether abuse is going up or down, and it could even alert authorities to criminals who might eventually turn to violent crime against people: The deputy executive director of the National Sheriffs' Association backed the change when he learned that many serial killers are animal abusers first. Collecting animal abuse data could help "flag" future violent offenders, as many as 70% of whom may have abused animals first, the Christian Science Monitor reports.

Animal cruelty, organized into four categories (simple or gross neglect, intentional abuse and torture, animal sexual abuse, and organized abuse like dogfighting and cockfighting), will have its own category within the National Incident-Based Reporting System, but actually reporting to NIBRS is voluntary, so animal rights advocates must convince local law enforcement agencies to do so. Once in the NIBRS, law enforcement and animal rights advocates will be able to access the age, criminal history, and location of convicted animal abusers, and having enough data could help authorities to see trends or notice "hotspots" of activity on which they should focus resources. "When the FBI says animal cruelty is important and we are going to track it, it sends a message to others in law enforcement and the community at large saying ‘pay attention to this,'" says a senior adviser at the Animal Welfare Institute, which worked with the FBI on making the change

e: in 13 states and Washington, D.C., neglecting an animal is considered a felony. In all but two states, so-called affirmative acts of abuse are a felony on the first offense, though that can be subjective.

Why would this website lie to me. Don't ruin this for me drat you

WatermelonGun posted:

He was a rich shithead. He took a bunch of ecstasy on prom night and took his hummer up into the hills where he rolled it repeatedly, but it was chill, his parents got him a new one within the week.

But he told the judge he was "destined to do great things" and "even had a dog that I loved to go hunting with" and "just give me like 4 or 5 more chances and I swear I won't videotape myself torturing dogs again probably".

I wish they interviewed the parents. I wonder if they paid good money for his lawyer or were like "welp gently caress this kid" after the videotape surfaced.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Blue Train posted:

those are terrorists and terrorist sympathizers not people hth

Wow, I guess that's one way to "other" dead small children.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Melmac posted:

Why would this website lie to me. Don't ruin this for me drat you

But he told the judge he was "destined to do great things" and "even had a dog that I loved to go hunting with" and "just give me like 4 or 5 more chances and I swear I won't videotape myself torturing dogs again probably".

I wish they interviewed the parents. I wonder if they paid good money for his lawyer or were like "welp gently caress this kid" after the videotape surfaced.

They paid an absolute fortune. Also don't forget he was mainlining meth while shredding up said dogs.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

TEAYCHES posted:

Wow, I guess that's one way to "other" dead small children.

it is literally how the media otherizes them so yes, it is one way that seems to work considering no one cares

almost as though the media is like a fourth branch of the government, hrmery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax
The pussification of America continues.

• Locked thread