Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is good, yeah?
I don't like it. More big government getting into our personal lives
I'm not comfortable with the FBI keeping a database like this because :words: Ron Paul 2016
If you have leather shoes but think torturing cats and dogs is wrong, you're a hypocrite
dog dead. so what
I agree with the felony charges for everything but the dogfucking
I think this law is great and will do a lot of good to protect those that cannot protect themselves and will also help prevent future crimes from happening to more pets and even humans
goku
View Results

• Locked thread
Macrowave Oven
Nov 20, 2008

Guitar, bass, drums, keyboards, clavinet, piano, keytar, lap steel guitar, slide bass guitar, mandolin, violin, and FRESH POTS.

TEAYCHES posted:

The concept of "irony" is something that I hope we get over. It's cool to be earnest in 2016, that's my pledge for this year. This is the year when sincerity wins.

It's like boy howdy I sure am getting my face melted by all these hard up trooths getting der-opped onto my pinko em-pa-pathetic sad brain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015
sincerity will always be as cool as being high on jesus and just as worthy of utter contempt and derision

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

blowfish posted:

yes it's because only people who never have to worry about their food and comfort can possibly spare time to get into dumb poo poo like conspiracy theories or animal rights

Exactly, and poverty has been reduced drastically worldwide over the last few decades (large in part to China, where there is a massive growing animal rights movement). My hope is that humanity as a whole moves towards having to worry about food and security less, and more towards prosperity. From all evidence I've seen, this will lead to more concern for how animals are treated. It's actually a good thing for people to be freed from day-to-day insecurity and fear.

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015
sincerity is what got us bronies and stephen gooniversers

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Macrowave Oven posted:

It's like boy howdy I sure am getting my face melted by all these hard up trooths getting der-opped onto my pinko em-pa-pathetic sad brain.

I'm sorry?

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

blowfish posted:

yes it's because only people who never have to worry about their food and comfort can possibly spare time to get into dumb poo poo like conspiracy theories or animal rights

stop posting youre embarrassing yourself

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

error1 posted:

I am a little concerned by the amount of goons that are perfectly ok with torturing and/or loving animals

You should be, SA's had this odd super vocal minority that loves to come on and scream how much they want to eat dogs while watching videos of a mentally ill hillbilly torturing pigs over at TFR.

They've always been here and sadly have been the one group that's stuck around.

ED: I think this same group was responsible for 99% of the super racist, zero-comedy threads that popped up when the GBS rules were completely removed, so take of that what you will.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

blowfish posted:

depends on which research question you have
if it's about how behaviour works in a group setting in normal conditions etc then you do the first and if you care about how these behaviours change under specific stress situation you do the second

the second is harder to get approved because of dumbasses in approval committees who have never handled a live animal other than their dog but it has its purpose

remove the social study aspect, replace it with infectious diseases

you still have the same two processes and you still have the hosed up one way in the lead because it's cheaper

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015
sincerity will eventually result in you dressing up as doctor who and actually going out into public - and not necessarily to the local anime club meeting

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

cram me sideways posted:

sincerity will eventually result in you dressing up as doctor who and actually going out into public - and not necessarily to the local anime club meeting

I don't like Doctor Who or Animé.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

blowfish posted:

e.g. the central pattern generators for any kind of periodic movement control etc were found by sawing cat skulls open and progressively cutting through the brain down to the stem till movements became less regular and than stopped

Why do you know/care about this? Do you work in medicine? Which hospitals should we be avoiding? :ohdear:

If you are already got a job dissecting lab animals I guess that explains why you've convinced yourself that animals are worthless. Sort of like how working at a slaughterhouse drains you of empathy the first week and you just become a mindless robot.

I've been computer janitoring at a hospital for years and doctors are loving weird. So many god complexes, yet they don't understand the most basic retarded computer poo poo.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

TEAYCHES posted:

Exactly, and poverty has been reduced drastically worldwide over the last few decades (large in part to China, where there is a massive growing animal rights movement). My hope is that humanity as a whole moves towards having to worry about food and security less, and more towards prosperity. From all evidence I've seen, this will lead to more concern for how animals are treated. It's actually a good thing for people to be freed from day-to-day insecurity and fear.

animal rights are one of the more useless things bored middle class people get into so at best they are a dumb side effect of things getting better overall

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

cram me sideways posted:

what are you even talking about

jesus crhist this thread is bad

blowfish posted:

animal rights are one of the more useless things bored middle class people get into so at best they are a dumb side effect of things getting better overall

stop posting

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015

TEAYCHES posted:

I don't like Doctor Who or Animé.

look to your left. what is there

oh the complete collection of the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. H-how that get there.......

look down. what is on your feet.

socks and sandals. socks and goddamn sandals.

because you said to yourself "I don't care how it looks; it's comfortable"

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

TEAYCHES posted:

I agree that slaughtering animals for food is pretty hosed up and a huge contradiction but until it becomes more convenient to be a vegetarian than not I'll continue being a monster.

To be honest it would be far, far easier and more sustainable if we went that way, but we won't because 'MURICANS LOVE BEEF :btroll:

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

blowfish posted:

lol some species of primate capture wild dog pups and keep them for security and companionship so lol @ being less well adjusted than the things you want to experiment on

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

blowfish posted:

I agree that people are poor at rating what's important. Though I think animal rights are good - though not high in importance - I know many liberals who, like with the Cecil the Lion thing, will flip out about it but then ignore their own government conducting strikes that murder tens of thousands of innocent people. How's that for priorities? These are the kind of people who support Hillary Clinton.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

I'm okay with a person getting a long sentence for torturing animals, because it is insanely easy not to torture animals.

Macrowave Oven
Nov 20, 2008

Guitar, bass, drums, keyboards, clavinet, piano, keytar, lap steel guitar, slide bass guitar, mandolin, violin, and FRESH POTS.

blowfish posted:

Protesting is one thing but I've met people who casually mention that they may have thrown a cat off a balcony or starved their pets ("oops lol") and those people have turned out to be rear end hats.

You're calling us bleeding hearts, we're calling you Ted Bundy.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

error1 posted:

Why do you know/care about this? Do you work in medicine? Which hospitals should we be avoiding? :ohdear:

If you are already got a job dissecting lab animals I guess that explains why you've convinced yourself that animals are worthless. Sort of like how working at a slaughterhouse drains you of empathy the first week and you just become a mindless robot.

I've been computer janitoring at a hospital for years and doctors are loving weird. So many god complexes, yet they don't understand the most basic retarded computer poo poo.

no actually not, i work on insects and dabble in conservation
but it's pretty cool to sit in on people who actually do mammal physiology and watching them look at some organ system, kinda like dissecting an old broken radio to see which part does what and which part broke

i don't have to deal with dumb poo poo animal rights protestors whining about animal cruelty for most insects, though weirdly enough butterflies are an exception in that they provoke a "don't hurt him/her" reaction in idiots despite being just as dumb as the average house fly (maybe it's because animal rights idiots are stupid and actually only care about cute pretty fluffy/colourful animals until they get reminded that other animals are animals too)
but in conservation work animal rights bullshit has spilled over from biomedical people issues to the point that when doing population genetics etc it's easier to get a license to kill loving everything than to take like a square millimetre of skin sample that grows back in a week and doesn't hurt the animal, so you just get a license to kill loving everything

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jan 9, 2016

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

If someone casually mentions killing cats or laughing at animal death, that could be a possible red flag if you are looking to date them.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

I've never once punched a dog, or killed a cat, in anger

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Zelder posted:

I've never once punched a dog, or killed a cat, in anger

but you ran one over in your car, which is different because

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

I think it's time you hear my thoughts on killing animals: I think it's okay, they're not even people" - an excerpt from the worst first date ever

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

blowfish posted:

The intention and how you feel about it afterward, which are both important aspects of human personality.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

somuch_gravy posted:

new york city still has pet stores that sell puppy mill animals n poo poo.
new york can suck a dick

You can thank Bloomberg for that. He also vetoed a bill that would make sure people who torture animals could not adopt pets for 5 years after their latest animal abuse charge. Imagine vetoing that when it comes across your desk :cripes:

He sure as gently caress tried to get large sodas banned, though!! :thumbsup:

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

blowfish posted:

Man slaughter (cat slaughter) and first degree murder and keeping a person chained up and torturing them are different crimes and are prosecuted differently

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

TEAYCHES posted:

The intention and how you feel about it afterward, which are both important aspects of human personality.

so essentially it's about how you feel about you are self because of your beliefs about cats

the cat doesn't loving care

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

blowfish posted:

so essentially it's about how you feel about you are self because of your beliefs about cats

It's less about the cat than what you can learn about someone's personality from their emotional response to violent events.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Melmac posted:

You can thank Bloomberg for that. He also vetoed a bill that would make sure people who torture animals could not adopt pets for 5 years after their latest animal abuse charge. Imagine vetoing that when it comes across your desk :cripes:

bloomberg: looking out for public health while keeping pointless bullshit out of the already-bloated us legal system

ban this sick filth

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

blowfish posted:

Running over someone's cat is a destruction of someone's property and there should probably be some kind of punishment if you're determined to be at fault

Aug 4, 2010

cat would kill you if they could

http://www.research.ed.ac.uk/portal/files/17472323/Personality_Structure_in_the_Domestic_Cat.pdf

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

TEAYCHES posted:

It's less about the cat than what you can learn about someone's personality from their emotional response to violent events.

you are making an argument that people who like to torture cats should be sat down with a psychologist to make sure they don't want to move on to people

so again i'll make the comparison to star trek and pedos, in that it may be worth having plainclothes fbi officers go to star trek conventions but star trek in itself isn't the problem

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

For example, if I were a parent and my child negligently killed their hamster through a moment of carelessness, I would be less concerned about than if they killed their hamster through more serious negligence or, worse, enjoyment. This is an indicator of broader personality traits.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Zelder posted:

Running over someone's cat is a destruction of someone's property and there should probably be some kind of punishment if you're determined to be at fault

what if it's a stray cat

what if you're in australia and the loving stray cat would be eating all the native wildlife to extinction

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

I'm glad I'm never have to run into people who think torturing cats is rad because they're too busy stalking the night killing skunks

Mr. McGibblets
Sep 17, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
What if Dinosaurs come back are we just supposed to let them loving kill us?!?! Major oversight by the FBI.

somuch_gravy
Oct 25, 2014

this place is good and not bad

Melmac posted:

what an rear end :jerkbag:

I went into one once a couple years ago just to see what was goin' on and this guy had a dead cat in one of the cages.
I let him know so he could get rid of the thing and he chuckled and told me he'd sell it to me half price
no poo poo

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

blowfish posted:

so again i'll make the comparison to star trek and pedos, in that it may be worth having plainclothes fbi officers go to star trek conventions but star trek in itself isn't the problem

tell us more about how you for real seriously i swear to god are not a pedophile

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

blowfish posted:

(maybe it's because animal rights idiots are stupid and actually only care about cute pretty fluffy/colourful animals

You might have :spergin: if you think that people wouldn't be angered at someone needlessly torturing a raccoon or other ugly animal to death. People were loving furious at that chicken-torture video; enough so that the guy got arrested, and chickens are the ugliest loving things on the planet and the opposite of cute. 4chan went ballistic when those two Florida girls uploaded videos of them torturing a turtle to death; they doxxed them, notified their schools, and got them arrested. Turtles aren't cuddly. Congrats, you have less empathy than 4chan posters.

blowfish posted:

If you don't see the difference between torturing a dog or cat to get an erection and accidentally hitting one that darted in front of your car, you definitely have :spergin:

jenny jones fan fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jan 9, 2016

• Locked thread