Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Me "IRL" :smug:
Fun Shoe

TedTalks - Emergence: Threats and Opportunities with Dr. Freida Payne posted:

"The Emergence shattered preconceived notions, it challenged established knowledge and established faith and our established understandings of how the world works. How it's always worked.
None of us were ready for it, and really, no one's been unaffected. You may not have been in Premonition when it happened, you may not know someone directly who is now known to be Emergent, but even then - science has an entirely new field of study, religions have to try and define the Emergent now, socially, fiscally, militarily - we all have to work on figuring out where this fits in. What it means. And perhaps most importantly, what it can teach us.

Because the Emergence wasn't a freak accident. The Emergent aren't random accidents. And, to go against the public perception of some of them - they aren't monsters, they aren't gods or aliens. In every test I've made, I've come to the same conclusion - these are humans. Their genetic structure is, at the base, the same as ours. So what are they? What do they represent?

Evolution. We know we've been there for a long, long time. If some of them are to be believed, their kind has existed for as long as we had stories for those things we couldn't explain. So does that make them an offshoot? Or the next step? Are they a multitude of branches off of the tree of humanity? Or are they representative of evolution's stuttering steps onward, into the future? Well, only time will tell..."

Issue 1: Graduation Day

It's been a week since your "debut" premature though it was - your battle against the villainous Imperisaurus Rex has certainly been the talk of the town. And, well...the media has been mixed. Primarily against you, what you did. Which, really, could be seen as unfair. But the tagline that the news is going with is "Terror on the Overpass", thanks to the paper the morning after your fight. Thankfully, your rescue of the chief of the police means they've stayed off your back, though they can't publicly approve of your actions - but that hasn't stopped protests across town or local radio and news outlets condemning what they saw as another row between Emergent factions.

Thankfully, Dr. Payne and the staff of the Prometheus Institute has kept you busy - still testing your limits, seeing how you've been coping with...everything that's happened recently, and documenting everything, as always.

The Institute's campus is huge, massively so given the small student body and research time. Just you six, Dr. Payne, and a handful of scientists. Still, there's enough room in the (well-equipped) dormitories for at least 500 students, enough laboratories and classrooms to rival the most well-equipped universities and research stations across the globe. A full stocked cafeteria with a quite talented staff, and an unnecessarily large custodial staff, as well. All funded by Dr. Payne's research, of course, though answerable, ultimately, only to her and the board of investors, whoever those are.

In the past week, Dr. Payne has left the day to day of things to her support staff - it's a mostly autonomous schedule at this point anyway - twice a week you're each given checkups, mostly of your metabolic rates, your heart beats and lungs and all that - frequent physicals can be annoying but given how...different some of you are to the baseline, Dr. Payne's explained - it's a way to make a new baseline for your individual needs. There's classes, of course, since you're all minors and this place at least pretends to be a private school for your benefits - though it's mostly automated; a series of videos explaining concepts with plenty of room for independent study - though many of the courses are quite advanced as compared to what you're used to (it seems Dr. Payne based the curriculum on her own experience at your age, as opposed to a normal person's). There's also a rather large gymnasium, an olympic-sized swimming pool, and a basketball court, a track, and a baseball diamond. The Institute is self-sufficient, having it's own power grid (after Dr. Payne's experiments caused a blackout it was decided it'd be best to get off the city's) and water supply. How she managed all this so quickly after the Emergence is really anybody's guess, though her investors probably ponied up some significant capitol to get everything up and running so quickly.

But that brings us to each of you: being that it's the weekend (finally), no one has any required classes or checkups, though as always a trip into town is complicated since just about any of you could be recognized from your battle a week earlier, and that means sneers and insults, at best. Some of you can probably make the pretense of not being Emergent, and some of you...can't. So where are you now? And what are you planning to do with your day?

Astraea, your mother has been fairly hand's off for most of your time at the Institute, but since your row with Rex, she's given you a bit more attention, primarily out of pride at how you and your team handled yourselves, of course, but there's been talk of bringing you into the Pantheon directly now. Just mutterings and "someday", but it has a different tone than before. You get the sense she means possibly someday soon. But you just got yourselves established here, didn't you? Still, given the friction that the locals are giving, this isn't precisely what you've predicted either, is it?

Diesel, your former friends surely saw the newsreel of the battle, and undoubtedly weren't particularly impressed with it. Still, someone must have been impressed with you kicking rear end up there - I mean, you were fighting a dinosaur man trying to steal booze, how awesome is that!? Who was it whose contacted you to express some excitement about what you've done. And...what do your parents think, anyway? And, aren't you worried about the other Horsemen or even the good Doctor himself showing up again now that you've gone public?

Mongoose, thankfully, given your whole mask thing, you don't have to worry about being spotted around town, yourself. At least, so long as you keep everything on the down-low, that is. That being said, do you prefer to stay covered up, on the campus? Or are you taking the day to go be a "normal" girl in the meantime? If you've gone to town, what's the atmosphere like out there? I mean, the social atmosphere, of course. How are people talking about your time and the battle? Have you heard anything in support of what you've done? Have you gotten involved in any debates?

Aurora, training is always difficult, isn't it? Doesn't it feel like that staff pushes you so much harder than everyone else here? That being said, with it being the weekend, they're at least giving you some latitude today, though as always they recommend you try some of the meditation techniques they've been pushing you to learn in your off-hours. But, are you taking them up on that or not? If not, what is it you're up to today, anyway? What's worrying you more than anything else right now?

Lurker, obviously, going outside the Institute is tricky for you right now - which doesn't mean you can't, of course, but if you are going out on your day off, are you doing anything to keep your unique appearance under wraps to avoid persecution? Or are you letting your freak flag fly and heading out for all the world to see, drat what they think? Either way, Dr. Payne was nice enough to give you a lab to keep some "pets" in - what creepy-crawlers have you been training with recently? Anything on the agenda for today with them or for another bug?

Svarthilde, you've been having some strange dreams recently - dreams are always pretty important aren't they? Since they obviously are trying to tell you something important, something about Destiny, and all that. What have your dreams been like since the fight? In addition, the woman who claims to be related to you has been especially vitriolic in the media since your fight with Rex - what has she said that's gotten under your skin? Have you been in contact with anybody from the Aesir since the fight? Has anyone said anything about it? Isn't it strange how the humans of Midgard treat their saviors, anyway?

OOC Note: OOC thread is here
Influence sheet is here please keep track on NPCs on the npc list (because I'm lazy)

In addition, make sure you link your sheet or include it in your first post so it's easy to find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Freak: 0 Danger: -1 Savior: 3 Superior: 0 Mundane: 1

The sun streaming in the window slowly brings me from the land of dreams to this Saturday morning, and not an alarm, which means today is already starting out great! Waking up with a mighty yawn and giant stretch, I stare up at the ceiling, grinning sleepily. Since it's the weekend, you can definitely bet I just lay in bed for a few minutes, enjoying the sensation of the sunlight, the warmth and comfort of the covers all snuggled around me. It's nice. No reason to get up early today, or rush to anything. No annoying classes to attend - Doc Payne was a massive nerd in high school, and thinks we should be too - and no checkups where I end up being beyond perfectly healthy every time yet I keep having to do them, there's not even forms or questionnaires to fill out. Nah, today's gonna be fun, I can feel it already!

Hoping out of bed - I'll fix the covers later - I traipse groggily over to the desk, opening my laptop to put some music on and check messages and stuff. After three tries I manage to get my password right, get something good on (ever since Svarthilde put Queen on after our fight with Imperisaurus Rex, I've been listening to them a lot), and like a picture that Cassie uploaded of herself, which means it's time to showered and changed.

Once that's done and I'm out of my pajamas and into some comfortable jeans, t-shirt, and jacket, the real question becomes what to do today. Think I feel like going out and having fun. Maybe a movie? Definitely hang out with friends. Whatever it is I'm gonna do, it's not gonna be in my bedroom, so I head for the door.

Walking out into the hallway, it's still bewildering just how big this Institute is when there's only six students here. It could hold like, a hundred times that number. I mean there's all the adults around here and Doc Payne, but there's still an almost pervasive emptiness to the place. It rather much reminds me of an ancient temple, in use again for the first time in millenia... but perhaps that's just because mom's been bugging me so much recently, Pantheon stuff's sort of on my mind.

I mean... we win ONE public battle (in a super cool way, and I did go toe to toe with a dinosaur man!) and suddenly there's a TON of pressure about joining the Pantheon. Like, I get that there's an important destiny for me, I've got responsibilities as the new Goddess of Purity and Justice... but I don't feel ready for them yet. Don't get me wrong, I'm really powerful compared to like, every other emergent I've met, I'm getting good at this heroing stuff. I just, well, I just don't feel like I'm up to safeguarding the whole world yet. I can barely even pass the stupid tests for Doc Payne's classes!

While I've been brooding about all the dumb pressure in my life, I've also been walking - since the staff here has expressed that they hate it when we super-speed around in the corridors - towards Aurora's room. You'd think it'd make sense for all our rooms to by right next to each other, but of course they're not. Doc Payne probably did some extremely complicated statistical analysis or whatever, and put us in rooms based on that, because her Emergent Power is Overcomplicating Everything. Knocking a few time on Aurora's door the same way I always do, I cup my hands around my mouth to make sure she can hear me through the door. "Morning Aurora!" I'm hoping I didn't wake her up. "Wanna grab breakfast, then go see a movie?"

Start of Session Legacy Roll
(Rauri-phone) !r 2d6+3
(Krysmbot) Rauri-phone, 6+3 = 9

(Rauri-phone) On a 7-9, another is upset with your most recent actions, and will make their displeasure known.
So Talos, Cassie, or Virgo is mad at Astraea.

quote:

Hero Name: Astraea
"Secret" Identity: Katrina Kritikos
Mask: Legacy
Look: Female, Greek, Trendy Clothes, Modern Costume
Origin: Teenage demigod
Abilities: Mythic might, legendary speed, god-like beauty

Labels:
Freak: 0
Danger: -1
Savior: +3
Superior: 0
Mundane: +1

Moves
Fight the good fight
When you directly engage a threat that immediately endangers civilians, you can roll + Savior instead of + Danger.

Never give up, never surrender
When you take a powerful blow, use this move instead of the base move. Roll + Savior. On a hit, you stand strong and choose one. On a 7-9, mark a condition.
- You get an opportunity or opening against your attacker.
- You rally from the hit, and it inspires the team. Add a team to the pool.
- You keep your attacker's attention.
On a miss, you go down hard but leave your opponent off balance and vulnerable.

Team Moves
When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, tell them whether you see them as an equal. If you do, give them Influence over you and mark potential. If you don't, shift Superior up and any other label down.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, tell them a secret about your legacy (including your own true feelings about it) to clear a Condition and give them Influence over you.

When our team first came together…

All things considered, we did well and impressed an established hero. Who was it?

Relationships
You once got caught breaking your legacy's rules with ______________.
You trust ______________ and told them an important secret of your legacy.

Influence
You're a part of this team, for better or worse, and you care what they think. Give influence to all of your teammates.

The Legacy posted:

Legacy
Your legacy is an important part of Premonition. Name the different members of your legacy (at least two):
Virgo is retired and judgmental.
Cassandra is the next possible member of your legacy.
Talos is the greatest opponent your legacy ever faced...and is still at large.

At the start of the session, roll +Savior to see how the members of your legacy feel or react to your most recent exploits. On a hit, one of them offers you meaningful encouragement, an opportunity, or an advantage. On a 7-9, another is upset with your most recent actions, and will make their displeasure known. On a miss, something you did stirred up the hornet's nest---expect several members of your legacy to meddle with your life. Your legacy comes with traditions you're expected to uphold. At the end of each session, ask the other players to answer these questions about your performance. For each “no” answer, take -1 forward on your next start of session roll.
- Did you uphold the traditions of your legacy?
- Did you maintain the image of your legacy?
- Did you make the other members of your legacy proud?

Virgo - My Mother, the original Astraea and an actual Goddess. Doesn't really get the differences between the ancient and modern worlds.

Cassandra "Cassie" Kritikos - My younger sister and next in line to be Astraea. She's kinda boring and way too serious all the time.

Talos - An immortal warlord that craves destruction and conquest (but mostly destruction). This guy is a huge jerk.

Rauri fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jan 10, 2016

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Freak +3, Danger +1, Savior 0 Superior 0, Mundane -1

My own lab... words cannot describe how much I've been looking forward to this when Dr. Payne told me I'd be getting one. I mean, my situation is kinda lovely, but it did come with a superpower. It just needs a lot more thinking and tinkering than most other powers... but that also means it's harder to predict. So, in other words, right up my alley. And, considering my power actually gives me an 'biological overview' of the insect I'm, uh, inspecting, I've been able to come up with some ideas...

Besides, this also gives me something to do that isn't dying from boredom or keeping the rest of the team from having a normal life. ... well, poo poo now I'm already in a bad mood again.

But anyway, not only did I get a lab, I also got permission to request insects at my leisure. Which... is kind of amazing. Right now, I've got a little breeding ground for Darwin's Bark spiders set up. With just a little bit of time, I should be able to improve the costumes of the others a lot. if I got this correct, I should be able to make bulletproof clothing that is nowhere as heavy as kevlar. According to online sources, anyway...

And, other than that? One of nature's lovely inventions, Paraponera clavata. Bullet ants. A single sting of those is usually enough to incapacitate a normal human being. In situations that require it, these should prove incredibly useful. Especially since I can have wasps or whatever give them an airlift.

But, eh, all of this will take time. I guess I could hang out a bit with Mongoose a bit. Both her and I will probably need armored costumes first. Might as well go ask her for the measurements while I'm at it.

Turning my computer (specially made, of course. Wouldn't want it constantly being damaged by tiny parts of my chitin getting into the inner workings or whatever...) off, I shut off the lights in my room. Looking around just reminds me that my night vision is actually pretty drat good. Which is interesting, considering quite a few of insects have bad eyesight, right? It actually gets me thinking, what creepy crawly am I actually supposed to go after? I mean, I can climb a wall like a spider can, but those got lovely eyesight. And no chitin armor. Hm... maybe it's not styled after an actually existing bug. Oh well.

Anyway, time to get out of this lab and go meet up with Mongoose. As I ascend the stairs from the basement, I'm beginning to wonder if putting my lab in the basement was just a coincidence or if Dr. Payne's idea of humor. Oh well...

Now that I'm in the hallways, I realize just how empty this place ISN'T. She thinks my insects are the only ones in here, but there are so many places they're hiding. Like, in the wall, below the computer rooms desks, hell, there's even like 3 different spiders hanging out in her room right now! But, eh. I'm not about to tell her that. She'd probably just make me do pest control in my spare time, and screw that. I've got my own stuff to do.

Finally arriving at her place, I knock on the door. As I do, I wonder why she didn't just put our rooms closer together. Some sort of safety distance, maybe? I mean, my power doesn't really do collateral damage all that much, but I guess I'm glad there's a lot of, you know, building between me and Aurora.

quote:

[
Name: Lurker / Natalie Jäger
Look: Female, White, Chitinous Flesh, No Costume, Insect Eyes
Mask: The Transformed
Abilities: Plant Insect Affinity, Superhuman Senses (See, hear and feel through controlled insects)

Stats:

Moves:
Not Human Enough: When you directly engage a threat in a terrifying fashion, mark a condition to choose an additional option, even on a miss.

Coming for you: When you mark a condition, Take +1 forward against the person you most blame for causing it.

Be the Monster: When you frighten, intimidate, or cow others with your monstrous form, roll +Freak. On a hit, they are thrown off and make themselves vulnerable to you, or they flee. On a 10+, choose 1. On a 7-9, choose 2.
- You frighten others you had not intended to scare.
- You hurt someone or break something you shouldn't have.
- You feel like more of a monster afterward; mark a condition (GM's choice).

On a miss, they react with violence, hatred, and paranoia, and you suffer the brunt of it.

We drew attention and ire from plenty during the fight. One important person in particular now hates and fears us. Who is it?

Relationships
___________________ comforted you when you were at your lowest.
___________________ knew you before you changed.

Influence
You try not to care what other people think, even if it isn't going too well. Give Influence to one teammate.

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jan 9, 2016

Atropha
Nov 17, 2010

Labels: Freak +2 | Danger +2 | Savior 0 | Superior 0 | Mundane -1
Conditions: Afraid | Angry | Guilty | Insecure | Hopeless
Advancement: 0/5

It's late Saturday morning yet Aurora is still tired. Training and tests and more training gets exhausting, even when you're full of energy. Especially when using that energy doesn't actually deplete it and instead just wears her out. And it's hard to really get some good rest when your body is constantly maintaining a kind of jittery energy. It's why she's almost always tapping her foot or fidgeting with a pen or whatever else she's got in her hands. And it's why this stupid meditation thing just isn't working. It sounded like a great idea, find your center, disciplined thinking and so on, but in reality it just ends up with her being unable to really settle down. No position ever feels quite right, sitting on the floor is too awkward, the table is too hard, the bed too soft, she even tried hovering but then she's just constantly thinking about maintaining that instead of focusing on her breathing or whatever. So instead of being helpful it just ends up wasting time that would be better spend on her schoolwork. At least she's doing kind of okay on that front, although just like everything else here, it's stupidly demanding. And doing okay mostly just means she's not struggling as much as some of the others.

She sighs and tries to push those thoughts aside. She's lifting herself off the ground in a sort-of lotus-seat she tries once again to just clear her head when a knock on the door disrupts what little mental discipline she can muster and she lands on the floor with a loud thud. She groans a little as she gets up, but really, she's kind of glad for the interruption. She wasn't really accomplishing anything and breakfast and a movie sounds much better use of her time. She opens the door and gives Astraea the slightest hint of a wave. "Hey, morning." she says, stifling a yawn behind her hand. "Sounds good to me. Did you wanna go into town or...?"

The idea of going out still makes her a little nervous. Outside of her costume she doesn't get recognized that much, kind of average looking brown-haired girl? Let's you blend in pretty well. But Astraea people tend to recognize on account of being ridiculously gorgeous. And then usually people put two and two together and the glares start. Not that she blames them. Much. They did a hell of a lot of damage. She did a hell of a lot of damage. You'd think people would realize that a rampaging Dino-Man would have caused way more trouble in the long run but all they see is the same cellphone footage of light-beams tearing up a bridge. Not that she's going to let that stop her from going out and having fun, but sometimes it feels like this stupid thing is never going to go away.

quote:

Hero Name: Aurora
Mask: Nova
Look: Woman, White, Casual clothing, Colorful costume
Abilities: Cosmic Energy

Moves:

Burn
When you charge up your powers, roll + conditions you currently have marked. On a hit, hold 3 Burn. On a 7-9, mark a condition. On a miss, hold 2 Burn, and mark 3 conditions.
Spend your Burn on your Flares

Flares:
Reality Storm: You channel a destructive burst with your powers. Spend 1 Burn to
directly engage a threat using your powers, rolling + Freak instead of + Danger. If you do, you will cause unwanted collateral damage unless you spend another Burn

Move: Spend 1 Burn to move to any place you choose within the scene, breaking
through or slipping past any barriers or restraints in your way.

Boost: Spend 1 Burn to supercharge a teammate's efforts with your powers, giving
them a +1 bonus to their roll as if you had spent Team from the pool.

Overcharge: You let loose with the full torrent of your powers without restraint.
Spend 1 Burn and mark a condition to take a 10+ on unleashing your powers.

Moment of Truth:
It’s like your mind’s eye opens up, and you can see the world around you like never before. You can control it, at will, with ease. Of course, warping reality tends to have ramifications down the line, but in your moment of godhood...how could you possibly be worried?

Team Moves:
When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, ask them if you see fear in their eyes. If they say no, take +1 forward and mark potential. If they say yes, immediately shift your Danger up and Savior down.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, tell them how you think they can stop you. Give them Influence over you, and clear a Condition.

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Oh cool, she's dressed - I didn't wake her up! "Sleep well?"

Returning her wave with a substantially larger one, I nod along when she asks if I'd like to go into town. I'm getting tired of cafeteria food and being confined here - and besides, we're not freaks or anything, we're amazing. There's no reason we should have to shun society, or be unable to go get pancakes and hashbrowns and eggs and bacon because that sounds sooo good to me right now, just because we're Emergent. Mom's always talking about how much people adored the Greek gods in the old day, actually worshiping them and all that. While I'm cool with people not worshiping me, a little respect would be nice now and again.

"Yeah, I got an idea." Producing two objects from the pockets of the jacket, I grin at her. A bandanna, and a pair of sunglasses, and with them the promise of us maybe not getting discovered this time. "Figure I can wear these, and then we'll be all incognito and everything!" Should work, I think. Long as I zip my jacket up and keep the sunglasses on when we're inside. And if it's just the two of us, 'cuz if anyone else on the team tags along we'd probably get noticed super fast.

Don't know if she's ready to go yet or not, but I totally am, so as soon as she's good we'll head out.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Labels: Freak: -1 Danger: 0 Savior: 1 Superior: 0 Mundane: 3
Potential: 0/5
Conditions:

My alarm buzzed reminding me it was time to get up. Which might have been handy if I hadn't already been awake for a couple of hours already. I'd been hoping to enjoy a nice long sleep in but my mind just kept turning and turning. Could we have been faster could we have been smarter. I mean I suppose intellectually it was ok given that it was our first outing as a team but there's still areas where we can improve. Perhaps if we'd been better been faster we wouldn't have done so much damage and the press and the public wouldn't be dragging our names through the mud. Because that's all everyone's talking about. I'm lucky I guess thanks to the mask I can just take it off just be Miss Anonymous. I can hear someone padding down the corridor now. It freaked me out the first time I realised I could do that, my eyesight and my sense of smell are way better too. I guess it's helpful I'm even working on a new trick with it. If I listen hard enough I can tell people apart by the sound of their footsteps. Pretty neat if you ask me and Dr Payne likes it because it pushes the limits of my powers. Doesn't work with everyone but some people have a very distinctive walk like this one If it's not lurker I'll eat my hat and I don't even wear a hat. Had it been anyone else I'd be scrambling for my mask about now. But Lurker ahem Natalie (I'll have to remember to ask her which she prefers.) already knows who I am and it's refreshing to be able to talk to someone without the mask between us for once. I'm getting used to wearing it all the time on campus I feel kind of guilty hiding my face like that and fanning the paranoia but it's for everyone's protection. Especially mine.

Maybe she can help me make sense of some of the things I've been hearing while I've been working my shifts at the restaurant (it's not great pay but hey it's keeping me busy and it's nice to not be reliant on parents for spending money.) But as a waitress you can't help overhearing people's discussions and thanks to my hearing I can hear everyone talking at once. Mostly people are talking about the emergent phenomena and there's a lot of speculation not all of it good.There's some who think emergents are going to take over, there are some who think we're the next stage in human evolution. One guy I heard spouting off about how we're all scouts for an alien invasion. I wanted to yell at them all that we're just normal people under the flashy powers with normal human desires. But I daren't call me a coward if you want but I don't want to expose my family to danger or reprisals. So I just kept quiet the whole time.

My thoughts were interrupted by Lurker's knock. "Come in" I shouted as I tried to put on a brave face to hide all the worries churning inside of me. On second thoughts Natalie had enough problems of her own without me burdening her with mine. I smiled at her as she came through the door. "Hi Lurker nice to see you. Got any plans for the day?" I was hoping she'd spar with me I could use the workout. Either that or help me with my Math homework what the hell was a complex polynominal anyway. The Doc might be able to make sense of it but I certainly couldn't. "But I'm free all day if you want to hang out and stuff."

Secret identity roll
[00:20] Ferrosol !r 2d6+3
[00:20] Krysmbot Ferrosol, 8+3 = 11
[00:20] Ferrosol aww yeah

On a 10+,things are going okay---you have an opportunity or advantage thanks to one of your obligations.

quote:

Hero Name: The Mongoose
"Secret" Identity: Aasimah Azzam
Mask: Janus
Look: Female, Middle Eastern, boring clothing, Concealing Clothing, Hood
Abilities: Heightened Strength,Agility and Toughness, impossible mobility, supernatural senses,

Labels:

Freak: -1
Danger: 0
Savior: 1
Superior: 0
Mundane: 3

Moves

The Mask:

You wear a mask and hide your real identity. Choose what Label you try to embody while wearing your mask:
  • Freak
  • Danger
  • Savior
  • Superior

Once per session, you can affirm either your hero or secret identity to switch your Mundane with your mask's Label.

Mild-Mannered:

When you try to use your civilian identity to deceive, trick, or slip past someone, roll + Mundane. On a hit they buy your facade. On a 7-9, choose one:
  • You're still under observation.
  • You leave something incriminating behind
  • You're forced to make a fool of yourself to sell it

On a miss, one of your civilian obligations
rears its ugly head.

I am what I seem to be:

When you accept what someone tells you about yourself, take +1 forward and either mark potential or clear a condition.

Secret Identity

Your mundane life comes with a series of obligations. Choose a total of 3 obligations.

Waitress
Schoolwork
Best Friend

When time passes, roll + your Mundane to see how you're managing your obligations. On a 10+,
things are going okay---you have an opportunity or advantage thanks to one of your obligations.
On a 7-9, you've lapsed on one obligation, your choice. On a miss, you haven't given your normal
life anywhere near the attention it deserves; the GM chooses two obligations that are going to bite
you in the butt.

Team Moves

When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, ask them if they see you as the person wearing the mask or the person underneath. If the former, mark potential and clear a
condition. If the latter, take Influence over them if you reveal yourself

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, tell them a secret about who you really are. Give them Influence, and shift your Mundane up, and your mask's Label down.

When our team first came together:

We saved the life of someone important, either to the city, or to us. Who was it? Why are they important?

Relationships

_____________________ knew you from your civilian life first.

You refused to tell ___________________ your secret identity when they asked

Influence

You look up to your teammates; they seem to have this superhero thing figured out. Give two of them influence over you.

Ferrosol fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jan 10, 2016

Atropha
Nov 17, 2010

Advancement: 0/5 | Location: Prometheus Institute

Amy just grabs her purse and hops through the room on one leg, pulling on her shoes and they're on their way. As good as the food in the cafeteria is, even with everybody there it's still empty. Like having to stay over break at a boarding school or something. It's an almost awkward atmosphere sometimes, but it also kind of gives them free reign about a lot of the place. With no one around to complain about it she's free to float through the hallways or down the stairwells. Really, with how much they harp on her about training this is just extrapolating from that. She's sure it can't hurt to practice flying through the inside of buildings, so she's hovering backwards as they walk down the corridor. Not that she's trying to show off. Much. But despite the kind of frustrating start of the day she's in a good mood.

"You know, you look like a total celebrity trying to avoid paparazzi, like this." she says with an amused tone in her voice. "If we get you one of those loose poncho-tops it'd perfect the look and you could stand out with how much you're trying to be inconspicuous."

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

WHY YOU GOTTA BREAK A BROS HEART
Svarthilde Odinsdottor
Freak: +1 Danger: -1 Savior: 0 Superior: 3 Mundane: 0

"Just an ordinary party-loving college girl indeed. Freddie of Mercury is a fine singer, renowned the world over! I've heard men singing his songs and tales of glory in battlefields the world over..."

Svarthile faced towards the North, muttering darkly as she did. Someone the Katannis woman had gotten ahead of her again, and distributed those spurious flyers and implanted a question most inane and foul in the minds of Midgard's massed media. "Bah! Probably a hidden curse on the stupid things that confuse and bewilder anyone who looks at it. You'll not catch me so easily Loki, even if you can fool the mortals."

Her dreams of late had been confused and harried. Smashing the immortal lizard emperor with a truck and then beating him repeatedly in the face with a road sign had been quite satisfying, and she'd expected to dream of the faithful and homey scenes of drink and battle tinged by lizard groans since but instead there was nothing except a sense of failure and disappointment. Maybe it was the Allfather expressing his displeasure in a surprising and unusual way? Too much beer, or maybe not enough? She had heard nothing from Asgard since her impromptu battle, drinking, and sworn oaths of sisterhood but perhaps it was time for her to reach out and see what the other Asgardians were saying? She juggled the nornstones (which hopefully Odin would not miss for some time) in her hand and cast them out over the ermineskin.

"Blasted Midgardians, what manner of people get in so much of a fuss over a little spilled beer and a few smashed bridges?"

S̵͔̮͖̜͇h̰̦̩̭̕ͅo̻͓͍̤̲͈̹w̶͙̩̞̫̦̖ ̬̮̲͎̘m̰̥̲̞͠ę̮̳̼ ̦̼̦̯̣̳ṱ̷͍̹h̻̯̻͉͓̤e̳͈̩̹̲ ͖̮̳̙̼͉̭c̼ạ̫̠̭̪ṵ͉̖̮̞͟ͅs̶̤̹̭͚̺e̬͇͞ ̺̻of̱͕̦̤͎͔͔͢ ͉̦̬̣͚̮̩my̧̱̞̟̹̣ ͍͖͔͓͍v̪̯̙e̱ͅx̝͢a̵̹̥̜̣͇͓t̘̥͇͉̯̬i̟̹͉͠o͉͇̰͖n̨̤͍̗s͙̜̞ ̨̱̭̜̲̰a̵̙͚̟n̻͙̮̰̫̘ḍ̼̤ͅ ͟h҉̗̟̜o̶͔̞̼̖̲w̷̥͖̣̝̭ͅ ͙̳̬̪ͅI̗̠̩̟̭͈͝ ̀m̷̞̖̤a̙ỳ ̣̬̮̫̪d̫̦̝͚̤̗̻͡e͏̹̭̫̱f̙͈̘͔͓̫̥e̺͉̝̣̼̙͡a̡̰̩t̛̩ͅ ͕̖͚t̷h̠͞e͎̭͍̞̥̭̬m.̲̦̘

Svarthilde glowered over the runes, pondering the results and wondering if she should cast another spell or just ask a wiser God. Either way the nornstones would give her something even if she had to spend all morning staring them into submission.

somewhere on a tv someone is watching nearby posted:

Just think about it how would an ancient Asgardian super warrior and ferryman for the dead know the modern rock band Queen? Or be able to sing their top 10 greatest hits as easily evinced by the now infamous Champions clip? Please, I'm just asking questions. Someone just needs to stop, take a moment and think it over, and get her to seek professional help. She's just an ordinary party-loving college girl who experienced a traumatic event. NOT some kind of magical God. And she drinks too much! She shouldn't even be drinking! Adeline is underage!

Can I spend the morning in and use my Move, Belongs in Two Worlds to contact Asgard/cast some dream scrying spells? Let's cast some runes! which Svarthilde may have borrowed without directly asking for permission Excelsior!

I can roll (Superior) or if you want to handle that I'll wait before picking which things I'm interested in doing, but expect that I'll at least use the pity point to ask Odin "Dear Dad, what's up with these funky dreams I'm having/dudes being dicks at me? Beer's great in Midgard, xoxx Svarthilde oh yeah i borrowed your keyring" or be using the runes to forecast for a similar question.

If somebody wants to come in and interrupt my magic session feel free.

quote:

Name: Svarthilde Odinsdottor
Hero Name: Svarthilde Odinsdottor
Look: Woman, Human, Barbarian Chic

Labels
Freak: +1
Danger: -1
Savior: 0
Superior: +3
Mundane: 0

Abilities
Density control
Stunning beauty

Moves
Belong in Two Worlds
You have the resources that come with your important station. Whenever time passes, if you've been in contact with your people, roll +Superior.
On a 10+, hold 3. On a 7-9, hold 2. On a miss, hold 1, but your people make an uncomfortable demand of you.
Spend your hold 1 for 1 to:

-Have some useful piece of alien technology: use any ability from another playbook once this session.
-Consult your alien knowledge to ask the GM a question about the current situation.
-Clear someone's Condition through advanced alien healing processes.

Whenever you disregard or undermine an earth custom in front of an audience, their reaction tells
you who you are or how the world works. Mark potential if you then accept what they say, or take +1
to reject what they say.

Kirby-craft: You have a vehicle, something from your home. Detail its look, and choose two strengths and weakneses.
When you are flying your ship, you can use it to unleash your powers, directly engage a threat, or defend using Superior.

-Strengths: Fast & maneuverable, chameleon plating, powerful weaponry, regenerating, dimension-shifting, size-shifting, telepathic.
-Weaknesses: Bizzare fuel source, susceptible to alcohol, easily detectable, slow and clumsy, unarmed, difficult to repair

Backstory

Where do you come from? Asgard? I thought I made it pretty clear to the gatekeeper when I tied my horse Hrugnin to his station. You guys haven't forgotten about it have you? Big huge place, right at the top of the nine worlds across the Rainbow Bridge?
Why did you come to Earth? Definitely not because I got drunk and slept in while my sisters have been working hard to watch and gather heroic souls. Nope, that was all part of the plan because I believe in humanity's potential for greatness.
Why do you want to stay here? You've got heroes right? Or ordinary people who are going to try their hardest to be heroes?
Why do your people want you to come home? Ah... well. I may have borrowed a few things from Father Odin's armory and there was the issue of a stable or two that got set on fire when I got Hrugnin loose and well, they probably don't need me back for anything important or they would have sent someone to get me already right?
Why do you care about the team? Because they're great! And will probably make great heroes. Young people working together to overcome boundaries and save humanity from its darkest foes despite inexperience and uh... overcoming self doubt? That's pretty heroic right?

Moment of Truth
You embrace your home, and call them for aid. They will answer your call, in force, arriving
exactly when you need them to turn the tide. You will lead them into battle. Of course, when all is
said and done...they’d probably like to take you home with them. You did, after all, just prove
yourself worthy.

Team Moves
When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, take Influence over them if you show
them meaningful affection, physical or emotional. They decide if it's meaningful.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone,
they tell you what you should do to fit in more. Take +1 forward to do it, and mark Potential if you do

Influence: Cheerful (everyone)

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

"Morning. You look... distinctively awake. Been up for a while too, huh? I've been in the lab for like two hours already. I just don't seem to need as much sleep anymore, which I guess is kind of nice... ... Oh, that's really cool! You know, I like company here. It's not like I can go for a walk without causing a public panic. Eh, whatever. Want to check out the lab Dr. Payne provided for me? I'm actually working on something cool. Going to need your measurements for that though. Or I guess we could eat breakfast?"

Man, I'm always so... energized? I guess? when talking to Aasimah. I guess I'm just super excited to still have a friend at this point.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Conditions:

"Sure just let me finish getting dressed and I guess we can go and check out your lab and then we can go for breakfast." I wondered what she wanted my measurements for as I grabbed my mask and put it on. "Right ready when you are." I mean I know the place was supposed to be deserted at this time of day but it never hurts to be careful. So we walked along chatting. "So Nat if you don't mind me still calling you that what do you think of the Institute?" I asked as we walked along. I'm still trying to get my head around the place myself and I can't help but smell the freshly drying paint and can hear the building settling onto it's new foundations. What kind of connections does Doctor Payne have that she can get something like this put up practically overnight. Don''t these things normally take months to build?

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

"I'm... still not sure, to be honest. I mean Nat works but it also feels like lying to myself. I just feel like... I dunno, like ... I guess like the old me is just... gone. Eh, before I ruin the mood again... I really like the Institute. But I guess I'm just really biased. I mean, I'm the only one of the group which can't just go into the public freely. And Dr. Payne even got me a lab and is supplying me. Frankly I don't think I'm the right person to ask that."

Having arrived at the lab, I walk towards my little spider pen and inspect their progress.

"See those spiders? Those are Darwin's Bark spiders. Their silk is stronger than steel while being much lighter. Should even be bulletproof! I'm currently working on making armored costumes for you girls... and guy, I guess. So I figured, the two of us probably need one of these first, but who'd need one after that? Aurora?"

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Freak +1 Danger +2 Savior -1 Superior +1 Mundane +0
Love: Svarthilde Rival:Astraea

My alarm clock tells me to wake up, and I groan. It speaks in Dr. Payne's voice, and it's recessed into the wall, so i can't just break it. She had it installed after the third time I was late for class, and apparently she decided i shouldn't sleep in on weekends. I crawl out of bed and look blearily around my room. It's huge. My bedroom back in the trailer could fit in the closet of this one. It even looks kind of clean, because I don't have enough dirty clothes to make much of a dent in the floorspace.

What the hell am I going to do today?

It's been a looong week. First the classes, which were hard, then the tests, which were... intrusive. Dr Payne explained that I was going to be tested more than anyone except maybe the bug-girl, because the changes to my body from my power are still ongoing; even now, as I look down at my hand, I can feel the motor where my heart used to be revving in anticipation. I didn't just see doctors, I saw mechanics and engineers, and they all came away puzzled. I cross my arms and close my eyes. I don't want to think about it.

I check my phone, instead. The text is still there; "Saw you on the tv. You were very brave. I'm glad something good came out of it." It's from Noelle. I don't even know how she got my number. She must have asked my parents. They certainly didn't text. I really don't know how to feel about that, or her, or any of this. I shrug on some jeans and a Five Finger Death Punch t-shirt and head for the showers. This place is weird, but one of the benefits is, it isn't home. Nobody here knew me before, so I don't have to think about them looking at me as if I'm changed. To them, I'm just Diesel, the Engine of Destruction. hosed up, but comforting.

Speaking of hosed up, I have the boy's showers to myself this morning. There's some boys here, but almost all the emergents I've met so far have been girls. That's... a thing. Is there a word for the opposite of a sausage party?

Right. I'm done with this, done with classes, done with the whole moping thing. It's Saturday, I don't have detention, and I'm still technically on school grounds. Time to fix that.

I look down the hallway at the rows of doors. So, I don't actually have any friends yet. I mean, the rest of the team's okay, but they're not, y'know, friends. Yet. But i really don't want to go out on my own. It's not that I'm worried about being recognized in public -- for the fight against Dr. Epoch and Rex i was wearing a motorcycle helmet, and you'd probably have to know me already to recognize me from news reports -- but I still don't want to go out alone.

I chew my lip. I know who I want to ask, but... gently caress it. Man up, Cameron.

I knock on Svarthilde's door. "Hey, uh... Svarthilde?" I mangle her name. "I know you're not from around here, so I thought maybe you'd like to get out of this school and see the city? I could show you around town." I add, hopefully, "I've got transportation."

quote:

Hero Name: Diesel
Real name (if it matters): Cameron Toretto
Look:Male, Ambiguous Ethnicity, Baggy clothing, Simple costume
Powers: Inhuman Speed, Strength, and Toughness. Diesel is a living engine, and he gets stronger and tougher the more he revs himself up.

Freak +1
Danger +2
Savior -1
Superior +1
Mundane +0

The Bull’s Heart: You always have exactly one love and one rival. You can change your love or rival at any time; give the new subject of your affections or disdain Influence over you. Take +1 ongoing to any action that supports your love or frustrates your rival.
Love: __________________________________
Rival: __________________________________

Punch everyone: Whenever you charge into a fight without hedging your bets, you can raise your Danger by one and drop any other label by one.

There when it matters: When you leap to defend your love or rival, roll + Danger instead of + Savior to defend from an immediate threat.

When our team first came together…
We defeated a dangerous enemy. Who or what was it?

Relationships
___________________ is your love. You've opened up to them about the worst parts of your past.
___________________ is your rival. They tried to control you at a crucial moment.

Influence
You're focused. Give your love and rival influence over you, but that's it.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Svarthilde Odinsdottor

The signs were either unclear or she wasn't paying enough attention. Svarthilde scowled at the runes in concentration but was happily interrupted by Diesel's careful knock. She swept them up in her fist and glanced at what was showing at the top of the pile. "Huh. All four elements. Maybe it'll mean something later." Picking out the four nornstones, she dropped the others into the pouch around her throat.

She swung open the door and clapped Diesel on the shoulder with a thump which shook the light fixtures overhead. Getting out to see the city and meet its peoples would be absolutely more interesting than crouching over a brazier of incense or staring at a pile of stones all day. And there would probably be beer!

"A wonderful idea, friend Diesel! I have only seen the city from above and in battle against the lizard emperor from the other world and t'would be a most apt time to familiarize myself with it."

Her hands and voice were still crackling with unspent power, but as she hurried him down the hall towards the outdoors it grounded harmlessly. Whatever message the runes had borne would either make sense later or not.

"What manner of vehicle have you and where shall we go to learn the ways of the city?"

Superior (+3) to Belongs in Two Worlds it up for the morning: 2d6+3 10
Looks like I get three so I'll spend them on one playbook ability from someone else and two questions from the GM respectively. Do I need to pick them now or can I bank them for later? I'm definitely going to pick up a one time use of Elemental Control for later this adventure, and connecting to the Asgard database to answer my question about wtf these dudes but if I have to pick the remainder now I'll take the condition recovery in case someone needs a heal later.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

I grip my shoulder where she punched me -- I'm not amped up to full strength and toughness while I'm idling, so it hurts -- but I can't keep a doofy grin off my face. She's so damned pretty, and enthusiastic, and I love the way she talks. "C'mon. I'll show you my ride."

My old bike wasn't insured, and it's not like you can show damages on a vehicle that's techncially fused with your person, but it turns out there's an ongoing disaster relief fund that's still ongoing to cover the Superpower Menace, and the check they cut me was enough to get another ride on Craigslist. It was a little beat up but, hell, I'm a natural mechanic. "It's a Kawasaki Vulcan VN900 custom," I say, proudly. After a minute, I add, "It's kinda like an iron horse. You ride on the back." I indicate the bitch seat while vowing never, ever to tell her what it's called.

I hand her a bike helmet. "You don't really need this, but it'll keep people from recognizing you, I figure. As for where we're going... I don't know. I thought I'd show you around and you could see what looked like fun. I don't really know what they like to do in... uh, Valhalla... but I figured we could see the mall, or some of the local dives if you're hungry, or there's a free concert in the park this afternoon. Whatever looks good to you."

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Svarthilde Odinsdottor

"In that case my friend I trust you to wherever you may lead me."

Taking the helmet from Diesel she spun it in her hands to get a grasp of its weight and balance but obligingly pulled it on and stepped over the bike into the pillion position. The helmet probably wasn't good for much being too light and flimsy to catch an arrow or used as an ad hoc mace in battle, and mentally she resolved to see if she couldn't buy or steal a better one from a Dwarf or something for him.

The bike was another matter. Named after one of the Greek gods she imagined that it would be ugly or fiery-driven like its namesake, but it was curved and black and impressive in all the right places. She grinned with a twinkle in her eye visible through the clear pane of the helmet.

"We can go fast on this right?"

Friend Zone? Asgardians have no word for this Friend Zone you speak of, my brother. But it sounds most wondrous! Surely it must be a most sacred space to be shared amongst friends only, with beer and trophies of battles won and grievous grudges yet to be answered. We should totally build ourselves a Friend Zone! Joking aside wherever is good, but it'd obviously be more fun if we go fast.

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Fun Shoe
Astraea and Aurora

While Astraea's "normal person" disguise is flimsy, it works - at first. Aside from a few odd looks, you guys are ostly unmolested for a while. What's the first thing you want to do out on the town?

Mongoose and Lurker

On your way out for breakfast, or down to Lurker's lab, Mongoose - you receive a text message. It's your manager, from work.

To Aasimah posted:

You remember that party of 10 from last night? They left a pair of tickets to a sneak-preview of the upcoming [Action Person] movie 4 u. You want them?

Svarthilde

I am uncertain if you actually did any of your stuff yet you were talking about, but you certainly can. Let me know what you're doing and what you pick and I'll prompt you.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Conditions:

She's conflicted, caught between what she was and what she's become I can understand that and I sympathise. I guess we all kind of feel it in one way or another. Still if that what she wants then that's what she wants. Lurker it is. She leads me into the labs and they're filled with insects. Creepy crawly insects! All different varieties of eww that takes every ounce of my concentration not to shy away from for fear of offending Na-Lurker. Of course she only makes it worse by waving me over to a tank of humongous spiders and starts talking about making costumes out of their webs. I suppose it could work isn't spider silk supposed to be super strong or something and If Lurker can get them to produce it in big enough quantities.... "Maybe Svarthilde she could certainly do with a costume that covers up a lot more." I said cattily I know I shouldn't let it but it just feels like everything she does rubs me up the wrong way.

Then my phone started beeping and I had to turn to Lurker "Hold on a minute while I get this." I said holding up my phone. I read it and a big grin spread across my face. "Sweet" At Lurkers confused look I turned to her and said. "Was working last night and it seems like I made a good impression on some of the customers they left me two tickets for the première of <Action Person> so what do you say fancy a trip to the movies?"

"I'll have to go and change though. Can't go into work dressed like this." I said gesturing down at my costume. "It'll kind of give the game away."

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

"Haha, yeah."

After a moment of stunned silence, I reply.

"And, uh, how do you intend to do that without causing a mass panic? There are waaay too many people for me not to get noticed. Just take someone else..."

Ugh, seems like the insects are acting up because of my mood again. Oh, great. Come on, calm down, ladies, stop skreeing!

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jan 10, 2016

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Conditions:

I hadn't considered that... It's not fair and it's not right that Lurker can't have a normal life. And why should she have to hide anyway! She's as human as the rest of us. "Stop that." I said sternly "You have as much right to a normal life as the rest of us. Let them notice you. Let them see emergents being normal people catching a movie with friends. If we hide away from them we'll make them think that we really are different from them." I went on. "Besides if any wants to cause trouble with you they'll have to go through me first." I said. "Really you can't spend the rest of your life living in this basement you're going to have to show yourself eventually and the sooner the better. People shouldn't be scared of you, of us. They should be proud." I hadn't realised how passionately I felt about this till I put it into words. Would i have been quite this noble if it wasn't one of my friends who was suffering though. I mean I try to be a good person it's just what is "good" anymore when people can manipulate light with the power of their mind and my friend looks like a giant bug.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Location: Prometheus Institute | Potential: 0 | Conditions: Afraid

"I... I really don't think this is a good idea... I mean, won't they recognize me from the battle? ... But, fine, I guess. Have it your way. But if this goes wrong, I'll make sure everyone knows it's your fault. Because I seriously do not agree with this."

Rejecting Influence (Mongoose): 2d6 6

Marking the condition Afraid.

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jan 10, 2016

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Conditions:

"Relax nothing's going to go wrong." I said with a little more confidence than I felt. "Now if you'll excuse me I need to go change back into my street clothes." At her nod I quickly rushed back to my room and flung off my costume and pulled on my regular street clothes and carefully wrapped my hijab around my head. There back to "normal" I guess. With that done I headed over to the student lockup and got my bike. I suppose I don't really need the exercise anymore of riding everywhere but I enjoy it and it's nice to be able to do normal things. Plus it's a lot less physically tiring these days which is a plus. Sooner than I might have expected I made it into work and picked up the tickets from my boss before riding back to the campus and changing back into my costume.

Finally after what seemed like forever I poked my head around Lurkers Lab door. "Right ready when you are." I said from behind the mask. "Let's go and enjoy some mindless action fodder." I smiled. "Umm how do you want to walk or should I call a cab? The showing doesn't start for a while so we could do it either way."

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

I had continued to work on my little pet project until she returned. And once again she doesn't seem to think very far ahead at all...

"Yeah, sure, let's freak out even more people than we're already doing. No, thanks I'll take the cab..."

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

"Fast?" I climb on the bike and gun the engine. "You could say that."

With a setup line like that, what can I do? I peel out of the parking garage, popping a wheelie. Am I showing off? Yeah, okay. A little. But we're both basically indestructible, right? Right. Plus I figure, if you're used to riding horses or whatever, 80mph is gonna be a helluva kick.

"Hey, have you ever been to a mall before?"

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

That'd actually been a pretty uneventful journey. Turns out this disguise actually mostly holds up - no one took any photos of me, or asked me to take a selfie with them or asked me out on a date, so it's a lot better than they've been recently. After a short walk, a subway ride, and an even shorter walk, we've made it to the Second Street Diner. Even managed to make it right between breakfast and brunch, so the place is relatively empty.

I tap my sunglasses a few times, having left them on. "Told you it'd work!" I happily remind Amy, just after we've been seated at one of the booths, flicking the menu open to reveal all the different configurations of breakfast food that I was super hungry for. This place is both cheap and has to-die-for food. It'd been a Saturday Tradition for dad, Cassie and I to come here, up till about a year ago. I'd sort of missed it.

Glancing away from trying to figure out which specific combo plate I wanted towards Amy, I grin a bit. "What're you getting? Oh yeah, what movie do you want to see today?" For the record, I am getting something with bacon and eggs and pancakes and hashbrowns, and orange juice, and I'm sort of hoping she wants to see Action Person. Seems perfectly cheesy and fun for a matinee movie.

Atropha
Nov 17, 2010

Advancement: 0/5 | Location: Second St. Diner

"Fine, it did. I'm still not buying giant aviator shades. I'd look ridiculous." She's actually more relieved than she's letting on, having it made here unmolested. It's much easier to project a good mood and get swept up in Astraea's optimism when you're actually feeling alright. That's part of why she likes to hang out with her and Svarthilde. Well, once she got over being jealous at least. Their attitude is infectious sometimes and has the added motivation that she really doesn't want to be the one to ruin the other girl's mood by moping. "I'm kind of fine with whatever. Just not the dinosaur one, I've had quite enough of that for a while." When the waitress gets around to their table she orders some french toast and a coffee and can't help but chuckle at Astraea's comparatively huge order. She's never really been a big breakfast person. The coffee sounds much more enticing to her right now and the food is kind of an afterthought.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Svarthilde Odinsdottor

"Indeed I have. Astrea took me to one last week. We went to make purchases at the Old Navy, and I purchased a hat which should serve quite well for the purposes of 'blending in with the crowd' Then we shared refreshments at the Court of Many Foods while we discussed our impressions of the rest of you."

The Vulcan roared to life and tore off onto the roads with a satisfying speed. She pressed up against his back to shout in his ear as they wove through the traffic-laden streets.

"Truly a wondrous fruit, the Jamba!"

Astrea shops at the Old Navy right? Pretty sure buying a nice hat, spending some time chatting at the food court and sharing a few drinks is how we started on our little papal-fracas in the first place.

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

"Haha!" I laugh at the dinosaur comment, since it makes sense. Personally, I wouldn't have minded another shot or two at him. Turns out he can hit ridiculously hard with what should be those little hands (they totally aren't though) of his. I'd tried to stay in melee with him the whole time, of course... if I didn't, he'd go after someone like Lurker or Mongoose, someone that can't really take hits the way I can. End result, I got pretty beat up by the time that fight was over.

Still, my breakfast order is placed, I'm out with a friend and no one is harassing us - and it sounds like we're gonna see the movie I want to see. "Cool! Action Person sound good?" I'd flick the menu back up to contain my dazzling smile if our server hadn't taken them away - but still, I can't help it. Today's going great so far!

<puppies> Astrea shops at Old Navy right?
<Rauri> most def
<Rauri> Astraea is Preppy-Korra

Rauri fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jan 11, 2016

Atropha
Nov 17, 2010

Advancement: 0/5 | Location: Second St. Diner

"Oh, that's already out? Yeah, sure." She'd been honest about not really caring but even if she hadn't it'd be hard to say no to that smile. The kinda smile that people wrote songs about or went to war for. She could see why some people might buy into the whole goddess thing. Not that she did or anything, this was just a perfectly regular make-your-knees-weak smile, that's all. Nothing supernatural about it. And it's probably just a jealous blush anyway that she's hiding behind the coffee cup that arrives just in time. She immediately regrets that decision when her mouth informs her that the coffee is indeed quite hot, but she'll be damned if she's going to spit it back out. That'd just be embarrassing. And now she definitely has an excuse for her head being red. "Mistake!" she squeaks out after finally managing to swallow down the mouthful of hot beverage.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

I guide the bike into the parking lot, sandwiching it between a Mommy-van and a pickup truck. Dang, I'd kind of been hoping to give Svarthilde a grand tour of the mall, but she's already seen it. And then her words catch up to me. Discussed her impressions of the rest of us? So they were talking about me. I'm dying to ask, but I know better; I've gotta be Mr. Subtle about this.

"Well, I don't know about jambas, but I can show you my favorite place in the mall."

We walk entrance and I turn to the left. "Check it out: Galaxy Arcade. I guess it's supposed to be retro? Whatever. It's got laser guns."

I make change for a five and give her half the tokens. "See, you put these in the machines and then you can play a game. See?" I pick up the gun and point it at the screen. "Simple." I hand her the gun. "You try."

After, like, thirty seconds, I slide in my question, "So what'd Astraea think about me?" Subtle!

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Svarthilde Odinsdottor

"Aye I've seen your 'guns' before on the battlefield. T'would be a better weapon if it could channel the strength of the wielder like a bow, but that's technology for you." She hefted it, looking down the side of the gun towards the flashing lights on the screen. It was flimsy and made of plastic like most of modern Midgard's construction but she'd seen plenty of them in action on battlefields around the world over the years. "Dost thou listen to a lot of Metallica?"

She only half listened to his response. It really was a wonderful training game for children. The screams and bursts of gore as she shot enemy after enemy were most satisfying (though laughably unrealistic), but the basic sensation of learning the patterns of enemy movement and hand-eye coordination would no doubt serve budding warriors well. And shooting the exploding red barrels was funny. "She thinks thee to be cool and a drinker of gasoline, which I've also done but wouldn't recommend. Tis like a dragon pissed in thy mouth and thou art spitting it out all day." Svarthilde stood with the gun in one hand as she pulled off the helmet with the other, shaking her head to clear the last wisps of clinging hair.

"She feels as I do that your strength is impressive for a mortal, but the rage within you is a goad towards jealousy and hate when away from the battlefield. Also that you've probably not been on a date with too many mortal girls. What are thy thoughts about our team mates, and their strengths and weaknesses?"

I want to play the hell out of this game (possibly keep playing as it rolls over into high score after high score if it's one of those ones that loop around once you win) and I'm going to use Superior to do it. The way I'm reading it Superior is basically how Batman does his thing, and Batman would be able to watch the shooty lights game for a few rounds and learn the pattern of enemies/powerup drops wouldn't he? Yeah that sounds like a good excuse.

Superior the hell out of this game like Batman would: 2d6+3 12

Puppies are dicks fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jan 16, 2016

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

"Metallica? I mean... yeah, I love Metallica." Is she winding me up. "poo poo, have you even heard S&M? That's like the greatest album in..." I start to maybe educate her into the annals of metal, from the gateway mainstays of Metallica and Slayer and Judas Priest up into the more rarefied outgrowths like In Search of Sun or Motograter or Scar Symmetry, but I trail off as I watch her shoot. drat, she's a freakin' badass, even without using any of her powers. Must be a viking thing.

I'm so into watching her that her next comment totally blindsides me. "W-what? I've dated lots of girls!" I say, defensively. Wait, that sounded bad. "I mean, I've been on dates," I amend. "With girls. Mortal girls." This is going badly. "What made her think that?"

"Anyway, our team? I don't know. It's hard to know Mongoose behind the mask, and, uh... Lurker" I almost said Bug-girl, "is a little stand-off-ish, and nerdy. They seem alright, though. Well put together. Aurora's kind of... not... put together. It's like she's worried all the time, like at any moment she might explode." I hesitate. "You don't think she would explode, do you? Like, they probably considered that when they built her room back at the academy?"

"As for Astraea... Well. She thinks she knows everything -- like about how many dates some people have been on -- but I don't think she's anything like as tough as she lets on. Coming from where she does, I don't think she's ever overcome any real adversity in her whole life."

"As for you, you're..." I shrug, indicating her score totals. "A total badass."

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Fun Shoe
Diesel and Svarthilde

Svarthilde's complete domination of the arcade cabinet is attracting a few stares and some cheers from the other arcade-goers. So far, they all seem pretty excited for her, but it's still quite a bit of attention. How are the two of you handling that?

Lurker and Mongoose

The attention the two of you garner as you're entering the movie theatre isn't as positive. Given Mongoose's hijab and Lurker's...well, Lurkerness, there's a few sneers and whispered ugly comments. Then some teenaged boy, about the same age as you on the way into the theatre, shouts loudly as the two of you pass. "Always knew you Freaks were terrorists, too! You should all be locked up!" The invective obviously was aimed towards both of you, though for whatever reason, it cuts Lurker more deeply. What do you two do about that?

Astraea and Aurora

Breakfast goes smoothly, which helps since no one can tell who the two of you are, at least so goes the assumption.

"Is there...anything else I can help you with?" Comes the waiter's voice as he lays a check down...but wait, didn't you have a waitress before?

SUDDENLY!

As the pair of you look up, the answer is clear - this is no mere waiter - it's Talos! And before you can respond, Astraea, he's leveled a fist into your face - one that sends you flying through the front wall of the diner and tumbling into the street. While it isn't enough to hurt, it certainly ruins your disguise by virtue of your not being dead. The screams of the other patrons of the diner snap you out of your shock, Aurora, just as the man turns his angry eyes towards you.

"I give you one chance to run, companion of my enemy! I will settle my quarrel with her today!" He snarls at you as a giant and jagged-bladed sword appears in his hand.

"ASTRAEA!" He shouts out the hole he created. "You will submit to me, or these mortals will suffer for your foolishness! Make your choice!"

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

'Oh, jolly. Two different prejudices at once. You sure are a model citizen of America, boy... ... gently caress all of this. I really should have just never come here... Not only did the obvious happen, I also dragged Mongoose into my own problems just by being here... I... I gotta get out of here. Before this situation gets even worse...' Lurker thinks to herself. Without responding to the idiotic boy, she just turns right towards the exit again and runs away, until she's somewhere out of sight and alone.

Not-so-bravely running away. This should clear afraid at the end of this scene I guess?

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Hey, didn't we have a waitre-

Looking up really quick, I'm suddenly punched in the face. Which, gotta say, kind of a surprise. Specially since I was, you know, just punched through a wall, out into the sunlight and fresh air which wouldn't be so bad, but there's also this sidewalk, then the bouncing and skidding to a stop on the street. Superpowered or not, concrete and asphalt are not ideal landing surfaces. Think my clothes are ripped up some; I know my sunglasses are totally smashed.

Jumping back to my feet - and shaking my head to try and clear it some, kinda dizzy after that - I'm able to actually figure out what the hell's going on when I realize that Talos is the person that just attacked me. At breakfast, a nice breakfast with just Aurora and me, and now he's ruined it and is screaming about me submitting to him and ughhh, weird. Hate this guy. More important than what he's yelling about me, though, is his threat to start attacking civilians over it. And that he just ruined my sunglasses.

Talos is dangerous - the last time we fought, he, uh... basically destroyed me. Took the team showing up for me to not die, all because he can summon those weapons and armor so fast. They get overwhelming mighty quick, so I gotta try and stop him before he can hurt anyone, or bring too many weapons to bear for me to handle.

"Threatening innocent people, Talos?" I yell, clearly outraged, glaring towards the somewhat-me-shaped hole in the front of the diner. "How dare you!" Before he can react, threaten anyone else, I'm dashing towards him as quickly as I can - and trust me on this, I can move when I need to. I'm basically inside before he can react, thank Zeus. Gotta get in close for this. Darting past his sword, getting within striking distance, I actually manage to punch him in his (armored) stomach real quick, putting all my strength into it, yelling a hastily thought of name for the attack as I do. "Thunder Punch!"

Might that's normally reserved for Dr. Paynes' strength tests or pushing over buildings is directed towards knocking him out the top of the diner, away from the civilians and Aurora. With any luck I'll knock him far enough away to give everyone here a chance to evacuate, plus that HAS to have hurt him a bit, armor or not.

(Rawri-Phone) Directly Engage Talos
(Rawri-Phone) !r 2d6+3
(Krysmbot) Rawri-Phone, 7+3 = 10
(LifeGetsWorser) welp!
Got a 10 in IRC on Directly engage, since Talos is threatening civilians, thus letting me roll with Savior instead of Danger.
Directly Engage: When you directly engage a threat, roll +Danger. On a hit, trade blows. On a 10+, pick 2: resist or avoid their blows, create an opportunity for your allies.

Rauri fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jan 27, 2016

Atropha
Nov 17, 2010

Potential: 1/5 | Location: Second St. Diner

Aurora doesn't even realize anything is wrong, only glancing up in time to see their 'waiter' throw a punch at Astraea that sends her crashing through the wall. She's just frozen in place, even more-so when Talos turns his attention to her and summons a nasty-looking weapon. She wants nothing more than to just take the man up on his offer, but then she'd leave Astraea here to deal with him on his own. Not to mention everyone else here. And if she turns her tail on this then people would have every right to hate her. Hell she'd probably hate herself. All she has to do is is let go and... No. Not in here, with this many people around and with just the two of them against Talos. Don't just do the right thing, do the smart thing. She tries to calm her breath and reaches for the phone inside her purse as she slides out of the booth, fumbling with it and loosing it for a second as she hopes Talos won't catch on to what she's doing. Her fingers find the phone again and she closes her eyes for a second. Swipe, unlock, hit the emergency app that'll let everyone else know that something is wrong. She opens her eyes, still seeing Talos and for a moment she's worried her caught on to what she's doing.

Then he's suddenly thrown upwards and through the roof as Astraea slams into him faster than she can process it. Aurora can't help but grin at her friend with relief and she can't believe she thought about bailing for even a second. "Help's on the way. I hope." is all she says before taking a deep breath. Letting it out again she begins to glow faintly before shooting up through the hole left by Talos and into the air, looking for the rear end in a top hat who ruined a perfectly good breakfast. Even as she flying through the air she can already tell she's been too hasty and she can barely keep herself under control, brimming with too much power that's taking too much attention to reign in, but there's no turning back now. She just hopes that she'll somehow manage to pull through...

<SuddenC> Time to charge it up!
<SuddenC> !roll 2d6
<Krysmbot> SuddenC, 4 = 4
<SuddenC> Oh boy
Marking Afraid, Angry and Insecure as well as Potential
Spending 1 of the 2 Burns to Move

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

I'm watching Svarthilde so intently that it takes me a minute to realize that there are other people also watching her. And me, some, but mostly her. Not a lot of hot girls wandering around Ye Olde Arcade, if you get my drift, and this one is... special. For a second, I'm on top of the world; I'm hanging out with the girl everyone else wants to be with. Like, yeah, she's totally not even looking at me, and she probably thinks I'm a dirtbag or low class or mediocre or whatever, but right now, i am here, in this moment, shooting laser guns, with her. Every other guy would switch places with me in a heartbeat.

And then I realize; every other guy here would switch places with me in a heartbeat. The bastards.

My cheeks flush, my heart hammers, and my engine revs. I turn around and spot a sweaty nerd ogling my Valkyrie. It's Ogle-city up in here. If his eyes were hands, he'd be playing grab-rear end. "Hey buddy," I snarl. "Show a little class, huh?"

Provoke Someone: 2d6+1 12 "For NPCs, they rise to the bait and do what you want". I guess, in this case, that's turning his tail between his legs and running.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Conditions:

And of course no sooner do we get there then something goes wrong. I should just let it pass. I should just ignore the ignorant racist loud-mouth like I've done so many times before. But it's one thing to insult me. I'm used to it but Lurker doesn't deserve it. She didn't choose to look like that. "Hey you rear end in a top hat." I watched him turn to look at me. "You should count yourself lucky if I really was a terrorist I'd have suplexed you through that brick wall by now. I'd really enjoy it trust me loudmouth." I said getting in the kids face. "Lucky for you I don't have quite that thin a skin." I snarled at him. I probably couldn't but he didn't have to know that. "Still it's your lucky day. I'm not here to make you an extra in my own personal action movie I'm just here to catch a schlocky action film like everyone else. You know chilling with friends. If you have a problem with that there's plenty of other cinemas out there where you can be a racist jackass."

[20:39] Ferrosol provoke racist kid
[20:39] Ferrosol !r 2d6+1
[20:39] Krysmbot Ferrosol, 7+1 = 8
trying to get him to back down and leave

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Svarthilde Odinsdottor

The game looped around again, increasing in difficulty as the frequency and speed of the electronic enemy soldiers increased. Svarthilde grinned as the rapidly flashing lights and artificial screams caught her attention fully. The easy, predictable guessing game had become something that could test her reflexes.

"Hah! Fear not friend Diesel, I do not have much of the same experience myself either. Tis a thing I'm sure we can discover and consult upon together. I thank thee for thy honest opinions. In truth I like all of you, and have put much thought into thy motivations and potential in battle. I would gladly give up my life for thine, and it is an honor to stand beside thee in battle."

A crowd was starting to build around them, and vaguely she was aware of the (no doubt) appreciative noises being made. These she ignored, more intent on the challenge before her and her conversation with Diesel. After all, was this not simply how mortals behaved in the presence of heroes and Gods? She grew distracted as the game's difficulty ratcheted upwards and lunged and twisted along with the game, no longer able to simply point and click at where the next flashing lights would be.

"Of all the Institute's warriors I believe thy heart to be the greatest. Thou art the best example of mortal man's heroism I know. The Mongoose is cool but likely so because of an oath or possibly dwarven curse, Astrea still opines overmuch on the word of her mother, and the Lurker is a good person for all that she's a monstrous spider."

Hey don't sweat it dude. Svarthilde doesn't have much experience going on dates with mortal girls either. Attention from mortal bystanders? /ignore Gaze upon my vidja games, ye mortals and despair. Also I'm having a serious chat with a close friend so :shrug:

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Fun Shoe
Astraea

Talos swings his blade in a wide arc, but is taken aback a bit by you getting inside his reach and landing a blow upon him. It staggers him backward momentarily, but he snorts. "Thunder Punch?!" He roars in malicious mirth "You truly are the most pathetic in a long line of pathetic women who dare oppose me!" He points at Aurora, who seems to be struggling with something. "You can't even keep your subordinates under control!!"

The opportunity exists, mostly because Talos is too busy taunting to count your allies as threatening, but...

Aurora

The power wells up inside of you, but it feels...wrong. The control you've been practicing, and that Dr. Payne has been preaching for you...seems so far away now that you're in a situation like this - an ambush! And waves of light flow off of you, hot and angry, melting nearby tables even as they ignite. The other diner-goers stagger backwards as you try and get a reign on it, one or two audibly terrified at the display - and then the rest of the windows crack and burst under the weight of your manifestation, sending glass flying everywhere and evoking screams from the other patrons.

Across the street you can see a news van parked and the scramble of a news crew getting ready to start reporting on the madness - apparently they beat even the police and emergency services here - though they would undoubtedly be just around the corner, though you can't hear sirens yet.

Everyone Else

Your phones buzz, no matter where you are - Dr. Payne's emergency lines had amazing reception, after all. It's just a text, but when you look you can see that it comes from Aurora, alerting everyone to the situation at the Diner.

Svarthilde and Diesel

"I uh...I wasn't...looking..." The clearly perverted guy says. But he finds his way out of the crowd, along with one or two others who undoubtedly were also "taking in the sights". Teenagers.

Mongoose

The pair sneer at you. "Yeah, you're right. We wouldn't want to catch your gross monster's disease, anyway - freak!" Says the one you addressed directly. They get up to leave - and just so happen to dump their popcorn and soda over your head as they walk by, laughing maliciously as they go.

Lurker

Okay, okay, so you bust out of there, but where do you run in your panic? Is it someplace you like to go when confronted with this sort of situation? Or is it a blind sort of panic that takes you some place unexpected. Either way, where are you now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Svarthilde Odinsdottor

"drat... I was hoping we'd have time for beer."

Placing two fingers to her mouth Svarthilde whistled, a high sharp noise which pierced the conversations and hearing of everyone present and echoed through the walls. She hung up the plastic gun and eyed the food court and restaurants full of beer in the distance regretfully before nodding towards the mall's outer doors to Diesel.

"We should get outdoors for this. Doctor Payne was most insistent after the last time and I gave her my word a serious effort would be made."

The skies in the distance darkened with flame and rage-filled equine screams.

"Wouldst thou like a ride to the battle?"

Calling my Kirbycraft which is both highly noticeable and a giant horse made of fire and angry so we can join in on the no doubt awesomelarious battle. Also waiting outside so it doesn't Koolaid through any walls on the way in. Hey dude you want a ride to the party?

• Locked thread