Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NerdsMcGee
Sep 23, 2006
My hands are too stained...

Sofia Coppola_OD_ posted:

I ended up finding a sd to usb thing and used a newer sd card and redid everything, still getting the same error. As I understand it, I could have everything set up perfectly and still get this error? This is basically where everyone had to spend a million attempts? I'm ok with that if it's the case.

Thanks again for all the help.

Are you able to check the MD5s of the files? If they match, it's try, and try again unfortunately.

IT IS OFFICIALLY TIME TO BE EXTRA CAREFUL WHILE DOWNGRADING, AS IT IS NOT KNOWN WHEN 10.4 WILL HIT, AND RECOVERING YOUR 3DS THROUGH SAFE_MODE MAY RESULT IN AN UPGRADE TO 10.4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

NerdsMcGee posted:

Are you able to check the MD5s of the files? If they match, it's try, and try again unfortunately.

IT IS OFFICIALLY TIME TO BE EXTRA CAREFUL WHILE DOWNGRADING, AS IT IS NOT KNOWN WHEN 10.4 WILL HIT, AND RECOVERING YOUR 3DS THROUGH SAFE_MODE MAY RESULT IN AN UPGRADE TO 10.4

Should I preemptively disable my internet connections?

NerdsMcGee posted:

1) use gui_format.exe (Google) and format card to FAT32
2) place homebrew starter kit (starter.zip from Smealum's site) onto the SD Card's root.
3) Place card in your 3DS and it will automatically create a Nintendo 3DS folder, which is linked to your current System Software.
4) ???
5) Profit with more blocks for your blocking pleasure.

Thanks. I asked because my SD card didn't have any space at all most likely from Monster hunter. I backed up my entire SD card to my PC and deleted everything in the SD and panicked.

Thanks for the info.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
Can you install updates from the eshop or do you have to track down .cias from shady websites? I'm on 10.3 right now.

NerdsMcGee
Sep 23, 2006

KoldPT posted:

Can you install updates from the eshop or do you have to track down .cias from shady websites? I'm on 10.3 right now.

eShop is currently down, so I would wait for the dust to settle. I believe going forward (until a new method for accessing the eShop is found) you will need to track down the update files yourself and install them.

NerdsMcGee
Sep 23, 2006

Dizz posted:

Thanks. I asked because my SD card didn't have any space at all most likely from Monster hunter. I backed up my entire SD card to my PC and deleted everything in the SD and panicked.

Thanks for the info.

It's not that your internet connection should currently matter (in fact you want to leave it alone and active for safe_mode if needed), but just know that if you soft-brick the system it is highly likely you will wind up on a version that is not exploitable.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Can I not just reconnect my internet settings in safe mode? seems like a thing I should be able to do.

pokecapn
Oct 17, 2003

yeah, galo sengen
I've got a Wii with 4.1 and BootMii installed, along with a bunch of HD Loader forwarding WADs. I'm trying to figure out how I can upgrade to the latest System Menu and eShop, run a NAND backup through BootMii, clean out the WADs, and then do the Wii U system transfer. I think if I then restore the backup I'd get to keep everything on the Wii too.

Is upgrading as simple as running ModMii? Do I need something special to delete WADs or can I do it through the system menu?

NerdsMcGee
Sep 23, 2006

Dizz posted:

Can I not just reconnect my internet settings in safe mode? seems like a thing I should be able to do.

No, You can't change your internet settings in Safe_mode.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Dizz posted:

No, because I'm pretty sure you need the internet to be on to downgrade anyway. I think it needs a connection to check the CIA file info, or at least it did last week when I was doing it.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

NerdsMcGee posted:

eShop is currently down, so I would wait for the dust to settle. I believe going forward (until a new method for accessing the eShop is found) you will need to track down the update files yourself and install them.

So if I haven't started this process (just got home :argh:) you would recommend to wait till the maintenance is over?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

pokecapn posted:

I've got a Wii with 4.1 and BootMii installed, along with a bunch of HD Loader forwarding WADs. I'm trying to figure out how I can upgrade to the latest System Menu and eShop, run a NAND backup through BootMii, clean out the WADs, and then do the Wii U system transfer. I think if I then restore the backup I'd get to keep everything on the Wii too.

Is upgrading as simple as running ModMii? Do I need something special to delete WADs or can I do it through the system menu?

Try this guide https://gbatemp.net/threads/guide-to-safely-update-your-softmod-fixes-most-compatibility-issues.394397/

NerdsMcGee
Sep 23, 2006

Fellis posted:

So if I haven't started this process (just got home :argh:) you would recommend to wait till the maintenance is over?

Downgrade? Doesn't matter at this point, just know that ending up on 10.4 is more likely than not as the night goes on.
eShop on emuNAND? Will not work, as the eShop is down, and when it comes back up, will need testing as the current method of spoofing will probably be patched.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
yeah I need to downgrade

bleh

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

I managed to do the Menuhax thing smoothly but Sysupdater ain't working for me. I'm sure I have the right files ready but it just throws a black screen at me. I can reset the 3ds and go back to the 3ds main menu fine and I can also boot into the homebrew thing as well.

NerdsMcGee
Sep 23, 2006

Dizz posted:

I managed to do the Menuhax thing smoothly but Sysupdater ain't working for me. I'm sure I have the right files ready but it just throws a black screen at me. I can reset the 3ds and go back to the 3ds main menu fine and I can also boot into the homebrew thing as well.

I'm going to edit the OP for this, but the motto for Downgrading is Try, Reboot, Try again.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

NerdsMcGee posted:

I'm going to edit the OP for this, but the motto for Downgrading is Try, Reboot, Try again.

Oh is THAT where everyone was getting stuck at? I thought it was the browserhax part.

Sofia Coppola_OD_
Nov 1, 2004

For anyone else on a N3DS getting stuck with the Failed To Find Cia! error in sysupdater, I was able to fix this problem and successfully downgrade using this alternative version of sysupdater: https://gbatemp.net/threads/simple-guide-to-downgrading-your-3ds.407888/page-91#post-5923549

NerdsMcGee
Sep 23, 2006

Dizz posted:

Oh is THAT where everyone was getting stuck at? I thought it was the browserhax part.

It can be both, but if you get into browserhax once, install menuhax and you'll be golden.

Edited OP to reflect the 3DS' desire to be a dirty little rebooted SOB.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Yeah I've got menuhax working and I can always boot from it now. it's just that ONE part that made my heart skip a beat since it was the update part.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Just make sure you're using Julian20's sysupdater, as earlier versions caused bricks.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

The Iron Rose posted:

Just make sure you're using Julian20's sysupdater, as earlier versions caused bricks.

I'm using the one from here. https://gbatemp.net/threads/simple-guide-to-downgrading-your-3ds.407888/

Should I find a different one?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Dizz posted:

I'm using the one from here. https://gbatemp.net/threads/simple-guide-to-downgrading-your-3ds.407888/

Should I find a different one?

That one's safe, you're fine.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

I'm supposed to reboot on this since it doesn't have those numbered steps. correct?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
People are apparently working on a more stable version of sysupdater, which will be useful for 10.4 where a failed sysupdater can mean a softbrick and update to unhackable firmware. If 10.4 is released and you're still on 10.3 it may be worth considering holding off on more attempts until there is a completely stable downgrader.

Dizz posted:

I'm supposed to reboot on this since it doesn't have those numbered steps. correct?
If you have the correct .cias in your /update folder on your sdcard, you just press Y. If your error message is something like 'failed to get cia info' you reboot and try again.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
If anyone's thinking about blocking DNS to prevent upgrades, remember that if you get a soft brick, you won't be able to use the system restore thing since you've blocked nintendo's servers.

NerdsMcGee
Sep 23, 2006

sharktamer posted:

If anyone's thinking about blocking DNS to prevent upgrades, remember that if you get a soft brick, you won't be able to use the system restore thing since you've blocked nintendo's servers.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe it's actually blocking anything anymore?

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Pierson posted:

If you have the correct .cias in your /update folder on your sdcard, you just press Y. If your error message is something like 'failed to get cia info' you reboot and try again.

I was told to just reboot and try again if I didn't see something about numbered steps. I was under the assumption that it just failed the previous part.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Dizz posted:

I was told to just reboot and try again if I didn't see something about numbered steps. I was under the assumption that it just failed the previous part.
'Numbered steps' was probably referring to what appears on the screen when you start the downgrade; a big list of CIA files as they're being overwritten. The downgrader process is you pressing Y when you're 100% certain you have the correct .cias for your type of 3DS and region. Generally one of three things will happen when you do:

1: Success, the process begins, filenames scroll down the screen as the firmware is downgraded. Leave your DS alone when it does this, don't touch it again until it's rebooted to the homescreen.
2: 'Failed to get cia file info' or something similar, this means you reboot and try again.
3: Screen becomes unresponsive, reboot and try again.

This step will fail a whooole bunch of times. Persevere.

Pierson fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jan 12, 2016

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

My big fear will be pressing Y, getting no response for 10 seconds and then hold the power button and seeing something begin as it's shutting off.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

NerdsMcGee posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe it's actually blocking anything anymore?

It is still blocking Nintendo servers. You can also update dns in recovery mode as well.

NerdsMcGee
Sep 23, 2006

flyboi posted:

It is still blocking Nintendo servers. You can also update dns in recovery mode as well.

It looks like the only one it's not blocking is the one I picked at random to test:

nslookup nus.cdn.c.shop.nintendowifi.net 107.211.140.65
Server: 107.211.140.65
Address: 107.211.140.65#53

Non-authoritative answer:
nus.cdn.c.shop.nintendowifi.net canonical name = nus.cdn.c.shop.nintendowifi.net.edgesuite.net.
nus.cdn.c.shop.nintendowifi.net.edgesuite.net canonical name = a743.d.akamai.net.
a743.d.akamai.net canonical name = user-att-107-211-136-0.a743.d.akamai.net.
Name: user-att-107-211-136-0.a743.d.akamai.net
Address: 23.78.220.24
Name: user-att-107-211-136-0.a743.d.akamai.net
Address: 23.78.220.43

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
That domain is not necessary to block http://yifan.lu/2015/03/23/nintendo-3ds-system-updater/

The most important one is nus.c.shop.nintendowifi.net which returns localhost

The others are just attempts to be careful

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

flyboi posted:

Typically setting up emunand and the sort will nuke all your saves and might update the encryption on your system so the saves won't be usable.

Well I guess that's only Animal Crossing gone, unless MH4U cart or any other carts do stupid poo poo. I can still get back to my eshop account though, yeah?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

kirbysuperstar posted:

Well I guess that's only Animal Crossing gone, unless MH4U cart or any other carts do stupid poo poo. I can still get back to my eshop account though, yeah?

On O3DS kinda? Depends on if 10.4 drops as usually when a new version comes out emunand doesn't function until the loader is updated. I am not going to say if it's a good or bad idea however because you could get in trouble with Nintendo on a legitimate system. Personally I've always had a spare DS for hacking

... which leads to :psypop:

And if someone is wanting a 4.x 3DS I'm probably going to end up selling the O3DSXL sometime next week-ish probably.

Edit: whoa, CFW gonna beat Gateway for once
https://twitter.com/RxTools/status/686671460111413251

emunand 9.5+ support coming with rxtools 3.0 on Nu3DS

flyboi fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jan 12, 2016

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Finally managed to downgrade on my last attempt for the day.

Sofia Coppola_OD_
Nov 1, 2004

I've completed every step on my N3ds and now have FBI on my homescreen and everything. However, I did all of this on a 4gb sd card, and I'm going to want to move to a larger one down the line. What is the process for changing sd cards?

P.S.: I'm proud of you dizz

NerdsMcGee
Sep 23, 2006
You could use the EmuNAND backup tool to capture the .bin, format the new SD Card using EmuNAND9 and re-inject as well.

Sofia Coppola_OD_
Nov 1, 2004

zen death robot posted:

You'll have to be sure to clone the hidden partition that contains emunand

I'm backing up the 32gb sd card I was originally using now.

is there a program or system setting i can use to ensure that the hidden partition gets copied? I'd prefer to do it outside of emunand backup tool if possible.

edit: didn't realize there was a PC version of the emunand tool, sorry~

For anyone else who wants to clone their sd card, this thread has 2 methods: https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-transfer-emunand-to-another-sd-card-working-on-new3ds.383684/

Sofia Coppola_OD_ fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jan 12, 2016

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

flyboi posted:

On O3DS kinda? Depends on if 10.4 drops as usually when a new version comes out emunand doesn't function until the loader is updated. I am not going to say if it's a good or bad idea however because you could get in trouble with Nintendo on a legitimate system. Personally I've always had a spare DS for hacking

Yeah, fair enough. I'd considered a second system but they're like a hundred bucks here so welp. Guess I'll mull this over for a bit, cheers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Still following the steps for CFW. It's saying to get rxtools Nightly but the link provided has a disabled dropbox link. Any suggestions?

• Locked thread