Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sofia Coppola_OD_
Nov 1, 2004

zen death robot posted:

You'll have to be sure to clone the hidden partition that contains emunand

I'm backing up the 32gb sd card I was originally using now.

is there a program or system setting i can use to ensure that the hidden partition gets copied? I'd prefer to do it outside of emunand backup tool if possible.

edit: didn't realize there was a PC version of the emunand tool, sorry~

For anyone else who wants to clone their sd card, this thread has 2 methods: https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-transfer-emunand-to-another-sd-card-working-on-new3ds.383684/

Sofia Coppola_OD_ fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jan 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

flyboi posted:

On O3DS kinda? Depends on if 10.4 drops as usually when a new version comes out emunand doesn't function until the loader is updated. I am not going to say if it's a good or bad idea however because you could get in trouble with Nintendo on a legitimate system. Personally I've always had a spare DS for hacking

Yeah, fair enough. I'd considered a second system but they're like a hundred bucks here so welp. Guess I'll mull this over for a bit, cheers.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Still following the steps for CFW. It's saying to get rxtools Nightly but the link provided has a disabled dropbox link. Any suggestions?

Robert Red Rocket
Apr 28, 2013

CHEATED ON HIS WIFE, SLEPT WITH PROSTITUTES ON FBI TAPES, JACQUELINE KENNEDY SAID MLK WAS TAPE-RECORDED BY FBI PLANNING A SEX PARTY
Hey is it worth buying a cheaper Nintendo nu3DS XL in Japan just to hack it so I can play games region free, like, are there any other caveats?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Dizz posted:

Still following the steps for CFW. It's saying to get rxtools Nightly but the link provided has a disabled dropbox link. Any suggestions?

If you have a N3DS, instead google for "Reinand 2.1" and "pastebin". You'll find a download link, unzip what you find there on your SD card. You should then (among other things) have a reiNand.dat file on the root of your SD card.
If you use the CTR Boot Manager + Menuhax, you can add this to the boot manager .cfg to add it to the selection:

code:
{
  title  = "ReiNAND";
  path = "/reiNand.dat";
  offset = "0x12000";
}
Otherwise, you can also start it via the homebrew launcher.

ppiixx
Nov 2, 2012
Started out with a EU N3DS on 10.3, downgraded to 9.2.0-20E, hacked to bits, emunand created, sysnand reset to unlink it and then upgraded emunand to 9.5.0-23E via sysupdater.

Booting into emunand using rxTools

Retail carts work fine.
Region free is working.

Most of my (purchased!) eshop games are working in emunand but a few, including steamworld heist and etrian mystery dungeon, are just hanging on the 3DS logo.

Do I need to grab patched versions or is there some CFW workaround?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

ppiixx posted:

Started out with a EU N3DS on 10.3, downgraded to 9.2.0-20E, hacked to bits, emunand created, sysnand reset to unlink it and then upgraded emunand to 9.5.0-23E via sysupdater.

Booting into emunand using rxTools

Retail carts work fine.
Region free is working.

Most of my (purchased!) eshop games are working in emunand but a few, including steamworld heist and etrian mystery dungeon, are just hanging on the 3DS logo.

Do I need to grab patched versions or is there some CFW workaround?

Well apparently rxtools is coming out with a version compatible with 9.5+ emuNAND, so you'll be set either way in a few weeks. But as is you'll need to find a "cryptofixed" version of the game/update.

ppiixx
Nov 2, 2012

The Iron Rose posted:

Well apparently rxtools is coming out with a version compatible with 9.5+ emuNAND, so you'll be set either way in a few weeks. But as is you'll need to find a "cryptofixed" version of the game/update.

Huh, is the version I am running now not compatible with 9.5? I installed a nightly from the gbatemp rxtools thread though I can't find a version number in the archive or the app itself.

Edit: oh guess you mean higher than 9.5 sorry. Yes that makes sense.

Edit2: wow the rom sites sure like their adverts and malware don't they. Invisible iframe playing video adverts. Redirects to dodgy shopping sites. Redirects to malware.

ppiixx fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Jan 12, 2016

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Links behind 3 adfly clones.

NerdsMcGee
Sep 23, 2006
My hands are too stained...
Looks like we only got Wii U 5.5.1, and no 3DS update. This is probably going to be the last 3DS window for downgrading from 10.3 to 9.2.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Has browserhax been blocked?

Sofia Coppola_OD_
Nov 1, 2004

i'm having the most insane difficulty successfully cloning my 4gig sd card to the 32gig sd card. Every time I use emunandtool it makes a different sized emunand.bin and the injector only wants one of a specific ~950mb size. I'm probably just going to start from scratch on the larger card, but I accidentally partitioned it and have to learn how to restore my unallocated space on windows 7.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Sofia Coppola_OD_ posted:

i'm having the most insane difficulty successfully cloning my 4gig sd card to the 32gig sd card. Every time I use emunandtool it makes a different sized emunand.bin and the injector only wants one of a specific ~950mb size. I'm probably just going to start from scratch on the larger card, but I accidentally partitioned it and have to learn how to restore my unallocated space on windows 7.

Unsure about the first part but go to control panel > show all items > administrative tools > computer management. From there click disk management and you can repartition the sd card.

Sofia Coppola_OD_
Nov 1, 2004

flyboi posted:

Unsure about the first part but go to control panel > show all items > administrative tools > computer management. From there click disk management and you can repartition the sd card.

this actually doesn't work, but I found a very easy way to do it.

Hit windows+r to bring up the run dialog.
Type "diskpart" once the command window is open.
Type "list disk" find the sd card, and type "select disk #" where #=the disk number from the list.
Type "clean" and hit enter.
Type "create partition primary" and hit enter.
Type "exit" and hit enter, and you're done.

For whatever reason the actual disk management windows tool cannot interact with the unallocated space at all. It probably sees it as like linux/non-winOS filesystem architecture or something, who knows.

Sofia Coppola_OD_ fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jan 12, 2016

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Sofia Coppola_OD_ posted:

Use emuNAND tool 1.01 instead of 1.03

Sofia Coppola_OD_
Nov 1, 2004

The Iron Rose posted:

Use emuNAND tool 1.01 instead of 1.03

it gives me an "Unknown NAND Size" error. I'm just gonna redo all the post-downgrade steps from scratch on the new sd card.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

New, safest version of SysUpdater released that actually checks to verify you have the proper files and won't let you proceed otherwise: https://gbatemp.net/threads/wip-safesysupdater.409392/

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

I managed to get Rxtools and whatnot all set up and the N3ds now loads back to it's main menu with an FBI icon added for installing CIA files.

are there any non :filez: things I can install on this?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Dizz posted:

I managed to get Rxtools and whatnot all set up and the N3ds now loads back to it's main menu with an FBI icon added for installing CIA files.

are there any non :filez: things I can install on this?

Do you consider emulators :filez:? The n3DS is a pretty good emulation machine.

NerdsMcGee
Sep 23, 2006
My hands are too stained...

Andrast posted:

Do you consider emulators :filez:? The n3DS is a pretty good emulation machine.

I believe we've been given the okay for Emulation talk.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

I'l pass on emulation to be honest.

Is there a way I can bring back my NNID stuff or is that looking for trouble?

E: Nevermind. don't care anymore

Dizz fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jan 13, 2016

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
No files or links but the keys for 9.6+ have been leaked out and are available so expect 10.3 on emuNAND soon-ish.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You mean for new3DS owners right?

Anyway, incase anyone is interested, I was able to downgrade, emunand, unlink, upgrade emunand to 10.3 etc all on OSX without any issue.

But count me in as another dummy who did this all on their crappy 4gb SD card and doesn't have room for much of anything anyway. Time to buy a new card!

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
I want 10.3 for the dumbest reason, just to put badges on folders again.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah
Any easy way to delete demos or eshop games I installed before I installed CFW? I'm on a N3DS with RX-E 9.2.0-20U.

Another question, I should probably just wait for 10.3 emunand before updating that eh? I can't imagine 9.5 is much different than 9.2. The guide I used didn't have a step for updating, or I missed it, that's also possible. I fell asleep half way though a couple days ago and finished yesterday.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

ddogflex posted:

Any easy way to delete demos or eshop games I installed before I installed CFW? I'm on a N3DS with RX-E 9.2.0-20U.

Just go to system settings and remove them like normal.

ddogflex posted:

Another question, I should probably just wait for 10.3 emunand before updating that eh? I can't imagine 9.5 is much different than 9.2. The guide I used didn't have a step for updating, or I missed it, that's also possible. I fell asleep half way though a couple days ago and finished yesterday.

9.5 is pretty much just for accessing eshop with firmware spoofing. If you don't need that you can just wait.

This guide explains how to do it if you want to:
http://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-how-to-update-emunand-on-a-n3ds.393701/

Andrast fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jan 13, 2016

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Andrast posted:

Just go to system settings and remove them like normal.

System settings shows no apps installed? They're on the home screen though, and I can launch them.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Really good OP, OP. Could you go into more detail about the 3DS downgrade process, or just post the most useful/detailed downgrade guide from GBAtemp or reddit or something?

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Dizz posted:

I'l pass on emulation to be honest.

Things you can emulate on 3DS or N3DS:

MAME
FBA Next
Cave Story
Sega CD
Playstation 1
Gameboy Advance
PC Engine CD
Windows 95
Windows 98
Windows 3.1
MD DOS

Not always well but hey, it's there.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
I had that issue too. The best I could do was trawl through the "Nintendo 3DS\extdata" folder and search for the title IDs on http://www.3dsdb.com/ . Go down the directory tree until you get to the folders that contain the ctr files, then look up the last five (I think) digits of those folders, delete those if it's something you know you don't need. A few didn't come up when I searched but they were small so it didn't really matter.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

sharktamer posted:

I had that issue too. The best I could do was trawl through the "Nintendo 3DS\extdata" folder and search for the title IDs on http://www.3dsdb.com/ . Go down the directory tree until you get to the folders that contain the ctr files, then look up the last five (I think) digits of those folders, delete those if it's something you know you don't need. A few didn't come up when I searched but they were small so it didn't really matter.

I was hoping there was an easier way to do this, oh well, I'll wait until I need space. I've had a dozen or so demos on the thing I never bothered deleting just because I have a big SD card and never used the space for anything.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Wii U Firmware 5.4.0 now has the homebrews and backup launcher, but not wupinstaller yet.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

5.5.0 has Pong and button checker homebrew, but no kernel access yet.

Hilariously, the homebrew is distributed as mp4.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Heran Bago posted:

Things you can emulate on 3DS or N3DS:

MAME
FBA Next
Cave Story
Sega CD
Playstation 1
Gameboy Advance
PC Engine CD
Windows 95
Windows 98
Windows 3.1
MD DOS

Not always well but hey, it's there.

link me a nethack that uses touch screen for commands and I will add you on my steam friends list.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

How dangerous is installing the so called legit CIAs? I don't really want to downgrade because of losing badges on my homescreen but it would be cool to have a back up of Animal Crossing. Would Nintendo be able to tell I have it if I log into the eShop with it installed?

Also I just have Ironhax installed on 10.3 with a few emulators/roms and I want to upgrade to a bigger SD. Do I just drag and drop to the new card like with no homebrew installed or are there extra steps now?

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
10.3 emuNand on New 3DS is now possible with the latest Rei CFW.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Badges and the sort will be back as reinand and cakesfw already support 10.3. Rxtools also announced support for 10.3 but their update pipeline is slower. Gateway will be Soon(tm)

The big thing with cfw/gateway is that it is supported now however since Nintendo cares about Nu3DS they will likely care about the hacks and re-lockout the cfw.

What this means is Nu3DS will most likely be stuck on 10.3 up until the next big hack as they will cycle keys and fix the holes that leaked them.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Not quite. Nintendo can't change keys on consoles already shipped and there's apparently nowhere else to hide the keys, so 9.5+ is cracked for good. If there are problems with future firmware versions it won't be due to a lack of decryption keys.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
The keys are in the boot rom and it's very easy to cycle them. This was a problem sometime in the 6.x-7.x days because the save key was cycled which meant any game played on a modified 3ds would nuke the save when you put it in a legit 3ds.

Until the boot rom is exploited it will be the same because of this. The previous key sharing between Wii u and 3ds will most likely be split as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

The Iron Rose posted:

Not quite. Nintendo can't change keys on consoles already shipped and there's apparently nowhere else to hide the keys, so 9.5+ is cracked for good. If there are problems with future firmware versions it won't be due to a lack of decryption keys.

you are honestly so helpful

so does this mean that the n3ds has a higher likelihood of 10.3 being the new firmware you should keep your sysnand on (i.e. should i buy one because now the last advantage of an o3ds is gone)?

• Locked thread