Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Flagrama posted:

10.3 emuNand on New 3DS is now possible with the latest Rei CFW.

So there's pretty much no downside now other then voided warranty?

I'm just worried about potentially having my NNID banned or something since I have so much digital content between my 3DS and Wii U.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Ernie. posted:

you are honestly so helpful

so does this mean that the n3ds has a higher likelihood of 10.3 being the new firmware you should keep your sysnand on (i.e. should i buy one because now the last advantage of an o3ds is gone)?

SysNAND should always be on 9.2 or lower, because otherwise you don't have access to the kernel, and therefore access to Custom Firmware. But for the n3DS, emuNAND can go up to 10.3 soon, which means eshop access and the ability to play every game without having to cryptofix it either manually or by downloading certain updates.

SeANMcBAY posted:

So there's pretty much no downside now other then voided warranty?

I'm just worried about potentially having my NNID banned or something since I have so much digital content between my 3DS and Wii U.

You can't even void your warranty really. Just take your SD card out and your 3DS is on 9.2 without anything done to it, and simply being on an un-upgraded firmware doesn't void your warranty.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jan 14, 2016

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Ernie. posted:

you are honestly so helpful

so does this mean that the n3ds has a higher likelihood of 10.3 being the new firmware you should keep your sysnand on (i.e. should i buy one because now the last advantage of an o3ds is gone)?

No. Sysnand will be at 9.2 and emunand is what benefits from the key leaks.

If you think of the arm9/arm11 CPUs as objects with instructions being called memchunkhax2 does some major magic that pushes instructions that normally exist only on arm9 into arm11. A very very specific instruction allows overwriting the system that normally only exists in arm9. Sysupdater takes advantage of this instruction which allows the downgrade.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Can you use different CFW's with the same emunand? Like if I was impatient could I run the reinand launcher, upgrade emunand and use it until rxtools supports 10.3?

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Dizz posted:

link me a nethack that uses touch screen for commands and I will add you on my steam friends list.

That'll be the day.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tbd.NetHack
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tbd.UnNetHack
https://code.google.com/p/nethackdroid/
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/inethack2/id962114968?mt=8

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

sharktamer posted:

Can you use different CFW's with the same emunand? Like if I was impatient could I run the reinand launcher, upgrade emunand and use it until rxtools supports 10.3?

Yep. You can even auto boot reinand apparently, just set it to offset 0x120000 (or whichever one rxtools is by default) in boot.cfg

Robert Red Rocket
Apr 28, 2013

CHEATED ON HIS WIFE, SLEPT WITH PROSTITUTES ON FBI TAPES, JACQUELINE KENNEDY SAID MLK WAS TAPE-RECORDED BY FBI PLANNING A SEX PARTY
Just wanna confirm here, I bought a Japanese N3ds LL that comes pre-installed with 9.9, right out of the box. Can I downgrade the system to 9.2 or is the hardware tied to 9.9 being the base firmware?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Justin Time! posted:

Just wanna confirm here, I bought a Japanese N3ds LL that comes pre-installed with 9.9, right out of the box. Can I downgrade the system to 9.2 or is the hardware tied to 9.9 being the base firmware?

You can downgrade it just fine.

Robert Red Rocket
Apr 28, 2013

CHEATED ON HIS WIFE, SLEPT WITH PROSTITUTES ON FBI TAPES, JACQUELINE KENNEDY SAID MLK WAS TAPE-RECORDED BY FBI PLANNING A SEX PARTY

Andrast posted:

You can downgrade it just fine.

Alright thanks!

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

The Wii U situation right now:

RoadrunnerWMC posted:

Hi. This is my first post here, so a little bit about myself: I'm friends with Marionumber1 and MrRean, and have been graciously given access to that team's private exploits. I mainly make level editors and other editors for Wii U game files. (For the record, I'm also the person who updates the exploit compatibility table on http://rhcafe.us.to/ .)

I've been watching this thread for a very long time, and decided to finally make an account here to clear up what the current Wii U hacking situation is, since there seems to be a whole lot of confusion.

Types of exploits (sorted by amount of access granted)
With a userspace exploit (usually through WebKit in the Internet Browser), you can run Hello World and basic homebrew games. These exploits are mainly important because they are needed to run more exploits. These are referred to interchangeably as "userspace," "userland" and "WebKit" exploits.
With a Cafe OS ("kernel") exploit, you can run TCPGecko and any of the programs that end in -iine (and probably some others I'm forgetting). In order to run one of these exploits, you first need a userspace exploit.
With an IOSU exploit, you get all of the benefits of a kernel exploit, plus more access to lower-level services. Most IOSU exploits first require a kernel exploit; Hykem's is unusual in that it only requires a userspace exploit.

Exploit status on recent firmware versions
5.3.2:
A WebKit userspace exploit is available. There is a public, extremely unreliable kernel exploit in the form of the infamous OSDriver race attack. Several private IOSU exploits exist.
5.4.0: The libstagefright MP4 userspace exploit is available. The unreliable kernel exploit from 5.3.2 still exists. Several private IOSU exploits exist.
5.5.0: The libstagefright MP4 userspace exploit is available. The OSDriver kernel exploit is gone, but there is a different kernel exploit that is extremely reliable, which is currently private. Several private IOSU exploits exist.
5.5.1: libstagefright userspace exploits no longer work. There is no replacement userspace exploit yet, but I know that several people from the team are trying to find one. Nothing else has changed; the reliable (yet private) kernel exploit from 5.5.0 should still work, in theory, but can't be used due to the lack of a userspace exploit. Several private IOSU exploits exist, and theoretically work, but can't be used for the same reason as the kernel exploit.

Hykem's IOSU Exploit
The IOSU exploit Hykem is working on should work on any version that already has a userspace exploit. Right now, this means anything except 5.5.1. When a userspace exploit is found for 5.5.1, the IOSU exploit will work there immediately; we know this because the 5.5.1 update data only affects the internet browser.

Summaries
5.3.2:
Reliable userspace exploit, unreliable kernel exploit (OSDriver), private IOSU exploits.
5.4.0: Reliable userspace exploit (MP4), unreliable kernel exploit (OSDriver), private IOSU exploits.
5.5.0: Reliable userspace exploit (MP4), private reliable kernel exploit, private IOSU exploits.
5.5.1: No userspace exploit. Private reliable kernel exploit (theoretically), private IOSU exploits (theoretically). Because there's no userspace exploit, the other exploits can't be run.

TL;DR
Versions that can be used for fun hacks right now: 5.3.2, 5.4.0
Versions that can be used for fun hacks by private teams now, and by you in the future: 5.5.0
Versions that nobody has run fun hacks on yet: 5.5.1
("Fun hacks" are TCPGecko, Cafiine, Dumpiine, ___iine, etc. Things that require both a userspace and a kernel exploit.)

Hopefully that helps some of you understand where we're at right now. I'll be around here to answer questions now and then.

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.
I followed these instructions to install CFW on my N3DS: http://hackinformer.com/2016/01/12/3ds-rxtools-tutorial/. At the end it states to "update the system as you normally would". So I did that... which brought me to 10.3 and now I can't access RXTools anymore. When I boot without the SD card it is back up to 10.3, do I have to downgrade and everything again and redo it all?

shaitan fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jan 15, 2016

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

shaitan posted:

I followed these instructions to install CFW on my N3DS: http://hackinformer.com/2016/01/12/3ds-rxtools-tutorial/. At the end it states to "update the system as you normally would". So I did that... which brought me to 10.3 and now I can't access RXTools anymore. When I boot without the SD card it is back up to 10.3, do I have to downgrade and everything again and redo it all?

You're supposed to update while in emunand. Sounds like you updated sysnand, which means you're back to square one.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Also with a Nu3DS you do not want to update emunand right now. Rxtools should have 10.3 support very soon however if you update emunand to 10.3 it will cease functioning until the update comes out. O3DS can update emunand to 10.3 though.

flyboi fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jan 15, 2016

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.

Stink Terios posted:

You're supposed to update while in emunand. Sounds like you updated sysnand, which means you're back to square one.

I was pretty sure I was still in emunand when I did the update, but you are probably right. Is the right way to tell if you go to the system settings and it has the RX next to the system update version?

Should I instead download the 9.5 system update and use sysupdater to get it to that?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

shaitan posted:

I was pretty sure I was still in emunand when I did the update, but you are probably right. Is the right way to tell if you go to the system settings and it has the RX next to the system update version?

Should I instead download the 9.5 system update and use sysupdater to get it to that?

Just wait a few days for the update to rxtools. It should be out pretty soon since the latest commit messages are in regards to emunand support. The benefit of 9.5 vs 9.2 is minimal unless you really need to get into the eShop this weekend.

Also when updating emunand if you look at the system version number it is always preceeded with an identifier i.e "GW3D 9.5.0-28" or "RX3D" etc. Only run system update from MSET when you see those identifiers.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Sounds like you might as well wait until rxTools supports 10.3. Either downgrade your emunand so you can use it with rxTools again or use Reinand until rxTools supports 10.3

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.

sharktamer posted:

Sounds like you might as well wait until rxTools supports 10.3. Either downgrade your emunand so you can use it with rxTools again or use Reinand until rxTools supports 10.3

Ok, I'm leaving for a trip overseas in a few hours so I was hoping to get it as much set as I can before I head out, but I think I'll just downgrade the sysNand down to 9.2 again and just see if I can do it at a later date. I should be able to use all my eshop games in the meanwhile in 9.2...I hope.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

shaitan posted:

Ok, I'm leaving for a trip overseas in a few hours so I was hoping to get it as much set as I can before I head out, but I think I'll just downgrade the sysNand down to 9.2 again and just see if I can do it at a later date. I should be able to use all my eshop games in the meanwhile in 9.2...I hope.

So long as you didn't split your emunand/sysnand yet then the saves/eshop should still work fine

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.

flyboi posted:

So long as you didn't split your emunand/sysnand yet then the saves/eshop should still work fine

I'm really not sure what that means, I did install rxTools and formatted my SD card so it had the hidden partition and an emuNand right before I did the update. If splitting is a seperate process then I am fine. Ironfall doesn't boot anymore but some other eshop games (early Sega 3D ones) still launch fine.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

shaitan posted:

I'm really not sure what that means, I did install rxTools and formatted my SD card so it had the hidden partition and an emuNand right before I did the update. If splitting is a seperate process then I am fine. Ironfall doesn't boot anymore but some other eshop games (early Sega 3D ones) still launch fine.

Splitting the nands is when you go into MSET and reformat the 3DS with the sd card ejected. If you have not formatted the 3ds via MSET yet it should be fine.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

flyboi posted:

Splitting the nands is when you go into MSET and reformat the 3DS with the sd card ejected. If you have not formatted the 3ds via MSET yet it should be fine.

Can't you just format it through the system menu?

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.

flyboi posted:

Ok Perfect, I didn't get that far. I'm guessing that things like ironfall (1.1) and my newer eshop games don't work because they are expecting a higher firmware.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

ddogflex posted:

Can't you just format it through the system menu?

MSET = system & settings menu

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Loadiine v3 is now working on 5.4.0, assuming you pull off the unreliable kernel exploit.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
What would I have to do if I swapped SD cards? I installed emunand on the new card and copied everything over but it's having issues starting so I guess I'm missing something.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Dizz posted:

What would I have to do if I swapped SD cards? I installed emunand on the new card and copied everything over but it's having issues starting so I guess I'm missing something.

Worst comes to worst just redo the process. Once you know what to do it's honestly quite simple.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

I don't remember a drat thing I did so this is gonna be fun.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Do I still require dev tools on my sysNand once I get emuNand set up? I don't want any homebrew stuff on my home screen for :tinfoil: reasons

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Can we install/back up DS games or would that require a flash card still?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Migishu posted:

Do I still require dev tools on my sysNand once I get emuNand set up? I don't want any homebrew stuff on my home screen for :tinfoil: reasons

You don't really need anything other than the emunand entry launcher in sysnand unless you have say a Gateway and want to rip saves off your legit cartridges to use on your backed up roms. There's some things you can do in sysnand but nothing too impressive. DSiware and using the AGB_FIRM to load gba games.

flyboi fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jan 15, 2016

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

You can rip saves off your cartridges with svdt through the homebrew launcher though, and that works with both eshop and cartridge saves iirc.

also there needn't be anything indicating your 3DS is anything other than normal on sysnand other than menuhax, which you use to autoboot to emunand where all your CIAs and custom themes and the like are installed.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Dizz posted:

Get EmuNAND9. Allows you to dump your SysNAND and EmuNAND to back them up, dump your current SysNAND into your EmuNAND if you messed it up somehow, allows you to format your current SD card if you want to set up a EmuNAND on a new card, and some more advanced things like automatically setting up a homebrew package after formatting a SD card.

Here's the manual.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

HenryEx posted:

Get EmuNAND9. Allows you to dump your SysNAND and EmuNAND to back them up, dump your current SysNAND into your EmuNAND if you messed it up somehow, allows you to format your current SD card if you want to set up a EmuNAND on a new card, and some more advanced things like automatically setting up a homebrew package after formatting a SD card.

Here's the manual.

Thanks for this, but I cautiously refollowed the tutorial on installing cfw.

E: and i guess i hosed up somewhere, because I'm trying to set up the part where it coldboots into the homebrew launcher and deals with the .boot file, but all it does is take me back to the 3ds menu screen.

E2: no matter what I do, I can't continue. I'm just gonna put this down for now and later I will reformat my sd card and do it all over again.

Dizz fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jan 16, 2016

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Trying to install the homebrew loader as a .cia onto my EmuNAND, and I get a "DESCRIPTION_DATABASE_DOES_NOT_EXIST" / "DESCRIPTION_INVALID_DATABASE" error! msg. Apparently, it has something to do with 2 database files not existing in the dbs folder deep within the Nintendo 3DS folder. I don't understand how to create those files though, because the emuNAND file structure is on a hidden partition and doesn't seem to be accessible from windows when my SD cart is being accessed by my PC. Is there an app for this?

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
This is the guide I uses for downgrading and installing cfw. http://pastebin.com/ndvW5Aji

For the two posts above mine, please consult this because it should solve all of your issues.

NerdsMcGee
Sep 23, 2006
My hands are too stained...

BabyRyoga posted:

Trying to install the homebrew loader as a .cia onto my EmuNAND, and I get a "DESCRIPTION_DATABASE_DOES_NOT_EXIST" / "DESCRIPTION_INVALID_DATABASE" error! msg. Apparently, it has something to do with 2 database files not existing in the dbs folder deep within the Nintendo 3DS folder. I don't understand how to create those files though, because the emuNAND file structure is on a hidden partition and doesn't seem to be accessible from windows when my SD cart is being accessed by my PC. Is there an app for this?

You don't need to touch the hidden partition; There's another folder in your "Nintendo 3DS" folder which has extdata, which is where you make the dbs folder and create the two zero-byte files. Then when you go into Software Management, click 3DS and the 3DS will rebuild the inventory.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

NerdsMcGee posted:

You don't need to touch the hidden partition; There's another folder in your "Nintendo 3DS" folder which has extdata, which is where you make the dbs folder and create the two zero-byte files. Then when you go into Software Management, click 3DS and the 3DS will rebuild the inventory.

Ok, got that out of the way.

Now i'm getting a red screen whenever I run the homebrew launcher. The CIA installed just loops me back to the selector for rxtools that loads in lieu of menuhacks, and if I choose homebrew launcher from that screen, it starts to load but freezes on red.

edit: I gather that it's pointing to the wrong boot file, because I can still launch from the selector menu via file browser.

BabyRyoga fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Jan 16, 2016

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah Red Screen is boot.cfg trying to boot something you don't have or is named wrong.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Gateway released a new patch that has 10.3 EMUNAND support :toot:
http://www.gateway-3ds.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

So after spending an entire day and even breaking my sd card adapter, I came to realise that the reason that I kept failing the cfw tutorial was because...

I didn't install menuhax :suicide:

The tutorial went in great detail to occasionally change themes to disable menuhax if we had it because it caused complications but it never stated that I had to install it.

Good grief. At least I have it working now.

• Locked thread