Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Proposition Joe posted:

Mad Max: Fury Road
The Golden Winnebago: Best Trailer

Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

High-Rise for The Golden Winnebago: Best Trailer

dreadnought posted:

The Hateful Eight

Please post a link to or, even better, embed whatever trailer you're talking about. I know more than one of these had multiple trailers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Sir Kodiak posted:

Please post a link to or, even better, embed whatever trailer you're talking about. I know more than one of these had multiple trailers.

Sorry about that!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYmY2tBYins

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
I don't really get what's going on here. What are we posting FYCs for?

at any rate, if anyone's having a hard time with Best Actress, there are actually many options!

Charlize Theron, Mad Max: Fury Road
Emily Blunt, Sicario
Nina Hoss, Phoenix
Rooney Mara, Carol
Cate Blanchett, Carol
Melissa McCarthy, Spy - seriously, from an acting perspective she's actually really, really good in it, giving a multilayered performance that also happens to be exceptionally funny
Lily Tomlin, Grandma
Brie Larson, Room
Lola Kirke, Mistress America

and Supporting Actress!
Alicia Vikander, Ex Machina
Sarah Paulson, Carol - the awards are bullshit for classifying Mara as lead, especially because it denies recognition to Paulson in an excellent supporting performance
Rachel McAdams, Spotlight
Rose Byrne, Spy
Tessa Thompson, Creed
Rebecca Ferguson, Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation - kind of a borderline case, but I'd classify her here
Julia Garner, Grandma
Greta Gerwig, Mistress America - sure, she's the titular character, but the movie almost exclusively follows Lola Kirke's character

also I would strongly FYC American Ultra for the Armond White Award. It is at 43%, and that is BULLSHIT.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

The point of FYCs is to remind people of good movies, performances, whatevers to encourage people to nominate them.

Spatula City posted:

and Supporting Actress!

This feels like a lead performance to me personally, though I'm not going to police the distinction.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Spatula City posted:

also I would strongly FYC American Ultra for the Armond White Award. It is at 43%, and that is BULLSHIT.

Don't worry, this weekend I'mma write up a post going to bat for The Midnight Swim, The Nightmare, and American Ultra.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

oof, people are gonna go to bat for American Ultra, huh? that movie was rough.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

oof, people are gonna go to bat for American Ultra, huh? that movie was rough.

I mean I'm not nominating it for anything other than Armond White, and if The Visit got 3% lower on RT then it'd be eligible and I'd nominate it instead in a heartbeat, but yeah I liked it quite a bit.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
The Armand White award will be interesting this year because there's not a lot of movies that a lot of goons loved that critics didn't. American Ultra, Chappie, Jupiter Ascending and Blackhat will likely be the main contenders.

dreadnought
Dec 28, 2006

:rolleyes:
Is 60% a firm cutoff? I know the award is meant to give recognition to films that had a wildly negative critical reaction, and not so much for middling, borderline films (like, say, Chappie), but there are some D- films that I think could still qualify. Basically, I just want Magic Mike XXL to get a nomination, but it's currently at 62%.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

If anything I'd push the cutoff lower, sorry, because as you say the point is to reward a film that was critically reviled.

I'm guessing/hoping Magic Mike XXL will be nominated in the Not-Crash category, at least.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jan 14, 2016

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

dreadnought posted:

Is 60% a firm cutoff? I know the award is meant to give recognition to films that had a wildly negative critical reaction, and not so much for middling, borderline films (like, say, Chappie), but there are some D- films that I think could still qualify. Basically, I just want Magic Mike XXL to get a nomination, but it's currently at 62%.

Chappie is at like 39%, I would not call that borderline.

dreadnought
Dec 28, 2006

:rolleyes:

I Before E posted:

Chappie is at like 39%, I would not call that borderline.

drat, I should've checked what it actually was. I use Metacritic as my preferred aggregator and I remember it being in the upper 50s or low 60s.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

For Best Actress in a Leading Role, I'm nominating Alicia Vikander in a film few here saw -- The Danish Girl. A lot of talk about this film has centered on it being "Oscar bait," whatever that means. But what Hooper does do, for better or worse, is train his camera on his actors and let them propel the story. With this technique, you get to observe Vikander in what I consider the best leading performance from an actress this year -- and I've seen all the heavy-hitting female-starring vehicles: Room, Brooklyn, Carol, Mad Max: Fury Road...

Vikander puts forth a performance that is in turns moving and devastating, capturing the passion, confusion, and frustration of coping with her partner's turbulent transition. Furtive glances at her partner's enthusiasm for feminine clothing, intense looks of passion in youthful romancing, and heart-rending concern for her partner's declining wellbeing combine to produce a dramatic tour de force.

Indeed, it is in part due to this performance that I nominate her for CineD MVP. No other actor has had a better year. In the two wildly different pictures The Danish Girl and Ex Machina, she demonstrates remarkable breadth. In her first blockbuster The Man From UNCLE, she steals the show with a confident, captivating performance that is perhaps more than the film deserves. And if you had seen her little-known World War I vehicle Testament of Youth, released in the U.S. this year to little fanfare (albeit critical acclaim), you'd have anticipated Vikander's emergence, as she elevates the classical biopic with a resonance and poignancy few living actresses can muster.

2015 would have been an even more astonishing year for her if Derek Cianfrance's The Light Between Oceans, a complete work ready for theatrical screening, hadn't been delayed to 2016 in part to avoid saddling her with even more publicity duties during award season. But we have four tremendous performances from her (three if you exclude Testament of Youth, released in Britain end-2014), and that's better than anybody else this year.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

Sir Kodiak posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWNWi-ZWL3c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGbxmsDFVnE

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
also everyone do yourself a favor and go to the nearest Redbox and rent Shaun the Sheep. it's terrific claymation + slapstick comedy + no dialogue, just grunts and such + surprising sweetness + the most adorable ugly dog.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Here's my nominations for The Golden Winnebago:
The VVitch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjBN0ByAqDk

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Gotta sling some love to some indies I adored this year:

Heaven Knows What is a 21st-century Panic in Needle Park where the scuzzy vérité of New Hollywood is replaced with its modern offspring, a menagerie of neon lights, unsavory characters, and occasional glints of magical realism. The plot, centered on Holmes' Harley, is mostly just about getting to that next fix, but also features one of the mostly oddly affecting dysfunctional romances I've ever seen with the cruel, repulsive Ilya, played with pinache by Caleb Landry Jones. Based on lead actress Arielle Holmes' actual experiences as a heroin addict in NYC, and featuring a cast of non-actors, many of whom are also addicts, the line between documentary and fiction is meshed into that perfect degree of blurry that delights my inner cinephile. The photography is incredible, the main performance is a mind-blowing debut, and the Safdie brothers have finally taken it to the next level as American indie auteurs to watch. It's a hell of a film.

:nws:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxWMc7iHt8Q

For your consideration in the categories of: Best Film, Best Actress (Arielle Holmes), Best Cinematography (Sean Price Williams), Best Editing, Best Musical Direction, Best Directors (Safdie bros.), Best Adapted Screenplay (Ronald Bronstein & Joshua Safdie), Golden Winnebago for Best Trailer.

I must also give major props to Tangerine, the funniest film I saw this year. It's got a tight storyline revolving around a singular journey and purpose: Sin-Dee Rella, a trans prostitute, finds out her boyfriend has been sleeping around on her, and spends the whole picture tracking him down. Meanwhile, there's this weirdly endearing subplot about a married Armenian cab driver who loves to frequent these corners for action. Kitana Kiki-Rodriguez, much like Holmes above, is a knockout first-time performer whose intense energy drives the whole experience. By the way, the whole film was shot with an iPhone (with rigs and lenses), a budgetary affordance that not only gives the film a uniquely authentic look of the streets of Los Angeles with that big blue and orange sky, but without which the movie likely never could have been made. This one's on Netflix and it's only 90 minutes so you have no excuse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALSwWTb88ZU

For your consideration in the categories of: Best Film, Best Actress (Kitana Kiki-Rodriguez), Best Director (Sean Baker), Best Original Screenplay (Sean Baker, Chris Bergoch), Best Cinematography (Sean Baker, Radium Cheung), Best Production Design, Best Editing, Best Musical Direction, Not-Crash Award for Socially Forward Filmmaking.

Kull the Conqueror fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jan 14, 2016

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Kull the Conqueror posted:

I must also give major props to Tangerine, the funniest film I saw this year. It's got a tight storyline revolving around a singular journey and purpose: Sin-Dee Rella, a trans prostitute, finds out her boyfriend has been sleeping around on her with a real woman, and spends the whole picture tracking him down. Meanwhile, there's this weirdly endearing subplot about a married Armenian cab driver who loves to frequent these corners for action. Kitana Kiki-Rodriguez, much like Holmes above, is a knockout first-time performer whose intense energy drives the whole experience. By the way, the whole film was shot with an iPhone (with rigs and lenses), a budgetary affordance that not only gives the film a uniquely authentic look of the streets of Los Angeles with that big blue and orange sky, but without which the movie likely never could have been made. This one's on Netflix and it's only 90 minutes so you have no excuse.

For your consideration in the categories of: Best Film, Best Actress (Kitana Kiki-Rodriguez), Best Director (Sean Baker), Best Original Screenplay (Sean Baker, Chris Bergoch), Best Cinematography (Sean Baker, Radium Cheung), Best Production Design, Best Editing, Best Musical Direction, Not-Crash Award for Socially Forward Filmmaking.

i'd throw best supporting actress for Mya Taylor in there too, i thought she gave the best performance in the film.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

For your consideration for The Golden Winnebago:

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice - Comic-Con Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WWzgGyAH6Y

Calamity Brain
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

For your consideration... a perpetual sunrise...

Todd Haynes' latest has only grown in esteem in my mind since I saw it, and ever since I've been desperate to rewatch Carol, which details a forbidden romance in 50's New York between Therese (Rooney Mara) and the older sophisticate Carol (Cate Blanchett, more beguiling than ever). Carol is such a quiet and lovely work of genius that it's difficult for me to even articulate why I loved it so much, but it inspired a reaction from me that I rarely get from movies: it makes me swoon. What's remembered from Carol is not plot points or scenes, but objects and textures. It's conjured from memory not like a film viewed but a life lived. I don't know if that's a trick or an act of skill, but it sure is weird and wonderful either way.

Best Picture
Best Director: Todd Haynes
Best Actress in a Leading Role: Cate Blanchett
Best Actress in a Leading Role: Rooney Mara
Best Original Score
Best Cinematography

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

InfiniteZero posted:

There should be some sort of award for making a movie that gets you kicked out of the ALIEN franchise I think.

"Chappie ruin director's career Chappie?"

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

For Your Consideration: The Gift
Best Actor In A Leading Role - Jason Bateman
Best Actress In A Leading Role - Rebecca Hall
Best Actor In A Supporting Role - Joel Edgerton
Best Food Scene - Dinner At Gordo's (he serves drinks, I'm counting it)
Best Cinematography - Eduard Grau

This wasn't one of my favorite movies of the year as a whole, but it really excels in its character work and how it uses every bit of the space in the main characters' suburban house for unsettling atmosphere.

I Before E fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jan 29, 2016

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Alright, things have gotten slow, so time for nominations. Nominations are due end-of-day Saturday, February 6, 2016.

Nominations can be submitted either by private messaging me, or emailing goonys2016@gmail.com. If you're going to email, include your user name in the email. As I said in the OP, all that's required to nominate or judge is to have any sort of presence in the CineD forum.

Include up to seven, and ideally at least three, nominations in each of the categories listed in the first post in the thread. Please do the categories in the same order I have them there to make compiling the nominations easier.

Ideally for the trailer category you'd list the movie and the name of the trailer on Youtube. If it's just going to be the name of the movie then please post the trailer in the thread and I'll assume that's the one anyone who nominates the movie is talking about.

Let me know if you have any questions. Thanks to everyone for the great posts so far.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Quick last minute note: Don Hertzfeldt's World of Tomorrow is on Netflix. I think it deserves not only Best Animated Film consideration but also Best Film and Best Musical Direction. It's the best work of science fiction I saw in 2015.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Just a reminder, any category where you'd name a person, except for MVP, should include the relevant movie, such as for the directing, acting, vocal/motion, etc. categories. Thanks!

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
Sent my nominations in. I left some categories blank because I didn't see any or enough eligible films, and I only nominated from the films that I did see. I also had some trouble coming up with nominees for Best Supporting Actress, I didn't see Carol or The Danish Girl but that wouldn't have mattered if I had because those are cases of category fraud anyways.

Would it be kosher to post the nominations we sent?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

If you don't have things you want to nominate for a category that's fine. You saw what you saw.

Proposition Joe posted:

Would it be kosher to post the nominations we sent?

I feel like more focused posts that are directed at a limited number of movies are more useful. My suggestion would be, look at your nominations and see if there's anything in there that haven't gotten much attention in this thread and try promoting those.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I'd really be interested in seeing what people went with for Editing, since imo Margaret Sixel just buried the competition with Fury Road.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Proposition Joe posted:

didn't see Carol or The Danish Girl but that wouldn't have mattered if I had because those are cases of category fraud anyways.

:confused: Carol's pretty danged good. It's primarily a Cate vehicle and she slays it.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

:confused: Carol's pretty danged good. It's primarily a Cate vehicle and she slays it.

Furthermore it's one you don't have to feel scuzzy liking, because the director probably didn't molest his children!

Calamity Brain
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

I think he's saying that Rooney Mara and Alicia Vikander should be considered leads, not supporting, even though they're in the Oscars as such. Hence category fraud.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

RandallODim posted:

Furthermore it's one you don't have to feel scuzzy liking, because the director probably didn't molest his children!

Wait what?

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

TrixRabbi posted:

Wait what?

Cate won an Oscar for Blue Jasmine.

Also my b. above. Vikander still deserves best supporting for Ex Machina, if you ask me.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Cate won an Oscar for Blue Jasmine.

Also my b. above. Vikander still deserves best supporting for Ex Machina, if you ask me.

Ooooh I misread it as some weird accusation against Todd Haynes.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I've been super busy at work but my nominations will be in by tonight, I promise!

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I'll be putting together the nomination list tomorrow afternoon, so anyone else looking to submit entries should get them in. Thanks!

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
My nominations are in! Some categories were surprisingly hard -- there were tons of great and great-looking films last year.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I got mine in. I really struggled on some, but I feel my nominations were fair.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Best Picture
Beasts of No Nation
The Big Short
Chappie
Creed
Ex Machina
The Hateful Eight
It Follows
Sicario
Tangerine

Best Director
Cary Joji Fukunaga, Beasts of No Nation
Denis Villeneuve, Sicario
George Miller, Mad Max: Fury Road
Quentin Tarantino, The Hateful Eight
Ryan Coogler, Creed

Best Actor in a Leading Role
Domhnall Gleeson, Ex Machina
Leonardo DiCaprio, The Revenant
Michael B. Jordan, Creed
Samuel L. Jackson, The Hateful Eight
Tom Hanks, Bridge of Spies

Best Actor in a Supporting Role
Benicia del Toro, Sicario
Idris Elba, Beasts of No Nation
Oscar Isaac, Ex Machina
Tom Hardy, The Revenant
Walton Goggins, The Hateful Eight

Best Actress in a Leading Role
Cate Blanchett, Carol
Charlize Theron, Mad Max: Fury Road
Emily Blunt, Sicario
Kitana Kiki Rodriguez, Tangerine

Best Actress in a Supporting Role
Jennifer Jason Leigh, The Hateful Eight
Jessica Chastain, Crimson Peak
Rooney Mara, Carol
Tessa Thompson, Creed
Yolandi Visser, Chappie

Best Vocal or Motion Capture Performance
Amy Poehler, Inside Out
Jennifer Jason Leigh, Anomalisa
Julia Pott, World of Tomorrow
Shalto Copley, Chappie
Tom Noonan, Anomalisa

Best Animation
Anomalisa
Inside Out
Shaun the Sheep Movie
World of Tomorrow

Best Film Editing
Claudia Castello and Michael P. Shawver, Creed
Hank Corwin, The Big Short
Julio C. Perez IV, It Follows
Margaret Sixel, Mad Max: Fury Road
Stephen Mirrione, The Revenant

Best Makeup and Costuming
Crimson Peak
The Hateful Eight
The Revenant

Best Original Score
Ennio Morricone, The Hateful Eight
Jóhann Jóhannsson, Sicario
Junkie XL, Mad Max: Fury Road
Ludwig Göransson, Creed
Rich Vreeland, It Follows

The Echoplex Award for Art Design
Beasts of No Nation
Chappie
The Hateful Eight

Best Documentary
Best of Enemies
Call Me Lucky
The Look of Silence
The Nightmare
Winter on Fire: Ukraine's Fight for Freedom

The Moral High Horse Award: Most Reprehensible Film
Entourage
Get Hard
Jurassic World
Knock, Knock
The Ridiculous 6

The Not-Crash for Socially Forward Filmmaking
The Big Short
The Look of Silence
Magic Mike XXL
Tangerine

Best Food/Meal Scene
The Big Short, dinner with Wing Chau
Bone Tomahawk, cave butcher
The Gift, dinner at Gordo’s
The Hateful Eight, the stew
The Revenant, the buffalo

The Armond White Award for best film under 60% on Rotten Tomatoes
American Ultra (43%)
Blackhat (34%)
Chappie (31%)
In the Heart of the Sea (43%)
Terminator: Genisys (25%)

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice - Comic-Con Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WWzgGyAH6Y

The Revenant | Official Teaser Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRfj1VCg16Y

Star Wars: The Force Awakens Trailer (Official)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGbxmsDFVnE

Suicide Squad Comic-Con Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WI3hecGO_04

Tangerine - Red Band Trailer

The Michael Bay Award for Best Noises or Lack Thereof (Sound Design)
The Hateful Eight
The Revenant
Sicario

Best Ensemble Cast
The Big Short
Furious 7
The Hateful Eight
Spotlight

Best Action Choreography
Creed
Furious 7
Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation
Sicario

Best Adapted Screenplay
Adam McKay and Charles Randolph, The Big Short
Drew Goddard, The Martian
George Miller, Brendan McCarthy, and Nico Lathouris, Mad Mad: Fury Road
Mark L. Smith and Alejandro G. Ińárritu, The Revenant

Best Original Screenplay
Alex Garland, Ex Machina
Quentin Tarantino, The Hateful Eight
Sean S. Baker and Chris Bergoch, Tangerine
Taylor Sheridan, Sicario
Tom McCarthy and Josh Singer, Spotlight

Best Visual Effects
Chappie
Ex Machina
The Revenant

Best Cinematography
Emmanuel Lubezki, The Revenant
John Seale, Mad Max: Fury Road
Robert Richardson, The Hateful Eight
Roger Deakins, Sicario

CineD MVP
Alicia Vikander
Domhnall Gleeson
Jennifer Jason Leigh
Oscar Isaac
Tom Hardy

Best Musical Direction
The Big Short
Creed
Magic Mike XXL
Straight Outta Compton

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Feb 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Rooney Mara in Supporting Actress? CineD sure embraces the Weinstein Company's category fraud practices.

• Locked thread