Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I put actors and actresses in whichever of best or supporting they were nominated more in. There's not really a great solution to it.

Also, voting is open. I'd encourage people to give it a few days so that we might have some discussion about the nominees, but the process will be similar to nominating. Votes can be submitted either by private messaging me, or emailing goonys2016@gmail.com. If you're going to email, include your user name in the email. All that's required to judge is to have any sort of presence in the CineD forum. You do not have to have submitted nominations to vote.

List your selection in each category. If you don't feel comfortable making a selection in a category, that's fine. Please do the categories in the same order I have them here to make compiling the votes easier.

Votes are due end-of-day Sunday, February 14, 2016.

Further, if you'd like to present a category or two, let me know by posting here. Presenting can be as simple as posting the result, but people have generally taken the opportunity to write a paragraph or two, and some people go a little farther in putting together a video. It's an opportunity to say a little bit about the winner and/or the nominees. People have done some fun things in the past, but it doesn't have to be much. The winner will be provided to the presenter at least a week in advance, with the announcements spread out over the course of the week leading up to the Academy Awards, as we've done previous years. If you'd like to present and don't have private messages, you'll need to provide me with an email address as a way to send you the winner.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Feb 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kangra
May 7, 2012

No Room anywhere? Now I feel bad for not submitting a nomination.

And I don't think it has a chance, but it'd be funny if Chappie won Best Picture and lost Armond White.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

Kangra posted:

lol at Charlie Theron getting on there for Mad Max and Brie Larson is nowhere to be found.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Proposition Joe posted:

lol at Charlie Theron getting on there for Mad Max and Brie Larson is nowhere to be found.

Brie Larson is already a Cinebyte winner.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Room didn't get a very wide release did it? There's only one theater I've seen it listed at within a two hour radius of me and it only ever showed in the middle of the day so I had no way to see it :shrug:

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Brie Larson was on the bubble, but didn't quite make it.

Literally everyone who submitted nominations nominated Mad Max: Fury Road for at least one thing. I'm not knocking any particular nomination, but it's definitely benefitting from having universally been seen. That said, in no category was it particularly dominating the competition. It's nominated for a lot, but all the categories seem to be up for grabs.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
I think it's a pretty cool list for an aggregate, although I'm surprised Mark Rylance got left out.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I'm glad The Gift got nominated for best Food/Drink, at least.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Having to pick between Oscar Isaac and Walton Goggins is pretty brutal.

And I'm going to be pretty pissed if Mad Max wins Best Score.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I really need to watch Beasts of No Nation. It just seems like it'll be depressing. I see Tangerine got added to Netflix.ca today, so I might be able to catch that one as well.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Beasts of No Nation isn't as depressing as you might fear given the subject matter. It's grim, but not really a tough watch. Shades of Full Metal Jacket. And seeing it will let you vote for Idris Elba as best supporting actor, which is what his performance deserves.

Tangerine is also on American Netflix for people who haven't seen it. Ex Machina is included for streaming with Amazon Prime. I highly recommend watching both before making your best leading actress selection.

Sadly, Sicario isn't streaming anywhere, but it's absolutely fantastic and worth seeing if you haven't. I won't be disappointed if Mad Max wins, but Sicario deserves it more.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Sad to see Bridge of Spies didn't get more love in the nominations. Guess it didn't make the same impression on everyone that it did on me.

Sicario deserves all the awards it gets. Hands down my favorite film of the year. It even gave us the best CineD thread of 2015!

Just realized I didn't nominate Cartel Land for best documentary :negative:

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Why is Mad Max under Musical Direction? Doesn't it just have a score? I thought the category was referring to soundtrack curation.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Why is Mad Max under Musical Direction? Doesn't it just have a score? I thought the category was referring to soundtrack curation.

It's there because people nominated it for it. And, yes, I would highly encourage people to not vote for it in that category since it doesn't have any of what the category is intended to applaud.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Sir Kodiak posted:

It's there because people nominated it for it. And, yes, I would highly encourage people to not vote for it in that category since it doesn't have any of what the category is intended to applaud.

Well, musical direction isn't just licensed song choice, it's also the way you implement those songs and use them. Mad Max makes excellent use of its score and is deserving of a nomination. Whereas The Big Short, even with a bitchin' dad rock soundtrack, lays its songs in at the wrong times. Who's loving great idea was it to explain complicated banking information at the same time Lithium and Sweet Child O Mine are playing in the background?

Anyway, I'm torn between voting Best Pic for Mad Max, which is the frontrunner and phenomenal and deserving, and Tangerine which is a close runner-up, more of a dark horse, but amazing and worth the praise.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Fury Road got 5 votes from me, followed by The Revenant with 4 and then a few things with 2 or 3. Also, because it seems like no one has laid claim to it, I'd be willing to present for Best Ensemble, and also Moral High Horse if we're allowed more than one.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

RandallODim posted:

Also, because it seems like no one has laid claim to it, I'd be willing to present for Best Ensemble, and also Moral High Horse if we're allowed more than one.

You're definitely allowed to do more than one, so those are yours.

It would be great if a few more people volunteered to present stuff. It doesn't take much to do one and you'll have your result a week in advance of when I'd ask you to post it. You can either pick an unclaimed category, or, if you'd prefer, you can volunteer to do one or two and I can pick categories where you voted for the winner so that you'll know you saw the winner and liked it.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I'll do the Armond White award.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I'd like to present one, doesn't matter which.

Droopy Goines
Aug 2, 2003

Presented in DTS ES 6.1 where available.

Kangra posted:

Me too. I have seen a lot of 2015 movies and Room was definitely the best one in a strong field.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
I'll present The Michael Bay Award for Best Noises or Lack Thereof (Sound Design) award. :)

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Just saw this list. No Revenant as best picture or best director?! No Brie Larson or any awards for Room? Crazy.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ewar Woowar posted:

Just saw this list. No Revenant as best picture or best director?! No Brie Larson or any awards for Room? Crazy.

Judging by the reactions in its thread, CineD overall wasn't impressed with The Revenant. I don't get it either. Chappie somehow made the best picture list though. This forum is full of weird cranks and that's what makes it fun.

Also, like one person saw Room.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

Judging by the reactions in its thread, CineD overall wasn't impressed with The Revenant. I don't get it either. Chappie somehow made the best picture list though. This forum is full of weird cranks and that's what makes it fun.

As one of the weird cranks who advocated for Chappie even I don't know how it made the best picture list.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

I nominated Room for a ton of awards and y'all failed me.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

TrixRabbi posted:

Room failed me by not being available to see anywhere until I'd already nominated things.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

TrixRabbi posted:

This process has shown me how many good films I missed this year even though I saw more of them than ever before. 2016 will be different.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

So many of those best picture nominations are incredibly flawed; The Hateful Eight, Chappie, It Follows (which I loved), and Sicario (which I also enjoyed but was nothing compared to his other movies). Also I HATED the Big Short and think I must be the only one.

I loved The Revenant and while I can understand why the type of film isn't everyone's cup of tea I can't imagine people can look at it and say it's not worthy of being one of the best films released last year.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Ewar Woowar posted:

I loved The Revenant and while I can understand why the type of film isn't everyone's cup of tea I can't imagine people can look at it and say it's not worthy of being one of the best films released last year.

It absolutely is not. Pretty to look at, but its a tired story made excruciatingly long.

Droopy Goines
Aug 2, 2003

Presented in DTS ES 6.1 where available.
The Revenant was decent, but it mostly just made me want to watch Ravenous again.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

TrixRabbi posted:

It absolutely is not. Pretty to look at, but its a tired story made excruciatingly long.

I guess it's subjective as I loved the pacing.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

So I've decided not to worry about a schedule. If you're posting something, go ahead and do it when you're ready, though ideally we might get them out by the Academy Awards this Sunday just to be done with it.

On which subject, our first winner: World of Tomorrow for Best Animation.

Always a delight, Don Hertzfeldt moved to digital production with World of Tomorrow, keeping his hand-crafted (now with a tablet) stick figures and embedding them in a world that takes advantage of computer techniques. Hertzfeldt maintains his streamlined art style for this often dark tale of humanity's future, allowing him to produce imagery of grim subject matter rendered in a storybook style, for an effect that's both evocative and funny.

http://i.imgur.com/IbZobzp.gifv

With the crisp and abstract digital world of the future contrasting with the hand-drawn roughness of the humans travelling within it.

http://i.imgur.com/ErTVIGT.gifv

Hertzfeldt makes careful use of each frame, updating different layers on different frames to produce near-constant progression in the animation without requiring that every element be animated at a full 24 fps.

http://i.imgur.com/fgRq5k2.gifv

And with an appreciation for not just the rendering of his sci-fi plotline, but the basic pleasure of an animation of a stick figure child wiggling for the sheer joy of it.

http://i.imgur.com/UIcmUx7.gifv

It's only sixteen and a half minutes and it's available for streaming from Netflix, so there's no reason not to just go watch it.

Unfortunately, I haven't seen our winner for Best Vocal or Motion Capture Performance, Tom Noonan in Anomalisa. But from what I understand, he provides the voice for every character besides the two main ones, so clearly he was a major presence. If you've seen it and and enjoyed it, please feel free to say a kind word.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Right, look lively with your ears, goons, and see here the 2016 Sound Design Michael Bay Award for Best Noises (or lack thereof):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3lB5kPFJec
Lotta vroom-zroom-metalheads out there, I see.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Nice. I loved It's a Mad Mad Fury Road.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Due to a fuckoff snowstorm I haven't had much opportunity to put together a post for the Best Documentary and Not-Crash awards, so forgive the sparse nature of this write-up.

Best Documentary 
Best of Enemies 
Call Me Lucky 
The Look of Silence
The Nightmare 
Winter on Fire: Ukraine's Fight for Freedom  

The Not-Crash for Socially Forward Filmmaking
The Big Short 
The Look of Silence
Mad Max: Fury Road 
Magic Mike XXL 
Tangerine 

The Look Of Silence was never not going to win these awards. Much like Oppenheimer's previous documentary The Act Of Killing, it is a cut above the rest. Where The Big Short represents people in power and explains their wrongdoing, and Mad Max Fury Road analogises power structures and their wrongs in a fantasy context, Oppenheimer does not represent or analogise, but presents, showing these people and how they hide their guilt. It's not about the past, it's about action taken in the here and now.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Great job everybody! Thanks again for doing those.

Best Actor in a Leading Role
Domhnall Gleeson, Ex Machina
Leonardo DiCaprio, The Revenant
Michael B. Jordan, Creed
Samuel L. Jackson, The Hateful Eight
Tom Hanks, Bridge of Spies

Just a really great, relatively restrained leading-man performance without any dependence on the sort of absurd theatrics available to some of his competitors. Simply always where the film needs him to be.

Best Actor in a Supporting Role
Benicia del Toro, Sicario
Idris Elba, Beasts of No Nation
Oscar Isaac, Ex Machina
Tom Hardy, The Revenant
Walton Goggins, The Hateful Eight

Probably my favorite all-around performance of the year. He humanizes a monster, even at his most monstrous. Absolutely magnetic and the lynchpin of a story that only just quite isn't about him.

Best Actress in a Leading Role
Alicia Vikander, Ex Machina
Cate Blanchett, Carol
Charlize Theron, Mad Max: Fury Road
Emily Blunt, Sicario
Kitana Kiki Rodriguez, Tangerine

An impressively skillful translation of the weird ticks of a humanoid robot into the charming idiosyncrasies of the indie dreamgirl. There's been a lot of talk in this thread about Brie Larson not even being nominated for Room, which I doubt will be helped by the sexy robot winning, but Alicia Vikander absolutely deserves praise for this refreshingly novel take on a fairly cliched type of character.

Best Actress in a Supporting Role
Jennifer Jason Leigh, The Hateful Eight
Jessica Chastain, Crimson Peak
Rooney Mara, Carol
Tessa Thompson, Creed
Yolandi Visser, Chappie

Yeah, she's great. Jennifer Jason Leigh's funny, charming dirtbag is a highlight of a movie already filled with great actors giving great performances.

CineD MVP
Alicia Vikander
Domhnall Gleeson
Jennifer Jason Leigh
Oscar Isaac
Tom Hardy

Everybody loves Oscar Isaac so I don't think I really have to say much here. He so regularly gives incredibly fun performances that they had to break the fundamental logic of the story in The Force Awakens just so that they could keep him in the franchise.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

Oh dear.

I enjoyed the animation winner recommendation though! Thanks, CineBytes.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Best Original Score
Ennio Morricone, The Hateful Eight
Jóhann Jóhannsson, Sicario
Junkie XL, Mad Max: Fury Road
Ludwig Göransson, Creed
Rich Vreeland, It Follows

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0B0M1lVuFo4

Best Musical Direction
The Big Short
Creed
Mad Max: Fury Road
Magic Mike XXL
Straight Outta Compton

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hquXuuHxzcM

The Golden Winnebago: Best Trailer
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice - Comic-Con Trailer
The Revenant | Official Teaser Trailer
Star Wars: The Force Awakens Trailer (Official)
Suicide Squad Comic-Con Trailer
Tangerine - Red Band Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGbxmsDFVnE

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

loving lmao at Michael B Jordan winning best actor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

straight up brolic posted:

loving lmao at Michael B Jordan winning best actor

repeal affirmative action

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

• Locked thread