Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
http://labroots.com/trending/id/2137/being-lean-and-unfit-is-better-than-being-fat-and-fit/health-and-medicine

quote:

Being "Lean and Unfit" is Better Than Being "Fat and Fit"
December 24, 2015
| Written By: Julianne Chiaet

People often argue that a person can be both fat and fit. Now, Swedish researchers claim that's not possible. They say it's even better to be “lean and unfit” than “fat and fit.” In 2012, another team of scientists argued that overweight and obese people who were "metabolically fit" did not have a higher risk of developing heart disease or cancer than people of normal weight. Being "metabolically fit" meant not having insulin resistance, diabetes or high blood pressure. According to their criteria, about half of the study's 43,000 obese participants were fit. Their study was published in the European Heart Journal.

The negative effects of low aerobic fitness are well documented. However, few studies have investigated the link between aerobic fitness and health among late adolescents. Instead, most of the research has focused on older adults. Umeå University professor Peter Nordström wanted to know whether a high fitness level could make up for the increased risk of death caused by obesity in younger populations. Nordström and a team of researchers collected data on 1,317,713 Swedish men. They tested the subjects' aerobic fitness by using an electrically braked cycle test. The scientists asked the men to cycle until they had to stop due to fatigue.

The participants were, on average, 18-years-old. The researchers followed the men for an average of 29 years to examine the association between aerobic fitness, obesity, and death. The scientists also collected data on the participants' physical fitness level, health conditions, socioeconomic status and causes of death. During the follow-up period, 44, 301 participants died. Men in the highest fifth of aerobic fitness had a 48 percent lower risk of death than those in the lowest fifth of aerobic fitness. The lowest fifth was the group most associated with deaths due to suicide, alcohol and narcotics. The researchers also found a strong link between trauma-related death and low levels of aerobic fitness.

The normal weight men, regardless of their fitness level, were at a lower risk of death than the obese individuals in the highest quarter of aerobic fitness.

The study is severely limited in that it surveyed a population of young men. Thus, the findings may not apply to women or older adults. In addition, causes of premature death due to fitness and obesity are more likely to occur in people over 50-years-old. These causes of death include heart disease and cancer. It is possible for the participants to develop these diseases now, but the study is over and, therefore, won't include that data.

The observational study shows an association between obesity, regardless of fitness level, and death. It does not show causality. Countless of studies have shown the benefits of exercise, so the researchers still suggest people should exercise regardless of weight. However, if a person exercises below their current abilities, they do not improve their fitness level. The study did not account for exercise that did not improve fitness level.

The research was published in the International Journal of Epidemiology.

quote:

Interesting study. Some fact-checking is in order. Either you or your editors effected to confound two studies. There's a 2012 study by unnamed researchers concluding that "fit yet fat" is not health-adverse. There is a study, published in _November 2014_ by the researcher mentioned in the journal mentioned. The study is entitled "High aerobic fitness in late adolescence is associated with a reduced risk of myocardial infarction later in life: a nationwide cohort study in men", lead author Högström G. That study looked at 752 811 men, always around the age of 18, thanks to that country's military conscription policies. I'd like to know where the author of this article comes up with "1,317,713". Indeed, all the subjects were (at the start) on average 18 yrs of age and Swedish. That study did indeed find that overweight and obese men in the top-fourths of physical fitness had a higher risk of MI (heart attacks) than did the skinny men with poor aerobic fitness. There is no similar study since then that cites this study. Therefore I conclude, it is the same study.

One interesting note: The HR (Hazard risk) from smoking was 2.36, while from being Obese (BMI>30) and unfit (lowest quartile) was 4.6!

tl;dr a skinny goon playing videogames in their parents' basement all day is still healthier and will live longer than a fat gently caress who can run a 5k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aug 4, 2010

im skinnyfat, where does that put me

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Guess you're going to have to stop using that excuse now huh OP

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

www posted:

im skinnyfat, where does that put me

you're dead >:|

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Where they finding all these fit fats. Never seen a fat that wasn't huffin and puffin half way up a hill.

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Germstore posted:

Where they finding all these fit fats. Never seen a fat that wasn't huffin and puffin half way up a hill.

football players and dadbods

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
god bless science reaffirming what was common knowledge up until 5 years ago

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
Meanwhile still no cure for tuberculosis.

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

Germstore posted:

your mom is a fit fat

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
break me off a piece of that fit fat mom

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

well, yeah of course having extra muscle doesn't offset the strain all that lard puts on your body.

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I like how fats cling to the thought that you can be morbidly obese but in good shape. It shows spunk.

What I won't tolerate is that fats are tough. Remember Tanker from road house? You are not tough, Tanker.

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010

Dave_Indeed posted:

I like how fats cling to the thought that you can be morbidly obese but in good shape. It shows spunk.

What I won't tolerate is that fats are tough. Remember Tanker from road house? You are not tough, Tanker.

It's like not using a condom and willing yourself to never get an STD .

How dare you tell me about AIDS ?! :argh:

Shaquin
May 12, 2007

Dave_Indeed posted:

I think on a rating of average, as in two people that don't work out and barring incredibly severe obesity in the fatter individual, sometimes the fatter person has more upper body strength than the naturally lean individual. I think it's something to do with dietary stuff. Neither is healthy though.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
glad to finally see gbs take fat people down a peg

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010

Grandmother of Five posted:

Maybe you can complain in QCS until the mods get tired and gas it ?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Decebal posted:

making snide comments is the most exercise he'll get this week

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

:qq:

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer
oh hello old friend

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot

you know they're too lazy to go down the pegs themselves, even when it's down-gravity

Aug 4, 2010

im sorry if we offended you

Pebergehund
Jan 21, 2010

mdm posted:

you know they're too lazy to go down the pegs themselves, even when it's down-gravity

Fats always have some excuse to take the peg-elevator

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Decebal posted:

it's better to wait until a thread has grown big enough so that you can easily spot the extremely mentally unwell people by checking a thread's top posters for who has thousands of hate-filled posts about fat people, homosexuals, stupid powerball playing poors, the chineese, xbox owners, girls, or whatever the topic happens to be

Jukeboxblues
Jul 29, 2015

Grimey Drawer
I guess if you're a skeleton you will live forever.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
me, cool gbs thin poster, beatign up some big fat gently caress who thinks he's cool:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSS1zh45Fts

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015
owned again, fats. when are you going to just give up and get thin

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
*clicks on GBS fat thread*
"oh great it's a GBS fat therad!" :mad:

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
So it 'smart at any stupid' still a thing or

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

it's better to wait until a thread has grown big enough so that you can easily spot the extremely mentally unwell people by checking a thread's top posters for who has thousands of hate-filled posts about fat people, homosexuals, stupid powerball playing poors, the chineese, xbox owners, girls, or whatever the topic happens to be

GBS is def full of mentally unwell gently caress fucks

but also your fat

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Thing is that there's therapy for mental illness but you'll be a fatty forever.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Being fat is the result of a mental illness called addiction.

Your posting is the result of a mental illness called autism.

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Medical science, cutting the legs off from underneath fats again and again.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

that's no moon

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

im glad we've outsourced our humor to 4chan

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

fina get poz'd? :cabot: :gizz: :baby:
I refuse to believe this

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

The Whole Internet posted:

quote:

Nordström and a team of researchers collected data
I knew it, this is just a conspiracy by Nordstrom and the fashion industry to use less fabric and charge the same price for their clothes! :btroll:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014
Oh boy I hope I live into my late 80's. No booze or drugs or fried foods for me, no sir!

• Locked thread