Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

If you're new to this game, be prepared to be very frustrated by outdated JRPG mechanics and design decisions. Game came out in 2012, but it very much feels like a title you would play on early PlayStation 3 or late PlayStation 2. Dragon's Dogma is still fun though, it's certainly one of the most unique RPGs out there as well, but don't be fooled by its aesthetic and giant monsters. This game can be a real bitch to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Harrow posted:

I did the auto-grinding you can do in the late game to get Warrior augments on my old Mystic Knight back on PS3. Basically, after you kill Grigori, the guards around the palace in Gran Soren become hostile and spawn infinitely. Just load up with strong pawns, park your Arisen somewhere where they can't be hit, like on top of a wall. Then walk away and come back a couple hours later to tons of DP and very little actual EXP.

I mean, it's basically cheating, but it's a way to let you skip grinding for Augments on classes you don't like playing.

http://dragonsdogma.wikia.com/wiki/Asura_Armor

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Kiggles posted:

Probably because it does get boring around that point. It definitely slows down for a good while, but mostly because the game opens up and you're at liberty to do a bunch of stuff. Available main quests aren't terribly interesting, either. Just use that time to get to Gran Soren, change classes and fiddle around. Once you find a class that clicks. Just note, it that can take a while in its own right, since some classes don't come into their own until you get to some of the later class defining skills.

Suppose that might be it. I kind of have a thing with sandboxes, they have to try a lot harder to grab me than a theme park does. Though again, I tend to have an easier time with PC games, for whatever reasons, so I'm willing to give this another go.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I am correct in assuming that the Assassin is probably the nearest class to a DMC-esque playstyle?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Isn't Assassin the one that literally has a bunch of dante's moves and animations?

Pretty sure there's some heavy DMC going on in a few of the classes

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Fighter has a good amount of DMC going on, too.

Dagger classes have Instant Reset to immediately put you into neutral, so that's pretty DMC-y, as well, and they have their own versions of DMC moves, like cutting wind and helmbreaker.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

So yeah if you want to be Medieval Dante then be an assassins and use Sword + Dags

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I played magic archer last time, is mystic knight worth trying?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

You guys don't have to ask what class to play, you can freely change it up whenever you want. In fact you really want to in order to get the most out of the game.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Play Mystic Knight to see to how low you can drop the game's FPS

The Marauder
Dec 1, 2013

Why walk out when you can outrun?

Mr E posted:

Mystic knight is pretty boss actually. It has good defensive stat progression and a shield, meaning that it is stupidly difficult to die if you are playing well. The only real weakness is a lack of range, which is completely made up for by an ability it gets toward the end of its ranks. Just play it and try it - same with all the classes really.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Mystic Knight used to be great because their primarily ability in the console version was that they could slow down time to almost a stand-still on command. Sadly this feature seems to have been removed.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Mystic Knight is basically the most fun class to play, I don't think anyone would argue it.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Nothing beats making GBS threads all over some dumbass chimera or griffon or drake with a fully-charged, well-planned Arc of Deliverance.

Nothing.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Level everything. Unlock all augments.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Mr E posted:

You can basically play the MK two ways.

1. Magic-based, where you buff yourself up and plop down great cannons/sigils. There's a whole lot of prep time involved and you spend most of your time casting a bunch of poo poo and then smacking an immobile orb with your sword, which then sends off small homing orbs towards nearby enemies. It's extraordinarily powerful if you can get everything set up but I find it to be really boring.

2. Strength-based. Load up on melee skills like blink strike/full moon slash, and physical augments. At this point you're basically a fighter that loses the incredible Dragon's Maw as well as the fighter's good stat growths, but instead gains stuff like Abyssal Anguish which is very powerful, and Sky Rapture which is versatile/fun.

Vargs fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jan 11, 2016

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Vargs posted:

You can basically play the MK two ways.

1. Magic-based, where you buff yourself up and plop down great cannons/sigils. There's a whole lot of prep time involved and you spend most of your time casting a bunch of poo poo and then smacking an immobile orb with your sword, which then sends off small homing orbs towards nearby enemies. It's extraordinarily powerful if you can get everything set up but I find it to be really boring.

2. Strength-based. Load up on melee skills like blink strike/full moon slash, and physical augments. At this point you're basically a fighter that loses the incredible Dragon's Maw, but instead gains stuff like Abyssal Anguish which is very powerful, and Sky Rapture which is versatile/fun.

Worth noting that the Strength-based MK can still make use of Magick as a stat, just not as much as the Great Cannon-casting one. I like to go for a balanced Strength/Magick build in that case and use swords with built-in elemental damage, like Ascalon and Cursed Light (the built-in elemental damage benefits from your Magick stat).

It's tons of fun and I can't recommend MK enough, really.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

And if push comes to shove and you gotta' clear a bunch of dudes really fast, you can equip a staff and be a shittier but harder to kill mage

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Personally I love being a Sorcerer. It gives you a great view of all the stuff you're fighting and lets you see pawns get hilariously thrown around like ragdolls, and casting things like Bolide and Gicel makes you feel powerful like nothing any other class can do.

MK, MA are okay too but I wasn't really feeling them as much when I tried them out. Also my dude was so magic focused going for a physical class seemed like a terrible idea.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Vargs posted:

2. Strength-based. Load up on melee skills like blink strike/full moon slash, and physical augments. At this point you're basically a fighter that loses the incredible Dragon's Maw, but instead gains stuff like Abyssal Anguish which is very powerful, and Sky Rapture which is versatile/fun.

Use the counter skills if you do this! The holy one deals a huge amount of damage to certain enemies since it can spawn the spell inside the enemy (and it damages them each frame until they expire), and the lightning counter is an easy way to kill any far off enemies that use projectiles. The other ones are gimmicky and not as useful, but this is a game that has a lot of room for gimmicks so you can just freeze some stupid hellhounds with an ice counter.

Zore posted:

MK, MA are okay too but I wasn't really feeling them as much when I tried them out. Also my dude was so magic focused going for a physical class seemed like a terrible idea.

Dunno if you're talking about the non MK/MA classes, but neither of them needs strength at all. You can also be a melee mage as a MK by casting Abyssal Anguish and using a staff, since it deals like twice as much damage on a staff as it does on a melee weapon. It's pretty fun but Great Cannon is the only way that the Mystic Knight really approaches the Sorceror in feeling of raw destruction.

Count Uvula fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jan 11, 2016

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Babe Magnet posted:

And if push comes to shove and you gotta' clear a bunch of dudes really fast, you can equip a staff and be a shittier but harder to kill mage

This is something I want to do. The augment that reduced damage while casting was broken on consoles, so being a tank mage didn't work out as well. Hoping it's fixed, because I also want to make use of those near Sorc level MK unique weapon skills.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Count Uvula posted:

Dunno if you're talking about the non MK/MA classes, but neither of them needs strength at all. You can also be a melee mage as a MK by casting Abyssal Anguish and using a staff, since it deals like twice as much damage on a staff as it does on a melee weapon. It's pretty fun but Great Cannon is the only way that the Mystic Knight really approaches the Sorceror in feeling of raw destruction.

Yeah, I just meant I never really tried Assassin/Ranger/Warrior/Fighter/Strider because I stuck with magic classes leveling up.

The Marauder
Dec 1, 2013

Why walk out when you can outrun?

Zore posted:

Yeah, I just meant I never really tried Assassin/Ranger/Warrior/Fighter/Strider because I stuck with magic classes leveling up.

There are "100% balanced" builds out there that you might consider taking a look at. They allow for varied play and maximum versatility. I can try to dig one up if you are interested.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I played this when it came out, but it felt massively held back by platform limitations. Very much looking forward to playing this in 1080/60 with the expac added :neckbeard:

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Harrow posted:

Some people have done the "Bitterblack Challenge," which is to go to Bitterblack Isle the moment you're able and never leave until you finish it. I don't think I'd want to do that myself, but it's definitely possible.

I don't think I'd ever enjoy that, but on PS3 I did go there early to sneak through and grab a certain ring that's very helpful.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Assuming a worst-case scenario where Berserk armor isn't able to be modded back in (I mean, how would that even work if you equipped it on a pawn you sent out?) what are some armors that look as neat as the White Hawk set?

Because that armor set looks really neat. :(

The Marauder posted:

There are "100% balanced" builds out there that you might consider taking a look at. They allow for varied play and maximum versatility. I can try to dig one up if you are interested.

I'd be interested in this.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CuddlyZombie posted:

I'd be interested in this.

Here's my planned "balanced" build:

http://stackoverflow.github.io/dragons-dogma-stat-planner/#af000000001e001e1e0000000000003c280000

This is focused on being a balanced Mystic Knight, hence all the MK levels, and it could definitely be stronger offensively if I didn't have those, but drat it, I wanna be a Mystic Knight, and there's no super strong reason to worry about having Strength or Magick above 500 or so. You can play around with the generator and move levels around to get the stats you want.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
here guys i made you a music video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QE1JUZFFi8M

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Is there some basic tips on what types of pawns act the best? It's been a while since I've played the game but I vaguely remember the AI was better for some than others, and there were ways you could screw up the build of the pawns by upgrading skills from useful to bugged ones.

edit: this is assuming the AI hasn't been tweaked in the PC version, which I'm assuming won't be touched much.

Zore posted:

I did the opposite in my main playthrough and stuck to the non-magic ones, and it felt like while the game encouraged trying out new vocations it was more natural to stick within magic or non-magic. Or maybe I couldn't quite get a complete shift in gameplay and it felt better to go say Fighter -> Assassin rather than Fighter -> Sorcerer.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Noper Q posted:

I'll take an invite! Steam name is the same one here (maybe without the space?).

Is this you?

To save future confusion just link your profile url.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Sobepome

I've been spending all day playing dark souls while listening to into free because it's sort of the same thing but not really

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012

Im_Special posted:

Is this you?

To save future confusion just link your profile url.

Yup, sorry. I've never seen anyone with a name even similar to mine, so I didn't think it'd cause confusion.

Already blocked in the US.

Noper Q fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jan 11, 2016

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Trapezium Dave posted:

Is there some basic tips on what types of pawns act the best? It's been a while since I've played the game but I vaguely remember the AI was better for some than others, and there were ways you could screw up the build of the pawns by upgrading skills from useful to bugged ones.

edit: this is assuming the AI hasn't been tweaked in the PC version, which I'm assuming won't be touched much.

As for inclinations:

Utilitarian is great for mage/sorc pawns with weapon enchantments. They do a much better job of keeping you buffed.

Offensive inclinations (scather, challenger, mitigator) are all good depending on what you want pawns to do, although mixing them can cause issues.

Pioneer/Medicant/Acquisitor are all pretty neutral.

Guardian/Nexus will turn your pawns into loving idiots that can't get anything done (as opposed to non-Guardian/Nexus pawns who can occasionally get things done). Unfortunately using dpad commands shifts your pawn towards Guardian, so 90% of player pawns go down that path, making them garbage.

Generally I like my pawns to go Scather primary and Pioneer secondary. Utilitarian + Scather for mages/sorcs. When I'm searching for pawns, I'll settle for almost anything with decent skills and no Guardian or Nexus.

As for abilities, there are definitely some you don't want to put on pawns. They have a very hard time casting stuff that takes a long time to get going. Some people stick to un-upgraded spells just because they can complete the cast more often due to the lower charge time. Pawn sorcerers will blind you with maelstrom, so don't give them that. They have a hard time with some of the weirder spells too, like Brontide. I find that fighters do best if you don't give them any skills except Dragon's Maw + Shield Drum. They don't use other abilities very effectively and are better off sticking to basic attacks and saving stamina for more Maws. You can also unequip your ranger/strider pawns' daggers to force them to use their bows more often (which they're better at using than their melee), although they are coded to climb on many large enemies no matter what which isn't very effective when they can only punch.

Pawn AI also gets better at fighting enemies as they gain more stars in monster knowledge.

Vargs fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jan 11, 2016

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Thanks. I remember my Strider/Ranger pawn turned out well, probably because I never called for help. I don't remember any issues with daggers over bows but I've got no clue what skills I'd allocated.

I do remember one time I hired a pawn which had Acquisitor as a primary inclination, that was hilarious.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
Just a quick reminder for everyone about just how much of a douche the gryphon is:

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Valatar posted:

Just a quick reminder for everyone about just how much of a douche the gryphon is:

This never gets old and I want this framed on my wall :)

Illuminated Rodent
Oct 28, 2010
Very pumped for this,

would like an invite to the steam group I guess, profile is Redacted.

Illuminated Rodent fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Jan 11, 2016

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

I tried playing this back on the 360 ages ago but something just didn't mesh with me. Knowing now that your particular style and class and poo poo doesn't ultimately matter has gotten me hype :buddy:

However, an important question:

How robust is the dress up mechanic? I'm a sucker for good clothes and armor options.

Phil Tenderpuss
Jun 11, 2012

Capn Beeb posted:

I tried playing this back on the 360 ages ago but something just didn't mesh with me. Knowing now that your particular style and class and poo poo doesn't ultimately matter has gotten me hype :buddy:

However, an important question:

How robust is the dress up mechanic? I'm a sucker for good clothes and armor options.

Its probably the best dressup RPG you'll ever play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Don't forget to grab annoying NPCs and throw them into the ocean.