Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
Aww. Well, I guess there wouldn't be a point in getting other peoples' Pawns if you could just make as many as you wanted. And that's good that they still have cosmetic customizations available at all times. But now I need to think about what I want to do re: my Main Pawn design-wise...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
There's so many customization options I guarantee your mind will change several times during creation.

The Marauder
Dec 1, 2013

Why walk out when you can outrun?
Alright, add me to this commune of immortal soulless waifu sharing.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Would anyone happen to have advice for someone aiming to Assassin it up, as a first time player? Any key augments I should grab and why?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
What list, and who's adding?

Here I am regardless

The Marauder
Dec 1, 2013

Captain Oblivious posted:

Would anyone happen to have advice for someone aiming to Assassin it up, as a first time player? Any key augments I should grab and why?

My personal favorites (and what I will building into again):

Clout - More strength
Vehemence - Even more strength
Grit - Regen stamina faster
Sinew - Carry more poo poo
Leg-Strength - Carry more poo poo before slowing down
Proficiency - Conserve stamina

You can do the same exact build with a magic-based character by swapping out the first two augments for two corresponding magic-boosting ones.

Also be aware of the differences size makes to your character, particularly if you are planning to play an assasin or strider.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....

I dont remember any real specifics, but i do remember the higher tier warrior augments being really good for assassins and wishing i had gotten them earlier than i did.

Also anecdotally i found sword+bow to be the most fun/versatile combo.

Bloomington
Apr 20, 2010

Im_Special posted:

Steam Group for Dragon's Dogma, it should make life easier seeing who's online, and where all those random friend invites are coming from later down the road. Can even put in a Google spreadsheet for characters there and mark it as private viewing, if we do something like that.

Just post in here or PM me your Steam Profile for an invite.

Oh, and showing off why Dragon's Dogma has the most perfect character creator.
Add me to the group so I can rent out everyone's goony rear end pawns.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
When you start the game there's some DLC items in your item chest (these ones). All of them drop within the game and at merchants regularly. The Ruminator's Monocle is entirely cosmetic and sells for 300,000g which will take care of your money worries in the early game.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
If the Steam group is still accepting people, sign me up! I promise to make sure my Pawn isn't stuck on the bad AI settings that all the pubbies have!

The Marauder
Dec 1, 2013

Also completely random tidbit that everyone new should take note of: don't get rid of your starter (rusted) weapons! They can later be upgraded to reliably place an incredibly powerful debuff on struck enemies upon hit. The bow is especially good for this.

I believe there is a place where you can buy them, but it is so much easier just to save them in your stash.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Strider:
  • Endurance: more stamina. This should be obvious.

• Arm-Strength: stamina drain while on monsters is halved. Some of the Assassin's most potent abilities (including one of the vocation-unique sword abilities) are ones used whilst clinging to a larger monster's body. Thus this augment is handy for allowing you to last longer without having t restore stamina.

• Leg-Strength: move one weight class faster. Useful for moving quicker, but if you're already in the lightest weight class (I think under 40 units) then this won't make you any faster.

Warrior:
Clout: strength up 20%. Ups your base physical damage, Assassin is a physical damage dealing class, you get the picture.

Ranger:
Morbidity: increases chance of proccing non-elemental debuffs; useful if using Spiderbite (poison causing dagger skill), Blunting arrow (Torpor causing bow skill), or a Rusted weapon*.

Are the most important ones imo. Bloodlust and Autonomy from Assassin itself are also worthwhile as they give 20% boost to all offense and 30% boost to all defense if the conditions are met (it being night and having no Pawns, respectively).

*Rusted weapons do garbage damage. But if upgraded to Rank 2, they cause Poison with all attacks done with them. If upgraded to Rank 3, they cause Torpor with all attacks done with them. Poison is a solid damage over time, and Torpor slows their movement. What you can is have a Rusted Bow on hand, use a multi arrow shot to Torpor/Poison everything, then switch to your damaging bow or shield or w/e to go in and wreck havoc.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I can't wait for the inevitable model swaps

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Pierson posted:

When you start the game there's some DLC items in your item chest (these ones). All of them drop within the game and at merchants regularly. The Ruminator's Monocle is entirely cosmetic and sells for 300,000g which will take care of your money worries in the early game.

I know that's how it was before, but what I've read seems to say that you won't be given anything now, it's all stuff you can buy from the black cat once you get to gran soren.

Orv
May 4, 2011

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

I know that's how it was before, but what I've read seems to say that you won't be given anything now, it's all stuff you can buy from the black cat once you get to gran soren.

The review copy at least throws the items in your inventory when you visit the inn in Gran Soren, but obviously patches etc.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

This post seems to be implying they'll be shoved right into your item box, which I remember is how the 360 version did it.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

You're still given all of that stuff.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Are the items you got from loading a file from the original DD into DA still present? I remember you got one that let you teleport infinitely?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

The Marauder posted:

Also be aware of the differences size makes to your character, particularly if you are planning to play an assasin or strider.

I assume this mostly amounts to "don't be a fatass"?

The Marauder
Dec 1, 2013

No, actually! There's a pretty interesting system of tradeoffs which makes every size have advantages and disadvantages.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Deified Data posted:

Are the items you got from loading a file from the original DD into DA still present? I remember you got one that let you teleport infinitely?

Yeah you get the endless ferrystone

e: Initially I hated the fact that you performed differently depending on how your guy is designed, but there's just so much that it effects that I can't hate what was clearly a well-thought-out and purposeful feature.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jan 12, 2016

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I'll add to this and say that the 50-69 weight class is my preferred for most characters. A solid carry weight (offload the heavier poo poo onto your Pawn), and with the Leg-Strength Augment you can get the fastest movement speed.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

This sounds more annoying than anything.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I think it's pretty rad and makes large/small characters feel very different in ways that make sense.

I tend to go for small characters though. That increased stamina regen is so good. If you wanted to totally min-max things you could probably go with like, the skinniest female character possible with the longest available arms and legs, but you'd end up looking like a horrifying spider creature.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
http://steamcommunity.com/id/c6h6/ invite me to the group

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Toss me an invite as well.

Can't wait for Friday. Just can't decide if I want to set poo poo on fire as a mage, or if I want to shoot things eyes out as a not-mage.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Think I'll roll with a strider/ranger/assassin Arisen with a warrior pawn.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

I like the concept of running the Arisen and Main Pawn as the same or similar classes so the pawn AI can attune better. Plus then they can dress the same and be best buddies. :buddy:

Genocyber posted:

I'll add to this and say that the 50-69 weight class is my preferred for most characters. A solid carry weight (offload the heavier poo poo onto your Pawn), and with the Leg-Strength Augment you can get the fastest movement speed.
Do small characters still work as Fighters or Warriors, with the heavier equipment requirements and combat situations where bulk can help?

It's mainly the encumbrance issues that concern me as they're a pain and I don't like making my pawn a giant just because I need a pack mule.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Great Cannon is a 40/60 strength/magic split on damage, right? I've never played an MK very far through the game, so I'm excited to see how it goes. Also curious to see i the FPS drop is still there with the great cannon/perfect block combo.

Any idea for good augments?

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Illuminated Rodent posted:

Reddit claims the berserk stuff is availible in console commands/game files so while not available in game, expect day 1 mods/cheat tables.

On the subject of stat growths if the game does develop a decent mod scene/is easy to cheat engine ignore all I said about stat growths and play the game however you like.

Edit: On the subject of sequels that'd be great. Apparently Capcoms deal with Nintendo and Monster Hunter ran it's course aswell ending in 2016. Even if it'd just be Tri, I'd buy it a third time damnit. Much like I have with DD

Is there a source for this? Please be true please be true please be true.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

DoubleNegative posted:

Can't wait for Friday. Just can't decide if I want to set poo poo on fire as a mage, or if I want to shoot things eyes out as a not-mage.

I wouldn't suggest mage/sorc for a first playthrough. I like them, but they don't play to the unique strengths of DD's combat system and are pretty bad/boring for the first few levels. Strider/Assassin are great for an initial run since they're very versatile classes that let you effectively dabble in melee, bows, and monster climbing, so I'd suggest those personally.

Trapezium Dave posted:

I like the concept of running the Arisen and Main Pawn as the same or similar classes so the pawn AI can attune better. Plus then they can dress the same and be best buddies. :buddy:

Do small characters still work as Fighters or Warriors, with the heavier equipment requirements and combat situations where bulk can help?

It's mainly the encumbrance issues that concern me as they're a pain and I don't like making my pawn a giant just because I need a pack mule.

If you and your pawn are both sorcerers, your pawn can piggyback off your spell casts. If you're 90% of the way through completing a High Bolide, your pawn can start casting it at that moment and start at 90% completion too. It's neat.

And small characters work fine as fighters. You won't have as much reach, you'll get knocked back more easily, you can't carry as much, and if you have short legs you'll maneuver around in combat more slowly unless you sprint (which takes stamina and increases damage taken). These are significant disadvantages, but insane stamina regen and a small hitbox are similarly fantastic advantages. Encumbrance will always be an issue, but it's manageable if you take the Sinew augment. You definitely can't just pick everything in sight up without offloading to your pawns if you want to stay in the minimum encumbrance zone though. Your armor, your weapons, and a handful of healing items will push you right up to the limit even with Sinew.

Vargs fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jan 12, 2016

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Illuminated Rodent posted:

Reddit claims the berserk stuff is availible in console commands/game files so while not available in game, expect day 1 mods/cheat tables.

Wasn't the Berserk stuff part of the vanilla game? I remember it being available at the store inside the mine.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Deified Data posted:

Wasn't the Berserk stuff part of the vanilla game? I remember it being available at the store inside the mine.

yes

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Post I quoted made it sound like they weren't anymore.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Deified Data posted:

Post I quoted made it sound like they weren't anymore.

yeah, they aren't. they were in the console versions, they aren't in the pc version unless someone mods them back in

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

lets hang out posted:

yeah, they aren't. they were in the console versions, they aren't in the pc version unless someone mods them back in

That's odd - were they a cross promotion for the Golden Age Arc films?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Deified Data posted:

That's odd - were they a cross promotion for the Golden Age Arc films?

i guess. probably just some specific licensing deal that they didn't bother re-upping for the pc version. same reason Into Free wasn't the title screen music in dark arisen.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Are the points to change or buy skills plentiful enough? And how often should you upgrade your pawns' equipment?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Tae posted:

Are the points to change or buy skills plentiful enough? And how often should you upgrade your pawns' equipment?

You can theoretically get infinite points. It's Discipline is essentially EXP you gain while playing as that class. Once you purchase a class you don't have to pay to swap again.

I dunno, whenever you feel like your pawn is lagging behind damage wise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Vargs posted:

If you and your pawn are both sorcerers, your pawn can piggyback off your spell casts. If you're 90% of the way through completing a High Bolide, your pawn can start casting it at that moment and start at 90% completion too. It's neat.
Dang that sounds neat, possibly overpowered even. I'd try it but I think I'll avoid magic in my first playthrough; it was fun in a way but a little hands off for my tastes.

quote:

And small characters work fine as fighters.
Sounds good. The message I'm taking is that I should just design the characters I want from aesthetics and the stats will balance themselves out. It's just a bit of a pain when you're right on the border between categories and you have make a decision which way to push them.

Also from what I remember, wasn't it super hard to make a heavy female character without going to ridiculous extremes? I remember building a 7 foot well-built Amazon one time and barely breaking into Large.