Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam is the newest entry in the Mario & Luigi series for the Nintendo 3DS featuring a crossover with the Paper Mario series.

Story
The story in this game is as simple as Luigi knocking over a book that contains the entire Paper Mario universe, the usual framing device for the story in all Paper Mario games, causing all those paper folk to spill out into Mario and Luigi's world. With Paper Mario, Paper Peach and Paper Bowser in this new non paper world and meeting their non paper counterparts, certainly something entertaining will happen.

Gameplay
Featuring the familiar Mario & Luigi "A and B controlling the brothers gameplay" with a focus on timing your attacks and dodging enemy attacks, this game adds Paper Mario to the mix, who brings along his own array of Paper Moves to combat and exploration. In general, Paper Mario can do all sorts things like create fit through thin games, fold into a paper airplane and even create paper copies of himself to increase the damage he can do as well as contribute to the two brothers Bros. Attacks and turn them into powerful Trio Attacks.

At certain points in the game, the trio will engage in Papercraft battles, which are similar to Giant battles featured in previous Mario and Luigi games. Each time, they'll control different Papercraft characters, each with their own unique abilities, and will face off against a Papercraft Boss of their own. Another new addition to the battle system is Battle Cards, which replace the Badge system of previous Mario and Luigi games. With these, the player can create a deck of ten Battle Cards and use them to do things like boost stats, lower enemy stats, restore health and Bros Points. This function also features Amiibo support if you own a New Nintendo 3DS, giving you more powerful support cards when placing an Amiibo.

Having been out in Japan, Europe and Australia for over a month now, this game will release in America January 22nd for $40 and is now available on the Nintendo eShop to download early and will unlock on day of release. Any goons in Not America, please discuss your experiences with this game and anything else you want me to add to this OP. Spoiler tag anything you feel as necessary. Also, talk about all other Mario RPGs cause they're mostly all pretty good.

Screenshots

Trailers and Videos

Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam E3 2015 Trailer
Nintendo Treehouse Live @ E3 2015 Day 1 Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam
Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam - Just the Fax Trailer
Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam TV Spot
Official Paper Jam website

Reviews
Metacritic
GameInformer
IGN

Other Mario RPGs

Super Mario RPG (1996 - SNES) - Developed by Square, this game is a bit more dense mechanic wise than the rest of the Mario RPGs and features a more standard battle system with equipment, hard stats and a party to manage, but with the added ability to do timed hits for extra damage, that would be swapped out for one a bit more lively. This game started Mario's foray into RPG's strong with a fun world along with great humor and writing.

Paper Mario (2000 - N64) - Launching the Paper Mario series, this game had a more basic battle system, one where you felt accomplished to deal even double digit damage in a single turn. This game doubled down on the timed hits mechanic of Super Mario RPG by having every action used by you or against you having a timing to it, even going so far as to negate all damage to you. By having all your party members be established enemy species in classic Mario games, along with a novel pop-up book esque art style, this game had a ton of charm. While it might be simple overall, it was a great starting point to build on and still good to go back to.

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door (2004 - GCN) - Regarded by fans as the best Mario RPG, this game improved on it's predecessor drastically with more fleshed out battle mechanics and sidequest system and even better characters and script. If you have any interest in this series, this is the one to check out.

Super Paper Mario (2007 - Wii) - A sharp change from the previous two games, this one is more of a platformer than anything. Featuring some lite RPGs elements like level ups, stats and items, you're predominantly jumping on dudes with some puzzle solving mixed in. It also features switchable main characters, with Peach, Bowser and Luigi joining Mario on his adventure for once in this series. While many knock this game for straying away from the established battle system and having an overly serious story, it's still an enjoyable experience imo.

Paper Mario: Sticker Star (2013 - 3DS) An even bigger change from the past games, this game threw out the entire battle system and any semblance of interesting story telling and characters. Being focused around stickers, this game had you collecting stickers in the environment, which you could then use in battle. However, without any sort of leveling or improvement, the problem arose where the only point to battling was to get money, and the only point of money was to buy more stickers to use in battles. Many claim it to be the worst in the series and it is, but hey it still has a creative cardboard/diorama aesthetic and it's music is still top notch.

Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga (2003 - GBA) - Taking the timed hits/action command style gameplay from the Paper Mario series, this game added the green brother Luigi to the mix, allowing the two of them to be controlled with A and B Button to hit things and dodge things. This series is more number based as the brothers actually have stats and equip gear to raise those stats. Together, the brothers learn moves they use to explore the overworld and then take those same skills into battle with Bros. moves. Like the first Paper Mario, it was a fresh, inventive game that would be built upon more later, but is still an incredibly solid game.

Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time (2005 - DS) - The bones of the last game are still here, but the big change is babies. The baby versions of Mario and Luigi come from the past and join on this adventure, giving you four party members to control in battle and adding even more ways to explore the world. This game is largely mixed as the US version's bosses and maybe even enemies had double the amount of HP, making most bosses an endurance run of absurd proportions, but the gameplay is still here and still solid, so check it for yourself I guess

Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story (2009 - DS) - Considered one of the best in the Mario & Luigi series, this game gives you a third separate playable character, Bowser. After Some Things Happen, Mario and Luigi end up inside Bowser doing RPG Stuff while Bowser is stomping around the overworld doing his own RPG stuff. Controlling Bowser in fights is a lot fun as he really feels like a freight train and has his own seperate mechanics. Some boss fights even have you fighting a dude as Bowser only for Bowser to inhale the boss inside of him to let the Bros do their RPG Stuff. Also features challenge rooms where you can master the timing of special skills and fight EX forms of bosses, all to get new and better equipment. This game also started the now current trend of Giant Battles, which have met with mixed approval. Overall, this is a hell of a game and a great starting point to get into Mario & Luigi series.

Mario & Luigi: Dream Team (2013 - 3DS) - Same Fun Gameplay, New Dream Taste. Mario and Luigi are still hitting stuff and dodging stuff with A+B, but this time, Mario can venture into Luigi's dreams at times when exploring the overworld isn't an option.. In place of Luigi during these times is Dreamy Luigi, Luigi's Dream version of himself. During combat in the Dream World, Dreamy Luigi fuses with Mario giving him more HP and attack while also giving him access to new Bros attacks. Puzzles in the Dream World are also solved by messing with Luigi's sleeping face on the bottom screen. Overall, this game was met with mostly positive fanfare with the biggest knock being that the game constantly throws tutorials at you, even while 20, 30, 40 hours in. But like all Mario & Luigi games, the gameplay at it's core is solid

Again, any info that people who have played Paper Jam have and think should be added to the OP, lemme know!

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jan 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

This game will be cute and fun like all Mario RPGs.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
*did u know* Paper Jam has the dubious honour of being the first game to contain unlocks that require you to tap multiple individual amiibo of the same character? It's just another battle card variation so it doesn't actually matter but it's still kinda shady.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Don't get your hopes up goons, this game is booooorrrriiinnnngggggg.

All the tutorials are relegated to a side menu which is nice, but the game is just so ....sterile feeling.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
I might pick this up. I like inside story so far. I guess my question is, how is dream team?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I really like Dream Team, especially the giant battles, but overall it's probably a bit weaker than Inside Story. Not by much, though. It shore is pretty, too.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Dream Team was a miserable, tedious experience and broke my heart after Bowser's Inside Story, which is still great and charming.

From what I hear, Paper Jam takes cues from the former and not the latter, which is even sadder.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I love the Koopalings and how they are presented.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

Dream Team was a miserable, tedious experience and broke my heart after Bowser's Inside Story, which is still great and charming.

From what I hear, Paper Jam takes cues from the former and not the latter, which is even sadder.

why is that?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I actually liked Dream Team more. I like the vacation setting and the music. Most people would say it was too long and had too many tutorials though. Its pretty challenging too for a Mario RPG even on its normal mode. Hard mode is unlocked after beating the game. You have to pay attention especially in boss battles.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

One of the big problems Dream Team had was too many tutorials. But even if you looked past that, the other big problem the game had was that it had too much bloat. Everything took too long, especially battles. And the game was kind of filled with padding. The areas were bigger than they needed to be, and had like only 2 enemy types each.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Dr. Fetus posted:

One of the big problems Dream Team had was too many tutorials. But even if you looked past that, the other big problem the game had was that it had too much bloat. Everything took too long, especially battles. And the game was kind of filled with padding. The areas were bigger than they needed to be, and had like only 2 enemy types each.

Yeah, basic enemy fights in Dream Team were longer and more complex than BiS' endgame battles, and there were so bloody many of them. It created this weird divide where the overworld had an almost insulting level of hand-holding, then you'd enter a fight screen and the game would Hulk out and snap you in two.

Also there's very little plot movement to speak of - you're mostly just getting one MacGuffin after another while the bad guys do interesting, important things miles away, and without Bowser's bubbly personality to carry you through - there's too much dialogue and character gimmicks wear thin, the locales drag on overlong, the gyroscope battles are awful, the list goes on and on. It has strong points, but they're smothered by all the trudging monotony of everything else.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

Yeah, basic enemy fights in Dream Team were longer and more complex than BiS' endgame battles, and there were so bloody many of them. It created this weird divide where the overworld had an almost insulting level of hand-holding, then you'd enter a fight screen and the game would Hulk out and snap you in two.

Also there's very little plot movement to speak of - you're mostly just getting one MacGuffin after another while the bad guys do interesting, important things miles away, and without Bowser's bubbly personality to carry you through - there's too much dialogue and character gimmicks wear thin, the locales drag on overlong, the gyroscope battles are awful, the list goes on and on. It has strong points, but they're smothered by all the trudging monotony of everything else.

so i will skip it and just pick up the new one if its good.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Dream Team bosses have those ridiculous chase cutscene attacks where something comes at you from the background, and you COULD dodge the attacks and poo poo, but it just keeps happening and happening and after a while you just take the hit to end the loving half-hour boss fight midgame. Inside Story and Partners in Time are both guilty of wasting your time, but they just really amped it up. I put like 25 hours into Dream Team and barely got a little over halfway. I gave up on it.

Mario & Luigi 1 and Bowser's Inside Story are absolute must-plays

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Hello thread, this game is good and I liked it a bunch. It still suffers from a bit of Dream Team's bloat but it's a lot better and closer to Inside Story's quality. Though I didn't really dislike Dream Time anyway.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Honestly I'm a little disappointed with how generic and homogenized it looks, it looks like Dream Team Meets Sticker Star more than Mario & Luigi Meets Paper Mario, but some of the writing I've seen in videos is good and it looks like it plays a little better than Dream Team did

I'm not gonna buy it at launch but I hope I hear good things

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I think liked Dream Team more then Inside Story, though the giant Luigi battles ran long and got real obnoxious when they wanted you to use tilt controls. The setting was neat and I found Dreambert to be one of the better companion fairies in the series.

It also had beef stew.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I'll be honest, I never played Dream Team so that's why the Dream Team write up miiiiiight be weird, but after Sticker Star, I'll take anything I can get out of Mario RPGs that isn't Sticker Star so I'm hopeful for Paper Jam! It feels like Nintendo is in a weird place where they're not sure what to do with the Paper Mario concepts anymore. Like I get they just don't want repeat Thousand Year Door again and are trying new stuff with Super Paper and Sticker Man, but man....I'd be fine with just another Thousand Year Door honestly.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

I'm a ridiculously huge fan of this series so imagine my surprise when I found this on the e-shop last night and immediately bought and downloaded it! Can't believe I missed it for so long.

Superstar Saga and TTYD are 2 of my all-time fave games so this looked like the perfect game for me. I'm enjoying the battle system so far and find it fairly challenging even with the added enemy targeting support system.

Reading some previous posts, I guess most people will be glad to know that they've moved tutorials into a datalog type system now so you can read them whenever you want (or never if you've played any of the previous games). They also added a fast forward button for most cutscenes. I don't think this was in Dream Team? I never played it that much.

Is there a simple guide to the battle cards system anywhere I could look up? The game didn't really explain it very well. Is it a feature only for new 3ds owners?

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

The tutorials aren't really in your face since the only required tutorial is at the beginning and then all others are optional with you being able to practice almost all commands whenever you want.

The game feels sorta empty though? I can't quite put my finger on it but I never really want to explore every nook and cranny for extra pickups since most of the time it's just coins or healing items.

Battles are super fun. Literally by the time one attack type gets boring they introduce a new one for you to try so it doesn't feel stale.

Too many minigames though, like they'll literally require you to do minigames constantly to progress.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Golden Goat posted:

Too many minigames though, like they'll literally require you to do minigames constantly to progress.

Definitely this. So far it feels like there's a minigame in every new screen.

One thing I absolutely loved was the music that plays in battles before Paper Mario shows up. :allears:
Then he shows up and it disappears. :argh:

Music in general is top-notch.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

The music is fantastic, especially the boss battle music.

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

One thing I absolutely loved was the music that plays in battles before Paper Mario shows up. :allears:
It took me a bit to realize what that music was when it happened. That was cute.

Also took me a bit to realize what the music reminds me off until I noticed it's the same composer who did Kingdom Hearts and Radiant Historia.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Golden Goat posted:

The music is fantastic, especially the boss battle music.

It took me a bit to realize what that music was when it happened. That was cute.

Also took me a bit to realize what the music reminds me off until I noticed it's the same composer who did Kingdom Hearts and Radiant Historia.
Yeah, Yoko Shimomura has done that along with Super Mario RPG and every Mario & Luigi game. She is a very powerful being.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I just did a replay of TTYD and focused on doing the Danger Mario strategy. I got to the point where I could buy Power Rush badges from the Pianta Parlor and now I can do like 17 damage in a single jump and I have no reason to complete the game anymore. Anyway ttyd is one of the best games ever made.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

mabels big day posted:

Anyway ttyd is one of the best games ever made.
extremely true, I haven't replayed TTYD in a couple years, but my memories of that game are still extremely positive.

Also I've never been brave enough to run Danger Mario, that's some real poo poo.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Bumping this thread since North American reviews for Paper Jam are out!

I'll probably update the OP with more later, but for now Here's GameInformer's review of Paper Jam, giving it an 8.75/10 and IGN's review, giving it a 5.9/10.

Here's the Metacritic page

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Any time I'm in a fight this game is super fun, and any time I'm not I wish I were playing something else. Starlow just isn't that fun most of the time and there don't seem to be important, reoccurring NPCs (like Prince Peasley) other than the Mario staples to mix things up. Also basically all the Paper Toad games suck and I hate them. The combat is really good though and I'm glad the Koopa Kids are present.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Moltrey posted:

Bumping this thread since North American reviews for Paper Jam are out!

I'll probably update the OP with more later, but for now Here's GameInformer's review of Paper Jam, giving it an 8.75/10 and IGN's review, giving it a 5.9/10.

Here's the Metacritic page

Ouch. IGN's review is significantly more harsh than their reviews of Sticker Star or Dream Team.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Ouch. IGN's review is significantly more harsh than their reviews of Sticker Star or Dream Team.

Is it the same reviewer?

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

I saw some gameplay videos of this and battles still look really slow. All attacks seem to have FF7-level cinematics, and it makes things drag on forever.

Is this worth getting if I hated Dream Team? The last one I enjoyed playing was Inside Story, but even that got long in the tooth from time to time.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Mr. Fortitude posted:

After reading it it's pretty funny that IGN's review and mine are basically exactly the same. I dunno if IGN actually uses the 10-point scale to its fullest now but "mediocre" is definitely the word I'd use to sum up Paper Jam.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Is it the same reviewer?

Nah, different reviewers every time. I just find it weird that it got a lower score than Sticker Star of all games.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Nah, different reviewers every time. I just find it weird that it got a lower score than Sticker Star of all games.

wasnt sticker star really bad?

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

nerdbot posted:

Dream Team bosses have those ridiculous chase cutscene attacks where something comes at you from the background, and you COULD dodge the attacks and poo poo, but it just keeps happening and happening and after a while you just take the hit to end the loving half-hour boss fight midgame. Inside Story and Partners in Time are both guilty of wasting your time, but they just really amped it up. I put like 25 hours into Dream Team and barely got a little over halfway. I gave up on it.

Good news, Paper Jam has these as well in its boss fights, and they are terrible!

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Do bosses still take an eternity to bring down? It's been a problem in all the M&L games, but Dream Team took it too far.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Paper Jam is pretty much Dream Team 2, so yeah, bosses do take a while to die, I've had the game for a while (UK) and it's just so boring compared to the almighty Bowser's Inside Story, it's tragic.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Dapper_Swindler posted:

wasnt sticker star really bad?

Extremely, to the point that fighting battles that aren't bosses is a complete waste of time and resources since every action you can do in battle consumes stickers and if you have no stickers you can't do anything but run away. You also don't level up or gain any EXP from battles either and you only get coins and a small chance of getting stickers when you've probably used more just in the fight.

It's a really bad game. People give Super Paper Mario crap but at least that was a fun game that just so happened to play completely differently from the first two games but Sticker Star has the visuals, music and one or two jokes as the only redeeming factors of the game.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Sticker Star being terrible is probably why they gave the Mario & Luigi guys the Paper Mario franchise in hopes that giving it to people who know how to make an RPG might fix it.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

Sticker Star being terrible is probably why they gave the Mario & Luigi guys the Paper Mario franchise in hopes that giving it to people who know how to make an RPG might fix it.

I heard from various places online that most of Sticker Star's problems were pushed by Miyamoto who wanted it to be more casual and less of an RPG. Dunno how true that is though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

That doesn't really explain why Super Paper Mario was also not an RPG (and thus is way worse than its predecessors).

• Locked thread