Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Commute?
I drive in traffic every morning and fantasize about murdering every other driver around me
My car commute is actually pretty nice.
I take public transit. gently caress MY LIFE.
I'm unemployed lol.
View Results

• Locked thread
Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Yo this thread is for people like me who have to sit in hellish freeway traffic 8-10 times per week. Its almost like a third home after my apartment and office.

Everyone else but you is absolute scum. If you have out of state plates on your car I want you to literally DIE. NPR and sports radio is my poo poo. Also I chew alot of gum since I don't smoke anymore.

Stop-n-go traffic is infuriating. I like those rare times when everything just is consistently flowing at 15mph and I dont really have to use my brakes.

Fridays are always X1000000 worse than Mondays for some odd reason.

Post about driving your sad life to work and back in this thread. Thank you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfipAgNRDx0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
[city i live in] drivers are the worst qtiyd

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

having more than a thirty minute commute is a vampire that destroys lives

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

i'm unemployed lol

more specifically i'm a full-time student but w/e

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
my commute is usually about 3-4 minutes 😎😎

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

kazr posted:

having more than a thirty minute commute is a vampire that destroys lives

I'd rather suck off a shotgun, Cobain style, than have a commute that's more than 30 minutes each way.

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.
I have to travel 35 miles every day on the freeway. Thankfully, my shift is night, so I rarely hit traffic

But during the weeks of training, the 2 hours each way made me want ah for death.

The 1 hour drive still wishes for death, but eh.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Nuke the Bay Area to improve traffic

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Chinatown posted:

Fridays are always X1000000 worse than Mondays for some odd reason.
you're in socal right? I actually find Fridays are best here (Bay Area), especially going into SF, with the notable exception that on Friday the northbound traffic is a lot worse than usual and starts earlier like 3PM because there's a ton of assholes going up to Tahoe or whatever.

I actually find Tuesdays are the worst.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Xaris posted:

you're in socal right? I actually find Fridays are best here (Bay Area), especially going into SF, with the notable exception that on Friday the northbound traffic is a lot worse than usual and starts earlier like 3PM because there's a ton of assholes going up to Tahoe or whatever.

I actually find Tuesdays are the worst.

san diego so i blame tourist/mexican traffic going to/from LA.

gently caress los angeles forever

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Chinatown posted:

san diego so i blame tourist/mexican traffic going to/from LA.

gently caress los angeles forever

I like to get into the left lane of the 405 and go 50mph.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Can't make up my mind if LA or the Bay Area has worse traffic now.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
Austin, TX represent.

When I moved here, the Austin metro area population was about 800k, now its 2 million. And everyone is still stuck using I-35 and Mopac to get through town.

Dead Precedents
May 5, 2005

Precedents come and go, but death goes on forever.

etalian posted:

Can't make up my mind if LA or the Bay Area has worse traffic now.

Both suck, but LA has a lot of side roads you can take to pretend like you're getting somewhere faster.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

bobthedinosaur posted:

I'd rather suck off a shotgun, Cobain style, than have a commute that's more than 30 minutes each way.

i was commuting 1 hour each way during rush hour sometimes more on the way back later in the week and this crossed my mind a few times. thank god i live 15 minutes from work and don't have to look at a freeway unless i decide i hate myself that day

H.H
Oct 24, 2006

August is the Cruelest Month
20 minutes to work in the morning, 12 to get back in the afternoon.
I also drive back for a quick lunch, just cos I can.

sucks to be you, op.

basement jihadist
Oct 3, 2002

sometimes i pass a burning car and im just like.... holy poo poo... piss.

Jukeboxblues
Jul 29, 2015

Grimey Drawer
I used to have hour and a half drives to work but I moved and got a new job that is 15-20 mins away.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

basement jihadist posted:

ive done this yes

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

so hot in here

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

same but im usually like bad rear end

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
I get so engrossed in reading my book during my morning commute that I barely look out the window to see where I am. :public transit for life:

Good luck on wasting two hours out of your life each day to get to your lovely minimum wage job.

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.
25 min on train rocking out or audiobook surrounded by other attractive people. Public transportation is so much better. Rather have a 30 min train ride than 5 min drive.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Driving in my car is one of the few places where I don't get nagged by my coworkers, my SO, family, etc.

I know that when the car is parked I will have to either do chores, go in to work, or listen to my family blather on some subjects.

Driving is doing drugs. The more you do it, the worse it is when you stop.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
I live like 2 miles from my office and can make the drive completely on residential roads

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

It takes me about 20 minutes to walk to work.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
I'm doing an hour commute one way but I have the pleasure of using the toll road so I get the privilege of paying $15 a day to commute.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.
Don't you guys ever wonder why exactly your horrible car commute feels necessary? Hint: It's not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skm6hp99-5A

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh
25 minutes each way. It's relaxing until everyone is stupid then I become a big huffy baby.

Also driving manual in stop and go and getting rearended by dummies who train to look for brake lights so they can play on their phone more.

crotchgobbler
Jul 25, 2007

im an 07 lol
I drive 15 minutes to the train, take the train for 20 minutes, and walk 15 minutes to my job. It's nice mix that keeps things fresh. :)

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Rick Rickshaw posted:

Don't you guys ever wonder why exactly your horrible car commute feels necessary? Hint: It's not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skm6hp99-5A

im so glad this terrible poorly made video exists

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

nullEntityRNG posted:

I have to travel 35 miles every day on the freeway. Thankfully, my shift is night, so I rarely hit traffic

But during the weeks of training, the 2 hours each way made me want ah for death.

The 1 hour drive still wishes for death, but eh.
i had a 30 mile commute on a night shift for a bit and it was pretty awesome, but it was mostly fast country roads and you could blast along at 60 or 70 when in the daytime youd be lucky to average 40

no more soul destroying than a night shift anyway

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home
I drive an hour each way 4 days a week.

All that time on the road, you wouldn't believe the poo poo I've seen.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
I used to drive an hour plus for my commute (~70 miles) but then I moved and now I walk 20 minutes to work.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Had a recruiter trying to pitch me some jobs and I told him I didn't want a real commute and it would have to be something in my neighborhood. He sends me a job literally all the way across town that he had apparently done a Google Maps route at 2:30AM and said "look, it's only 15 minutes!"

No fuckface, it's an HOUR and 15 minutes twice a day.

I think the only thing that could get me back into a commute is a self-driving car. It's too frustrating dealing with Other People.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
I used to drive 3 hours a day for work. Now I drive 5 minutes. The only regret is I listen to less music.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I'm the guy driving 5 miles below the speed limit in the passing lane :downs:

Ope, time to merge, better slow down to 25mph

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Dead Precedents posted:

Both suck, but LA has a lot of side roads you can take to pretend like you're getting somewhere faster.

that movie is good

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy
I have to avoid my local 3-lane highway because it sucks and everyone there is a oval office during peak commute hours.

I go to work early enough that I miss the 3-cycle stoplight backups, but the street I take can get miserable at the wrong time. I actually take more time and go out of my way home just to avoid having a ton of people in front of me, because I'd rather listen to my podcast without worrying about stop-and-go backups.

However, being pissed off about wrong behaviors that people execute has motivated me to get into traffic modeling and simulation, though it's hard to find research about it without the right keywords.

I think it'll take a while for self-driving cars to catch on, because they obey the law and piss all human drivers off. If all cars were self-driving we'd all get to our destinations at rush hour faster though because there wouldn't be any assholes at the back of a line who merge out and then back in further ahead of the line because of some oval office who lets him in and basically freezes the line in place with a cycle of people just doing that.

Stinky_Pete fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jan 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Noctone posted:

[city i live in] drivers are the worst qtiyd

Local drivers here are fine. It's the tourists that gently caress things up.

• Locked thread