Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.
I'm a big fan and really like his later stuff (except Reality) but I haven't heard Blackstar yet am I in for a fond farewell or it is pretty bad and I should lower my expectations? I can't tell from this thread and music journalism is garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

HerzogZwo posted:

^ can someone please explain that joke to me? Is there some consensus among rubes that Bowie has a lovely voice or something?

I think I recognize the style from the bad political cartoons thread so he's probably some kind of right-wing rear end in a top hat that hates Bowie for being "queer."

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

You Are A Elf posted:

Young Americans had both Luther Vandross and John Lennon as backup singers, and now they're dead.

Under Pressure was a duet with Freddie Mercury, and now he's dead.

Let's Dance had Stevie Ray Vaughan on guitar, and now he's dead.

Now Bowie's dead. COINCIDENCE?!? probably.

Powerfully unfunny.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

To be fair if you're really into vocals it's a little hard to get into Bowie at first because most of his stuff they play on the radio is from before he figured out he had a diaphragm. One of my dream Bowie projects (that I have to give up on...) is studio re-recordings of a lot of his early stuff with his post-2000 voice. If he'd spent the next year just re-recording Man Who Sold the World/Hunky Dory/Ziggy I would've been over the moon.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

TheJoker138 posted:

I still think Life On Mars? is maybe as close to a perfect song as has ever been written.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAo7YeRkJYo

See this is something cool about Bowie-- I wouldn't put it in my top 50 Bowie songs and wouldn't miss it if I never heard it again. Like "Saviour Machine" seems like a much better song to me. But it doesn't matter what kind of music tickles you, he's written an incredible song in that style that you'll love.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Update for one week later: this still sucks and a got just the tiniest bit choked up at "strangers when we meet" on my iPod at work today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Zeroisanumber posted:

The Eagles were garbage.

They did the theme song to the hitchhikers guide tv show and that ruled so they kind of did one cool thing once, via the magic of licensing.

• Locked thread