Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Fasdar posted:

Gardening TIP: Live in the US? Now's a great time to start sweet potatoes inside. Just grab some organic ones (due to their lower levels of root inhibitor spray stuff) and stick a few toothpicks in it just like you would a regular potato. Soon, vines will sprout, which can be snapped off come summertime and transplanted into some nice loamy garden soil. Allow for full sun and a good amount of space when planning.

Going the cheap route? Get a few red peppers from the store and save the seeds. Start them in February indoors, and keep them somewhere warm with as much light as possible. By July you'll be marveling at the horror of industrial ag, right in your own back yard. This also goes for pumpkins, squash, and tomatoes, although store bought tomatoes often have a high proportion of non-viable seeds.

I got ouside area tl grow and i like sweet potato. Converting to southern hemisphere i think itd be june 6mo from now.

Do they grow the same way as potato? Or os it more like carrot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!

Isaac posted:

I got ouside area tl grow and i like sweet potato. Converting to southern hemisphere i think itd be june 6mo from now.

Do they grow the same way as potato? Or os it more like carrot?

Like potatoes, by root duplication. On the surface they send out long vines. The difference is that you start them from shoots, called slips, instead of root chunks. They also like a little more neutral soil and generally warmer temps.

Edit: This one is better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ow3C5UbxnFs

Fasdar fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Jan 11, 2016

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Fasdar posted:

Like potatoes, by root duplication. On the surface they send out long vines. The difference is that you start them from shoots, called slips, instead of root chunks. They also like a little more neutral soil and generally warmer temps.

Edit: This one is better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ow3C5UbxnFs

Thats cool im gonna do this.

My mum semi ironically is a prepper i bet shed love lds prepper youtubes

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
^^ the quoted vid is not the one im talkkng about and im gonna watch this new one now

several friends
Apr 7, 2015

P

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

Isaac posted:

They are a whole lot smarter than a cow or.a sheep. They're more like a pig

with intelligence comes malice, goats are evil fuckers

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Lucky Guy posted:

with intelligence comes malice, goats are evil fuckers

We butt heads a lot

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
Do you have any runner ducks? They look like bowling pins

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
if youre gonna grow your own shits dont use supermarket-sourced seeds or w/e unless youre on a budget of nil, order some heirloom seeds from a reputable non-prepper source. supermarket fruit n veg are varietals selected primarily for durability and longevity after being picked, not for "flavour" or other cool things you might prefer to prioritize as a home gardener

wait for new potato season and get some obscure new potatoes to grow ur own and be amazed at how tasty plain ol taters can be

Jukeboxblues
Jul 29, 2015

Grimey Drawer
I am currently looking after my sisters chickens. I found that I hate them when they are in groups but alone they are p cool. I also think she has too many roosters but idk what I'm talking about. I think the roosters are non stop pestering the hens.

Jukeboxblues
Jul 29, 2015

Grimey Drawer
I also used to have a pet goat but he died a few years ago. :(

stinky ox
Mar 29, 2007
I am a stinky ox.

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009
there are a LOT of turkey vultures around here. It feels like every time I walk out the door there's a group of them on my lawn, staring right at me. So I shout at them 'GO HOME!' but they're un-moving and stoic like erm like a big rear end rock.

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

This thread is going to go good places.

Australian rural life is cool and fun and usually done on the cheap.

Gonna trawl through the files and find cool pics.

Mostly birds, roos and postie bike racing.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

every time i drive in the country i end up disturbing a vulture's roadkill meal. it's the scavenger equivalent of trying to pass someone on the sidewalk.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
I wish there were vultures in aus. If the council dosent come up here for a few weeks theres so many dead kangaroos and wombats its like driving through rotting fly pestilence world

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Hell yeah

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Jukeboxblues posted:

I am currently looking after my sisters chickens. I found that I hate them when they are in groups but alone they are p cool. I also think she has too many roosters but idk what I'm talking about. I think the roosters are non stop pestering the hens.

Should try and only have one rooster or none i reckon. Theyre noisy and make baby chickens appear in your breakfast eggs.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
My rabbit dug out of his cage yesterday when i was out. The one day ever where all the dogs were working elsewhere so he didnt get eaten.

Now the lil guy is mad on playing in the outdoors but he doaent know how dangerous it is for lil rabbits

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

New cow crew

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

My first ever tomato

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
You never answered my question about alpaca dog relations.

I hear they kill dogs :ohdear:

Microwaves Mom fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jan 12, 2016

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I just bought one of these.
Everyone should read MM&O

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

tardwrangler posted:

I just bought one of these.
Everyone should read MM&O

Looks familiar what is it

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
why are you ignoring my Alpacca dog questions Isaac?

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Microwaves Mom posted:

You never answered my question about alpaca dog relations.

I hear they kill dogs :ohdear:

I thought i did.

An alpaca could kill a small dog or a fox but animals rarely fight to the death. The alpaca will just act scary and thatll be enough to make the dog or fox run away.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Isaac posted:

I thought i did.

An alpaca could kill a small dog or a fox but animals rarely fight to the death. The alpaca will just act scary and thatll be enough to make the dog or fox run away.

Ah okay. That's good I don't want it killing dogs. Dogs are our friends. I want dogs to be alpaca friends too.

Whats your alpaca's name?

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Microwaves Mom posted:

Ah okay. That's good I don't want it killing dogs. Dogs are our friends. I want dogs to be alpaca friends too.

Whats your alpaca's name?

Its called ziggy now

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
I went to an animal encounter thing at a county fair. Got headbutted in the nuts by a ram.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I've seen llamas used as shepherds for sheep here in the Pacific Northwest. Apparently they're really good at it, particularly females and gelded males.

Wikipedia posted:

Research suggests the use of multiple guard llamas is not as effective as one. Multiple males tend to bond with one another, rather than with the livestock, and may ignore the flock. A gelded male of two years of age bonds closely with its new charges and is instinctively very effective in preventing predation. Some llamas appear to bond more quickly to sheep or goats if they are introduced just prior to lambing. Many sheep and goat producers indicate a special bond quickly develops between lambs and their guard llama and the llama is particularly protective of the lambs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guard_llama

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Champenema posted:

I went to an animal encounter thing at a county fair. Got headbutted in the nuts by a ram.

Theyll do that

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I've seen llamas used as shepherds for sheep here in the Pacific Northwest. Apparently they're really good at it, particularly females and gelded males.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guard_llama

We use alpacas and llamas. The llamas bred out of control now so they hang out in their own flock being useless

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
Apparently my date knew that. Gave me her handful of grain and let me get swarmed

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Isaac posted:

Its called ziggy now

Can we get some ziggy time later today possibly? I'dl ove to see some closeups of him/her

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

Isaac posted:

Looks familiar what is it

Megg, Mogg and Owl an Australian comic.

I buy his stuff because he makes a living being very funny and poignant.
There's a tumblr called Girl Mountain

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Microwaves Mom posted:

Can we get some ziggy time later today possibly? I'dl ove to see some closeups of him/her

I got a bit of poo poo to do today see how i go

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

Now in Polish

Illustration = plot of MM&O

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

:wtc:

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

tardwrangler posted:

Now in Polish

Illustration = plot of MM&O

I think i lived in that house

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

Isaac posted:

I think i lived in that house

We all did.

It's someones turn to put on a brew and someone else's to mull up.

• Locked thread