Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

Jesus Christ posted:

I had sea urchin once at some 11-course dinner at Uchiko and it was weird. It wasn't bad, it wasn't good, nobody else could finish their serving so I ate about half a pound of it 'cause I figured "when the hell else am I ever going to eat urchin again?" but man... I'd never pay for it. It basically tastes like if you walk into the ocean, reach down and grab handful of sand, and shove it in your mouth. It's about the same texture too.

same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.
For something on the bizarre side, have a dead bee that I found today, impaled right between the compound eyes on an ocotillo spine.

I'll be sure to get pictures in better lighting tomorrow if it's still there by then.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

naem posted:

Moon potato may I have permission to use your photos as drawing references thank you
Sure, go for it. I'm fine with any of my photos being used for artistic references.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

No wonder the owl didn't care about you. If he really was an elk he coulda hosed you up at any time.

naem
May 29, 2011

Moon Potato posted:

Sure, go for it. I'm fine with any of my photos being used for artistic references.

Thank you here is a sample

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
imagine asking permission to draw a picture of a photo lmao

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Doctor Bishop posted:

For something on the bizarre side, have a dead bee that I found today, impaled right between the compound eyes on an ocotillo spine.

I'll be sure to get pictures in better lighting tomorrow if it's still there by then.

That sounds like a shrike's work, so it shouldn't be there for long, but on the bright side there's probably lots of creepy impaled lizards and mice around too.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Shrikes are now the most :black101: birds I know about.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

my cat is norris posted:

Secretary birds are pretty up there too. They kill their prey by stomping on it until it dies. Sometimes the prey doesn't die and instead is just stunned or unconscious when swallowed.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
They look really cool too.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

my cat is norris posted:

They're pretty great. I didn't find out until after the fact, but one was spotted in the field where I've been going to photograph Short-eared Owls. Hopefully it'll stick around. At least the owls came out.

seo-dive by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

As a White-tailed Kite was taking off following an unsuccessful dive, a Northern Harrier tried to sneak in and steal a meal. Since the kite's talons were empty, it was able to recover and chase off the harrier pretty quickly.

sunset-raptor-war2 by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

American Kestrel with a mouse:

kestrel-mouse2 by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

A collection of things dropped below the posts where the Short-eared Owls like to perch. The skull in the old, bare pellet on the left is from a vole and the one on the right is from a skunk (probably the prey of a Great Horned Owl).

pellets by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

One of my neighborhood Anna's Hummingbirds getting photobombed by a bee:

hummingbird-bee by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Those skulls are amazing. Is that skunk skull poop/vomit? Did he eat a skunk head??

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Again, masterful pictures. You make me want to go out and take pictures, then all I see are squirrels and chipmunks and feral cats.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Rolo posted:

Those skulls are amazing. Is that skunk skull poop/vomit? Did he eat a skunk head??
I think the Great Horned Owls just tear the flesh off of skunks and drop the bones. A skunk's head looks awfully big for a bird of that size to swallow and there were still a few inches of vertebrae trailing from the skull, which makes me think it it hadn't been through the digestive tract.

GreyPowerVan posted:

Again, masterful pictures. You make me want to go out and take pictures, then all I see are squirrels and chipmunks and feral cats.
Thanks. Squirrels, chipmunks and cats can make nice pictures, too. Most animals will do something interesting if you watch them for a while.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Caught a fuzzbutt of some variety in one of my crocuses.

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

...huh. I just noticed that the great grey owl's body and coloration look almost exactly like a log, complete with a face that resembles a tree stump. I mean, REALLY resembles a tree stump - the better to pose as part of a tree, I have to assume. Evolution is loving nuts.

e:

Doctor Bishop posted:

Drinking and driving ain't got poo poo on drinking and flying.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Didn't get any terribly exciting shots in Banff this weekend, but here are some critters I quested:

Whiskeyjack begging for food.

I believe this is an American three-toed woodpecker.

Just a squirrel.

I spotted a fisher down the trail but after zooming in and focusing my DSLR I sadly found it to be out of batteries, so here are some fisher footprints.

Not pictured: swarms of caribou.

And here are some more local critters:

It's much louder when they peck poles.

I had to wait for this spiky ghost to get out of the way on a morning run.

Someone's making itself at home.

Lots of murders around lately.

Chinston Wurchill fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Feb 19, 2016

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

That whiskeyjack is the cutest thing ever, it looks like a loving cartoon :3:

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Thesaurasaurus posted:

...huh. I just noticed that the great grey owl's body and coloration look almost exactly like a log, complete with a face that resembles a tree stump. I mean, REALLY resembles a tree stump - the better to pose as part of a tree, I have to assume. Evolution is loving nuts.
That's exactly it. Their defensive posture is an imitation of dead wood on a tree. They make themselves skinny and scrunch their face up a bit to look like a broken off branch. The ravens around Prairie Creek would harass the owl from time to time, so I had a couple chances to photograph and film this in action.

ggo-log-pose by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

I tried visiting a few Burrowing Owl hotspots while I was traveling through the Bay Area, but struck out every time. Luckily, there were plenty of other critters around.
Burrowing Owls often share habitats with California ground squirrels, which were all over the place.

groundsquirrel-sitting by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

The mudflats around Shoreline Park are the best place I've found to watch American Avocets:

avocet-probing by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

Black Oystercatcher at the Berkeley Marina:

oystercatcher-mussel by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

Western fence lizard:

western-fence-lizard by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

Tree Swallows fighting over nest boxes in Coyote Hills Regional Park:

swallow-scuffle by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

A Cinnamon Teal in Coyote Hills Regional Park:

cinnamon-teal-swimming by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

We also had a very rare Snowy Owl visitor along Humboldt Bay's south spit. It didn't seem like it was really clued in to prey activity cycles there, and didn't attempt to catch anything during the several hours I was watching it. Probably because of that, it left after a couple days.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wxj0IxOhk3w

Moon Potato fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Feb 25, 2016

Blue Wher
Apr 27, 2010

The Smart Baseball Dargon Sez:

"Baseball is chaos!"

His bat is signed by Carl "Yaz" Yastrzemski
I'm a volunteer docent at the local zoo, which is actually a pretty good zoo. Maybe next time I go I'll get some pictures of things if you guys want them. Some personal favorites include the golden lion tamarin, the sloth bear, the spot-necked river otter, the rhinoceros hornbill, and the capybara. There's a lot more than that though.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

This thread is traditionally for animals found in their natural habitats/in the wild, but I never mind seeing the interesting zoo photos that show up from time to time! If you've got unique access or a unique perspective, by all means, show us what you can.

That snowy owl is beautiful.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
heres a red iguana I saw in cozumel like 2 years ago (apparently he's always there just basking)

i have some good shots of a hawksbill turtle on the surface of the ocean and a flying fish mid air (they're quick as hell) from roatan but I can't seem to find them atm

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
I couldn't get a picture because it all happened so quickly, but I watched (I think) a sharp-shinned hawk chasing a Western scrub jay around my back yard yesterday. The hawk got spooked by something (possibly me) and abandoned his target, and the jay was just screaming bloody murder for a few minutes before flying off, apparently not too badly hurt. The hawk was barely bigger than a crow, so it was likely a sharp-shinned or a Cooper's, correct? The color was all wrong for a Merlin, and way too big to be a kestrel.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Took a surprise trip to Florida and the wildlife is pretty wild here. Fish crows everywhere, mockingbirds so common there's nothing in the north like them, and Februrary warblers, it's all pretty great. Went to Pelican Island Wildlife Refuge and didn't get many pictures, but a couple things stood still for me:

One of these antlions picked a good spot to settle down!

Fiddler crab that seemed dead in the trail until I picked it up, but it slowly livened up and eventually scurried away.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Yeah mockingbirds are little bastards. They get super territorial and aggressive when they're nesting, they'll divebomb cats and dogs that get too close, even people. I've heard of people parking their car on the street instead of in their driveway because they'll get attacked every time they get in or out otherwise.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

stubblyhead posted:

Yeah mockingbirds are little bastards. They get super territorial and aggressive when they're nesting, they'll divebomb cats and dogs that get too close, even people. I've heard of people parking their car on the street instead of in their driveway because they'll get attacked every time they get in or out otherwise.

Never had a mockingbird do this. loving Bluejays though.

VVVOh christ the night signing. Yes. They set up right outside my bedroom and just loving blast noise for hours.

VendaGoat fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Mar 4, 2016

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

I mean the mockingbirds we have in the north are exactly like the ones down here, it's just that there's one on every utility pole instead of one every mile. Tons more catbirds, too. Doesn't stop 'em from being mega-territorial dicks that sing at 2 AM.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

VendaGoat posted:

Never had a mockingbird do this. loving Bluejays though.

Heh yeah, my parents' back yard is like the local cat sanctuary, and years ago there was this white cat who was deaf as a post and liked to hang around the yard. It was snoozing under the bird feeder, and this bluejay just was not having it. He kept flying back and forth between two trees, swooping down at the cat trying to drive it off, but never really made contact--just making a big ruckus and being a general nuisance. Cat slept right through it, didn't even twitch. The scrub jays out here will chase each other around and other things smaller than themselves, but the crows are the really protective ones. They'll leave people and most birds alone, but any time I hear them going loving apeshit outside I know there's a hawk scoping the neighborhood from one of the taller trees nearby.

EmDuck
Feb 16, 2013
This thread clearly needs images of bugs doing their thing :

Dung beetles gonna dung :

'tis the season for Pine Processionary nests :

And...A badly angled picture of a ladybug :

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

stubblyhead posted:

I couldn't get a picture because it all happened so quickly, but I watched (I think) a sharp-shinned hawk chasing a Western scrub jay around my back yard yesterday. The hawk got spooked by something (possibly me) and abandoned his target, and the jay was just screaming bloody murder for a few minutes before flying off, apparently not too badly hurt. The hawk was barely bigger than a crow, so it was likely a sharp-shinned or a Cooper's, correct? The color was all wrong for a Merlin, and way too big to be a kestrel.
It's hard to make a positive ID without a picture, but a Cooper's Hawk, Sharp-shinned Hawk and Red-shouldered Hawk all sound like a good fit for your back yard bird-hunter.

A curious Ruby-crowned Kinglet:

kinglet by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

Sandhill Cranes are starting to arrive in southern Oregon for the breeding season.

sandhill-cranes by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

All the wildlife refuges in the upper Klamath basin are packed with geese now. Snow Geese, Ross's Geese and Greater White-fronted Geese were everywhere.

snow-geese by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

Bald Eagles are there to hunt the geese and ducks.

eagle-chase by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

The Anna's Hummingbirds are going nuts now that plants are starting to flower.

annas-feeding by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Moon Potato posted:

It's hard to make a positive ID without a picture, but a Cooper's Hawk, Sharp-shinned Hawk and Red-shouldered Hawk all sound like a good fit for your back yard bird-hunter.

No Red-shouldered Hawks in Oregon, and this dude was way smaller anyway. We do have red tailed hawks though, and I've seen them scoping the neighborhood many times. Could it have been a yearling red tailed, or do they grow fast enough that it would be full sized already from the last breeding season?

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

stubblyhead posted:

No Red-shouldered Hawks in Oregon, and this dude was way smaller anyway. We do have red tailed hawks though, and I've seen them scoping the neighborhood many times. Could it have been a yearling red tailed, or do they grow fast enough that it would be full sized already from the last breeding season?
Crazy. I live about an hour south of the Oregon border, and we have more Red-shouldered Hawks than you can shake a stick at around Humboldt Bay... but I just looked up a range map, and you're right. I guess once you pass the Humboldt County lagoons and the Redwood Creek delta, they don't really have any wetlands and fields to hunt in for the next 50 miles.

Since you're in Oregon, the Northern Goshawk is another candidate for your back yard raptor. It's in the same family as the Cooper's Hawk and Sharp-shinned Hawk, but the coloration is different.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I went out to Middle Creek here in PA to see some migratory waterfowl! There were many opportunities for some fantastic photos of snow geese, tundra swans, and a metric gently caress load of Canada geese. Buffleheads and coots also made an appearance! I could have come back to you with some stellar shots.

Unfortunately, I am not a photographer, so you're left with this poo poo. Might post a couple more later.

Mom was like, "Wow, glad we didn't plow through the undergrowth in the summer!"

And I was all like, "Yeah! Imagine all the ticks! It's way too cold for them today!"

5 minutes later, in the car...:suicide:

It was moving INCREDIBLY slowly. Obviously an early riser.

We did end up seeing thousands of snow geese yesterday, and about as many Canada geese. Everything else was in the dozens or fewer. All the swans too far away to photo, unfortunately.

my cat is norris fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Mar 13, 2016

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

i have a murder mystery for you guys

possible meteor strike?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Raptor of some kind chowing down. They'll often pull the feathers off their prey before eating, and that's pretty much what the aftermath looks like. I watched one do that to a starling a few years ago. Not so much as a drop of blood, even with there being snow on the ground.

e: Box elder bug of some kind, I think? I've seen a few this spring, and don't recall seeing any around here before.

stubblyhead fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Mar 17, 2016

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Illegally feeding some royal camels

Son captures rare red throated screamer lizard

Free range pea chick

Garage security spider (on break)

Found while exploring in nearby cave

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

The spring migration is in full swing and we have Cinnamon Teals at Arcata Marsh again. Most of them are pretty skittish, but a couple of them like to feed in the channels that run right alongside a trail.

cinnamon-sunset by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

A new group of Snowy Egrets has started fishing in the brackish pond.

se-snap by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

The Northern Shoveler has the largest bill of any duck in North America. It's equipped with comb-like filters on the side to help filter out food from the water.

shoveler-bill by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

An American Kestrel has started hunting in the field near my freeway exit. It's been catching crickets, baby garter snakes and lizards.

kestrel-cricket by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

Grebe floof.

pied-billed-floof by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I can't stop swooning over that cinnamon teal. What a loving beautiful bird. The lighting surely helps!

That's a great photo of a deer, Dread. :kimchi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mrs.Nameko
Dec 16, 2015

Mushrooms are the internet of the forest!
Here's a dump of some of my city's locals!

Squirrels

Bunny

Fat Red winged black bird

He really want the french fry that was under the bench

• Locked thread