Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

I love the framing on this shot.

my cat is norris posted:

I can't stop swooning over that cinnamon teal. What a loving beautiful bird. The lighting surely helps!
They always look amazing during the last hour of daylight. IMO, they're up there with Wood Ducks and Mandarin Ducks in terms of fantastic plumage.

Since nesting season is approaching, the males are getting rowdy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ho2YLlxdLU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Abyssal Squid posted:

Took a surprise trip to Florida and the wildlife is pretty wild here. Fish crows everywhere, mockingbirds so common there's nothing in the north like them, and Februrary warblers, it's all pretty great. Went to Pelican Island Wildlife Refuge and didn't get many pictures, but a couple things stood still for me:

One of these antlions picked a good spot to settle down!

Spawn camper! :mad:

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Moon Potato posted:

Since nesting season is approaching, the males are getting rowdy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ho2YLlxdLU

Do the females look like mallards, or is that just a mallard in the background?

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

stubblyhead posted:

Do the females look like mallards, or is that just a mallard in the background?
That's a female Cinnamon Teal in the back. A lot of female ducks look very similar and are distinguished by some fairly subtle differences in plumage and morphology. Mallards are noticeably larger, have a distinct stripe across the eye, have a patch of purple on each wing (these teals have green instead), and have longer necks.

A Mallard for comparison:

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Derobrachus geminatus, AKA the Palo Verde Borer beetle. These huge stupid assholes fly everywhere and get all over in Summer here in Phoenix. They're like, 4 inches long. Those mandibles are about a quarter inch and for chewing wood. I do not gently caress with them.

A Solifugid of some sort. When I was living out in the sticks a bit more these were everywhere. This one was about 3 inches counting legs, 2 inches just the body.

I also see mule deer all the time when I hike.
Contrary to what you'd think, you really don't run in to too awful many scorpions or snakes unless you build a house right on a mountain or some poo poo.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Snowy Egret:

snowy-strike5 by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

Great Egrets are getting their breeding plumage now.

ge-plumes2 by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

Missed!

egret-missed by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

Western Grebe with a smelt:

grebe-smelt2 by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

When they scratch their heads you can see their crazy lobed toes.

grebe-scratch by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

I'm glad someone got this thread going again.

Have some owl pictures from this weekend

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

"I watch you poop."

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Lovely shots, Junky!

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
owl have some of that

Mrs.Nameko
Dec 16, 2015

Mushrooms are the internet of the forest!
I met this little fella after a fireworks show last July! A face of :frog:

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Moon Potato posted:

Since you're in Oregon, the Northern Goshawk is another candidate for your back yard raptor. It's in the same family as the Cooper's Hawk and Sharp-shinned Hawk, but the coloration is different.

I was walking my dogs yesterday and spotted a hawk up in a tree that looked quite similar, though I don't know that it was the same bird of course. it did squawk at us as we passed, though, and it sounded exactly like one of the clips the Cornell bird lab has for Cooper's hawk. I've heard that same call a lot of times, so it seems the most likely candidate. Now to figure out who the much larger hawk is that likes to hang around and piss off the local crow community.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

stubblyhead posted:

Now to figure out who the much larger hawk is that likes to hang around and piss off the local crow community.
Red-tailed Hawk is very likely. Rough-legged Hawks are also in your area during the winter, but aren't nearly as common.

My neighborhood White-tailed Kite was out hunting while I was driving home yesterday.

One of the kites at Arcata Marsh was eating a vole while I was walking past its perch. After a few minutes of tearing off bits of fur and eating some strips of flesh, they swallow the rest in one go.

The Snowy Egrets that showed up in Arcata Marsh's brackish pond a few weeks ago have learned to stop being afraid of people because a lot of the good fishing spots are right below the trails. This one was marching back and forth right in front of me while grabbing fish.

I went to the mouth of the Mad River to see if the seals had pups yet. They didn't.

Some Caspian Terns were fishing there until a group of dogs that escaped from someone's yard jumped into the river and scared everything away.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Chickadee-watching at my parents' place is always a good time.

Optimal vantage point.

And oh, hey, a moose!

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Camera is long since dead, so no photos. Regardless, we've got carpenter bees starting a nest by the front door of the condo. Besides the fact that they are as docile as bumblebees, and the territorial males can't sting or bite, anything we should be concerned about?

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Kilo147 posted:

Camera is long since dead, so no photos. Regardless, we've got carpenter bees starting a nest by the front door of the condo. Besides the fact that they are as docile as bumblebees, and the territorial males can't sting or bite, anything we should be concerned about?

Damage to your buildings. If you plan on selling, it could very well be a negative point that needs to be resolved before a sale.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
:rock: ANT WAR!! :black101:

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

VendaGoat posted:

Damage to your buildings. If you plan on selling, it could very well be a negative point that needs to be resolved before a sale.

Do they actually do that much damage?

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Common brush tail possum

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

Is there anything underneath besides the metallic blood of death's army? :black101:

Finally saw a (not flattened) Alligator Lizard in Oregon today with a surprisingly long tail chillin in our unseasonable sun. I think it's a Southern given the light eyes and clear stripes?

:frog:

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Nope, just happens every year in a few places in my yard. Big battle royal between neighboring hives or whatever to decide who's in charge of that particular spot. I missed one in the back yard a few days ago too--nothing left but a shitload of ant carcasses and a few of the victors carrying of the dead to feed their ever-ravenous brood.

e: also I had no idea we had lizards around here, I don't think I've seen a lizard in the wild since I lived in Florida. Any tips on spotting one?

stubblyhead fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Apr 4, 2016

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Kilo147 posted:

Do they actually do that much damage?

They make holes in fascia, which depending on your buyer, is how big of a deal it is.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Nice closeup. What a tail on that thing!

Wood Ducks have returned to Sequoia Park. I'm going to keep an eye out for nesting behavior over the couple months in the hopes that I can film some falling ducklings. In the mean time, they're just looking awesome.

The females outnumbered the males 5 to 3, so some of the ladies were getting protective of their beaus.

They're one of the only ducks that have sharp claws on their feet to help them perch in trees.

Great Blue Heron:

Marsh Wren:

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

a cooper's hawk just landed right next to my birdfeeder a few feet away from me like "whats up do you mind if I eat some birds here"

i told him to eat the blackbirds

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Starlings itym

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

stubblyhead posted:

e: also I had no idea we had lizards around here, I don't think I've seen a lizard in the wild since I lived in Florida. Any tips on spotting one?

That one was right in the middle of a logging road, so... hope you get lucky and find some idiot waiting to get eaten by a hawk? The only other one I've seen was dead in a woodsy part of Corvallis.

Moon Potato posted:

The females outnumbered the males 5 to 3, so some of the ladies were getting protective of their beaus.

Females protecting mating rights seems so different from duck pond Mallard gangbang shenanigans, that's really cool. I bet they're all gettin some on the side though? :wotwot:

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

I love this thread, so glad it's here again!

This is my poo poo right here, thanks!

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

I don't know much about finding lizards in Oregon (you have twelve species), but your best bet is to walk through the woods or scrubland and keep your eyes and ears open. Alternately, flip rocks and logs and you might find some, or might instead find some salamanders/etc. I had a blast two years ago looking for salamanders in CA and OR, stumbled on an alligator lizard under a dry log in northern CA, which was neat - it was early in the year and I didn't think I'd get to see one.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

This lil dude was hanging out at work the other day, he did a tether jump when I picked him up and he had pretty good sized main eyes so I think he's some sort of jumping spider, but if anyone could tell me what species that'd be cool! southern Connecticut, for reference

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

The huge cephalothorax, tiny abdomen, and beefy biceps say Platycryptus undatus, even though they're usually tan rather than gray. They're common and adorable! :3:

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Alpenglow posted:

Females protecting mating rights seems so different from duck pond Mallard gangbang shenanigans, that's really cool. I bet they're all gettin some on the side though? :wotwot:
Everything I can find says that Wood Ducks form monogamous pairs during the breeding season, then find different mates the following year. They're a really aggressive species, especially considering their small size, so I'm not surprised that the females are fighting too.

Also, this is what a hovering Osprey looks like from directly underneath:

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Moon Potato posted:

Also, this is what a hovering Osprey looks like from directly underneath:

Bombs away! :butt:

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mrs.Nameko posted:

He really want the french fry that was under the bench

"ima fok u up m8"

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

PathAsc posted:

I love this thread, so glad it's here again!

This is my poo poo right here, thanks!

All of Nat Geo's documentaries on ants usually feature a war or two if you're a nerd who likes documentaries

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=me1V7bS0wWA

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
Waterfowl are loving cool and chill (except ducks amd geese gently caress them). There is a drainage gulley (bayou, pilot gulley, whatever they call them where you live) behind my parents' neighborhood that we kids used to gently caress around near back in the day. They've now put sidewalks and padestrian bridges on it and added some flowering local plants, and turned it into a little jogging trail area. Since then egrets and other marsh and coastal birds have taken up residence and they just chill there, being ice cold and badass.

I know it cost a little money to put all the nice poo poo in. A few miles of paved trail, the plants, and bench/trashcan pit stops. But it the grand scheme of things it's amazing how little effort you have to go through to ensure wildlife retains the kind of space it needs to flourish alongside even Houstonian Hellburbs.

On the same topic I worked at Walt Disney World for a year during college and they have a really good track record with this. Some of you who know the area might snort loudly in response to that statement, given how they took a huge chunk of forest and wetlands and turned it into WDW, but it's true. Something like half the land area of the joint is permenantly allotted to land management uses. It's not completely wild, they installed shitloads of water retention poo poo so the place doean't flood like a motherfucker, but it is kept relatively pristine. Pristine enough that the local wildlife is all over the place. Also they have mostly avoided disrupting the local microclimates. All while hosting god knows how many tens of millions of people a year and being one of the biggest vacation spots in the world. It goes to show that it IS possible for voracious human greed to coexist with the environments our buildings rest upon and within.

Anyway, fuckin words in gbs. poo poo used to depress me though. Once I found out that there were fewer known siberian tigers than are needed for a healthy gene pool. Thus their extinction had ultimately already been sealed. This has actually changed iirc, with a lot of science and effort they and many other species have been drug back from the brink. The idea is still the same though, that new generations of people might find only in history books the kind of biological diversity and distinctiveness that makes our world so wonderful and climatologically stable. That's why I fukkin love it when I see local ecosystems being guarded and enjoyed as they should be. There IS a right way to do it. And greedy fucks can still have all the loving material wealth they can imagine as long as they are willing to stab other people in the back to get it. We can do both. It's not too hard actually.

naem
May 29, 2011

Nathilus posted:

Waterfowl are loving cool and chill (except ducks amd geese gently caress them). There is a drainage gulley (bayou, pilot gulley, whatever they call them where you live) behind my parents' neighborhood that we kids used to gently caress around near back in the day. They've now put sidewalks and padestrian bridges on it and added some flowering local plants, and turned it into a little jogging trail area. Since then egrets and other marsh and coastal birds have taken up residence and they just chill there, being ice cold and badass.

I know it cost a little money to put all the nice poo poo in. A few miles of paved trail, the plants, and bench/trashcan pit stops. But it the grand scheme of things it's amazing how little effort you have to go through to ensure wildlife retains the kind of space it needs to flourish alongside even Houstonian Hellburbs.

On the same topic I worked at Walt Disney World for a year during college and they have a really good track record with this. Some of you who know the area might snort loudly in response to that statement, given how they took a huge chunk of forest and wetlands and turned it into WDW, but it's true. Something like half the land area of the joint is permenantly allotted to land management uses. It's not completely wild, they installed shitloads of water retention poo poo so the place doean't flood like a motherfucker, but it is kept relatively pristine. Pristine enough that the local wildlife is all over the place. Also they have mostly avoided disrupting the local microclimates. All while hosting god knows how many tens of millions of people a year and being one of the biggest vacation spots in the world. It goes to show that it IS possible for voracious human greed to coexist with the environments our buildings rest upon and within.

Anyway, fuckin words in gbs. poo poo used to depress me though. Once I found out that there were fewer known siberian tigers than are needed for a healthy gene pool. Thus their extinction had ultimately already been sealed. This has actually changed iirc, with a lot of science and effort they and many other species have been drug back from the brink. The idea is still the same though, that new generations of people might find only in history books the kind of biological diversity and distinctiveness that makes our world so wonderful and climatologically stable. That's why I fukkin love it when I see local ecosystems being guarded and enjoyed as they should be. There IS a right way to do it. And greedy fucks can still have all the loving material wealth they can imagine as long as they are willing to stab other people in the back to get it. We can do both. It's not too hard actually.

:911:

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Yeah I hear you mang plus add the world's tiniest whitebread violin but jfc.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Found this friendly guy wandering on a property where I was clearing brush and debris.

This guy was in my sink getting a sip from water droplets, I think.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Those are some very outta focus spider shots, but I actually love them just for how the reflection from Spidey's eyes really stands out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

the green things in that photo are actually the spider's chelicerae! you can see its lil shiny black eyes in the second shot :3:
looks like a lil bold jumping spider (Phidippus audax) which everyone loves

• Locked thread