Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

MrYenko posted:

EVERYTHING eats ducklings. It's part of why ducks tend to have such large clutches.

Ducks and rabbits, outbreeding predation

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jun 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

i made some new animal friends today

this guy was just chilling by the front door, cool tiger striped legs. pretty big for a jumping spider

that fat rear end toad stood his ground after almost getting eaten by my dog. also he had a mate or lunch or something with him that climbed back up in that corner, didn't see it but i could hear something big scrambling like 3 feet up behind the siding after my dog stuck his nose in t here. ugh

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jun 6, 2016

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Dick Trauma posted:

Otter: I'm an otter.

Dennis: And what do you do?

Otter: I swim around on my back and do cute little human things with my hands.

Dennis: You're free to go.

Carp cannot pass this test. :colbert:

Carp: I'm a carp

Dennis: And what do you do?

Carp: I swim around and eat everything in sight, spending like, two hours day day jumping out of water unpredictably enough that everyone knows I'm doing it, but nobody sees it.

Dennis: Man, that's a dick move. Go, get out of here, you rear end in a top hat fish

Carp: Eats Dennis

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

This monster fell from the sky and nearly landed on my head during my morning run today. Turns out it's an elm sawfly and not a horrible giant wasp as I initially thought. May have just moulted, which would explain why it wasn't moving much and the unusual colour.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

MrYenko posted:

EVERYTHING eats ducklings. It's part of why ducks tend to have such large clutches.
The Mallards at least time their breeding season for a period when there's not a lot of raptor activity in the marsh. Luckily for them, the blackbirds, crows and ravens that nest nearby at the same time tend to chase off most flying predators. Otters and raccoons are still a big hazard for ducklings, but the Mallards will keep laying clutches of eggs for a few months. Last year, I saw new ducklings emerge as late as September.

The Roosevelt elk herd in the Prairie Creek elk meadow has its first calf of the year:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xNxmeFjgC8

Highblood
May 20, 2012

Let's talk about tactics.
Hi here's a duck picture I thought he looked kinda funny sitting there

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Saw an irregular, dark greenish blob on the side of the house and grabbed my phone in case it was a frog:

Young gray tree frog! :3: (Central Ohio)

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
e; not the cute thread :v:

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jun 8, 2016

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Abyssal Squid posted:

Saw an irregular, dark greenish blob on the side of the house and grabbed my phone in case it was a frog:

Young gray tree frog! :3: (Central Ohio)

he's telling you that its wednsday, my dude

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Lots of critters running around on the hostas, including a shy P. audax eating an earwig, but she hid when I took a closer look and was nowhere to be found when I got my phone. I had to settle for a long-legged fly sitting still in the sunlight nearby.

I love long-legged flies so much.

e:

Ebony jewelwing damselfly that was feeling cooperative. Looks like the club-shaped abdomen means it's a female.

Abyssal Squid fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jun 9, 2016

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm
Couple of critters I encountered recently at Putah Creek just west of UC Davis:

There were a whole bunch of these little toads bopping around all over the place.

This...what is it, some kind of hamburger lizard? was just leisurely swimming along the bottom of the creek.

They were both clearly super-thrilled to meet me.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Mister Mind posted:

Couple of critters I encountered recently at Putah Creek just west of UC Davis:

There were a whole bunch of these little toads bopping around all over the place.

"Put me down at once, you Philistine, or it shall be pistols at dawn."

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Losing my poo poo at "hamburger lizard"

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

That vagina has the largest, most nostril filled clitoris I have ever seen :stare:

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

VendaGoat posted:

That vagina has the largest, most nostril filled clitoris I have ever seen :stare:

Sorry, man. Hamburger Lizard was much, much better.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Kilo147 posted:

Sorry, man. Hamburger Lizard was much, much better.

Jokes are no longer allowed on these forums. Gotcha.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
knock knock

who's there

dentata tortoise

dentata tortoise who

CHOMP CHOMP CHOMP

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

VendaGoat posted:

Jokes are no longer allowed on these forums. Gotcha.

Were they ever?

EmDuck
Feb 16, 2013
Gazelle :

'Tis still bee season :

And a tiny little Damselfly :

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

VendaGoat posted:

Can't unsee... :burger: :fap: :gonk:

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

A Barn Swallow feeding its newly-fledged chicks:

A Yellow-breasted Chat (this was a new one for me)

Harbor seals at the mouth of the Mad River:

Elk toilet paper is kind of gross.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

No pictures; I was out on the Youghiogheny River this weekend, and got to bask in the incredible noise generated by the swarm of 17-year cicadas currently entering its final weeks of swarming. These were Brood V cicadas, and many of them were committing suicide by falling into the river. I rescued a couple of them. They were very cute passengers!

None found in the immediate Pittsburgh area, but if you get out to Connellsville, you'll be in for a show. And for crunchy footsteps.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Just picked off a Japanese beetle when I heard buzzing, I thought it was another Japanese beetle but it turned out to be what I think is an emerald jumper (Paraphidippus aurantius) that had just caught a fly. Sorry about the focus, it was about 2m above the ground and hard to get a good shot of.

Critter traces! Leafcutter bees apparently decided to go after this pepper plant.

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

what a gorgeous little spider! :kimchi: thank you for sharing

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Terrible blurry photo of a tree frog of some kind:

Less blurry photo of a mystery bug:

What IS that second thing? Some kind of wasp? But its antennae look so weird, as does the body shape. Pittsburgh, PA. Images are bigger if you click 'em.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

my cat is norris posted:

What IS that second thing? Some kind of wasp? But its antennae look so weird, as does the body shape. Pittsburgh, PA. Images are bigger if you click 'em.

Definitely a wasp. I was going to go with a black and yellow mud dauber based on a quick search but the abdomen seems different.

As you can see from the search results, there's a tremendous variety of strange wasps out there.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Chinston Wurchill posted:

but the abdomen seems different.

Mud Dauber seems perfect, until you get to that part. Darn it.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Mud daubers are also huge and that looks tiny, like one of those millions of different little black wasps that vibrate their antennae constantly. Almost certainly some sort of parasitoid, though.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I'd guess it was about a half inch long at the most -- fairly standard wasp size? Not unusually big, or unusually small.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Moon Potato posted:

A Barn Swallow feeding its newly-fledged chicks:

These were all great photos, but this one made me say "holy poo poo!" and of course right in front of my daughter. She agreed that was the right thing to say. Great shot.

It appears we have a goldfish invasion in our local "nature area."

Woodlake Goldfish 3 by HM, on Flickr

This is where these guys live:
Nature Center Dusk 1 by HM, on Flickr

They seem to be hanging out with the local carp.

Woodlake Golfish 1 by HM, on Flickr

Must be to make goldfish/ carp babies.

Woodlake Golfish Hybrid 1 by HM, on Flickr

Last year we saw a goldfish in this small urban pond, but I thought it was a fluke and it would die during winter. I was so wrong. I guess wild goldfish are a thing, even if it does get 30 below f here.

HungryMedusa fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jun 25, 2016

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!

HungryMedusa posted:

Must be to make goldfish/ carp babies.

Woodlake Golfish Hybrid 1 by HM, on Flickr

Last year we saw a goldfish in this small urban pond, but I thought it was a fluke and it would die during winter. I was so wrong. I guess wild goldfish are a thing, even if it does get 30 below f here.

Oh! It's a shame these are invasive (Presumably?) because this one is really pretty.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

btw if any of you guys have bird feeders and want the grackles to gently caress off get some safflower seed. It's advertised as being anti-squirrel, but the grackles don't like it either and all the other birds seem to love it

naem
May 29, 2011

I want a bird feeder to attract all the spooky garbage animals like squirrels and grackles and crows and Ravens, and coyotes, and that one frost bitten possum with rickets who snarls at you through the patio door you know the one

Just a bunch of suet and meat on a stick and corn and bugs and a mostly empty protein shake container that got wet and there's some sludge in the bottom still

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

naem posted:

I want a bird feeder to attract all the spooky garbage animals like squirrels and grackles and crows and Ravens, and coyotes, and that one frost bitten possum with rickets who snarls at you through the patio door you know the one

Just a bunch of suet and meat on a stick and corn and bugs and a mostly empty protein shake container that got wet and there's some sludge in the bottom still

So, a cut in half gallon of milk with some left spoiled in the bottom, 1/4 lb of old ground chuck, a doughnut, and a barbie head.

Dammit, now I have to make this to see what shows up.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

HungryMedusa posted:

I guess wild goldfish are a thing, even if it does get 30 below f here.

Goldfish are nearly impossible to kill.

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

MrYenko posted:

Goldfish are nearly impossible to kill.

Except when you try to keep them alive.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

HungryMedusa posted:

These were all great photos, but this one made me say "holy poo poo!" and of course right in front of my daughter. She agreed that was the right thing to say. Great shot.
Thanks. I'm pet-sitting for someone who has a Barn Swallow nest on the back porch right now, so I might be able to get some more fledgling shots tomorrow. The nest was empty in the early afternoon, so I thought I had missed them, but the fledglings have returned to spend the night there.

A Great Blue Heron catching a sculpin:

Great Egret:

There are no Wood Duck ducklings in Sequoia Park yet, but a flock of Violet-green Swallows has started skimming for insects on the pond.

A roundup from an afternoon in Patrick's Point State Park:
Pelagic Cormorants

Black-tailed deer

Brush rabbit

Grey whale and a flock of Common Murres

Swainson's Thrush gathering caterpillars

Harbor seals

A very irritated Steller's Jay trying to chase away a crow

Chipmunk

Moon Potato fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jun 26, 2016

Highblood
May 20, 2012