Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
minasole
Jan 11, 2016
is life only evolved and selected chemical reactions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

probably

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Life is what you make of it!

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Sometimes.

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
Reagan is life.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
Life is a tool of nature to move the universe toward thermodynamic equilibrium. Furthermore,

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Lemons are involved.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!
Seems like, why?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

minasole posted:

Everything points that way.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

No. Life is self-propagating information. Chemical reactions are merely the medium.

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jan 12, 2016

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.
I think therefore I am.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

I don't understand how people can realize things like this and say "only" like it isn't amazing and awe inspiring.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
yeah but that's pretty cool.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Humboldt Squid posted:

I don't understand how people can realize things like this and say "only" like it isn't amazing and awe inspiring.

Love is only biological responses and it's still pretty baller, OP.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

minasole posted:

It's a bit more complicated than that, but you have the gist, yes.

So what and/or isn't that amazing!?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Life is pizza.

Pizza is life.

So yes.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jan 12, 2016

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Bob James posted:

Reagan is life.
Actually I'm a ghost.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

To be more specific, life is self-propagating information capable of detecting environmental conditions and responding to them. The chemistry of biological systems is a tool through which these responses are expressed. Some chemical arrangements, like lipid membranes, are used mostly for mechanical reasons like durability and polarity. Others, like neurotransmitters and receptor proteins, are employed because their interaction follows a specific algebraic function and thus computationally behaves as that function. This allows the lifeform to chemically represent and analyze external information internally and respond to it.

The life isn't actually in the chemistry. It's in the genetic information that expresses a total design for a self-propagating and adapting chemical machine. This information's form is an emergent property of nucleic acid structure, but nucleic acids are just very convenient substrates on which to represent a chemical instruction set. A completely accurate translation of this information structure to another medium (such as a digital electronic representation) would be "life" just as much as the one implemented through chemistry.

:weed:

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jan 12, 2016

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

minasole posted:

Maybe yours is. :smug:

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Humboldt Squid posted:

It's probably because that's a subjective judgment arising out of psychological tendencies determined by a complex series of chemical reactions in your brain which are ultimately entirely beyond the control of what you would consider to be your individual "self" (a "self" which might not even actually exist in any meaningful sense).

Beautiful, isn't it?

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

minasole posted:

Yes.

Welcome to the universe, enjoy your stay as an insignificant speck.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I'm afraid so, yes.

Personally, I find it freeing!

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Humboldt Squid posted:

yeah basically this

you can make a distinction whether life is the information expressed through these chemical reactions rather than the reactions themselves or whatever, but no matter what you put 'on top' of it, the underlying foundation of life is just the same particles reacting in the same ways you learned in middle and high school, except put together in more complicated shapes

how people can think that isn't just the raddest thing ever mystifies me :shroom:

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

PT6A posted:

I'm afraid so, yes.

Personally, I find it freeing!

So did I, until I realized I still have to go into work tomorrow.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Yep.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Yes. It only had to start once - which is why everything codes amino acids with the same codons to the best of our knowledge.

I've imagined viruses are a branch of 'life' from before amino acids became symbiotic with lipid bubbles in the first couple million years of oceans and weather on Earth. They just stayed rogue - hijacking the more complex DNA vehicles for their own advantage.

Mc Do Well fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jan 12, 2016

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Yes.

Anchor Wanker
May 14, 2015
Yeup

Lyapunov Unstable
Nov 20, 2011
Yes also so is every particle in the universe which is the much more profound insight of the theory of evolution ~bung rip~

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Lyapunov Unstable posted:

Yes also so is every particle in the universe which is the much more profound insight of the theory of evolution ~bung rip~

Nah there's other forces at work like gravity and spacetime dimensions that we don't yet grasp. Radiation might have helped make weird molecules in comet ice that collided with Earth - but that's ballistics going all the way back to our solar system just being dense nebula.

Or to use 'Interstellar' science - could a very weak gravity focus or 'eddy' determined the creation of our star since the big bang? Does free will exist at all? Humans are just a very unusual iteration of a strange phenomena coating the surface of a rock.

Lyapunov Unstable
Nov 20, 2011

McDowell posted:

Nah there's other forces at work like gravity and spacetime dimensions that we don't yet grasp. Radiation might have helped make weird molecules in comet ice that collided with Earth - but that's ballistics going all the way back to our solar system just being dense nebula.

Or to use 'Interstellar' science - could a very weak gravity focus or 'eddy' determined the creation of our star since the big bang? Does free will exist at all? Humans are just a very unusual iteration of a strange phenomena coating the surface of a rock.
Ya gravitic chemistry is a thing and there could be all sorts of gravity-dominated chemical reactions and even life rife on compact stellar objects and at all sorts of scale/force regimes. Using chemistry broadly

ductonius
Apr 9, 2007
I heard there's a cream for that...

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

fade5 posted:

Yes.

Welcome to the universe, enjoy your stay as an insignificant speck.
I'm totally cool with the speckness of myself and humanity. It's the opposite prospect that's depressing, that everything is basically limited to what we have here, but that turns out to not be the case. The scale of the universe is more comforting than anything.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Yes, but it turns out the information processing embedded in the relations between those chemical reactions have the ability to feel love and watch anime. And I'm all out of anime.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Life has constantly sought organization - from chemical reactions between proteins and other biomolecules - to cells - to multicellular organisms - leading to the animal kingdom, a couple disruptions, and now humans with their own means of organizing themselves - affecting every corner of the planet with events measured in hours. Maybe antibiotic resistant microbes will catch up with us and evolution's flirtation with electronics will end.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Actually love propels reproduction and therefore speeds the heat death of the universe.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I don't believe in free will. It's generally a meaningless belly gazing philosophical thing, but it's the only logical conclusion if you really say yes to this thread.

I genuinely try not to get mad at people for most of their decisions. Which isn't to say I don't get angry all the time, because I'm just as much controlled by my chemistry as you are.

The thing that tipped me over into total acceptance of this idea is actually the stuff I've been learning about how gut bacteria control your life.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

rudatron posted:

Yes, but it turns out the information processing embedded in the relations between those chemical reactions have the ability to feel love and watch anime. And I'm all out of anime.

Thank God.

I mean...thank the dice God plays with.

Nevvy Z posted:

I don't believe in free will. It's generally a meaningless belly gazing philosophical thing, but it's the only logical conclusion if you really say yes to this thread.

I genuinely try not to get mad at people for most of their decisions. Which isn't to say I don't get angry all the time, because I'm just as much controlled by my chemistry as you are.

The thing that tipped me over into total acceptance of this idea is actually the stuff I've been learning about how gut bacteria control your life.

I believe in Free Willy because he is a big killer whale and they made a movie about him. Live-action, really didn't look like CGI, pretty sure it was legit.

As for the whole gut bacteria thing, well....let me just say I always wash my hands before I eat, so I don't think that's a problem for me. My gut's squeaky clean.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jan 12, 2016

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Yes but it should just make us think more highly of chemical reactions rather than less of life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Yep. Sorry we had to break it to you here on a comedy website, OP.

• Locked thread