Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGikhmjTSZI

Buried alive posted:

Incidentally, it was one of those talks that tipped me over from agnosticism into atheism.

:catholic:Something can't come from nothing!
:science:Well, actually...

But you fool, something can't come from nothing. The big bang signifies a breakdown of our models that we're trying to resolve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008
And please, always remember: The inventor of the big bang theory was a jesuit priest.

The Belgian fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jan 15, 2016

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

WhitemageofDOOM posted:

And Information in the scientific sense has nothing to do with things like words in a books, you are thinking of meaning.
what

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008
Scientism is a disease; of wich this world must be cleansed.

Jazerus posted:

information must be able to both detect and respond to its environment.
This statement is without meaning.

McDowell posted:

What is the body of christ but the church - a material, social institution/bureaucracy? Eternal life that is promised isn't literal - but living on in the memory of subsequent generations who maintain the institution, performing the rituals. The lesson we have to learn is that a basic standard of living and managed reproduction must become the institution.
I don't think this reflects the belief of any christian group.

The Belgian fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jan 16, 2016

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

Jazerus posted:

thanks for your stellar input :thumbsup:

Could you elaborate?

Why do you want to mix up the object with information (whatever information might be).

EDIT: this seems like mixing up a house and a picture of that house.

McDowell posted:

It is a personal interpretation of Christianity (and other faiths - especially Islam) as frameworks in human social evolution. The need is for a universal, secular morality. Recall the creation myth - humans ate from the tree of knowledge but were denied immortality. Right now our species will at best live as long as our star - and that is okay.
Why do you think humanity will only live as long as our star and why are you ok with that?

The Belgian fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jan 16, 2016

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

McDowell posted:

Maybe we will become interstellar and God will start bugging us again - like Battlestar Galactica :awesomelon:

Becoming interstellar doesn't seem like a maybe; it seems like a certainty.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

Jazerus posted:

the organism is the relationship between the objects. The information.

Oh, if you want to call that information, the I'm fine with things. Though I see the objects themselves as nothing but the relationships.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

Trent posted:

Lol.

I'm an extremely optimistic person, but there are a mind boggling number of challenges on that road.

I hope so, but certainty? Pff

The position is hardly one of extreme optism. Just look at how far we've come these last 500 years. That's a blink of an eye, not only on a cosmological scale; but even on the scale of biological life. Further, there's no sign of our advancement slowing down, on the contrary.

Zas posted:

actually op i read that only death is certain

Death is uncertain.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

You're making the completely illogical assumption that, because we've discovered how to do a lot of things, it must therefore be possible to do literally anything as long as we have enough time to research it. This doesn't make sense. There are probably many things that really aren't possible for humans to do in this universe. And when it comes to space travel specifically, there have been very few advancements after we initially figured out how rockets work (and the other stuff required for our early space exploits). We solved a bunch of engineering problems, but we aren't even the tiniest bit closer to something like interstellar travel.

If you wanted to graph out "our progress towards interstellar travel", it would be something like a line (whether linear, expontential, etc, it doesn't matter) going up and then just planing out. We're not on some huge upward trend in that field.

The fact that we've made all this progress over such a short time actually hurts your argument significantly. It would be more convincing if humans continued to make huge technological advances over 10,000 years, but it's entirely possible that everything we've learned over the past few hundreds years has been the equivalent of grabbing all the low-hanging fruit after making a few key discoveries.

There's been advancement in space exploration, but yes, that as slowed down recently. To me, there seem to be two big reasons for this:
*Goverment funding declining over time, because there's no more need for big prestige projects and because it doesn't seem like further andvancements will help us to make better rockets of the type that are intended to kill people. Recently, there seems to be some hope that private invenvestment migh help fill this gap. This decline has nothing to do with the intrinscip viability of space research, but everything with how much money we choose to throw at it.
*Yes, for some things advances in more fundamental fields are needed first. Those fundamental fields are making good progress though.

When we look at our overall scientific advancement, things seem to be going exponentially. There's no sign so far that we're stopping or have only been grabbing the low-hanging fruit.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

WhitemageofDOOM posted:

Well we have real valid understandings of the light speed barrier and why it is impassable.
Not really and who knows if it's even actually impassable.

Plus, things like dark energy make it so that objects can move faster than the speed of light relative to each other.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

The Larch posted:

No, we have a pretty solid understanding of why the light speed barrier exists and that it's impassable.

Why are you so confident that the local SO(3,1) symmetry of our universe isn't (weakly) broken? People would have had the same confidence in P symmetry in the past.

quote:

The second part is not the result of anything moving faster than light. It's the result of the space between the two objects expanding while they move. This gives the appearance of FTL travel.
Yes, I know how this works, but what makes the object moving different from the space between object and observer changing different to a naïve observer? To the observer the object is moving FTL.

The Belgian fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jan 17, 2016

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

The Larch posted:

I'm not knowledgeable enough about this subject to talk about the first bit, but as to the second, the observer could only observe the object moving FTL relative to another object, not to the observer themself.

You're right, for the second part I should have said observer looking at how two objects move relative to eachother, that makes a much clearer case. That doesn't essentially affect what I said though.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

Yes, you can; if the movement is due to the expansion or shrinkage of space between them. We said this and it's exactly what your link says.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

LookingGodIntheEye posted:

The essential idea seems to be that the two galaxies seen by the observer are not in the same reference frame because the space between them is expanding at an accelerating rate. Because they are not in the same reference frame, there is no speed of light restriction.

Yes, that's what we've said repeatedly??

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

LookingGodIntheEye posted:

The significance is that the frames are not moving, the space between them is expanding. There is a difference. Nothing is actually moving FTL.

Yes. The very concept of movement over extended distances is problematic in general relativity because there's no longer global SO(3,1) (aka Lorentz) symmetry; the SO(3,1) symmetry becomes local.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RtMMupdOC4

Further, as I said, there's always the possiblity that SO(3,1) symmetry is weakly broken.

Beyond that there's even fun times with things like SO(3,2) symmetry where you completely lose distance and movement as meaningful concepts.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

Commie NedFlanders posted:

I need some equations to describe how this poem causes my spirit to move

scientism = bad

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

blowfish posted:

actually it's good

determinism ftw

Those two aren't the same thing.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

blowfish posted:

i know but both are cool

Scientism is for fools who cannot fathom that every method, no matter how succesfu, has its limitations.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

Blurred posted:

Point 1) - that the values of the universe are independent - implies that a hypothetical, omnipotent being might be able to change one value of the universe (let us say, the speed of light) without changing any of the others. I question if that's a valid assumption. To use an analogy from geometry, we cannot change the value of the length of the hypotenuse of a right-angled triangle without altering either the length values of the remaining two sides, or the value of the angle that connects them. These values are co-dependent. When we have a circle, the values of one the diameter or the circumference of the circle may be arbitrarily set, but the value of the other must be adjusted to retain the ratio of pi, or else to distend the shape into something that is no longer a circle. Again, these values are co-dependent. Now, imagine if I said, ""The value of pi has been calculated beyond the millionth decimal place. If the value of pi were to have been off by just the smallest fraction of a percent, then many features of the universe - including the elliptical orbits of the planets, and their roughly spherical shape - would be completely impossible. For the value of pi to have been so precisely set so as to allow for the orbital paths and shapes ochance. The odds of pi being exactly the value that it is, down to the millionth decimal place, are unimaginably huge. The only reasonable explanation is a divine creator who chose the value of pi so as to make round shapes in our universe possible". Does that sound like a reasonable explanation? Of course not. The value of pi is fixed by a certain ratio, and would be the same in all possible universes.

The value of pi can be different depending on the curvature of the universe, if you define pi from the properties of circles.

Blurred posted:

Point 2) - that the values of the universe are capable of variation - implies that it is at least hypothetically plausible that the values may have turned out differently, and that it is therefore valid to ask why they arbitrarily possess this or that value as opposed to any of the potentially infinite number of other values that they might have otherwise possessed. In addition to what I said before about the possibility of certain values being co-dependent and therefore fixed in the form of certain ratios (e.g. the length of the hypotenuse of a right-triangle is not arbitrary, but a fixed ratio of the other two sides - and vice versa) there is also the problem that, on the quantum level, phenomena don't exhibit gradual variations, but rather "jump" from one value to another (in fixed gradations) that do not permit intermediate values. Two pick just a couple of examples:
variations of quantities in QM are gradual, the jumping only happens when you come to "observations".

Blurred posted:

• First, the spin of elementary particles. These can only exist in gradations of 1/2, e.g. : 0, ½, 1, 1½ and so on. It's incoherent to ask what a fermion with a spin of 1.736 would look like, just as it would be incoherent to ask what a universe with a pi value of 4 would look like. Similarly, if we were to arbitrarily change the spin of a given particle (let us say, from 1 -> 1½) we would not just be changing this value independently, we would also be changing fundamentally the kind of particle it is (in this case, if I understand correctly, from a boson to a fermion), and thus all its other properties at the same time. Hence, the spin value of a particle is not variable.
Is not related to QM, integer spins are present in classical systems.

Blurred posted:

• Second, there is the concept of Planck length. Zeno asked what would happen if Achilles were to talk an infinite series of steps, each half as long as the last - what would happen? Well, quantum physics tells us this would be possible until he arrived at Planck length, at which point the exercise would have to cease. It's impossible to take a step equivalent to half of Planck length (roughly 1.6^-35m) because it is impossible to distinguish between two locations that are a shorter distance that that apart. I raise this example because it shows that even something which appears to be capable of infinite variation - in this case length or distance - is actually constrained by this shortest permissible length. Every length, as I understand it, must be some exact multiple of this Planck length, and it is in principle impossible for the length of anything to vary beyond the 36th decimal point of a metre.
The Planck length is meaningless, what you said here is wrong.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

waitwhatno posted:

lmao, I'm done with this poo poo. gently caress D&D, it's like trying to explain quantum mechanics to some guy with no short or long term memory.

If you can't handle the heat, stay out of the kitchen!!

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

McDowell posted:

This is getting off the topic of the thread - but I'm suggesting a kind of 'open source' holism. You make software for every citizen to have a personal profile that is used for education, voting, and employment. States and Nations can adopt and modify it for their own uses. Within the USA there must be the highest standard for human rights and justice. You can have a minimum income by letting people earn the right to procreate.

This is the most horrifying thing possible.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

Zodium posted:

no no, it only works if you don't tell me up front that the rope is a rope. you're supposed to accurately predict that I'll fall back on a heuristic and mistake something not-stupid for something stupid or the other way around, so that my self evidently not-even-wrong responses will reveal my bluff. i'll give you a mulligan if you want to try again.

e: so what you should have done is take that definition, but add in a nonsense word or something and see if I still agreed. this is dumb.

Boo

Dazzling Addar posted:

this thread has convinced me, science is actually fake and god is real and cool

Good

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

minasole posted:

Additionally, sometimes they can mislead us..For instance, mathematical models cannot fully represent true biological phenomena because they don't account for the spatial factor. They only assume that all chemicals can react with each other without accounting for spatial factors. Additionally, they don't account for inhibitory events, etc....Some scientists (even legit ones) introduced some kind of these supposed models into computers, played with complexity and supposedly got some incredible results, such as bacteria, flowers, animals, etc...
Now i think this is an example how wrong initial assumptions, when used in wrong ways, can lead us to monstruously misleading conclusions.
Its like if you are asked to combine 1,2, 5, 8, 5689 and you say: Eureka!!! Its 1+2=15*5=3000*8=5689

You sound like a crazy person.

McDowell posted:

Everyone in the world has been shaped, consciously or unconsciously, by theories/models like Social Darwinism and Game Theory. There needs to be a new ideology that everyone can consciously engage with and shape the world- but maybe I'm just the scientist from the beginning on 'Dawn of the Dead'. The people aren't going to leave their homes and give up bodies for immediate cremation.

Shaped by realising social darwinism is for idiots?

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

Delicious

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

blowfish posted:

i mind go do decide for against proposition is

words

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

waitwhatno posted:

entropy dictates that all of the possible states will be populated over time, right?

Uh-oh, firstly: it isn't entropy that dictates this.
But much more importantly: it takes a really really long time to go through all possible states, even for extremely simple systems e.g. : https://books.google.be/books?id=GJ...urrence&f=false

The more complex your system, the more state's you'll have to move through.

A good primer on nonequilibrium stat mech is http://www.math.ens.fr/~bodineau/GT_2012/kac-ring.pdf

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

waitwhatno posted:

nah, man. you gonna have to come up with something better than that. state entropy is minimized when all chemical systems/chemicals in the ensemble are in a single state and it is maximized when the probability to encounter each state is exactly the same. THAT much i can remember from school. (this is all talking about the microcanonical ensemble, obviously)

I came up with something better: I linked you to an excellent primer on nonequilibrium stat mech which gives a good explanation of what things like entropy are as far as we can understand them. (Entropy is very poorly understood in some non-equilibrium situations but in the toy model in the link it's perfectly understood.) Obvioulsy I can't go through that here because it'd take about 20 pages but if parts of the text are unclear, I'd be happy to help.

waitwhatno posted:

well, the first perception-action state got populated, or otherwise we would not be here. do you really disagree here?
That's of course true, I'm just disagreeing with your explanation of why it got populated. Higher complexity will make it less likely for specific states to get poplated when there are no other influences so that's actually detrimental.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

waitwhatno posted:

yeah, sorry, but i'm not gonna read a 30p paper right now. maybe later. what exactly is your point? all i'm saying is that a microcanonical ensemble with all particles in the same state will move to a system-state with all particles spread out over all possible states and that this is due to entropy. where do you disagree?

if you are trying to say that the transition probability between two states in a real system is not always the same, than i totally agree. but that doesn't really change the argument. while the more complex states and the states with a higher gibbs energy are less likely to be populated, this doesn't matter if you assume an idealized system with infinite time and particles.

My problem is that this:

waitwhatno posted:

a microcanonical ensemble with all particles in the same state will move to a system-state with all particles spread out over all possible states and that this is due to entropy.

Is wrong in reality. You say infinite time, where that statement could be true but it's not true at any timescale relevant for the real world. In the card-shuffling example I linked:

It takes an absurd number of times the lifetime of the universe. And that's for a system with only 52 elements. Compare that to even the simplest living organism.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

waitwhatno posted:

aaaaaah, now i get what you are saying and i totally and absolutely agree with you here. some bio-chemical processes have an insanely low reaction rate and it is obvious that something more complicated is at play here. the actual processes that allows for these reactions to happen can be extremely sophisticated, from a statistical mechanics point of view. i totally agree. (on an unrelated note, i remember reading a paper of someone doing qm simulations of protein folding processes and publishing it, so it's not even clear whether biochemistry is a purely classical process yet)

yeah, obviously most life processes are non-equilibrium processes, which only reach equilibrium under idealized conditions. gonna read your paper when i have some time.

For sure reaction rate is a part of it, but even with an insanely fast process, you can't go through all possible states in a reasonable time.

To take the going through all states of a deck of cards again: In the text I link they take 1 second for shuffling and dealing a deck. But, let's say we take the shortest time we can control as the time we take to shuffle and deal: 10^-17 seconds. Then even at that rate, it takes 10^28 times the lifetime of the universe to go through all possible configurations of a deck of cards. And a deck of cards has 52 elements compared to a whole bunch for even the simplest photoreceptor. So yes, you need something more complicated.

EDIT: Oh, and al lot of non-equilibrium is still a big mystery, even to experts who've been doing this for all their lives. It's for example not even clear if all non-equilibrium systems ever go to an equilibrium. For a living thing to become an equilibrium system means that it's now a dead thing.

The Belgian fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Feb 27, 2016

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

waitwhatno posted:

i'm not sure what your point is here exactly, it has been long established that nature uses an huge amount of tricks to make all the necessary biochemistry occur at reasonable timeframes. with the right chaperone you can probably get through that deck of cards in no time ...
No, even with something like that, you can't get through all the states of a deck of cards in a reasonable time. As I said, 10^-17 sec is the fastest 'stuff can be done', and much faster than any molecular thing and it still takes 10^28 lifetimes of the universe to go through all states. Of course, if you don't want to cycle through all states but have something specific in mind, like say sort the deck according to suite, you can do that very quickly by yourself or using a computer or metaphorically using a chaperone molecule. But that's in a sense going beind the very basic stat mech 'cycle through all states'.

EDIT: The point is 'be careful with entropy!'

The Belgian fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Feb 27, 2016

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

waitwhatno posted:

the chaperone example was meant metaphorically :confused:

i'm not sure why you are so hung up on your card example or why it's interesting. IRC, there are something like 10e30 bacteria lifeforms on earth, so give each one a tiny, itzy-bitzy card deck and let them draw permutations. i bet this speeds up the whole thing to only a couple of universe lifetimes. problem solved!

Yes, I know the chaperone was meant methaporically, I just said it explicity to avoid confusion. (Causing confusion in doing so, of course.)

Yes, with all the bacteria working on it, you can go through all the states of a single deck of cards in maybe few universe lifetimes. But I was using the deck of cards as a simplest statistical systems. It's intersting ebcause it's fairly easy to think of the possible configurations of a deck of cards as a kind of warm-up. A single cell has an incredibly much larger number of configurations than a deck of cards, so even with all the cells doing it, you can't go through all the configurations of a single cell in a vaguely reasonable time.

EDIT: The Kac ring text I linked to is a kind of conceptual warm-up too, but we can say much more exact things about these ideal systems than a real-world non-equilibrium system.

The Belgian fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Feb 27, 2016

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

SHISHKABOB posted:

So it seems to me that you're saying that not all of the states are gone through, and that somehow specific ones appear to be strongly preferred.

Yes, it can't jsut be all the states get propegated equally as was initially proposed. But why are some of the states preferred? Part of it would be by drawing the macro/micro state distinction and noting that 'perceptor' is a macro state to some extent which corresponds to a nulber of micro states. But clearly that way you still only cover a very small part of the state space, so why the preference?

EDIT: Having a perceptor is clearly useful once you have it, but why would there be a drive towards it before you have it?

The Belgian fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Feb 27, 2016

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

waitwhatno posted:

I think you have completely misunderstood the point, that I was trying to make. There is no "preference". For example, take a rubber band aka "the entropic spring". A fully stretched, ideal rubber band has only a single possible configuration, while a relaxed rubber band has an enormous amount of possible configurations. So, as soon as you stop stretching it, it will quickly go to one of the relaxed states by itself. But this is not due to "preferring" to move there, it's just state entropy in process and the relaxing is a result of that.

Soooo ... a rubber band system moves randomly into all possible states, without concerns or preferences and only assumes a relaxed state due to state entropy. Live "mutates" into all possible(and feasible) states, without concerns or preferences and only reaches important bottleneck transition states due to state entropy.
The rubber band does not move into all possible micro states. If it did that, you would see it be relaxed for a while, suddenly fully strech for a brief instance, then relax again,... You'd have the Poincaré recurrence from the text I linked. The rubber band will only move through a very small number of all possible micro states and yes, it does so whitout preference. The reason why the rubber band relaxes is that practically all the micro states belong to the relaxed macro state and only a few to a stretched macro state (only one for maximally stretched). The path through micro state space then with practical certainty lead the rubber band to the relaxed macro state. The same isn't true for perceptors. If you have some amino acids or whatever, only a few of their macro states will be 'perceptor'. The vast majority will be 'biological goop' and there'll be about as many 'sugar->cyanide converter' as 'perceptor', so you really need more to egt the drive to perceptor.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

Jazerus posted:

Some states are preferred because they assist in self-replication. Such states are propagated through time by the replication process itself. There is a drive toward perception because it is, by definition, the only way to correlate action with the current environmental context. A self-replicator - even something as simple as an RNA molecule - which randomly acquired a useful perception-action mechanism would be at a tremendous advantage over randomly acting self-replicators and quickly dominate, even if the perception was only weakly correlated with the full state of the environment and the action thus only barely appropriate.

Perception is at the very core of life, right beside self-replication. The information received through perception is what narrows the state space by restricting possible actions. That's what perception does, on a mechanical level; allows or disallows certain internal states based on interaction with the external state.

As I said in the edit, there's an advantage once you have a perceptor but there's not before you do. You can't just get the first perceptor by cycling through the state space as that would take absurdly long times as I've given several examples of.

Edited again: actually, after reading this again instead of skimming it when just woke up I realizy this is actually all pretty crazy and I totally misread i the first time. Oops!

The Belgian fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Feb 27, 2016

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Yes, Swenson is a crackpot. His websites are an embarrassment. I didn't realize the link I gave was to another of them, ugh. FWIW, he hasn't been involved for a long time, and the scientists who are are well-respected in their fields. For example, Kondepudi, who's textbook on thermodynamics you may have used in undergrad.

The modern literature on the topic is probably more rigorous, but alas it is behind paywalls. Nevertheless I feel that the Swenson article is more accessible, given that he goes deeper into the background and history than any of these:
http://www.tandfonline.com/toc/heco20/24/1
http://www.tandfonline.com/toc/heco20/24/3

I'm disappointed to hear that those figures are inaccurate. However, he didn't come up with data out of thin air, he does give references. The second one isn't even his figure. And the correct version of the first that you posted seems perfectly consistent with the idea that evolution has tended toward a state of greater O2 concentration. I'm assuming that spike that he missed was some extinction event.

It's too bad you find these inaccuracies to preclude even continuing to read the paper. To me they don't seem damning of the entire enterprise. I'm sure there's plenty more you could pick apart.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extremal_principles_in_non-equilibrium_thermodynamics

Swenson probably should have latched onto on the of these rather than trying to forward his own formulation, but it's not like he's the first or the last to do so.

A few posts back I wrote a post originally mostly agreeing with you because I recognized the Rayleigh-Bénard convection cell and the story in the image and didn't look much further at the crackpot link that Blowfish pointed oit. If you are talking about the work that people like Pripogine have been working on then yes, that's all extremely valuable and goes a way towards answering some of the remarks I've been making.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008
EDIT: For clarity, this post is in reply to the conversation with Juffo-Wop, not the other one

I think a relevant concept here is the following: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universality_%28dynamical_systems%29
In a very hand-waving and super-speculative way, e.g. economics might be gotten from physics via the renormalisation group (see my link) with the economically similar features of all systems being the relevant operators and all esle the irrelevant operators.

People are already pretty convinced that the renormalisation group is 'why' we can describe the say the properties of the air in a room that are relevant to us can de described with a few parameters: temperature, pressure; instead of the properties of all the particles present.

The Belgian fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Feb 27, 2016

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

Juffo-Wup posted:

I'm not sufficiently fluent in the jargon (this is why I have been avoiding for the most part the other discussion in this thread) to offer a substantive response here, but my sense is that we are dangerously close to confusing the model with the phenomenon it models.

Could you say a bit more about why you see it as confusing model and the thing being modelled? For universality, one of the more ambitious examples given is about how the same model seems to work for a bus system and some quantum thing. I think it's very clear nobody thinks the bus system is the same as the quantum thing, but the same model can be used if you substitute the properties of the quantum thing being modelled with properties of the bus system (where these are different properties that fit into the same places in the model).

The other part of what I mentioned is the renormalisation group, which starts from a model for e.g. the atoms in a gas, coarse grains it and then gives you a model for a few parameter which descibes the whole gas on a macro scale correctly. It seems sensible that if a model does a good job modelling a thing one one scale, it should yield models that do a decent job descrebing the thing at a coarser scale?

quote:

Edit - Though I can offer this response at least: your hypothetical here is an empirical question. Until someone can explain/predict economic events with statistical mechanics, there's no particular reason to think the reduction will be successful.
Yes, of course it's empirical, but where the coarse-gaining has been done it's been extremely succesful. Which doesn't prove anything but means it could be an interesting direction.

I've also seen the phrase reduce FIELD to physics which throws me of and seems the wrong way to go about it. You don't want to know about every atom in a financiel transaction? It seems to me that you want to do the opposite: reduce physics to FIELD by e.g. using RG to get rid of all the irrelevant parameters?

The Belgian fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Feb 27, 2016

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

Juffo-Wup posted:

My initial sense was that the statistical mechanics model only relates to a small range of the events that a mature science might try to cover, so there's no reduction in any strong sense, because we don't end up with a sparser ontology by the end of the process.

But I guess that wasn't the point in the first place from what you're saying now. So, okay, I guess.

Well, you lose stuff but you also gain stuff, I suppose? There's no notion of financial transaction if you're talking about atoms, that 'emerges' when you coarse-grain. Then in the financial model you of course lose notions like speed of an atom. So there's not so much a sparser ontology as a different ontology?

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

blowfish posted:

It's kind of very handwavy, but I would call features superficially similar if they are similar (in higher order terms) to each other, i.e. to people waving your contactless credit card over the till is similar to handing over cash, but physical processes underlying the two may be very different and only be related by sharing one of their outcomes (the shop ends up with the same amount of additional cash in the bank).

I'm not sure why you consider them superficially way considering they're similar in all the ways relevant for what you're doing. Superficially similar is something that I'd use for say gold and pyrite. But that's just arguing about words of course, not terribly important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

waitwhatno posted:

The rubber band moves into all possible states. The fact that you are unlikely to encounter it in a fully stretched state at room temperature, is only due to the boltzmann factor(not considering the entropic argument here). The boltzmann factor also explains why you can find the rubber band exclusively in the one stretched state, at very low temperatures.

Can I ask you, if you ever had any formal education in statistical mechanics?

The rubber band will move through an enormous amount of micro states and at high temperatures it can access most of its phase space.

Again, nothing drives perceptors. Are there more possible organisms with perception, than without perception? Yes? Then the organisms without perception are your stretched rubber band analogy, all the organisms with perception are your relaxed rubber band analogy. The very first state between fully stretched and fully relaxed is your analogy of the very first perception-capable organism. There is nothing special about that one state and nothing drives the rubber band towards it.

Preemptively: Yes some biological process are extremely complex and have a low reaction rate. Yes, most biological processes are non-equilibrium processes. This has absolutely nothing to do with this argument.

I'm in theoretical physics. If you'd read that Kac ring text I link you'd know that even very simple systems only move through a very small part of their state space in relevant times.

EDIT: I looked it up and I passed my nonequilibrium stat mech course summa cum laude.

EDIT2: I guess now I should ask you about your formal education in stat mech too?

The Belgian fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Feb 27, 2016

• Locked thread