Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhitemageofDOOM
Sep 13, 2010

... It's magic. I ain't gotta explain shit.

Phyzzle posted:

Life (all life) is self-aware? No, I don't think so. While concepts like that are hard to define, just about no one would say that self-awareness is a necessary aspect of being alive.

Perception has nothing to do with with self awareness.
And Information in the scientific sense has nothing to do with things like words in a books, you are thinking of meaning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhitemageofDOOM
Sep 13, 2010

... It's magic. I ain't gotta explain shit.

Ytlaya posted:

Your argument is very similar to people who, when discussing faster-than-light travel, say "but 150 years ago we thought airplanes were impossible!" as argument in favor of FTL being possible (I'm referring to things actually moving that fast, not stuff involving wormholes or something). There's a big difference between not yet knowing how to do something and something not making sense on a more fundamental level.

Well we have real valid understandings of the light speed barrier and why it is impassable.
Dark matter & Dark energy are literally things beyond what we can perceive, there indeed could be anything from our limited perspective because we know nothing. While discussing it might not be practical, humanity discusses impractical poo poo all the time.

• Locked thread