Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Yes, but it turns out the information processing embedded in the relations between those chemical reactions have the ability to feel love and watch anime. And I'm all out of anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Wouldn't the selection pressure then come from fire and its use as a kind of 'external digestion', which then lets jaws get smaller?

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Dark Matter did 9/11

Friendly Tumour posted:

Also lmao if you believe that humans seek to compete through procreation. Conflict is a consequence of environmental conditions and base vertabrate nature, not any of this social darwinist nonsence.
But that would be the social nature of humans sort of conflicting with the animal nature, with the social nature kind of ascendant I guess. What I'm really saying is: everyone should sex each other.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

The Belgian posted:

Scientism is a disease; of wich this world must be cleansed.
Actually it's cool and good.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Sorry I missed this one:

The Larch posted:

Scientism is the philosophical position that no statement is true unless it can be empirically or logically verified. This statement cannot be empirically or logically verified.
Scientism is a preference, it does not have to be 'true'. 'Apples are good' is not a statement with a well-defined truth value, it simply expresses my own preference. I value scientism because it is logically consistent, and gives good results.

To correct your position a bit: scientism is the philosophical position that no statement be treated as true unless it can be empirically and logically verified, that that this should be seen as authoritative. Just because you cannot cross the is-ought, doesn't mean scientism is inherently self-contradictory.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Yours is the meta-ethics that will pierce the heavens

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Find a way to cheat entropy, or die trying.

MURCIA.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Lacking any kind of mechanism of god itself being created, you also cannot simply default to that position. Like if RNA forming is rejected because probability, what's the probability of random supernatural intelligence? You'd have an easier time justifying aliens.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
There's a valid point to be had about inference, but the issue is the the kind of undefined nature of spirits and whatnot makes any valid inference almost impossible. If you know that other people exist, and you see some symbols written on a rock, you can infer they're not natural and that someone made them. Even if other people didn't exist, it was just you in the universe, you could infer that that would be proof that someone like you had existed before, or that you did it and forgot about it. But the further you get from what you've already know, the worse it gets. I mean, take the supposition that there is another 'place', which a thing exists in, that can affect this world but we can't do anything to them. What's the probability of that, and how would you infer it? if you had an event that was 1e-40, and hypothesize that that proves the existence of this other place, how do you know the probability of that other 'place' existing isn't 1e-60? or 1e-100? What's your prior, and why is it what it is?

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

RODNEY THE RACEHOR posted:

I Am Feeling Frustrated Regarding This Debate & Discussion
Well I'm sorry you feel that way, but if your talking about the improbability of life occurring, it's kind of necessary to get into 'dice rolling', wouldn't you say? If you have some broader argument about God or whatever, that you feel isn't being addressed, you should make it yourself. Frustration is bad for your health, after all.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Well I'm sure if we can get our hands on a black hole, we'll get some more things to do. I also don't really like assuming proton decay exists, but then pushing back the half-life because you can't find it, but then who am I to judge? Dark matter/energy has got a similar problem, but you can't ignore the math, now can you?

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
But the only real reason it is assumed to exist is because of some mathematical theories where it would be convenient if it did. The fact that we haven't seen it makes it way, way more likely that they're all just wrong in a fundamental way, rather than just baryon decay having a long-rear end half-life. Like no one assumes energy can be destroyed, just that it happens over a really really long time. So what do you have more faith in, the idea that we just haven't observed it yet, or the idea that no one is actually close to a unified theory and it's all just bumbling around in the dark?

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
It's kind of already happened, it's just in the hands of private companies instead of government - so, just as unaccountable as if a dictatorship had done it. A properly accountable government may actually use it for good, but 'earning the right to procreate' is probably not going to be that popular, nor does it actually sound like a good idea, ever.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
What? Ball-sack-sperm-duct values? I'm curious to know what other anatomical parts have, uh, values associated with them, in your mind, but I'll save that for later, and instead ask you why you think its necessary to require people to get permits to get pregnant.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Oh, drat, my mistake, for some reason I didn't pick up that you wanted to insert mechanical valves into the sperm ducts of young men (who, presumably, cannot control them). Maybe my mind just tried to block it out, whatever. In any case, I'm not seeing how giving in to a minority of people, who are insecure about others they see themselves as 'better than' having sex and kids, or generally being alive, is something positive. In fact, I think those kinds of insecure people are selfish, arrogant and generally terrible, and their opinions tend to reflect that. So doing what they don't want might have some merit.

rudatron fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Feb 7, 2016

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
My guess is that the theistic apologia answer is 'a test of faith', but I don't think anyone had much faith in this thread anyway, so I'm not sure that works.

Life is pointless, hail satan, live free and :justpost:

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I'm a scientist, theoretically. Or maybe it's hypothetically?

Friendly Tumour posted:

The balance of nature is a myth perpetrated by kush smoking hippies.
Nature is a disaster, all over the place. What a disaster. A whole ecology of losers. We're gonna build a big, beautiful wall around it.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Pandas will eventually evolve into a parasitic species, sustained only through their symbolic significance to humans and their photogenic cuteness.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Friendly Humour posted:

The word is mutualistic. Parasitism implies harm committed on a specific host.
Symbiote, parasite, the difference is very thin indeed.

Vocal chord parasite

Dineh

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Honestly, it was more about whether nature is cruel or just. So the Nazis saw it as cruel, but decided this mean they themselves could cruel, creationists refuse to acknowledge that cruelty (same with hippies with that gaia poo poo), and everyone else kind of stopped giving a poo poo about nature and tried being human.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Why chase animals when you can just shoot them with a bow, spear, or run them off a loving cliff?

• Locked thread