Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

The Belgian posted:

You're right, for the second part I should have said observer looking at how two objects move relative to eachother, that makes a much clearer case. That doesn't essentially affect what I said though.
You can't directly measure two objects move away from each other FTL.

Phyzzle posted:

Could Conway's Game of Life any Universal Turing Machine contain real life-forms?
ftfy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

The Belgian posted:

Yes, you can; if the movement is due to the expansion or shrinkage of space between them. We said this and it's exactly what your link says.
The essential idea seems to be that the two galaxies seen by the observer are not in the same reference frame because the space between them is expanding at an accelerating rate. Because they are not in the same reference frame, there is no speed of light restriction. The two galaxies sit in their own reference frames and the space between them grows without moving either reference frame.

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jan 17, 2016

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

The Belgian posted:

Yes, that's what we've said repeatedly??
The significance is that the frames of each galaxy are not moving, the space between them is expanding. There is a difference. Nothing is actually moving FTL.

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jan 17, 2016

• Locked thread