Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Humboldt Squid posted:

I don't understand how people can realize things like this and say "only" like it isn't amazing and awe inspiring.

It's probably because that's a subjective judgment arising out of psychological tendencies determined by a complex series of chemical reactions in your brain which are ultimately entirely beyond the control of what you would consider to be your individual "self" (a "self" which might not even actually exist in any meaningful sense).

Beautiful, isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

PT6A posted:

I'm afraid so, yes.

Personally, I find it freeing!

So did I, until I realized I still have to go into work tomorrow.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

rudatron posted:

Yes, but it turns out the information processing embedded in the relations between those chemical reactions have the ability to feel love and watch anime. And I'm all out of anime.

Thank God.

I mean...thank the dice God plays with.

Nevvy Z posted:

I don't believe in free will. It's generally a meaningless belly gazing philosophical thing, but it's the only logical conclusion if you really say yes to this thread.

I genuinely try not to get mad at people for most of their decisions. Which isn't to say I don't get angry all the time, because I'm just as much controlled by my chemistry as you are.

The thing that tipped me over into total acceptance of this idea is actually the stuff I've been learning about how gut bacteria control your life.

I believe in Free Willy because he is a big killer whale and they made a movie about him. Live-action, really didn't look like CGI, pretty sure it was legit.

As for the whole gut bacteria thing, well....let me just say I always wash my hands before I eat, so I don't think that's a problem for me. My gut's squeaky clean.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jan 12, 2016

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Squalid posted:

Interstellar or not, all species will o extinct. The only real question is: What comes next?

I'd have to consult my pastor.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
Everyone ITT needs to read the Qur'an ASAP. I fear for your souls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

zeal posted:

If your god made everything then he's the piece of poo poo that gives kids cancer, and can gently caress off in my opinion. Never asked to be party to his shitshow.

You don't really get a choice in the matter, I'm afraid. Either capitulate or be condemned to eternal suffering. Civil disobedience doesn't work against God, for obvious reasons.

• Locked thread