Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Why the gently caress isn't there a Shameless thread?

It's season 6 so gently caress a recap, if you're not on the train by now you're gonna be binge-watch it after the fact "The Wire" style when everyone tells you how good it was.
Or it'll end and be forgotten.
One way or the other William H. Macy is back as everyone's favorite terrible dad.

e: And I forgot the thread tag.
Terribly appropriate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

I could really do without the Deb sexualization as of the last two seasons. Emma Kenney was 14 for last season and 15 when this season was filmed and between seeing her since she was 9 years old and her still having that baby fatness going on I get reaaaally uncomfortable during her sex scenes.

I don't think he's billed per IMDB for showing up this season but I really want Jimmy Steve back. Diner manager guy just feels pointless.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

yay it's that time of the year again.

Out of all the things at the end of last season the one I am really curious about is what happened to Mickey, we last saw him getting shot at :ohdear:

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I've spent ages waiting for this thread. Showtime made episode one available online for free nearly 2 weeks ago. I liked the episode. As far as this season goes I want more Carl, as close to zero Sammi and Chucky as possible, a little less Fiona relationship drama, and similar levels of Ian and Lip as last season. If they can bring sheila back for a bit that would be nice too.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

The Lord Bude posted:

I've spent ages waiting for this thread. Showtime made episode one available online for free nearly 2 weeks ago. I liked the episode. As far as this season goes I want more Carl, as close to zero Sammi and Chucky as possible, a little less Fiona relationship drama, and similar levels of Ian and Lip as last season. If they can bring sheila back for a bit that would be nice too.

Carl was pretty much the best part of last season, and last episode!

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

DarkCrawler posted:

Carl was pretty much the best part of last season, and last episode!

You could just about stretch that to include season 4 as well. Cutcosky has turned out to be a really good actor, and its great to see that they've taken advantage of that to give him more and more to do.

Also I love what he's done with his hair. The old fashioned irish-y mutton chops really make it.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
Carl is Chicago's version of White Boy Rick that is awesome

Dmitri-9 fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jan 13, 2016

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

on one hand I kind of want to see a brief flashback to Carl's time in Juvi but on the other I get the feeling that it works better with the segment they gave us. We all know he got treated the way he did because he didn't snitch and took his two days so what's left to show outside of some altercations with Chucky's neo-Nazi brethren?

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
For some reason my mom loves this show and keeps suggesting I watch it

Not sure why. She bought me the first season on DVD. Maybe one day I'll watch. Maybe.

I saw the first two episodes of the British version and was impressed by how many of the actors I recognized.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

BottledBodhisvata posted:

For some reason my mom loves this show and keeps suggesting I watch it

Not sure why. She bought me the first season on DVD. Maybe one day I'll watch. Maybe.

I saw the first two episodes of the British version and was impressed by how many of the actors I recognized.

You should stop being like those other TVIV posters and start being like us cool show watchers who watch the show. I swear this show is like the best show that nobody watches, and it's always the least popular thread in TVIV and it kills me every season. Critics love it, everybody outside of TVIV apparently loves it, don't know why more people on the Forums aren't into it.

Aces High posted:

on one hand I kind of want to see a brief flashback to Carl's time in Juvi but on the other I get the feeling that it works better with the segment they gave us. We all know he got treated the way he did because he didn't snitch and took his two days so what's left to show outside of some altercations with Chucky's neo-Nazi brethren?

Yeah they kinda built it up like an "Oh poo poo" moment, like we were going to have an all-out gang war in juvie but then we just skip straight to this season and Carl gets out. Right now all I'm hoping for is that Mickey gets out somehow, although they spent a lot of time with his character in previous seasons so maybe they could put him to rest for a season or so. I imagine they're going to show his life in prison in a few episodes at least though.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I got the impression that seeing Chuckie at the head of a mob of teenage skinheads was supposed to be darkly funny. Then again this show is all about tonal shifts.

Last season finale never showed Micky and Samantha getting arrested, their altercation was just a slapstick backdrop for Ian and Lip reconnecting, but the showed them being shoved in police car in the recap. Was it a deleted scene?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

maybe not a deleted scene, more of a "oh right, yeah what happened there?" sort of thing. I think I missed one of the words Tatjana said to Mickey, is he a prison assassin?

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Aces High posted:

maybe not a deleted scene, more of a "oh right, yeah what happened there?" sort of thing. I think I missed one of the words Tatjana said to Mickey, is he a prison assassin?

Yeah. In exchange for visits from Ian (and half the cut of the money), Mickey's Russian wife assigns him hits to conduct in prison. It's loving hilarious that they argue like an old married couple about taking out the trash. "Alright, alright, in the loving eye! I got it!"

Mickey became the standout character last season and I'll be really sad if he's barely in this season.

I know the point of a drama is to have...drama, but I'd really like a season where the Gallaghers aren't all being such gently caress ups and are more or less banding together against a common threat like Frank or losing their house or Monica, or something like in the earlier seasons. It's just painful to see Fiona, Lip, Ian, and Debbie acting like such monumental idiots season after season. They're all bright individuals who make the worst loving choice and it's hard to watch.

That said, I'm A-OK with every possible misfortune befalling Frank as he usually makes the best of it in the funniest ways.

I agree with Carl becoming an awesome actor and character and looking forward to seeing much more of him.

Fiona's boobs look as great as always. :quagmire: Old professor lady's boobs look fake and gross as always. :barf:

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Anyone else disappointed that Fiona just took Deb's answer of no that she wasn't pregnant at face value and didn't double check? Like come the gently caress on your sister wants to be pregnant double check poo poo. Seems like a lazy way to move the pregnant plot forward.

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

Uh, what do you think Fiona could've done to "double check"? She's barred from getting any information herself.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Botnit posted:

Uh, what do you think Fiona could've done to "double check"? She's barred from getting any information herself.

Does non-disclosure really carry over to legal guardians in cases involving minors? Especially when it's underage pregnancy?

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

Yes, at least in most states, doctors cannot divulge teen pregnancy to parents unless there's abuse or risk of abuse going on, and even then they report to Child Protective Services and not the parent.

They even had the woman tell Fiona in the episode she wasn't allowed into the room unless Deb allowed it.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
That's dumb because then poo poo like this happens. Where some idiot teen decides to keep it.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I've gotta say I was a bit worried going into this about the quality after all this time, but the moment Frank started masturbating in the graveyard I knew this show's still got it.

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

Holyshoot posted:

That's dumb because then poo poo like this happens. Where some idiot teen decides to keep it.

...are you seriously arguing a legal guardian who let a toddler snort a bunch of coke should be able to force Deb into a forced abortion?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I never get tired of people being visibly fed up with Frank's bullshit. No matter what Frank says or does at this point, everybody's so jaded about his presence that they just ignore him.

Everybody except the new local hipsters. I'm sure Frank's going to wind up being some YouTube superstar or the mouthpiece of "authenticity" for all the new hipsters in the neighborhood.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Oh I think those hipsters will have enough of Frank's poo poo, it will just take longer since he is "part of the local culture"

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I meant to make the thread last week before I went out of town and forgot. Just watched the premiere tonight and as expected it was great. Really interested in this thread about Lip possibly becoming a teacher of some sort. His progression through the show has probably been my favorite of any of the cast.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Botnit posted:

...are you seriously arguing a legal guardian who let a toddler snort a bunch of coke should be able to force Deb into a forced abortion?

She didn't do it on purpose or give it to him. And a baby born to deb in that family would be a worthless kid and probably end up a criminal or another dredge on society. My point being, Fiona needs to not trust people so easily. She could have made her sister do a pee stick again. It's not as accurate as the doctor but pretty darn close. Otherwise why sell those things?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

this isn't the first time that something completely outrageous has happened in the show to push the drama forward though, Fiona's drug conviction (iirc from that chat thread) was not actually a criminal offence and she wouldn't have been sentenced to jail time in the real world but they needed that drama so that's what happened. As interesting as drama can be in this show I do think it is better when everyone is banding together to keep the house from being taken by their lovely relatives or everyone is trying to keep Ian sane so here's hoping the pregnancy arc is wrapped up next episode and isn't there for the whole season

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Aces High posted:

this isn't the first time that something completely outrageous has happened in the show to push the drama forward though, Fiona's drug conviction (iirc from that chat thread) was not actually a criminal offence and she wouldn't have been sentenced to jail time in the real world but they needed that drama so that's what happened. As interesting as drama can be in this show I do think it is better when everyone is banding together to keep the house from being taken by their lovely relatives or everyone is trying to keep Ian sane so here's hoping the pregnancy arc is wrapped up next episode and isn't there for the whole season

This please.

Kitiara
Apr 21, 2009
Goddamn Gallaghers, man. I am really enjoying this season, it has brought the humour back, but they could seriously stand to not be quite so hosed up.

With that said, I never thought I would laugh so much at someone dying or at someone getting killed. Oh Shameless. Good to have you back.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.
So Yanis is the best character on TV right, I want more of his struggles against the lesbians trying to take over his neighborhood.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

StoneOfShame posted:

So Yanis is the best character on TV right, I want more of his struggles against the lesbians trying to take over his neighborhood.

Seeing him yelling about "rapefucking the dyke out of them" was one of the most uncomfortable things I've laughed at in a show, which is pretty par for the course with Shameless.

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
:golgo:
In the new episode I recognized that Jewel with the green lettering next to the Roosevelt stop

Also, in case you didn't notice, Yanis is played by Will Sasso

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.
Finished the new episode I hope Yanis is alright

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
These first two episodes have been great overall but I really don't think we needed EVEN MORE pregnancy drama.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Pellisworth posted:

These first two episodes have been great overall but I really don't think we needed EVEN MORE pregnancy drama.

I'll take it if it means more hashtags from Fiona.
#AbortionRules

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Tatsujin posted:

In the new episode I recognized that Jewel with the green lettering next to the Roosevelt stop

Also, in case you didn't notice, Yanis is played by Will Sasso

ha, I went to that Jewel while in college back in early 2000s and I said out loud, "is that the Roosevelt stop?" too. Apparently it hasn't changed much.

Love this show so much but not terribly digging this season yet. Debbie just annoys me now because she went from being a smart kid to being a stupid loving teenager (even though that makes realistic sense). Diner guy and guitar husband both suck. No more Mickie (at least not much). Frank's whining is annoying me as much as it's annoying his family. Ian's storyline is just sad now and I assume will be continuing that path. The bright spots: Kev and V and the lesbo neighbors/Giannis, Carl going crazy gangster, Lip and drunk prof mentor man.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Glad Kev and V are getting an actually happy-ish storyline this season, despite them basically being on another show at this point.

Was anyone else worried Fiona was going to get busted for taking that ativan pill V gave her and thus losing her job? I also hope that...diner guy...what is his name anyway? I hope diner guy doesn't catch some disease and pass it onto Fiona. Hopefully her pee test means she's clean of diseases too.

Glad it looks like Debbie's pregnancy storyline is moving in the direction of ending soon. I also agree that Ian's storyline, though it's just starting out, seems more sad than compelling at this point.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
drat that was one wham episode right there.

I hope early sad Ian story is just a fakeout and he finally gets a storyline that is even remotely happy because gently caress has he been hit hardest by the Gallaghers or what? Last three or so seasons have just been full on :smithicide: for him.

Carl = still best.

Zteuer
Nov 8, 2009
I would watch Ken and V with skanky russian waiter in a Cheers remake.

Oliver Reed
Mar 18, 2014

Show has gone far and beyond any previous line of ridiculousness but it's still extremely funny. I love that they made Fiona pregnant. Nice little twist.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Zteuer posted:

I would watch Ken and V with skanky russian waiter in a Cheers remake.

This is basically the Kev and V show (with guest appearances by Carl and Yanis) for me because I really don't care about any of the other characters. Dylan McDermott is majorly dragging down every scene that he's in and everyone else is cartoonish in an unpalatable way. Like, I can laugh at them when needed, but I can't be arsed to care about them anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Dermot Mulroney =/= Dylan McDermott

• Locked thread