Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

http://web.mit.edu/simsong/www/ugh.pdf

akadajet fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jan 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

itanium was very successful for hp. it was a dreadful failure for intel and everyone else who touched it. most particularly the first itanium, "merced."

what was the advantage itanium had over other architectures? i don't mean x86 but the other architectures that companies had already been using for their 'big iron'

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i guess my question really is why did so many companies buy into itanium and then keep buying itanium even after the initial flop

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
kickbacks and non tech's making purchasing decisions i assume

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
these are separate questions, so i will address them separately

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

what was the advantage itanium had over other architectures? i don't mean x86 but the other architectures that companies had already been using for their 'big iron'

intel was then, as now, the 800 lb gorilla in the semiconductor industry. they could make bigger chips, cheaper, on more advanced process nodes.

hppa/pa-risc was already very competitive. everyone knew that hp was working with intel on a pa-risc competitor. and pentium pro was eating them all alive.

hobbyists barely remember ppro because it was expensive and regular people didn't buy them. but it was a real eye opener for the industry: a $3,000 chip that could humiliate the processors in $50,000 workstations.

intel had declared an interest in conquering RISC, and nobody wanted to bet against intel.

i guess my question really is why did so many companies buy into itanium and then keep buying itanium even after the initial flop

hp was the only company to stick with itanium after its flop nature became apparent.

• ibm sold less than 100 systems, exited ~2001

• dell only sold a handful, exited ~2001

• compaq sold itself to HP before the first chip even dropped, and their proprietary unix was never ported to itanium.

• sgi tried to stay on course with itanium, but it never worked. they consciously chose to put MIPS and IRIX on the shelf in 1997, but didn't make 51% of revenue from Linux/Itanium until well after their first bankruptcy.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

from what I remember of my computer architecture class and other sources, itanium's VLIW architecture was supposed to be super hot poo poo just as soon as they got optimized compilers written for it.

the problem is that a VLIW compiler has to do some pretty intense poo poo and they never really got as good as everyone hoped.

hp ported VMS to itanium though which is kind of cool, even though VMS is the finest metaphor for government bureaucracy ever made (counterpoint: VMS actually functions ok once you figure it out)

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Pham Nuwen posted:

from what I remember of my computer architecture class and other sources, itanium's VLIW architecture was supposed to be super hot poo poo just as soon as they got optimized compilers written for it.

the problem is that a VLIW compiler has to do some pretty intense poo poo and they never really got as good as everyone hoped.

the buzzword was EPIC: Explicitly Parallel Instruction Computing. the idea was that you could move pipelining / scheduling / branch prediction into the compiler, and issue an instruction stream that would maximize the use of functional units

this didn't work at all. not even a little bit. itanium 2, the first chip you could actually buy, was superscalar, defeating the whole point of EPIC.

Pham Nuwen posted:

hp ported VMS to itanium though which is kind of cool, even though VMS is the finest metaphor for government bureaucracy ever made (counterpoint: VMS actually functions ok once you figure it out)

hp sold openvms to a spinoff, VMS Software
http://www.vmssoftware.com/

mission #1: port to x86

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

i installed vms on that alphastation i posted a while back.

life's fun, you had to go to some hp site and request a license for the tcp/ip package iirc. then there were licenses for the compilers and poo poo like that. couldn't use the software until they'd emailed you the hobbyist license.

they didn't seem very big on organization, the system directories were just huge piles of files. maybe it had something to do with using "set def" instead of something simpler like "cd" to change directories... if it's a pain in the rear end nobody wants to bother

elcapjtk
Mar 14, 2005
Some people say I am a terrible person.
At work, sitting to my left is an SGI Octane2 with its bigass CRT monitor. Its brothers, two SGI Octanes, are sitting to my right in a cart.
The reason for this is all three were used in a lab that does protein simulations or something and these three machines somehow have DATA ON THEM THAT IS INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT yet not backed up anywhere.

At home I still have my first for realzies computer, an Acer 486DX. Bastard still works. Have a few various Sun boxes at home along with an old 1/2u gateway server that I should get rid of.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
iirc itanium only really worked great for certain kinds of fortran code that worked well with vector processing or w/e

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
i had a system (dont remember the model) with 4 pentium pro gold cap, it didn't work and it was a mess

someone bought it for 120$ apparently the gold on there is pretty valuable

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Cheap. Just not cheap enough to compete with x64 unsurprisingly enough.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
What computer can I get today that will be fetishized in 20 years despite being overpriced garbage. I don't have the mid six figgies to dump on a $2,000 trash can.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

SYSV Fanfic posted:

What computer can I get today that will be fetishized in 20 years despite being overpriced garbage. I don't have the mid six figgies to dump on a $2,000 trash can.

imac

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Something with a processor architecture that will have lost out to Intel during that time.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

SYSV Fanfic posted:

it'll be the trash can. rare poo poo no one can have is a sure bet for fetishization

the sun desktop i've been trying to get working would have been pretty expensive back in 2000. using the figures from sun's own price list:

A27-ULD4-9V-1024AQ WS U80/4X450,IFB,1GB,18G 30,795.00 H
X7005A OPT MEMORY 512MB (2*256MB) 2,600.00 H
X5240A Opt int Disk 36.4GB/10k USCSI 2,650.00 H

totals out to $54,245. in 2000 dollars. that's like $75k in today's money. for a desktop.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

totals out to $54,245. in 2000 dollars. that's like $75k in today's money. for a desktop.

Person I bought it for better have needed it to finish their work on the philosopher's stone.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

SYSV Fanfic posted:

you want to buy something overpriced but you don't want to pay excessively for it

:rolleye:

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it'll be the trash can.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i'll be the trash can

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
today Weird Stuff had a big rack outside saying "FREE SUN SOFTWARE" so I picked up a complete Sun Developer Essentials for Enterprise package that includes media for Solaris 8 for both SPARC and Intel, as well as the Sun developer tools with a license code that doesn't need to access Sun's old licensing server to be used

also it includes CodeWarrior for Java for Solaris, which should be fun

nB.S.D. (or anyone else) let me know if you want like a Solaris 2.6 or 7 or 8 media set for SPARC, they have a few and I could pick one up to ship you

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

eschaton posted:

today Weird Stuff had a big rack outside saying "FREE SUN SOFTWARE" so I picked up a complete Sun Developer Essentials for Enterprise package that includes media for Solaris 8 for both SPARC and Intel, as well as the Sun developer tools with a license code that doesn't need to access Sun's old licensing server to be used

also it includes CodeWarrior for Java for Solaris, which should be fun

nB.S.D. (or anyone else) let me know if you want like a Solaris 2.6 or 7 or 8 media set for SPARC, they have a few and I could pick one up to ship you

weird stuff and halted are pretty much the only things i miss from the bay area.

those, and easy international flights.

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

compsci dot txt

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

This book changed my life. Poettering is right, sysv compatibility has to die. Or how I learned to stop worrying and love the D.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
surprisingly many hoops to jump through to get Solaris to recognize my SS20's new 147GB SCA disk

had to boot NetBSD 7 from CD, partition the disk with it, and only then would the Solaris 8 (2/02) installer do something besides crash when examining the disk

repartitioning etc. during the install went fine though, and everything is now happily running and building a more modern GCC (4.2.1, last GPLv2) than the 3.x I can get from a SunFreeware archive

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

oh yeah, I'm confused by OpenCSW because I wasn't able to easily find a "this is what we have for Solaris 8" listing, and they talk about 8 being deprecated, it really seems to be for people who are running the latest Solaris

so I'll probably use the SunFreeware bits to bootstrap my own set of packages, which means I should probably learn how to build packages for Solaris… right now I'm just configuring the stuff I build myself with --prefix=/opt/gnu for expedience, once I figure out how to build real packages I can do it right and maybe target a different location

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

oh yeah, I'm confused by OpenCSW because I wasn't able to easily find a "this is what we have for Solaris 8" listing, and they talk about 8 being deprecated, it really seems to be for people who are running the latest Solaris

opencsw used to do releases like a linux distribution. the last version for sol 8 was "dublin." i think sol 9 got at least one more.

http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/opencsw/dublin/sparc/5.8/

edit: looks like they have a precompiled gcc 4.3, so that's cool

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

just helped a coworker resurrect a Fujitsu S-4/Leia2

it was running OPENSTEP 4.2J

eschaton fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jan 27, 2016

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

just helped a coworker resurrect a Fujitsu S-4/Leia2

it was running OPENSTEP 4.2J

you found the only japanese openstep user

i didn't even know there was a japanese localization

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

you found the only japanese openstep user

i didn't even know there was a japanese localization

dude I work at NeXT

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

here’s another user of NeXT software on that SPARC laptop

(sorry if your OS is a POS and can’t just show you a PostScript document)

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

dude I work at NeXT

well now i understand the bizarre defenses for xnu's crimes

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

well now i understand the bizarre defenses for xnu's crimes

I think you mean Mach's superiority to a traditional UNIX design approach

take the moon
Feb 13, 2011

by sebmojo
i always thought amigas were cool but i was too young to experience that scene

they seem like they would have been nice to use

e: i didnt notice this thread was 5 pages somehow and theyve prolly already been discussed

take the moon fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jan 27, 2016

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
get an amiga 500 or 1200 to run demos/listed to modules/play games

don't invest yourself in the "modern" amiga scene and you'll be fine

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
post-commodore amigas are like half a degree removed from fursuits

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I'm not sure it's even that much

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNR5vxAR22A

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Olivil posted:

get an amiga 500 or 1200 to run demos/listed to modules/play games

don't invest yourself in the "modern" amiga scene and you'll be fine

but what about that new FPGA implementation of the 68K that's insanely fast and plugs right in to an A600?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

eschaton posted:

but what about that new FPGA implementation of the 68K that's insanely fast and plugs right in to an A600?

want this for my se/30.

speaking of which, can old rear end macs like the se/30 boot and install the os from CD-ROM, or does that have to be done via floppy? my se/30 has the caddy CD-ROM unit and a lan card and is v. baller

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jan 28, 2016

• Locked thread