Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
gil didn't hire steve before apple bought next

but there was a shootout between be and next for the final decision and JLG didn't bother presenting anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

also the beos ceo was like "I'll sell it for 100 billion dollars" and apple told him to gently caress off

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
jlg is good because he made that verge guy meltdown about his spikey bracelet

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
could've sworn that steve was brought on as a consultant before apple bought next

but IIRC gassee wanted $275 million for be (apple offered $200 million), so apple told him to eat poo poo and then bought next for ~$415 million instead :laugh:

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jan 30, 2016

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

graph posted:

jlg is good because he made that verge guy meltdown about his spikey bracelet

probably the best thing gassee has done since his famous (rumored), "Oh, I guess they're for the emotionally handicapped too." line when he saw steve jobs park in a handicapped parking spot.

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jan 30, 2016

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Doc Block posted:

edit: in fairness, NextStep/OpenStep was a far better operating system and was actually complete instead of being a work in progress like BeOS.

it was also the system with the best overall architecture including kernel out of anything that was being considered

especially since Mach 3.0 and extensions and 4.4 BSD were available to greatly improve the implementation without really affecting the design

Mach ports rule

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

next was also a "real company" with $50m in revenues and had WebObjects which seemed like a good idea at the time

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

~Coxy posted:

next was also a "real company" with $50m in revenues and had WebObjects which seemed like a good idea at the time

and turns out it was, since even shaggar's favorite framework implements basically the same architecture

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
IIRC wasn't Craig Federighgihi the head WebObjects guy at NeXT, but then when Apple switched it from Objective-C to Java he noped the gently caress out and quit, only to get rehired later?

edit: according to Wikipedia, basically. He quit in 1999 when Apple made WebObjects Java-only, then came back in 1999 to work on OS X.

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jan 30, 2016

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

~Coxy posted:

i don't think the failure of WO had much to do with WO itself

apple didn't have a lot of legs as a company hawking middleware to developers. it was just not even close to on-brand. no credibility

then, later, the bottom dropped out of the market. when was the last time you heard someone ask his boss for tuxedo / websphere / jboss licenses?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Doc Block posted:

IIRC wasn't Craig Federighgihi the head WebObjects guy at NeXT, but then when Apple switched it from Objective-C to Java he noped the gently caress out and quit, only to get rehired later?

edit: according to Wikipedia, basically. He quit in 1999 when Apple made WebObjects Java-only, then came back in 1999 to work on OS X.

the webobjects java stuff started in 1996
the objectiveC crap wasn't dumped until 2001

timeline doesn't work

also objC had precisely 0 advantages for a web application. they dropped objC support because it was unwanted. nobody was gonna learn a new language for no benefit.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
hey wanna hear something funny? here it is: telescript

quote:

Telescript programs used a modified C-like syntax known as High Telescript, and were compiled to a stack-based language called Low Telescript for execution. Low Telescript ran within virtual machine interpreters, or "Telescript engines", on host computers.

The basic model of Telescript is similar to Java, and differs primarily in where the applications would run. Java was modelled to make it possible to download Java applications onto any platform and run them locally. Telescript essentially reversed this, allowing end-user equipment with limited capabilities to upload Telescript programs to servers to allow them to take advantage of the server's capabilities. Telescript could even migrate a running program; the language included features to marshal a program's code and serialized state, transfer it to another Telescript engine (on a device or a server) to continue execution, and finally return to the originating client or server device to deliver its output.

quote:

Telescript was modelled on the concept of small programs known as agents that would interact with computing services known as places all of which would run on a cluster of one or more servers that hosted what was called a Telescript cloud. The user's handheld device was one such place, albeit one with limited capabilities. The model assumed that most information and services would be provided by places running on larger server computers hosted by the communications providers like AT&T.

"hey let's make the user upload software and run it on a remote server to do accomplish any task, this sounds like a great idea. then they can get the software back and run it themselves when they're done"

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
one of my favorite computers, the HP 50g graphing calculator. it came out ten years ago, so its not "old" in an age sense, but its old in usefulness. why would you use this thing if you have a modern computer? i don't have a good reason for you other than :sperg:

anyways, this thing is sick. look at the features this bad boy boasts,

• RPN entry
  • SD-card slot
  • Built-in assembler
  • 75 MHz Samsung S3C2410A[11] (ARM920T core) [thikipedia]
  • comes with a sweet padded carrying case
  • USB Port
  • IR port
  • Keys feel real nice
  • 131×80 pixels display
  • 2 MiB flash memory, 512 KiB RAM

they're discontinued now, and really undervalued in my opinion. $57 fuckin dollars, i bought a backup one just now http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GTPRPS

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
gotta love that godawful mid-00s hp branding and font

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
yeah a hp50g with the enter key in the right place and the right kind of keys and hp48sx style case would have been too perfect for this world. while i'm calc sperging, the hp 35s is a very good calculator, and is actually a lot more usable than the 50g. its keys feel nice, its enter key is in the correct position, and it also comes in a case that lets everyone know just how much of a dork you are.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i wonder why the graphing calculators didn't end up in the agilent side of the business

if they had, they would probably still be in production. and $500 apiece

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the webobjects java stuff started in 1996
the objectiveC crap wasn't dumped until 2001

timeline doesn't work

also objC had precisely 0 advantages for a web application. they dropped objC support because it was unwanted. nobody was gonna learn a new language for no benefit.

WebObjects was a descendent of Enterprise Objects, an Objective-C framework meant to make it easy for enterprise desktop apps to connect to databases and such.

WebObjects kept the Objective-C stuff initially but also added Java support.

Supposedly, a lot of the things that made WebObjects great for the time were made possible by Objective-C's dynamism, and apparently when they made it Java from top to bottom they removed things even Java WebObjects people liked. Or so I've been told, I never used WebObjects.

According to Wikipedia, Federighi was head of Enterprise Objects at NeXT, and stayed on after the Apple buyout until 99.

So about the time Apple stopped caring about WebObjects.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Doc Block posted:

apple still uses webobjects. they only stopped selling it in the recent past.

i wouldn't say apple stopped caring, it's just that the outside world never gave a poo poo at any point

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
what I meant was that Apple stopped caring about selling it to people

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
this is kind of a chicken/egg problem

which started first: apple's indifference to enterprise sales, or enterprise customers' disinterest in apple software products

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i wonder why the graphing calculators didn't end up in the agilent side of the business

if they had, they would probably still be in production. and $500 apiece

by Keysight

and they'd be worth every goddamn penny

(still have and use the HP48SX I got in 1991 or so)

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Doc Block posted:

WebObjects was a descendent of Enterprise Objects, an Objective-C framework meant to make it easy for enterprise desktop apps to connect to databases and such.

p close, WebObjects is actually a peer to AppKit, a couple people at NeXT realized in 1992-3 that the same techniques used to interact with databases and bind objects to native UI could be used for request-response web stuff too

quote:

WebObjects kept the Objective-C stuff initially but also added Java support.

this was feasible as of Java 1.1, which added the necessary support to the runtime to instantiated classes and invoke methods by name

quote:

Supposedly, a lot of the things that made WebObjects great for the time were made possible by Objective-C's dynamism, and apparently when they made it Java from top to bottom they removed things even Java WebObjects people liked. Or so I've been told, I never used WebObjects.

that's what a lot of ObjC partisans were afraid of and claimed quite loudly but it's not actually the case

in the ground-up WO5 reimplementation in Java, all of the dynamism was retained, new dynamic stuff like the awesome rule system was added, and we got the huge advantage of being able to deploy without any sort of special runtime beyond a couple jar or war files (no native libraries required)

quote:

According to Wikipedia, Federighi was head of Enterprise Objects at NeXT, and stayed on after the Apple buyout until 99.

Craig left to start a company that basically created "B2B," based on WO, and it was rather successful

I believe we shipped WebObjects through Snow Leopard and Xcode 3.2 in 2009 (if not then we last shipped it in Leopard and Xcode 3.0 in 2007, maybe with Xcode 3.1 in 2008)

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Doc Block posted:

what I meant was that Apple stopped caring about selling it to people

there were two stages of this

first was the price drop to $699/license from around that for development and Oracle-scale prices for deployment

then we stopped selling it entirely as of Xcode 2, the dev tools were just included with Xcode and deployment included with Mac OS X Server

I don't recall if there was a period where you had to pay for a deployment license on another platform if you didn't want to deploy on Server, I think once we made it free-with-Xcode you could actually deploy for free too

you can actually still download and use Xcode 3.0 or 3.1 free and get WebObjects and do whatever with it, there's a whole community still even publishing bug fixes and enhancements (since it's not obfuscated), it's just no longer supported

e: looks like the last public release was WebObjects 5.4.3 for Xcode 3.1 and Mac OS X 10.5, and which can be downloaded separately without having to grab all of Xcode too (it says it's an update but it has the full frameworks)

eschaton fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jan 30, 2016

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
an open source webobjects would be really cool

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
LOL

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
a rare dell :eyepop:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

even though precisions are the beefiest, nicest made dells outside of servers, lol at charging more than scrap value for that

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Both hard drives have been wiped. Has Windows NT...

[more]

... sticker on the front.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

at my first job I had the P4 version that that tower

christ it was bad

especially the front usb ports at a 45 degree angle

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I just realized that there are now adults who were born after USB was an implemented thing.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Citizen Tayne posted:

I just realized that there are now adults who were born after USB was an implemented thing.

that feel when there's only a 25 pin serial port available and your 9<-->25 pin adapter is a null modem and you dont wanna rewire it, but you can, if radio shack is closed already.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

should I run mac os 8 or 9 when I get this ibook

or X I guess

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

~Coxy posted:

especially the front usb ports at a 45 degree angle

and upside-down, because extra-gently caress-you!

i dont care what anyone says those style of dell towers were loving garbage

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I forgot about that

what garbage

iirc the optiplexes at the place I used to work also had upside down front ports

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

Silver Alicorn posted:

should I run mac os 8 or 9 when I get this ibook

or X I guess

iirc you can go up to os x 10.4 but idk (if u mean the firewire clamshells)

you can only have a maximum of 576 MB of ram and its kinda slow running 10.4 but u can try it

i think only a very few early production ibooks can run anything less that os9 anyway

just go w/ os 9.22

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

when I was using my no-firewire clamshell as a daily driver I think I had some kind of linux on it. I want to say gentoo

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

you know how power drivers are hosed up on x86 linux? suspend/resume not working half the time etc? ppc linux was rock solid in that regard

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I also daily drove a g4 powerbook for a while. one of the titanium ones. I also had verizon for mobile data tethering through my phone. I had to run mac-on-linux to run the verizon program to connect to the phone, then use internet connection sharing to get the connection out to linux.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

a sweet addition to my useless old computer poo poo collection, i'm spurtin here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

Silver Alicorn posted:

when I was using my no-firewire clamshell as a daily driver I think I had some kind of linux on it. I want to say gentoo

i remember yellow dog linux being a thing for those ibooks

i think the local compusa had it on one of their display ibooks back in the day

• Locked thread