Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JohnGalt
Aug 7, 2012

Rand alPaul posted:

As someone who lives in Oklahoma and suffers through daily earthquakes I would like to thank Saudi Arabia for loving with frackers.

Although I feel like if Saudi Arabia doesn't drive them into bankruptcy, the class action lawsuits certainly will. They're causing billions of dollars worth of damage to buildings.

You're conflating fracing and waste water disposal. While they are related, they are not the same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Would there be waste water disposal without fracking? Are the waste water disposal companies entirely separate from fracking companies, sharing no legal responsibilities? Are you just being pedantic?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Mozi posted:

Would there be waste water disposal without fracking? Are the waste water disposal companies entirely separate from fracking companies, sharing no legal responsibilities? Are you just being pedantic?

While fracing is why there is so many wastewater disposal wells, but one can frac without using disposal wells.

JohnGalt
Aug 7, 2012

Mozi posted:

There would still be waste water disposal without fracing (please stop using a "k", you're triggering me), but it wouldn't be anywhere near the volume currently experienced. There is still legal responsibility for the waste, because waste generators are responsible from cradle to grave. I really don't know if the earthquakes are the legal responsibility of waste generators, that seems like quite the stretch.

Much of the peer reviewed literature on injection disposal seems to indicate that the lack of state regulation on proximity of injection operations (within the same target formation) is the issue. There are limits to volume rates per facility, but no thought is put into how these facilities pressurize the formation overall.

There could definitely be fracing with very little fluid disposal. In the Appalachian basin, it is pretty common practice to mix off production water into the next frac. It doesn't totally eliminate the need (due to TNORM or components that may interfere with completions), but it is significantly reduced. Why this isn't done in OK, I have no idea. I don't have experience there.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

JohnGalt posted:

There could definitely be fracing with very little fluid disposal. In the Appalachian basin, it is pretty common practice to mix off production water into the next frac. It doesn't totally eliminate the need (due to TNORM or components that may interfere with completions), but it is significantly reduced. Why this isn't done in OK, I have no idea. I don't have experience there.

Pretty sure a big issue in OK is that the basin is very wet, so they may already be mixing production water back into the next frac, but there just is too much water to use up. But I may be mixing up drunken conversations in my memory.

JohnGalt
Aug 7, 2012

Trabisnikof posted:

Pretty sure a big issue in OK is that the basin is very wet, so they may already be mixing production water back into the next frac, but there just is too much water to use up. But I may be mixing up drunken conversations in my memory.

It is definitely possible. Especially with the recent downturn causing completion projects to dry up. Again, I don't know about that particular region's issues.

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

It's probably an economic decision. A lot of this stuff is regulated at the state level causing variances. You can't just reuse waste water, it needs treatment, so if your costs of disposal and aquiring suitable water are lower than treatment, off you go.

Plus the Atlantic side does not have the abundance of porous formations found in the mid continent, making suitable injection locations harder to find.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

JohnGalt posted:

There would still be waste water disposal without fracing (please stop using a "k", you're triggering me), but it wouldn't be anywhere near the volume currently experienced. There is still legal responsibility for the waste, because waste generators are responsible from cradle to grave. I really don't know if the earthquakes are the legal responsibility of waste generators, that seems like quite the stretch.
Well, there's a difference between is and ought. If it can be shown that the waste water disposal is shown to be the likely cause of some earthquakes then clearly they should be held legally responsible.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Zeroisanumber posted:

Chevron (CVX) is down 1% today and oil dropped below $30/bbl again before settling at $30.22. Gonna wait until it falls below $30 and stays there at close and then buy, buy, buy!

Also, the Russians have to revise their budget because they forecast at $50/bbl so lol.

They may have to trim off the invasion of a country to survive the winter.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Thanks, that was informative. This is actually the first time I've seen it referred to as 'fracing,' so the industry has a ways to go in pushing that nomenclature...

VVV I've found that line is drawn in whether you use 'fracking' as a synonym for the other f word.

Mozi fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jan 14, 2016

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
I've seen 50 year old drilling notes with "frac" or "frac'ing", it just didn't enter the general public's awareness that way. Using/not using the K does tend to instantly highlight which "side" you're on, as stupid as that sounds.

JohnGalt
Aug 7, 2012

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Well, there's a difference between is and ought. If it can be shown that the waste water disposal is shown to be the likely cause of some earthquakes then clearly they should be held legally responsible.

I guess you're free to believe that. The cumulative formation impact that is causing this is not really a problem the waste generator can control though, especially when there are many entities dealing with each other. The only way to solve it by blaming fracing would be to have some sort of organized distribution of waste with allocations per facility. It sounds really convulted and it would be much easier to regulate disposal wells better.

Mozi posted:

Thanks, that was informative. This is actually the first time I've seen it referred to as 'fracing,' so the industry has a ways to go in pushing that nomenclature...

VVV I've found that line is drawn in whether you use 'fracking' as a synonym for the other f word.

PR for E&P companies is terrible.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

JohnGalt posted:

I guess you're free to believe that. The cumulative formation impact that is causing this is not really a problem the waste generator can control though, especially when there are many entities dealing with each other. The only way to solve it by blaming fracing would be to have some sort of organized distribution of waste with allocations per facility. It sounds really convulted and it would be much easier to regulate disposal wells better.
The fact that responsibility is divided does not really seem particularly relevant to me. Dumping industrial waste in an unsafe manner doesn't become fine just because "everyone else is doing it".

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The fact that responsibility is divided does not really seem particularly relevant to me. Dumping industrial waste in an unsafe manner doesn't become fine just because "everyone else is doing it".

But they're not doing it in an unsafe manner. That's the whole deal. No single well is causing this. No one operator can shut off and have the earthquakes stop. Likewise, one injection well wouldn't have the same impact that this many does. It needs better regulation as a group.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

But they're not doing it in an unsafe manner. That's the whole deal. No single well is causing this. No one operator can shut off and have the earthquakes stop. Likewise, one injection well wouldn't have the same impact that this many does. It needs better regulation as a group.
Well, of course it needs to be regulated at a group level, but I still don't buy the "it's safe if it's just one" excuse, since everyone is perfectly aware that it isn't just one doing it. Like, if you had a great big communal waste tank that everyone just dumped their poo poo in, and eventually the strain of keeping it all in resulted in the tank bursting and flooding the surrounding area, the excuse of "Well, the tank would have held up fine if everyone else hadn't used it too!" would be equally as weak.

JohnGalt
Aug 7, 2012
It's not dumping waste. It's literally the safest way to dispose of fluid waste.

Let's look at the current issue in OK. Each disposal facility has limits on how much they can pump (I'm not sure if this is a volume restriction or a pressure restriction in OK). The idea is that the fluid pumped downhole has to difuse throughout the formation so that the pore pressure (the pressure the fluid exerts) does not overcome the confining pressure enough to allow movement.

This is okay when there isn't a huge volume being disposed because it never reached the point where it caused a lot of earthquakes. The problem is in the interwell formation. When multiple wells in proximity pump at there maximum allowed rate and the fluid diffuses throughout the formation, it creates higher than expected pressures in the space between the wells.

In your scenario, where the generators are the responsible party, each generator has to know all the fluid going to the facilities they use, as well as all of the other facilities fluid volumes. Short of some sort of collusion to shut out some wells (which is illegal) waste generators don't have the tools to even deal with this issue.

It's going to be much more effective to have regulation on injection wells.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

JohnGalt posted:

It's not dumping waste. It's literally the safest way to dispose of fluid waste.

Let's look at the current issue in OK. Each disposal facility has limits on how much they can pump (I'm not sure if this is a volume restriction or a pressure restriction in OK). The idea is that the fluid pumped downhole has to difuse throughout the formation so that the pore pressure (the pressure the fluid exerts) does not overcome the confining pressure enough to allow movement.

This is okay when there isn't a huge volume being disposed because it never reached the point where it caused a lot of earthquakes. The problem is in the interwell formation. When multiple wells in proximity pump at there maximum allowed rate and the fluid diffuses throughout the formation, it creates higher than expected pressures in the space between the wells.

In your scenario, where the generators are the responsible party, each generator has to know all the fluid going to the facilities they use, as well as all of the other facilities fluid volumes. Short of some sort of collusion to shut out some wells (which is illegal) waste generators don't have the tools to even deal with this issue.

Still not sure how this changes the fact that their collective actions cause earthquakes. Like, I get that the whole regulatory structure around the thing isn't great, but lack of proper regulations shouldn't be the same as lack of responsibility.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Still not sure how this changes the fact that their collective actions cause earthquakes. Like, I get that the whole regulatory structure around the thing isn't great, but lack of proper regulations shouldn't be the same as lack of responsibility.

Have you literally never heard of the concept of "the tragedy of the commons" because that seems to be the stumbling block you can't get over.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

Have you literally never heard of the concept of "the tragedy of the commons" because that seems to be the stumbling block you can't get over.
Is that really applicable here? You have companies acting in their own rational self-interest sure, but it's against the interests of not their own group as a whole, but of another group entirely. (That being residents in whatever area they're operating.) And even if it was applicable I'm not sure why it would matter? The tragedy of the commons isn't some perfect defense against acting in an irresponsible manner.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

The proper response to the tragedy of the commons isn't just to let the pasture be grazed to oblivion. Recognizing that all the shepherds bear responsibility for the crisis is a prerequisite for action.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Squalid posted:

The proper response to the tragedy of the commons isn't just to let the pasture be grazed to oblivion. Recognizing that all the shepherds bear responsibility for the crisis is a prerequisite for action.

Yes, which is why they need to be further regulated.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Is that really applicable here? You have companies acting in their own rational self-interest sure, but it's against the interests of not their own group as a whole, but of another group entirely. (That being residents in whatever area they're operating.) And even if it was applicable I'm not sure why it would matter? The tragedy of the commons isn't some perfect defense against acting in an irresponsible manner.

Most of those people are residents too. But if quakes shut down production, that's bad for everyone.

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The problem is that you need to prove in court that company x's actions caused your damage, and that company y's actions weren't an intervening cause. That's not going an easy thing to do.

That said, it's probably not going to matter much. A curious consequence of our environmental laws is that we discourage large, responsible companies from doing this kind of thing.

JohnGalt
Aug 7, 2012

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It's really easy to get caught up in a fervor to "make em pay", but what mechanism are you going to do that with? They didn't operate the injection wells, so they aren't directly responsible. They had no control over that process. They're still liable for that waste if is released, but I doubt you could make that stick for earthquakes.

However, I get that is not what you're saying. You're saying out of some sort of fairness, they should pay. Although, out of the same idea of fairness, they had no ability, mechanism, or recourse to prevent this issue in the first place.

If you don't like oil and gas, in general, you can argue that point separate from this issue. It just doesn't seem to hold up here.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

JohnGalt posted:

Amusingly exactly the opposite problem from what got Texas to tightly regulate production back in 1919.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
How do you know Company A's cigarette caused your lung cancer? :smugdog: Case dismissed.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

Yes, which is why they need to be further regulated.

Most of those people are residents too. But if quakes shut down production, that's bad for everyone.

Then what is everyone arguing about? It sounds like we all agree.

JohnGalt posted:

Sounds like a decent response.

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013

Rand alPaul posted:

How do you know Company A's cigarette caused your lung cancer? :smugdog: Case dismissed.

Historically, smokers have lost those cases (due to assumption-of-the-risk defenses, but also causation). The legal innovation was direct suits by government insurance agencies.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
This is interesting: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/12100609/Glimmers-of-hope-for-oil-as-Russia-poised-to-slash-output.html

quote:

The first signs of a thaw are emerging for the battered oil market after Russia signalled a sharp fall in exports this year, a move that may offset the long-feared surge of supply from Iran.
The oil-pipeline monopoly Transneft said Russian companies are likely to cut crude shipments by 6.4pc over the course of 2016, based on applications submitted so far by Lukoil, Rosneft, Gazprom and other producers.
This amounts to a drop of 460,000 barrels a day (b/d), enough to eliminate a third of the excess supply flooding the world and potentially mark the bottom of the market. Russia is the world’s biggest producer of oil, and has been exporting 7.3m b/d over recent months.
Transneft told journalists in Moscow that tax changes account for some of the fall but economic sanctions are also beginning to inflict serious damage. External credit is frozen and drillers cannot easily import equipment and supplies.
New projects have been frozen and output from the Soviet-era fields in western Siberia is depleting at an average rate of 8pc to 11pc each year. Russia's deputy finance minister, Maxim Oreshkin, told news agency TASS that the oil price crash could lead to “hard and fast closures in coming months”.
What is unclear is whether the production cuts are purely driven by markets or whether it is in part a political move to pave the way for a deal with Saudi Arabia. Opec stated in December that it is too small to act alone and will not cut production unless non-Opec states join the effort to stabilize the market, a plea clearly directed at Russia.

Kremlin officials insist publicly that they cannot tell listed Russian companies what to do, and claim that Siberian weather makes it harder to switch supply on and off. Oil veterans say there are ways to cut quietly if president Vladimir Putin gives the order.
Helima Croft, from RBC Capital Markets, said the expected cuts could be the first steps towards an accord. “As the economic reality of lower oil prices begins to bite, perhaps Putin will push for a course correction and reach a deal with the Saudis. It would certainly upend the current conventional wisdom that Opec is down for the count," she said.
Russia has a strong incentive to strike a deal. Anton Siluanov, the finance minister, said the Kremlin is drawing up drastic plans to slash spending by 10pc, warning that the country’s reserve fund may run dry by the end of the year. “We have decided not to touch defence spending for now,” he said.
The budget deficit is running near 5pc of GDP at current oil prices, yet the country lacks an internal bond market and cannot borrow abroad.

The oil markets have so far shrugged off the news from Moscow, focusing on the more immediate glut. Short positions on the derivatives markets remain extremely stretched, but this creates the conditions for a vicious "short squeeze" if sentiment turns.
Brent crude is hovering near 11-year lows at $30.50, while Saudi Arab light is trading in Asia at $24.57, and Basra heavy is down to $17.77. The cheapest West Canadian is selling at $16.30.
Markets are bracing for the certain decision to lift sanctions against Iran next week, a move that will open the way for a burst of Iranian supply by March.
David Fyfe, from the Swiss-based oil traders Gunvor, said Tehran is likely to tread carefully at first. “They don’t want to crater the market. We think they will work up to 500,000 b/d by the end of the year,” he said.
While Iran has 30m to 40m barrels sitting in tankers offshore, this is mostly ultra-light or condensate. It is hard to sell quickly and will not have much effect on the crude price.
Mr Fyfe said the futures markets are pricing crude at $35 or lower through 2016, below the crucial cash cost in large parts of the world. “At this sort of level people are going to be scratching their heads asking whether they can really afford to keep producing,” he said.

The paradox of the market is that although inventories are at record highs there is little spare production capacity by historical standards, creating the risk of a violent spike later once the glut has been digested and the Saudis have knocked out enough rivals.
“We’re heading toward a short supply situation unfortunately, “ said Harold Hamm, head of the US shale driller Continental Resources.
“That’s going to get very concerning in the latter part of the year,” he told the Wall Street Journal. Mr Hamm said prices will this jump later this year to $60.
Oil demand rose 1.7m b/d last year – the second highest pace in a decade - and is still rising more briskly than widely supposed. Chi Zhang from Barclays said China’s imports of crude surged to a record 7.8m b/d in December as the country continued to fill its strategic reserve.
Ms Croft said the market is likely to tighten in the second half of the year despite the return of Iran, arguing that there are very few spots in the world other than Libya able to crank up output quickly
“We remain of the view that many of the bearish macro factors appear overblown. Current market conditions are setting the market up for a supply shortfall for the coming years, which is not accurately priced into the forward curve,” she said.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
Oil crashed through the $30 barrel today, and its now looking at crashing through $29, Brent keeps going through the $29 point and back out again.

At least its the Weekend soon so the traders can be calm for a few days.

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich
The types of earthquakes caused by fracking are virtually imperceptible to people- who gives a gently caress if the number of 2-3.0 earthquakes is vastly higher it's utterly irrelevant. Fracking just seems like one of those issues where the strongest arguments against is are "the other party likes it", because there's no legitimate argument against fracking where the wastewater is properly handled.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

TROIKA CURES GREEK posted:

The types of earthquakes caused by fracking are virtually imperceptible to people- who gives a gently caress if the number of 2-3.0 earthquakes is vastly higher it's utterly irrelevant. Fracking just seems like one of those issues where the strongest arguments against is are "the other party likes it", because there's no legitimate argument against fracking where the wastewater is properly handled.

But it is a real question if all states are ready to regulate such a complex process, especially in states without a history of O&G development. Small, fly-by-night operators can do real damage when local regulators can't or won't regulate effectively.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Isn't that more to do with as many countries as possibly trying to source their oil & gas from anywhere that isn't Russia now?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

TROIKA CURES GREEK posted:

I think I might've found an issue.

JohnGalt
Aug 7, 2012

Trabisnikof posted:

But it is a real question if all states are ready to regulate such a complex process, especially in states without a history of O&G development. Small, fly-by-night operators can do real damage when local regulators can't or won't regulate effectively.

I think it might be a little backwards here. Regulations in relatively new boom states like PA and OH are have MUCH stricter regulations than OK and TX. There is a reason TAFT (This aint loving texas) is a phrase.

Also, unconventional operations really can't be fly by night. A single well is going to require over 5.5 million in initial investment. Any company willing to put that kind of investment isn't fly by night. The mom and pop operators of conventional assest have much lower oversight because it isn't the focus of public afternoon and therefore get away with murder.

The PA threshold for reporting of fluid release to ground is 3 gallons in a 24 hour period. Most fluids in that quantity do not even have a real environmental impact.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

JohnGalt posted:

I think it might be a little backwards here. Regulations in relatively new boom states like PA and OH are have MUCH stricter regulations than OK and TX. There is a reason TAFT (This aint loving texas) is a phrase.

Also, unconventional operations really can't be fly by night. A single well is going to require over 5.5 million in initial investment. Any company willing to put that kind of investment isn't fly by night. The mom and pop operators of conventional assest have much lower oversight because it isn't the focus of public afternoon and therefore get away with murder.

The PA threshold for reporting of fluid release to ground is 3 gallons in a 24 hour period. Most fluids in that quantity do not even have a real environmental impact.

Those regulations were passed after the industry hosed up already in many instances. There weren't prexisiting regulations in place when the basins we're opening up.

You're forgetting it's a complex supply chain. Sure, the whole operation is more complex than just sticking a pumpjack somewhere so maybe fly by night wasn't correct. But even small and medium sized operators have huge incentives to cut corners in this price environment. Then we get the contractors who can be even more incentivized to cut costs. The water trucking company, the injection well owners, the man camp with an illegal septic system, etc. All related to develop and in need of regulation.

JohnGalt
Aug 7, 2012

Trabisnikof posted:

Those regulations were passed after the industry hosed up already in many instances. There weren't prexisiting regulations in place when the basins we're opening up.

Off the top of my head I can't think of any states that had no oil and gas extraction prior to the advent of unconventionals. I get your point though, those regulations were not capable of handling the new boom so I will shut up about that.

Trabisnikof posted:

You're forgetting it's a complex supply chain. Sure, the whole operation is more complex than just sticking a pumpjack somewhere so maybe fly by night wasn't correct. But even small and medium sized operators have huge incentives to cut corners in this price environment. Then we get the contractors who can be even more incentivized to cut costs. The water trucking company, the injection well owners, the man camp with an illegal septic system, etc. All related to develop and in need of regulation.

A 'small' operator is still going to have to be a company with market cap/potential market of 50-100 million dollars. Having worked for both a large independent and a small company, there isn't a huge difference other than large companies spend money on a lot of stuff that isn't useful.

On site activities are the responsibility of the operator. I'm not sure where you are going with regulating contractors outside of existing regulation framework (DOT, code enforcement, etc).

E:v can you source that? I'm not a seismologist, but short of that earthquake originating directly under the structure and the structure having a terrible foundation, it seems an exaggeration. Otherwise magnitude 4-5 earthquakes (10-100 times more powerful) would have brought down every brick building in OK at this point.

JohnGalt fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jan 15, 2016

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
3.0 earthquakes can severely damage brick buildings.

Which is not a problem because you don't build brick buildings in earthquake zones, but then some oil company makes it a earthquake zone.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
What research has been done that connects fracking to earthquakes, and if there is a connection, is it inherent to fracking or is the problem also present in non-fracked wells?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Volkerball posted:

What research has been done that connects fracking to earthquakes, and if there is a connection, is it inherent to fracking or is the problem also present in non-fracked wells?

Its more the injection wells that cause the earthquakes and the science is in the phase of "we're very sure injection wells are causing earthquakes, but we don't know the direct relationships between an earthquake and the specific wells"

Here's an infographic about injections wells:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

I've heard you can get similar earthquake problems with geothermal power plants. Which is unsurprising because they also sometimes involve pumping huge quantities of water out of and into aquifers.

• Locked thread