Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Wayne posted:

Interesting, good luck with that! :patriot: My brother and I stream on Tuesdays so I can't watch the whole thing, but I'll try to be there around start-up time to hang out and see if you need any help. My first stream was quite the comedy of errors. :sweatdrop:

Are you planning on switching from a traditional LP to a stream archive kind of thing, or is this a one-off? I'm a sucker for Souls content so I'd probably watch either way, but it is a different feel; there are a lot of people who will only watch streams live and only watch things on YT if they're higher-effort than a stream they didn't see (since you miss out on the interaction factor). You might consider starting a new character with a different build than Mme. Wu, like magic or something; just to try it out and get some practice for the "actual" LP (plus you might get lucky and get viewers who want to vote on that stuff, and getting involved like that might encourage them to stay). Just a thought!

I'd say since this is his first blind playthrough of the game, he probably shouldn't split his efforts. Gotta keep the person playing the game in mind too :v:

A new character would be for if they were not going to have the stream footage availble for later viewing. Or if Grimwit just really felt like it.

I just figure "Second character! For my first blind game. on camera" would be better served for once they at least have both bells under their belt. It's not like his current build is hosed over or anything, and Magic Builds involve more thought and side stats than wanting to just try whatever cool weapon you find.

I can understand the aesthetic desire to see a blind streamer try magic or underdressed ninjas though. Rather than the common inclination towards Quality+Pyromancy due to how user friendly those are. (And maybe 15 Int so they can cast Fall Control).

EDIT: Oh hello new page. Have the relevant OP quote.

Grimwit posted:

Alright, Ya'll
Tomorrow, I'm going to try and stream.

My man, Darth_Walrus (a Twitch'er? Twitch'ite? Twitch'eater?) set me up a simple layout for OBS Studio.
I plan on playing Dark Souls, getting past Blight Town, then uploading the result onto youtubes in chunks.
Maybe two hours worth of play, I donno.

Festivities will start at 8 Maryland time (7 Central)

I'll link right before I stream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Those eyes! That hair! You're like a movie star! I must take your picture!

Wayne posted:

Are you planning on switching from a traditional LP to a stream archive kind of thing, or is this a one-off?

For now, this is a test to see how things go.
My New Years Resolution was to finish Dark Souls by the end of the year, but one 30 min video a week isn't going to cut that.
This way, I'll cover more ground faster.

I hope to split the full stream up into chunk on YT, but also cut a "What You Missed" highlight reel.

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Starting the Stream on the Twitchyest of Twitches.
We'll see how well this goes.

Linky to Doom

Edit: That was pretty fun.
So far, they look okay in my video editor.
I'll edit and render as soon as I have time and upload to youtubes.
Thanks for visiting while I ran on a hamster wheel, beat up naked women with axes, and defended my computer from my cat.

Grimwit fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Apr 6, 2016

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Tri-Tri-Tri-TRIPLE POST COMBO!

Tomorrow, I'll collect together the highlights tomorrow, but for now, here's the full stream in four parts.

Part 13: So... Bees.
Part 14: Climbing the Tower
Part 15: Madam Wu Hu's Circles in Blight Town
Part 16: Men with Rocks

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Grimwit posted:

Tomorrow, I'll collect together the highlights tomorrow, but for now, here's the full stream in four parts.

Definitely stuff worth a highlights reel in there.

Get it. Reel. Because they rotate like-I'll show myself out.

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

He who fights too long against dragons becomes a dragon himself

Grimwit posted:

My New Years Resolution was to finish Dark Souls by the end of the year, but one 30 min video a week isn't going to cut that.
This way, I'll cover more ground faster.

Gotcha, makes sense. :) Yeah, my first time beating Dark Souls I clocked in something like 60 hours (granted, I did a lot of farming because I didn't know about dupe glitching yet and I had to try basically every cool weapon that dropped :v: ), even with judicious editing that would take a couple updates a week to do, heh.

I didn't catch the 'fall down 7 times' benediction when I left, I think you may have jinxed me! I went on to stream Demon's Souls and did 4-2, and I'm pretty sure I fell, rolled, or got knocked off the cliff in front of the 3 silver skeletons right about 7 times. Did manage to clear world 4, though, so I guess the "get back up" part worked too!

I did a walkthrough on Tech Support about combining local capture with stream audio (long story short, record with your capture software/Shadowplay, line up the time difference and then drop in the audio track with AVIDemux or something), I can try to scrounge that up or finally do the video tutorial I've been putting off for months if that's something you'd be interested in. There is a noticeable quality drop on stream footage since you have to stream at fairly low bitrates.

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Things I learned about Streaming:
  • Music. Put in some god drat MUSIC!
  • Fire-breathing dogs are useful for automation.
  • If I'm going to do a Highlight video, I'm going to have to do the stream on Monday or Sunday so I can have time to put a video together.
  • Streams are fun!

Anyway, here's the Highlight Video I pro missed.
Part 13-16b: Losing for Fun and Profit

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Alright, Folks, I'm gonna try and stream again.

https://www.twitch.tv/natch_evil/

In about 10 minutes from this post, the show will start.
Stream will end about 10-o-clock.

Wish me luck as I try to ring that second bell.

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Alright, here's the next set of updates.

Part 17: To Kill a Spider
Part 18: Bells and Lava
Part 19: I'm an Explorer
Part 20: To Kill a Butterfly

Next time, I think I'm going to record on Monday so I have time to edit and do highlights.
As it is, now, I'm taking more time rendering than editing.

Any thoughts on this new format?
Do people like it? Hate it? Indifferent?

meatgetsdirty
Apr 18, 2008
I like being able to watch the streams and make suggestions/give hints. I also personally appreciate having a ton of videos to watch all at once. Either way being able to see one of my favorite games lp'd with your high standards of editing and sweet music choices is a pleasure.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
As long as we get to watch it after the fact, it's good. I caught most of the first stream but missed this one entirely :v:

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Cool, I'll keep with this for now.

So, I've been working on Wednesdays, which means I'm going to start streaming at 8:00pm on Monday (Maryland Time, 7 Central). I can use all of Tuesday to piece the video together and post on youtube.

Speaking of which: https://www.twitch.tv/natch_evil/
I begin darksouls in about 5 minute from this post.

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Many thanks to...uh... well, just BroOp, for cheering me on.
Actually, he gave me lots of good info while I was playing. Helped me figure stuff out.

Thanks Wayne.

Here's the Stream from Yesterday.
Part 21: When I Step Out of my League
Part 22: Sen's Fortress: Family Owned and rear end Kicking
Part 23: Mimics Cannot Fool Me

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

He who fights too long against dragons becomes a dragon himself

Grimwit posted:

Thanks Wayne.

:glomp: But seriously, it was fun. And thinking back on it, I think Sen's might just be cursed when it comes to streaming; my first ever series on Twitch was a DS1 spellblade run, and it was just dead for Sen's. Like nobody even showed up, let alone said anything, until about halfway into the boss fight. Probably for the best since I spent about half an hour trying to kill those titanite demons :sweatdrop: (you had trouble with one; there's two in the room off to the side that are even stronger).

As far as the stream format, you might look into using TwitchAlerts if you're not already. I'm still on the fence about displaying chat (on the one hand, it's good for mobile users; on the other, it is distracting), but since you are; the feature that automatically hides chat after a little bit can keep stale messages from staying up when it's slow, and let you notice new ones more easily. You might also consider posting on the stream thread and link to this thread, there are a fair few Souls 1-only fans who might be interested. And if I remember next time that that's a thing, I'll go ahead and host you too. With our followers combined, we're... still just barely in triple digits! :v:

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Alright, this week, I see how far into Sen's Fortress I can get, but first, a better bow.
Games tarts in 15'ish minutes?

https://www.twitch.tv/natch_evil/

Be there or be parallelogram.

meatgetsdirty
Apr 18, 2008
Sorry I missed the end of the stream, did you defeat the boss of the fortress?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
"Oh cool I might catch the stream today... Oh right that was posted yesterday :downs:"

I'm sure you did great! PS Man-Serpent great Sword was my favorite in my very first 90% blind run of this game.

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

meatgetsdirty posted:

Sorry I missed the end of the stream, did you defeat the boss of the fortress?

Did I?!?!?!

HAIL IRON TARKUS!

Section Z posted:

"Oh cool I might catch the stream today... Oh right that was posted yesterday :downs:"

I'm sure you did great! PS Man-Serpent great Sword was my favorite in my very first 90% blind run of this game.

Had a lot of fun.
Don't worry if you didn't catch it, I got ya' covered.
Here's the Videos for Yesterday's stream.
I said "Screw it! I'm adding music!" and added music.
Took forever, but the videos don't feel as cheap anymore.

Part 24: Of Gardens and Marbles
Part 25: Tipsy Bridge Blues
Part 26: FIRE FROM THE HEAVENS!
Part 27: Iron Tarkus Saves Christmas

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I can't believe you got Havel on your first try. :aaaaa:

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!
The Moonlight Butterfly soul doesn't actually turn into a bow. Another moon-themed boss soul does. That bow also works on faith, so the Black Bow of Faris might be a better deal if you just want to go heavy on Dexterity. The Moonlight arrows however can be used with any bow, deal magical damage and can simply be bought at the next blacksmith, so they might still be useful to you.

Also you've been doing quite all right, already getting up to Anor Londo. Keep it up! :)

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Don't forget, you still have that hydra in the forest to deal with.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
It's better to do the area after Sen's Fortress before doing any miscellaneous stuff, for reasons that will be incredibly clear once you (eventually) do so.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

ManlyGrunting posted:

It's better to do the area after Sen's Fortress before doing any miscellaneous stuff, for reasons that will be incredibly clear once you (eventually) do so.

Maybe, but that hydra was my "Oh yeah, you think you're better than me, game? Well what about this time!" enemy for, uh, an embarrassing amount of time (I'm so bad at Dark Souls) so I like seeing it done.

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Kibayasu posted:

Don't forget, you still have that hydra in the forest to deal with.

Ha HA!

Get Out!

Meanwhile, time for the weekly stream, you guys!
I'll test the waters of Annor Lando and maybe poke at the Hydra.
Maybe.

https://www.twitch.tv/natch_evil

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Alright, I need to apologize again for ending the stream early last night.
It was literally an act of God (assuming you believe God controls the weather, which puts you in a strange half way weird group, but not really).

Here's the stream, and again, it didn't feel right unless I added some music that I stole from those more talented than me. People like Loden Taylor.

Part 28: High Wire Tribute to Tarkus
Part 29: Anorexic Gargoyle Drop

meatgetsdirty
Apr 18, 2008
I'm just glad you survived the lightning. Maybe you shouldn't go through with this run after all, Gwyn is angry with you.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Too bad about the storm. Also I have to say you picked some really good music for that area.

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

The time for me to bleed for your pleasure is neigh!
Also, no storms this time. I think we're safe.

Stram Time!

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Okay, I'm late.

I consider this update failure #2.
We'll see how well I do in the future.

Anyway, Hope you like Archers.
Jesus, the archers.

Part 30: ARCHERS!!!!
Part 31: The creepy under-room.

A little note: I do think about things like "Are Youtubers just after attention?" And even if the answer is Yes, I'm not sure what that means or if that's a morrally bad thing. It might even be a case for doing the right thing for the wrong reason.
When I started doing this to begin with, I felt it was for my friend, Chuck, who can only use one hand so can't play games anymore. Now that he's stopped viewing my videos, I just went on auto-pilot for a while, now I DO think I'm doing it for the attention. Maybe get that feeling again when, as the story goes in part 30, I played Castlevania with my buddies.

I honestly miss those days.

And I wonder if my videos and streams make a sort of virtual game-playing buddy system. Like, we're not in the room together, and not even playing on the same day, but we're all hanging out. I get attention and you get a virtual game-buddy. Fair trade?

I donno.

What do you guys think?

meatgetsdirty
Apr 18, 2008
Holy poo poo Grimwit, GIT GUD!

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

meatgetsdirty posted:

Holy poo poo Grimwit, GIT GUD!

Oh Meat. I'm so disappointed.
BUT, you ARE the first to say it, so by internet law, I must Git Gud.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Grimwit posted:

Okay, I'm late.

I consider this update failure #2.
We'll see how well I do in the future.

Anyway, Hope you like Archers.
Jesus, the archers.

Part 30: ARCHERS!!!!
Part 31: The creepy under-room.

A little note: I do think about things like "Are Youtubers just after attention?" And even if the answer is Yes, I'm not sure what that means or if that's a morrally bad thing. It might even be a case for doing the right thing for the wrong reason.
When I started doing this to begin with, I felt it was for my friend, Chuck, who can only use one hand so can't play games anymore. Now that he's stopped viewing my videos, I just went on auto-pilot for a while, now I DO think I'm doing it for the attention. Maybe get that feeling again when, as the story goes in part 30, I played Castlevania with my buddies.

I honestly miss those days.

And I wonder if my videos and streams make a sort of virtual game-playing buddy system. Like, we're not in the room together, and not even playing on the same day, but we're all hanging out. I get attention and you get a virtual game-buddy. Fair trade?

I donno.

What do you guys think?

I watch LPs because I find them entertaining. Regardless of whether you make LPs because you're bored, or for therapy, or for attention, or any other reason, I'm glad you make them and you don't owe me poo poo. Do what you want to do for the reasons you want to do them. Unless it's destructive or an addiction, anyone who questions your reasons for how you spend your own time is a shithead.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Yeah, I've got many LP's I've got backlog to catch up on, not just yours. Glad I at least caught the very end of your last stream though, if not the Infamous Archers.

I have more skewed memories of that spot. I had Red Evil Vagrants spawn on the bridge every single time I tried, even if I stopped to kill it first :v:

Anyways, do it so long as you enjoy it enough to keep going regardless of the audience count. Getting views is nice, and having at least SOMEONE watching when you stream is more interesting than talking to yourself, when you are going to the effort of streaming rather than just recording footage. Plus the appreciated efforts of setting up more accessible footage to catch up on, rather than just dump a twitch archive link.

But actually enjoying yourself is the important part, with or without a live audience. Which I know is a strange thing to say to somebody trudging through Darksouls :downs:

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

KillHour posted:

I watch LPs because I find them entertaining. Regardless of whether you make LPs because you're bored, or for therapy, or for attention, or any other reason, I'm glad you make them and you don't owe me poo poo. Do what you want to do for the reasons you want to do them. Unless it's destructive or an addiction, anyone who questions your reasons for how you spend your own time is a shithead.

Section Z posted:

Anyways, do it so long as you enjoy it enough to keep going regardless of the audience count. Getting views is nice, and having at least SOMEONE watching when you stream is more interesting than talking to yourself, when you are going to the effort of streaming rather than just recording footage. Plus the appreciated efforts of setting up more accessible footage to catch up on, rather than just dump a twitch archive link.

You know what? You two, and I think someone else told me the same things and it made me solve it in my head.

Forgive me if this sounds cliche, but I'm going through this from my perspective.

1. So, I've been talking to my sister about my art (she's an artist and a sculpture) and how I feel like I'm useless unless I'm drawing. She says, "You're being to hard on yourself. Don't force your art, just let it happen."
2. I will occasionally freak out about the timing of my streams and update schedule, as well.
3. But why game or Art in the first place? Attention? What do I do with the attention I get from my comics or my Let's Plays.
4. And you guys have told me, As long as your having fun, do it.

Seriously, I'm juggling this in my head while thinking about the next possible Anchorhead update tomorrow and...well... Sitting on the Epiphany thrown (you know the one).

It hit me!

I'm not doing it for just the attention.
I'm doing it BECAUSE it's more fun when other people are involved!

Streaming is fun cuz it's a loving party!
Comics are fun cuz of the fan reactions!
LP's are fun WHEN viewers get involved!

It's a strange after-school special to encounter when you're turning 40.

So, alright.
Come watch me in Dark Souls this Monday as I probably go up against Ornstein and Smough.
It'll be fun! :suicide:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Yeah, that seems to be the big self awareness bulletpoint on these matters.

Doing something you would still enjoy without an audience is important, but liking it more when there IS an audience isn't an immediate leap to being an attention whore or anything.

That's when you keep asking yourself and the internet "Why is nobody watching me :byodood:"

Hoping I can actually catch the show live this time around. Placing my invisible internet monopoly dollars on TWO tries!

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

*** Notice ***

Okay, something's come up that I was just now alerted to.

My normal time is 8:00pm (UTC/GMT -4), BUT I was just informed that I need to drive people to places tomorrow at that time.

Do you guys prefer I do the stream earlier (7:00pm) or later (11:00pm)?

Either is fine for me and the stream will still last only 2-ish hours (barring flashy lightning storms).
If I get no reply, I'll just do it at 7:00pm.

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Seven it is!

Streaming starts NOW!
GAH! Silver Knights!

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Triple-Combo!

Alright, here's the long awaited me v. Pikachu and Snorlax.
If you want to just see how I did with B & O boss, skip to Episode 34, but you'll miss out on me learning to parry.

Part 32: How I Parry
Part 33: Onion-Bro Is No Help
Part 34: Pikachu and Snorlax

Thanks to Meat, Doopliss, and Wayne for giving me help.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

This whole boss loop is probably why I never got far into Demon's and Dark Souls at all. Even if you know exactly what to do everything can still go wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Kibayasu posted:

This whole boss loop is probably why I never got far into Demon's and Dark Souls at all. Even if you know exactly what to do everything can still go wrong.

It's a hill to climb, that's for sure.
Not one of those nice soft hills, too.
One of the tall ones.
With spikes.

Starting the Stream in 5'ish minutes!

• Locked thread