Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Telemaze
Apr 22, 2008

What you expected hasn't happened.
Fun Shoe

luloo123 posted:

Pretty much what Blue Footed Booby said.

I have no clue what they were talking about when they said they don't believe in Native Americans since he wasn't my student. They were probably asleep during their young Earth creationist Bible study classes and history classes and didn't realize that the first European contact with Native Americans happened fewer than 6,000 years ago. The more I think about it, the more it makes my head hurt. His world view ignores the stories about Columbus making contact with Native Americans and thinking that he had landed in India. It ignores the huge monuments in South America. Hell, in his history, I have no loving clue how the whole Pilgrim story would have worked.

The number of Americans who think that Native Americans are "extinct" (like we're dinosaurs) is really, really disheartening to me and shows how ignorant so many are of their own country's history and current events. The professor should've roundhouse kicked that guy.

Oh, that reminds me, when I was a child, I once witnessed my mother- a professional woman who was wearing a suit- get asked if our family lives in a tipi. An actual adult human being asked her this. Where did they think she would hang the suit? In the tipi's closet? Never mind that we were in the wrong part of the country for tipi-building tribes, but I think that would've been too much information to handle for the asker.

Do idiots also do stuff like ask everyday English people if they live in a castle? I'm not even joking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I had a Jewish friend in college who swore up and down that he had been asked where his horns were, on more than one occasion.

I mean, obviously they're under his frizzy hair. :rolleye:

I think that might have started from all the old statues of Moses during that weird period where people thought he had horns.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

luloo123 posted:

That is true, but his point was that they'll keep refilling indefinitely because the earth makes the oil and there will never be a decrease in volume or quality. He also believed that green energy initiatives were a conspiracy by the government. At that point, I think that I made an excuse that my phone was dying, and we had to get back on topic or what needed to be done wouldn't get done.
Refilling oil wells is a young earth creationism thing.

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I had a Jewish friend in college who swore up and down that he had been asked where his horns were, on more than one occasion.

I mean, obviously they're under his frizzy hair. :rolleye:
I was raised Catholic, and I was still fairly religious when I was in high school. I was on a trip to Tennessee in high school and I said that I was Catholic to a group of people I was chatting with when religion came up. They all looked shocked and someone said said something like "Really? you seem so normal!" I know it's not the same as antisemitism, but it was a tiny glimpse at the "us versus the lizard people" mentality that a lot of fundamentalists have toward everyone else.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Telemaze posted:

Do idiots also do stuff like ask everyday English people if they live in a castle? I'm not even joking.

Yes.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

They probably think you're like a servant or butler or something, not the actual owner like the king of England.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Nostradingus posted:

This sounds like something I would tell a kid. I am not a father.

If you're not aware, it sounds like some weird bit of nonsense, but it's actually an old-fashioned racism thing. It comes from medieval depictions of Jews as literal demons, and was re-popularised by the Nazis.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

If you're not aware, it sounds like some weird bit of nonsense, but it's actually an old-fashioned racism thing. It comes from medieval depictions of Jews as literal demons, and was re-popularised by the Nazis.

Yeeeeeah people are dumb but I'm pretty sure at that point that guy was just being a huge rear end in a top hat and was basically going to drawn out extremes to make fun of her. There are certain people who will take rear end in a top hat jokes to an extreme and act extremely ignorant to get a reaction, and if they don't get the specific reaction they want they'll just ride with it the whole way through. It's more common in dudes from middle school to college cause they tend to get weeded out when they're not in a forced peer environment type of setting but that poo poo isn't totally uncommon among weird assholes.

Not even the most fervent anti-semetic idiot believes jews are literally born with tails

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

GWBBQ posted:

I was raised Catholic, and I was still fairly religious when I was in high school. I was on a trip to Tennessee in high school and I said that I was Catholic to a group of people I was chatting with when religion came up. They all looked shocked and someone said said something like "Really? you seem so normal!" I know it's not the same as antisemitism, but it was a tiny glimpse at the "us versus the lizard people" mentality that a lot of fundamentalists have toward everyone else.

Southern Baptists get really weird about Catholics. I grew up near a Baptist megachurch and sometimes my classmates would try to educate me on Catholicism like I wasn't going to RCIA and stuff every week anyways. Except all their info was wildly innacurate and it was basically an explanation of why I was going to hell.

Unrelated, something said by a high school friend: "I don't know why I have to learn about the French Revolution, I mean, I'm American"

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Telemaze posted:

The number of Americans who think that Native Americans are "extinct" (like we're dinosaurs) is really, really disheartening to me and shows how ignorant so many are of their own country's history and current events. The professor should've roundhouse kicked that guy.

Oh, that reminds me, when I was a child, I once witnessed my mother- a professional woman who was wearing a suit- get asked if our family lives in a tipi. An actual adult human being asked her this. Where did they think she would hang the suit? In the tipi's closet? Never mind that we were in the wrong part of the country for tipi-building tribes, but I think that would've been too much information to handle for the asker.

I am 1/4 Native, and I can remember as a little girl that we would have people asking my grandmother (1/2 Cherokee, 1/4 Osage, 1/4 Lakota Sioux) if she had her tomahawk on her and if they could see it. Another time we had someone asking her how many scalps she had, and if she had any extra buffalo around that they could buy off her lol

She would just give them this look, and walk away...but I know it made her sad :(

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

GWBBQ posted:

I was raised Catholic, and I was still fairly religious when I was in high school. I was on a trip to Tennessee in high school and I said that I was Catholic to a group of people I was chatting with when religion came up. They all looked shocked and someone said said something like "Really? you seem so normal!"

I can confirm from personal experience that it might have been genuinely mind blowing to those people, and that yes, people can be that naive. I was raised as a very, VERY conservative Muslim, and up until I was in secondary school, I firmly believed as sacrosanct fact that Jews were mouth-frothingly evil, that gays were flamboyant pedophiles, that sort of thing. Then I got the Internet, and holy poo poo, there were gays and Jews who seemed so normal! They did things like I did, liked the same things I did- some Jews even opposed the occupation of Palestine! That last bit really threw me for a loop, as up until then I thought religions were these big, monolithic things, where everybody had to follow a certain set of principles even outside of religious scripture.

Yeah, I know it sounds horrible, but that's how things were for me, and no doubt for those people as well. If you changed at least one mind though, then that's some good done in the world, I say :unsmith:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
"We can't have universal healthcare in the United States because we're too diverse. It only works in places like Norway and Taiwan because they have biologically homogeneous populations and doctors can't work on people whose biology is too different from ours..." - in response to a debate about healthcare

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
I asked a Home Depot worker where the spigots were located. He said. "Electrical".

Pallas_Cat
May 2, 2009

Absolute Unit
I used to work with a juggalette. I guess it shouldn't be too surprising to hear some dumb poo poo from someone with two visible Insane Clown Posse tattoos, but there were a few times that just kind of had me speechless. :psyduck:

"Did you know the government can control the weather? They have a machine that sends out sound waves that make it rain."

"How can we be in a drought when we're right next to the ocean?!"

"Deodorant's not good for women! It can give you cancer."

"I go to those payday advance places for cash all the time. I just never pay them back."

She also complained about having a stomach ache and not being able to work almost every day. I only ever saw her consume cheetos, hostess cupcakes, and red bull.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

"We can't have universal healthcare in the United States because we're too diverse. It only works in places like Norway and Taiwan because they have biologically homogeneous populations and doctors can't work on people whose biology is too different from ours..." - in response to a debate about healthcare

i thought this was just going to go to the actual reason, which is that right-leaning folks don't want to give things to people who don't deserve it, i.e. poor brown folks?

Hell, for a decent chunk of that group those probably ARE the same reason...I swear I have read a story or two on SA about some idiot having some Jew-horn kind of belief about black folks. :psyduck:

drunk
Jan 26, 2010

Telemaze posted:

Do idiots also do stuff like ask everyday English people if they live in a castle? I'm not even joking.a

People would ask my Scottish ex-step mom where she learned to speak English so well. My dad and I were just normal assholes who would make her say "rooty tooty fresh and fruity" several times when we went to Ihop.

Oh yeah, in high school during Theory of Knowledge we were told to put our electronic devices away, and one girl replied that her CD player isn't electric because it runs on batteries.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

The Orange Mage posted:

i thought this was just going to go to the actual reason, which is that right-leaning folks don't want to give things to people who don't deserve it, i.e. poor brown folks?

Hell, for a decent chunk of that group those probably ARE the same reason...I swear I have read a story or two on SA about some idiot having some Jew-horn kind of belief about black folks. :psyduck:

No, the person I was debating with at the time was trying to make the argument that minorities literally have different biological structures than "normal" human biology, so it's impossible to apply universal healthcare coverage to everyone equally. Not quite Jew-horn mythology but definitely more than "sickle cell anemia affects black people differently" reasoning.

It's both racist and an astounding denial of reality.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

No, the person I was debating with at the time was trying to make the argument that minorities literally have different biological structures than "normal" human biology, so it's impossible to apply universal healthcare coverage to everyone equally. Not quite Jew-horn mythology but definitely more than "sickle cell anemia affects black people differently" reasoning.

It's both racist and an astounding denial of reality.

This is a fairly common belief among people in China and probably other east-asian countries. They really do think they're structured differently and that Chinese medicine doesn't work the same for westerners

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Aesop Poprock posted:

This is a fairly common belief among people in China and probably other east-asian countries. They really do think they're structured differently and that Chinese medicine doesn't work the same for westerners

Well, there's sort of some truth to "medicine doesn't work the same for everybody" because some people just don't respond to some treatments. Genetics is a factor and there are certain disorders, diseases, or problems that are literally impossible for some people to get because of genetics. Certain ethnicities also have particular problems that are entirely unique to them.

But the reason "traditional Chinese medicine" doesn't work on westerners is because it doesn't work on Chinese people either. A great deal of it is just straight up snake oil bullshit from what I've heard.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Well, there's sort of some truth to "medicine doesn't work the same for everybody" because some people just don't respond to some treatments. Genetics is a factor and there are certain disorders, diseases, or problems that are literally impossible for some people to get because of genetics. Certain ethnicities also have particular problems that are entirely unique to them.

But the reason "traditional Chinese medicine" doesn't work on westerners is because it doesn't work on Chinese people either. A great deal of it is just straight up snake oil bullshit from what I've heard.

There are some truly bizarre beliefs in China. I saw an article where they were talking about radiation, saying that Westerners are harmed by radiation but not Chinese people because they have a special kind that can't hurt them.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

I have heard the argument that places like Norway have high taxes and high social welfare because of their homogeny, but it sounds like someone heard that already questionable argument and took it in a bizarre literal direction.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Dahlia posted:

"Deodorant's not good for women! It can give you cancer."

A childhood friend's mom is a nurse and believes this. Of course, she also told my mom, "If you don't force your daughter to do sports, she'll just get into trouble!" that "Art isn't worth anything and you guys will never make money" (both of us are working artists) and she was all about crystals and angels and poo poo.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Scathach posted:

A childhood friend's mom is a nurse and believes this. Of course, she also told my mom, "If you don't force your daughter to do sports, she'll just get into trouble!" that "Art isn't worth anything and you guys will never make money" (both of us are working artists) and she was all about crystals and angels and poo poo.

This just reminded me of another one.

A friend was trying to fix me up with a girl a few years back, and he warned me in advance "she's a little odd, but she's really nice and super cute..."

So he gives the girl my number and we talk on the phone, and she IS nice. She does talk about some crystal-gazing, hippie-dippy things. but otherwise she seems smart and funny and cool. So we make plans to go out a few days later.

The day of our date, she calls me early in the day to cancel and why? "I was talking to the angels, and they told me that we are not meant to be, so we can't go out." I basically was just like "oh" and that was that.

After thinking about it, I realized that while it's dumber than a basket of hair - it's basically the PERFECT excuse for anything, because it leaves the other person with no way to respond. If they say they don't believe in angels, then they have spoken out against your core beliefs. If they say the angels are wrong - they are literally arguing with the will of divine beings. Either way - you're out.

My buddy apologized later saying "sorry, man - I knew she was a little odd - I didn't think she was out and out crazy."

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Scathach posted:

A frightening amount of nurses are completely loving bonkers.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I got a co-worker who constantly splurts out things like "now I ain't no racist but them gypsies! They can't be trusted!"

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

My sister is a nurse and... yah. She has a creepy obsession with people with Down's Syndrome.

Davealicious
May 8, 2007

coronatae posted:

Southern Baptists get really weird about Catholics. I grew up near a Baptist megachurch and sometimes my classmates would try to educate me on Catholicism like I wasn't going to RCIA and stuff every week anyways. Except all their info was wildly innacurate and it was basically an explanation of why I was going to hell.

Unrelated, something said by a high school friend: "I don't know why I have to learn about the French Revolution, I mean, I'm American"

So true. My ex-wife had a Southern Baptist friend from a rural town who was just terrified when she found out we were Catholic. She was convinced that Catholics worshiped Satan and we were so going to Hell!!! It amazes me what people are told, I mean this was preached to them in their Church!

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

One of my friends' exes was kind of religious, and when I said that the Romans crucified people all the time and that early Christians didn't use the cross as a symbol of Christianity, her response was "theories theories theories." Churches are like brain scramblers.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I work in a dementia unit and I've heard a lot of staff try to blame people's behaviors on the phases on the moon.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

RillAkBea posted:

My sister is a nurse and... yah. She has a creepy obsession with people with Down's Syndrome.

Uh... in what way?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

rodbeard posted:

I work in a dementia unit and I've heard a lot of staff try to blame people's behaviors on the phases on the moon.

My sister is a nurse that believes this. I tried to explain confirmation bias to her but she just told me to "stop saying big words" :shrug:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Yeah, one of my exes was a nurse. Great in bed though :shrug:

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

My uncle said to me the other day "I'm a MLP Brony fedora trilby weeaboo jort republican internet critic juggallo nazi trump supporter libertarian bitcoin racist homophobe athiest mra pua pozzer tumblr freak gamergater furry pedo ephebophile doodoo liker lets player memer 4channer redditor goon and i like the wrong politics of the xbox one gamergate gender equality wage gap tipping religion." :allears:

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

BigglesSWE posted:

I got a co-worker who constantly splurts out things like "now I ain't no racist but them gypsies! They can't be trusted!"

We have Euro SA posters who literally post this poo poo.

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009

rodbeard posted:

That's really amusing when you consider that that believe is what spawned the word Lunatic.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

rodbeard posted:

My mom's a nurse and apparently a lot of her coworkers fully believe that a full moon means their patients will be unruly that night.

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

Dongicus posted:

My uncle said to me the other day "I'm a MLP Brony fedora trilby weeaboo jort republican internet critic juggallo nazi trump supporter libertarian bitcoin racist homophobe athiest mra pua pozzer tumblr freak gamergater furry pedo ephebophile doodoo liker lets player memer 4channer redditor goon and i like the wrong politics of the xbox one gamergate gender equality wage gap tipping religion." :allears:

Oh wow, we all just got collectively served.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Bobby Digital posted:

My mom's a nurse and apparently a lot of her coworkers fully believe that a full moon means their patients will be unruly that night.

Was literally about to post this. The full moon one is loving everywhere but particularly bad with medical staff.

The issue is that these people work either directly or very close to a field that deals with people being loopy or hurt etc.. so in their own minds they are more correct then anyone outside that world. Same deal with sugar highs with kids not being an actual thing but parents just know better man.

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Sugar rush doesn't exist, but why would anybody hand a four year old a full size Hershey bar and a can of Coke? A body that small doesn't really need all that caffeine.

And then they blame the sugar when the kid can't sit still.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Dongicus posted:

but does he think hot dogs are sandwiches

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I have some Chinese in-laws who hold firmly to the belief that "Western medicine treats the symptoms, but traditional Chinese medicine cures the disease." Whenever they get sick they go to both Western and TCM doctors, use both remedies, but attribute all success to the traditional Chinese cure.

• Locked thread