Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Nutsngum posted:

Well she isnt wrong!

Here in Australia we have servings, grams per servings and nutrition per 100gs on all labels. Companies try and get around the whole serving part giving away the sheer amount of sugar/fat/salt etc in their food by claiming that single person mars bar has "two servings" because they divided it in half.

Serving sizes are always the stupidest things. Tiny 99 cent bag of chips? 2.5 servings (when there's maybe 40 total chips if you get lucky). On the other end, cheap-o advent calendars, the kind with super thin chocolate in them, usually say "Serving Size: 1 Calendar"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I had a Jewish friend in college who swore up and down that he had been asked where his horns were, on more than one occasion.

I mean, obviously they're under his frizzy hair. :rolleye:

I think that might have started from all the old statues of Moses during that weird period where people thought he had horns.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Second hand report here. On the radio today a sort of editorial came on explaining that yes, Ted Cruz's parents were born in America so he counts as naturalized by laws in the books over 200 years old now. He sequed into that however by talking about a conversation he overheard recently at a cafe wherein a woman said:
"I like Ted Cruz as a candidate. But what if he actually can't be president? Even worse, what if he wins and then they find out he can't be? Then Biden will take his place..."
The newscaster was as dumbfounded as you.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Nutsngum posted:

Arent travelers white people though?

My only realy knowledge of travellers is having watched Snatch though.

I thought Traveler was the new un-PC thing to call Romany now that in this day and age nobody knows that Gypsy is a slur.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Maggie Fletcher posted:

Californians know three places in the US: California, Vegas, and New York. I was dating a guy out here, and when he learned I was from Maryland, a not-insignificant state* with some major sports teams, he asked if it was anywhere near New York.

*This is not to say that Rhode Island is insignificant, all I mean is that albeit small, we are in the news quite a bit.

My ex wife was from California, I'm from Michigan. The first time I visited her and her family I was asked if I had needed to get a passport.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOqNCY49THM

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Aesop Poprock posted:

I too want to grow up to be a man dumber than a rock who can somehow still perform neurosurgery and run for president. It'd be like living a stretched out early 90s SNL skit

Carson is the absolute perfect example where people mistake being brilliant in a single area means you're brilliant in all areas. The guy's one of the best surgeons in the country, but doesn't know jack about history or politics and thinks he's qualified to run the country.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Yeah, the rule everyone misses about fedoras is that the only way they really look good is if you have it match a fully tailored suit, as in vest, matching tie and shirt, possibly a long coat over your jacket, etc, and ALREADY look kind of dapper on your own. You look like a spazz trying to draw attention to how "wacky" you are otherwise.

As for me, no hat looks good on me, and the only time I wear hats are ski caps in the winter to keep warm outside. I begrudgingly accept my thinning hairline, as it's better than looking like a ponce in a hat.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

cyberia posted:

Tbh, the hat doesn't look terrible but it also doesn't look good. The unevenly rolled-up but still baggy jeans gently caress up the outfit way, way more than the hat.

Right, it's the kind of hat you can like, get away with wearing when it's like snowing and you're outdoors or stuff like that, but for god's sake, keep it strictly utilitarian. The pants however will NEVER go with that sort of look. There's nothing wrong with jeans, but they sure aren't the look that coat gloves and scarf combo are trying for.

Also agreed to keep the beard and shave the neck.

And that's my fashion minute for the month used up.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Dragonwagon posted:

Biggles pls post a pic of your cat wearing your hat tia

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

BooLoo posted:

Why are your gloves on inside, who did you just strangle?

Reminds me of back in college when I dramatically changed my look overnight because I could. I went from longish curlyish brown hair and full beard to stubble and short spikey blonde hair. I was hanging out with some friends and then after like ten minutes with one the penny dropped and he realized it was me. The first reaction from him? "Oh man, you could have just KILLED somebody and gotten away with it!"

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Sorry to pull us back in, but earlier today I was talking with my mother about the phenomenon of people thinking that hats make them look stylish, not the other way around and she put it pretty succinctly: "If you have an ugly face and put on a hat, all you accomplish is now you have an ugly face with a stupid hat on"

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

One time I was in line on a busy day at an icecream place. There were some teens behind me chatting, and one girl pipes up with "Man, if I were a boy, I'd have no reason to use toilet paper ever again..."

I'm just standing with my back to her all :stonklol:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

With this and the other post, I don't understand. Why is it important to touch the Mediterranean Sea? What is the point? :psyduck:

Most Americans are incredibly dense when it comes to geography, and fail to realize large bodies of water tend to have multiple sides to them. I'm sure most believe that the Mediterranean is bordered by Italy, Greece, and nothing.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

TheKennedys posted:

Benedict Cumberbatch isn't even the dumbest one, not by a long shot. The two dudes from Supernatural have had absolutely batshit fans stalking them and harassing their wives/girlfriends for years, screaming at the top of their lungs that they have to be gay for each other, their marriages are a sham, etc.

Fandoms ruin everything.

Oh now there's a rabbit hole waiting to be found if you go after crazy Supernatural fans. Like there's this whole subculture of fanfiction/fandom where the guys have like dog style retractable dicks, and somehow are able to impregnate each other and it just goes farther and farther into madness and why do I know this, I don't even watch the show??

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Strudel Man posted:

I really have to wonder why a computer god would waste its CPU cycles simulating the torture of dead people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EddX9hnhDS4

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Nutsngum posted:

This isnt the "best things youve heard" thread you know.

Yeah, the current conversation seems perfect for the thread.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Scarf posted:

Showgirls was nc-17 when it was first released.

And was a grand experiment to make NC-17 a normal theater thing. It bombed hard and there've been barely any films with that rating carried at big chain multiplexes since. Like others have said, at the fancy schmancy indie/artsy theaters you'll see stuff with that rating or no rating at all, but that's it.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

CherryCola posted:

God loving dammit. OP is my cousin, first reply is her sister in law, second is me. Jesus gently caress

Congratulations CherryCola, this just popped up on my facebook feed. You've gone viral.

Panfilo posted:

Blockbuster Video was also notorious for not showing anything harder than a 'R' rating, so a lot of films got edited down to R (the R version of Showgirls, for example). Back when the VHS rental market was big, this could be a big problem if you couldn't/didn't want to bust your film down to an R rating- not only were you nudged out of most theaters, but you were also nudged out of some of the larger video rental chains as well.

Blockbuster and Hollywood Video would edit their more extreme films and then call them the "unrated" version when there was explicit sex on screen. Like I've heard the butter scene in Last Tango In Paris has a lamp superimposed over stuff, and I had rented Cronenberg's Crash and wondered what all the hubbub over the sex scenes were until years later when I saw the actual film on IFC...

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Cleretic posted:

I remember hearing that when Parker and Stone were doing the South Park movie, their policy was to replace any rejection with something worse, which almost always went through. They couldn't call the film 'South Park: All Hell Breaks Loose' because they couldn't use the word 'Hell', but 'Bigger, Longer and Uncut' was totally fine.

The puppet sex scene from Team America was also a decoy, as I recall. They knew the ratings board would be so up in arms about that they'd overlook the rest of the movie.

I want to say one of the more infamous "worse gets accepted" bits in the movie was the scene where Satan and Saddam are in bed and he keeps pulling out dildoes. Like, the original version was a photorealistic dildo on camera they objected to, then they replaced it with an actual erect penis photo and it got accepted.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Thin Privilege posted:

It's not on the list but didn't they also ban Saints Row 3 for having a dildo bat, so they had to remove it? And I think they had to in Japan too. And what about the Rectifier Probe in 4? Did they ban that too? And if Silent Hill Homecoming was banned due to torture, what happened with GTA V? I am curious.

Banning games for dumb things is the stupidest poo poo I've heard regarding video games. So glad I don't live in Australia :911:

Speaking of cutting Torture Scenes in Japan, for Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker, there's a scene where your character gets tortured with electric cattle prods. Apparently in Japan they changed them to "Tickle Rods" whatever that means.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Just read in a rather large writing group I'm in on Facebook:

quote:

Okay this might sound creepy and I PROMISE IT IS NOT MEANT in a creepy way in the slightest.
I just noticed (after looking at the picture for a while not knowing what was throwing me off about the otherwise cute squish squish baby) that babies does not have nipples.
And honestly it is too late for me to realise something like that and I googled it and to no avail and just please someone explain why small humans lack nipples because my mind is exploding right now I thought we were born with the and now apparently we are not and?????

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I've got to ask because when this argument comes up I feel like I'm the crazy one. if you discriminate against people for being white and/or male, it still counts as racism and/or sexism right? The definitions don't magically change just because the context of the usage is so infinitesimally incomparable, right? Am I wrong? Am I being racist and misogynistic simply by being a pedant?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

RagnarokAngel posted:

It's a long and complex argument but as I understand it racism and sexism require someone to be in a position to exert power over another. It's still bigoted either way though.

It just seems to me that sexism is the neutral word and why we have words like misogyny and misandry to specify. I don't have the right words for it but "reverse racism" always sounded like an oxymoron to me as well.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

DorkusMalorkus posted:

The dumbest thing here is the slideshow format. gently caress everyone who puts articles in slideshow format.

Gotta increase those eyeballs-to-ads ratios somehow!

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

[insert joke calling your mother a caveman here]

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

my ex-wife isn't white, so I'm happy to say I did my part for the effort!

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Non Serviam posted:

Ex? She also thinks you're a oval office?

Meh, pretty much.

Our son's part of the big multi-ethnic future white supremecists use as a bogeyman these days was my main point.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Khazar-khum posted:

On another site, someone asked "Why don't we have cats as big as Great Danes?"

To paraphrase from a half-remembered 20 year old stand up comedy bit, you know how you'll have a loving and affectionate housecat, that you cuddle and pet and love? And how it acts when it's tired of your cuddling and petting and loving? By swiping at your face with full hellfury? Where you get a small scratch but rarely any worse damage? Do you really want to add the strength and speed necessary to have that action take off your whole head?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Dr_Amazing posted:

This is pretty common in Japan.

I've heard it's for the exact opposite reason there. That address numbers were assigned chronologically rather than spatially, to the point where a culture obsessed with manners finds it perfectly acceptable to stop busy people and ask for directions.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Florida Betty posted:

I always hear the weirdest things at Panera. Once, someone was conducting a job interview (not for Panera) at a table next to me, and the interviewer proudly and extremely loudly announced to the interviewee that she never hired Asians. Usually people try to be a little quieter with their racism in public.

During the Ferguson Riots last year, I stopped in a Panera because it felt like a good idea. I ended up sitting next to a table of four old men that were discussing the situation. It was pretty much "racist bingo" for the event. Talking about how they're young savages that don't know how to behave and all that. Also at one point one of the men lectured one of the others because he was saving most of his money to have his children inherit instead of buying fancy sports cars to go on adventures and be completely selfish. Right.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I loved him in Game of Death. The look on Bruce Lee's face as he just slowly takes in how tall Kareem is. Plus after he gets kicked, his previously pristine now iconic yellow suit has a huge footprint from neck to groin on it. KAJ was actually one of his students irl too.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

RagnarokAngel posted:

That's his point, we only ever use violence as a form of a coercion towards children, unless you're a cop or something. It's teaching kids that violence is how you deal with people you don't agree with, and yet when they get older they're not supposed to do that.

Right. I'm old enough that spanking was still mostly acceptable towards kids when I was little (ie the 80s) but when I became a parent it dawned on me that I was only teaching my kid that violence is a way to solve problems and that spankings did nothing.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Oh, I got one that fits in the current tangent. My Grad Student Significant Other teaches biology 101 to undergrads. It's the end of the semester, and she gets an email from a student complaining that she can't get a C because she's Pre-Med. After the finals have already been graded and posted. Looks like you can get a C from here.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

El Estrago Bonito posted:

It's true for people at all levels of education. 18/19 year olds are universally pretty dumb but at an age where enough people have told them they are adults that they don't realize how much they have to learn. My buddy oversaw a robotics lab at MIT for a while and one time he was sitting at his desk reading some papers and he heard noise from the other room. Basically there would be a sort of loud snap and then a bunch of laughing. Naturally being a cool person he went to see what dumb poo poo they were up to, and it turned out they had built a solenoid, hooked it up to a very expensive and heavy duty LiPo battery, and were using it to fire needles into a chunk of foam that was normally used for housing sensitive equipment. Which is kind of awesome in a way, but it just goes to show that you can give even smart people access to hundreds of millions of dollars in resources and they will still waste time using an electromagnet to shoot stuff.

If anything, the smart people then know how to make the crazy poo poo much much cooler. I don't know if he'll be back this year, but at last year's Penguicon, there was a guy who gave a lecture entitled "DIY Mad Science", which I had assumed would be "fun at home science projects", maybe something I could do with my kid when he came for the summer. Nope. He was all about exactly the sort of jerryrigged weapons of mass chaos like you describe above. His crowning display was taking a hand-crank seed spreader and a super soaker to make a dry fuel flamethrower.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

BuddyChrist posted:

I didn't know what Penguicon was so I googled it...

Wikipedia: "Penguicon is a convention in the midwestern United States designed originally to mix the communities of science fiction fandom and Linux User Groups."

Isn't that a perfect circle Venn diagram?

Well it started out as a linux convention, but being "open source" it slowly expanded over the years as an all purpose geek convention with pretty much all areas of interest under the sun.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

The Jargon talk makes me think of Neil Gaiman's "Anansi Boys" where the main character and his boss are both really awkward about ending conversations, so they regularly will sit and throw inter-office catchphrases at each other for like, the same length of time as the actual conversation. Stuff like "Keep that nose to the grindstone!" and "That's why we make the big bucks!" that are supposed to substitute "alright, see ya!"

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Was it Zoz? Kinda crazy add-ish guy with a mohawk? He was on my friends pub crawl trivia team for a while, that dude is great: https://youtu.be/-bpX8YvNg6Y

Nah, it's a guy named Ivan Owen. Here's a video from last year, with bonus of my goony rear end sitting in the front in brown with the far too big beard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xPgb8lBbio

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Yeah my biggest hobby is horror and cult film. I know a lot, but there are some who know infinitely more. I accept this no biggie. In my city there used to be a cult video shop (the harshest casualties of the netflix wars) and it was a really cool place totally suited to its college city area. Except the owner. He was "that guy" there we're talking about, pouncing on any chance to correct you or lord over you any knowledge he had. Made it hard being friendly any time he was in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Creature posted:

As an Australian, I've never really understood why we waste all our time coming up with stories about drop bears when we can just let foreigners wander outside and die from sharks/crocs/kangaroos/spiders/snakes/jellyfish/dingos/cassowaries/serial killers/the desert, all of which are real.

I'm guessing it's because you can't stand the idea of having any animals that aren't dangerous.

• Locked thread