Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

If it's anything like Destiny, enemy health might scale with the number of people in your party. The previous videos seemed even more extreme than Destiny, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Mae posted:

If it's anything like Destiny, enemy health might scale with the number of people in your party. The previous videos seemed even more extreme than Destiny, though.

This is absolutely the case, bigger teams means that enemy health goes up.

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD
Good point about the group. In all the videos before that PC leak one there were two other guys (NPCs?) in the group while in the PC video he was alone.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

TG-Chrono posted:

Not a very good approach when the idea is to make it realistic-ish. Should have scaled then amount of enemies instead.

devoir
Nov 16, 2007

Megasabin posted:

Not a very good approach when the idea is to make it realistic-ish. Should have scaled then amount of enemies instead.

I actually hate this approach. The game becomes entirely about how big you can make your AOE damage and it turns into a zerg-fest. Games like Diablo and Path of Exile inevitably get to this place and skill or decision-making takes a huge backseat. No one will use cover, and grenades/rockets become the focus of gearing.

One thing I noticed in any video I've seen where the bullet sponge comes into effect is that no one appears to be coordinating fire. The whole "tactilol" realism complaint falls a little flat for me when everyone's acting like Rambo in group content.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

TG-Chrono posted:

In Destiny this used to mean that there were people who preferred playing strikes alone because it was easier, and Bungie had to tweak it so the difference wasn't as severe. I hope Ubi keeps that in mind in their online co-op game

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Vitamin P posted:

So Guys with handguns and hoods, Guys with shotguns and orange jumpsuits and Guys with flamethrowers and gas masks.

Like I get what you're saying but those are enemy types, not full-on interesting factions.

pretty much. maybe there will be more in game(who knows)

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Randler posted:

SMGs really seemed to suck, though, but I think that's a feature nowadays in shooters. :smith:

Play a Call of Duty game some time. Any one of them, honestly.

I hear shotguns in this however suffer standard video game shotgun-itis; empty the whole thing into somebody and you might get a kill, maybe.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Capn Beeb posted:

Play a Call of Duty game some time. Any one of them, honestly.

I hear shotguns in this however suffer standard video game shotgun-itis; empty the whole thing into somebody and you might get a kill, maybe.
Or to get that 1-2 hit kill with it you're in teleporting OHK-melee range anyway.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

devoir posted:

I actually hate this approach. The game becomes entirely about how big you can make your AOE damage and it turns into a zerg-fest. Games like Diablo and Path of Exile inevitably get to this place and skill or decision-making takes a huge backseat. No one will use cover, and grenades/rockets become the focus of gearing.

One thing I noticed in any video I've seen where the bullet sponge comes into effect is that no one appears to be coordinating fire. The whole "tactilol" realism complaint falls a little flat for me when everyone's acting like Rambo in group content.

Well considering there is no reason to "focus fire" anything in real life, since 1 gun kills just as quickly as 5 as long as you hit the target, I'm not sure how that affects tactical realism.

It's just a gameplay issue. Do you want chunkier enemies and a focus on single target moves or more enemies, and a focus on group control and AOE. There is a sweet spot somewhere in the middle of that. Will they find it? Probably not.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
I'm looking forward to be terrible in this game and to allow you to finish the raids only once I leave! :toot:

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

limaCAT posted:

I'm looking forward to be terrible in this game and to allow you to finish the raids only once I leave! :toot:

High five terrible at shooters bro!

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

Pork Pie Hat posted:

High five terrible at shooters bro!

Um this is an RPG not a shooter please get it right

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.
I'm hoping that with an rpg hp system and cover mechanics this game will be a little more chilled that your usual shooter.

Snostorm
Sep 9, 2013
Hiding behind crates while your LEET DEEPS friends kill everything is the best way to play.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!
Gears of War 3 Horde mode was an RPG. Or was it?

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

limaCAT posted:

Don't worry, Ubisoft might pull a Destiny. Gate off their endgame content by making it hilariously over-tuned and have no matchmaking so a hefty chunk of the playerbase can't even access a raid, let alone finish it. :toot:

Megasabin posted:

Well considering there is no reason to "focus fire" anything in real life, since 1 gun kills just as quickly as 5 as long as you hit the target, I'm not sure how that affects tactical realism.
Only available by redeeming it on UPlay, realistic difficulty. Enemies die in one shot! And so do you!

I joke, but the recent CoD tried this and utterly missed the point. Black Ops 3 had you die in one hit. But the enemies still retain their normal health values, making it a impossible to play, unfair pile of garbage.:suicide:

Orv
May 4, 2011
I look forward to seeing what lessons The Division, a potentially bad game, fails to learn from Destiny, a game that took a year and a half to be a good game.

wjs5
Aug 22, 2009

limited posted:

hilariously over-tuned and have no matchmaking so a hefty chunk of the playerbase can't even access a raid, let alone finish it. :toot:

Note matchmaking is a thing you can do for all the missions. From the vids I have watched.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

wjs5 posted:

Note matchmaking is a thing you can do for all the missions. From the vids I have watched.

The vids I have watched were all youtubers in the same building having their games set up by Ubisoft employees. If they really do have matchmaking that might make it worth a buy - I hated trying to find people for Destiny.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

if the "raids" in this game are just "shoot stuff" with no mechanics or timing involved then matchmaking will work very well

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Roman posted:

if the "raids" in this game are just "shoot stuff" with no mechanics or timing involved then matchmaking will work very well

I had no problem doing raids with pubbies in Destiny. It was just a pain to get going.

PenguinScotty
Nov 13, 2012

Hotpants Icecream

Roman posted:

I dearly hope that there is something like raids in this. So far they've avoided talking about a lot of endgame stuff like the plague, especially raids. They've preached a fair bit of "HEY! You can replay missions on Hard mode!" as well as "Darkzone will scale differently once you hit 30!", but literally nothing pertaining to raids, which worries me quite a bit, honestly, since i'd rather play it PvE instead of PvPvE.

wjs5
Aug 22, 2009
Well hopefully we will get more answers after the beta period starts up.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Croccers posted:

It's Ubisoft and UBisoft games are 9 times as bad as video games if Hilter designed them :goonsay:

considering the volkswagon and his general success with politics im sure hitler could design a very competent and enjoyable game

Av027
Aug 27, 2003
Qowned.

Reverse Centaur posted:

The vids I have watched were all youtubers in the same building having their games set up by Ubisoft employees. If they really do have matchmaking that might make it worth a buy - I hated trying to find people for Destiny.

They do. I've seen several vids where the player interacted with an interface outside of a mission (Madison Square Garden in all of them, unsurprisingly), where the difficulty of the mission could be toggled, and there was an option for "Matchmaking" there. Bound to the Y button on the controller if I'm not mistaken.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Has anyone got a beta code from the sign up website instead of pre-ordering?

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD
I got mine from an Nvidia promo

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
So what constitutes a raid in a MMOFPS? Shoot the weakpoint, dodge the attacks, kill the adds, shoot weakpoint, repeat 3 times? I'm imagining something like the last boss of Gears of War 3.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

So what constitutes a raid in a MMOFPS? Shoot the weakpoint, dodge the attacks, kill the adds, shoot weakpoint, repeat 3 times? I'm imagining something like the last boss of Gears of War 3.

Destiny's involve mechanics around activating switches in certain orders, jumping puzzles for randomly selected members of the party, various mechanics around buffs and debuffs that the players create or carry. They're designed to focus on team coordination more than DPS optimization. In each of the fights, you have to decide who's going to take which roles (unless a role is randomly thrust upon you, then people have to fill in), unless you are a regular group with things very established.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

Subjunctive posted:

Destiny's involve mechanics around activating switches in certain orders, jumping puzzles for randomly selected members of the party, various mechanics around buffs and debuffs that the players create or carry. They're designed to focus on team coordination more than DPS optimization. In each of the fights, you have to decide who's going to take which roles (unless a role is randomly thrust upon you, then people have to fill in), unless you are a regular group with things very established.

That's a point actually, some of us are assuming that the raids will be boring because it's all just human enemies with different numbers of health and damage. But there could definitely be environmental threat set-pieces where you have to maintain the quarantine or keep a generator working or stop infected material enter a river or something.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009

Vitamin P posted:

That's a point actually, some of us are assuming that the raids will be boring because it's all just human enemies with different numbers of health and damage. But there could definitely be environmental threat set-pieces where you have to maintain the quarantine or keep a generator working or stop infected material enter a river or something.

This could be an interesting take on the Destiny raids, as long s they find a way to make them as fun as the better parts of the Destiny raids, and not just a longer mission that you can go on. I guess you could do some timing puzzle things like "go activate the distress beacons in order to tell the air support where the civilians are, but if you gently caress up a jet drops a jdam on them" or some weird thing like that.

Does anyone have any extra ps4 beta codes? I'm tempted to pre-order this as I enjoy Destiny when theres new content to explore and have liked Tom Clancy games in the past so I'm definitely super interested in this game.

V for Vegans fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jan 26, 2016

Furiously
Jan 4, 2014

...and Furiously as The Beagle.
Any interest in some goon groups for the beta weekend? I'll likely be playing on the PC.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Hezzy are you getting this on PC or the bone

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!

Vitamin P posted:

You got debuffed by the dollar bill AIDS! Run to the glowing circle and hide behind a knee-high wall and empty 3 clips into an enemy to pass it on!!!!

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Furiously posted:

Any interest in some goon groups for the beta weekend? I'll likely be playing on the PC.

I'll be playing on PC too. I joined the steam group. we should get a discord channel going or something.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Hey PS4 bros (it says 1/26 but that's when I started the download. Beta drops on the 29th)

Add me on PSN (same as forums username) to party up this weekend!

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Orv posted:

I look forward to seeing what lessons The Division, a potentially bad game, fails to learn from Destiny, a game that took a year and a half to be a good game.

Look forward to playing a bad co op game set in an infected city again, this time with less parkour

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
If you put in a beta code on PC, its also available for preload on uPlay.

EDIT: 26 gigs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

Lblitzer posted:

Hey PS4 bros (it says 1/26 but that's when I started the download. Beta drops on the 29th)

Add me on PSN (same as forums username) to party up this weekend!

How did you get the download started? I'm not seeing an option for it.

• Locked thread