Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
This game was one of which that made me want to buy a PS4. Been waiting for it for a while now and now that's its almost here, I'm just kinda blah about it. Not too blah about it, apparently, as I've been searching these forums and asked about it in the PS4 thread a few days ago. And the reason I'm kind of blah is the damned bullet sponge damage model. I don't give a rats patoot about the RPG aspect of it - which is a source of comedy over on the Division subreddit. Every post about the sponginess of it is met with ITS AN AAARREEPEEEEEGEEE NOT A SHOOOTERRR GO PLAY COD ITS NOT FOR YOU hivemind. I can forgive Uncharted for being a bit spongy but headshots are rewarded with basically a one shot kill.

Reddit is loving weird, by the way, but I digress....

I still preordered it. I still will play the beta. I will play this piece of crap game that could have been awesome if not for a few minor things (crap AI, emptying multiple mags into what looks like a normal trash NPC).

Look me up on PSN...CrimsonTide1125

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
There's been rumor that amazon is going to be cracking down on that (preordering, getting the code, then cancelling), so be wary of it.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I think it was mentioned in one of the couple dozen videos that the devs gave them level 20 characters to play with purple weapons. So, not too sure about that. I would have to start watching a bunch of videos to be sure.

What I am pretty sure about is that it didn't look like the guys were taking advantage of certain bonuses to up their damage output. So there is that.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Jerkface posted:

Cracking down how? I don't see how they could

I don't know how either unless publishers are letting amazon know that a beta code has been redeemed.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Eh, I'm ok with that.

I'm mainly going to use to tune up my Xim4 set up on my PS4.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

MagnumOpus posted:

Looked fine to me. Low TTK compared to the bullet-sponge stuff seen in some streams. Environments very detailed. Lots of pickups all around.

That TTK looks much better than what was shown earlier.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Lblitzer posted:

If you highlight your username in the top right hand corner a small dropdown menu will appear, go to "Download List" and a list of games your purchased will be in there.

Is that on the PSN website or the PS4 itself?

Also, reading the official forums at ubisoft is like :stonklol: It's pretty bad.

Tide fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jan 26, 2016

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

he1ixx posted:

I bought the digital copy via PSN and thought it went through the successful sign up on their site. It wasn't completely clear if it was activated. Regardless, this is kind of a bummer.

I think it might appear in your library? Or it may push through regardless. I turn my PS4 completely off last night so I can't force a download and not sure if I can see my library via the app or the website.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Is there a way to change the rate of fire with automatic weapons? Instead of full auto can you switch to single shot of 2-3 round bursts? Or is it pretty much all in unless its specifically burst or single shot gun?

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

grimcreaper posted:

Yeah, IF you play with 4 people all the time.

Dont have 3 other friends? Your hosed if you step into the dark zone. My experience for last few hours put 3 of 4 extraction points being camped at all times and the last one being swarmed by assholes immediately upon calling for extraction.

I knew it would be this way. I dont know why i was surprised. Theres no reason to actively TRY and get your own loot in the Dark Zone. Its easier to just kill players going to extraction zones, steal their poo poo during call down, and rinse and repeat.

Im just glad i got to play the beta. Ill be cancelling my pre-order in a few minutes.

How can you possibly be posting in the Games section and NOT play any sort of online game with goons? Games are always better with goons (at least temporarily until everyone decides to chase the next shiny at any given point up to and just after release date).

If you can't even find a goon to play with, that's on you.

And I'm pretty sure DZ shennanigans will probably calm down a little after launch so. But feel free to whine about it a little more. It's not like you went into this completely naive and didn't know what to expect. It's like blaming fire for burning you when you stick your hand in the flame.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

ScorpioMajesty posted:

I'm going to play on PC despite the potential for hackers.

Theres reports that you can change all your data client side. Want 10000 rounds of ammo? Adjust a line in the client and the server simply accepts that you have 10000 rounds of ammo. As much as I abhor reddit, here's a post explaining it far better than I can:

https://www.reddit.com/r/thedivision/comments/43jr61/pc_version_will_be_plagued_with_cheaters/

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah it'd be nice if you could like set some kinda rogue-lock, so that if you shoot people on accident it doesn't hurt them and you don't get flagged as rogue. But then I guess you could use that to shoot at people and trick them into shooting back and going rogue themselves. Hmm.

There's a pretty decent grief potential to get other 'good' agents to turn rogue by sending out a rabbit to take a couple pot shots at them...enough to get their attention but not enough to turn rogue. Then lure them to a killing zone once the 'good' guys shoot enough to flag as rogue.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Subjunctive posted:

Except that they explicitly said, in game, that you have to go to the Dark Zone for the best gear.

No you don't.

The best loot has the highest chances of dropping in the DZ but can be obtained in the PvE sections of the game, albeit at a lower drop rate.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

RCarr posted:

This may be true, but they DO specifically say, in game, that the best gear drops in the Dark Zone .

Nobody is arguing that it doesn't. The point is, you can get the same quality loot without ever having stepped foot in the DZ. So not really sure what your angle is here?

Subjunctive posted:

In the intro from the Ubi dude, they explicitly said that for the best gear you had to go into the DZ. Maybe that will prove to be inaccurate later, but it's what they said, and I haven't seen any statement from them indicating otherwise.

When it was announced that the DZ had the best equipment, the anti-PvP crowd went berserk. It was mentioned in several of the videos since that you CAN get the SAME loot outside the DZ, it will simply have a lower drop chance. I'll try and find the vids but it's been said multiple times

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Why is pulse a medical skill?

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Dead Like Rev posted:

OH MY GOD A CLOSED BETA HAD A GLITCH IM GONNA GIVE THIS GAME NEG REP AND SLAM ANYONE THAT PLAYS IT!

Swear to god the mentality of people these days.

People think a $60 game is the same as a down payment on a house and think they will forever be financially ruined and emotionally scarred if it doesn't turn out to be Video Game Jesus.

otherwise known as gamers.txt

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone playing this on a PS4 with a Xim4? If so, what ST are you using?

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Beta was fun. Got a nice shotgun that took down NPCs and players pretty quickly, so I was doing that avoidance jump/roll thing everywhere, cover to cover and absolutely smoking some fools. Got yelled at for being an aim botting bunny hopper (I was using the xim4). On the PS4.

Awesome and can't wait for live

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Billy Elliot posted:

How good is the xim? I got a $50 other branded mouse/kb box and I have a tough time doing fine precision aiming as it seems to jump and not be smooth.

It works, I'm not expecting it to be a mpuse/kb good, but do you have issues with the precision? I might get an xim if I do get this to play console with my buddies if things die out PC side with friends (less friends playing on PC than PS4 but buying PC).

Very very good. Once the official profile comes out, will be even better. The only downside to it right now is the grenade and buff selection. It's possible but a bit fiddly. You have to set a 'turn assist' key that you press and hold with the appropriate key to select which grenade you are going to use, then move the mouse in the direction you want to select, then release the grenade key then the turn assist. It's only a problem when you want to switch. Otherwise it's easy.

It's basically god mode in fps games on a console. I went from a .70 or so kdr in BF4 to 3:1, quickly.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

el B posted:

Xim worked really well for me, too. Only complaint was grenade selection and emotes. Not sure how they'll address it when the smart translator comes out.

You have to use the turn assist function

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

eSporks posted:

The "cost" of a digital game is $0.

Say what now

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

eSporks posted:

He was talking about them selling a keyboard "at cost" in the context of a bundle with a digital game. The words "at cost" means the cost to the manufacturer for time and materials to build that product. It does not include research and development or engineering, just the amount of a money it costs the company to manufacturer that one specific keyboard. A digital game does not cost anything to make as there is nothing to make. Its just bandwidth. This is why those bundles exist. Both companies get advertisement off it and the game company can afford to sell their product "at cost" or "near cost" because there is no cost.

You are really, really, really, really, really, REALLY loving wrong. Like, holy poo poo how is it possible that you have the capacity to breathe much less use a computer wrong.

Nevermind the development costs to make the game in the first place, because that's a huge cost, there's also the delivery structure that has costs - server rental/purchase, bandwidth (i.e. the internet to deliver it to you), support structure in terms of people to make sure it runs smoothly. I could keep going, but goddamn are you loving wrong

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

lilspooky posted:

So he's wrong?

Just a bit.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I think that's their plan.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Only Americans are allowed to be cops, hunters and firemen in Tom Clancy's New York City.

Us "foreigns" are only allowed to be garbage men, chimney sweeps and lost farmers.

Taxi drivers.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
If I do have a gripe about this game, and it's a pretty big one considering how important it is, is the cover system and consumable mechanics suck rear end on console. Aiming is ok. It's amazing to me that they didn't just copy the cover system in, say, Uncharted / The Last of Us considering it's arguably the best of any third person shooter out there.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

dogstile posted:

That's weird because that's precisely the opposite reaction my group and I got in the beta. Everything was smooth as hell.

The cover in TD works, no doubt. But having to press a button to go into cover when TLOU or Uncharted, the cover activates by simple pressing up against the wall (or whatever). It's much more fluid.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

BadLlama posted:

Personally I don't like that because then my guy starts going into cover when all I want is to be near the wall or thing or whatever. I mean there system seems like it could be modified so that you either press button to enter cover or can just run into it pretty easily no?

You would think, but...Ubisoft.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

super macho dude posted:

also, how the gently caress did you use consumables on a console?

Right (I think) dpad, hold, find the consumable with the R stick, let go of dpad while the consumable is highlighted.

It sucked.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Lore: Virus is unleashed on New York during Black Friday by way of paper currency. Society breaks down. Bad guys take over. Lots of people dead.

You, a highly trained sleeper agent, are tasked with taking back New York and restoring society.

The end.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
There was some ARG type stuff not too long ago. And there's the community-intel site and whatever the US version is. The Agent Origins are probably the best snapshot of it.

If you're into the lore, as I am, probably best to wait and find out in game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I used my pistol all the time when running around not really looking for missions, but just random encounters by spamming the pulse ability. I would rather upgrade my pistol than anything else

• Locked thread