Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

TG-Chrono posted:

lol assault paramedic

looks alright.

kinda dig the cop and the firefighter and the paramedic.

played the alpha and it feels like destiny with mass effect 2. not a bad design and it was fun. ill pick it up.

TG-Chrono posted:

Yeah the setting of something like Mass Effect or Destiny allows for really strong visual differences in the factions. I know of two factions in TheDiv so far has shown the 'Rikers' and the 'Cleaners'(?) where one is more melee and the other are roaming flamer dudes? Yeah, need to sell me more on the bad dudes cause everything else seems pretty alright.

there are 3 so far, maybe more in the full game or in add on.

1. regular hoods, criminals, gangbangers, run of the mill generic dudes.

2. rikers, dudes who escaped when rikers fell and formed their own thing,

3. burners, sanitation workers/other people who formed their own militia to deal with the city, by killing and burning everything that isnt them or posibly infected with virus.

muscles like this? posted:

I'm wondering if some of the bullet sponge enemies might have something to do with the nature of the preview builds where they didn't really have upgraded/customized weapons.

this. once you upgrade weapons, level up. you can slaughter the gently caress out of weaker enemies. from what i have scene. alot of areas are split into leveled zones alot like destiny. so level 3 dudes against a level 8 player, get wasted easy. aka like every other rpg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Vitamin P posted:

So Guys with handguns and hoods, Guys with shotguns and orange jumpsuits and Guys with flamethrowers and gas masks.

Like I get what you're saying but those are enemy types, not full-on interesting factions.

pretty much. maybe there will be more in game(who knows)

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

beer_war posted:

It will maybe be kind of like Destiny, apparently.

its destiny if it played like mass effect 2 gamplay and rpg mechanics.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Lumpy posted:

I played for an hour on PS4 this morning. This game wasn't really on my radar before Monday, so I had no expectations, and am not really familiar with "cover shooters" or 3rd person games, so I guess maybe I am an unbiased reviewer? Anyway, my initial impressions:
  • HUD is a bit busy, but I imagine I'll figure it out over time...
  • Enemies were not "Bullet Sponges"... not two shot kills either, but I never felt "OMG this is dumb". The named boss at the end of the Medical mission I did had armor and so on, but he was a boss, so that's expected. I was dropping the "thug" dudes fairly quickly.
  • Movement felt pretty good and smooth
  • Cover system (again, I'm not used to them!) is pretty intuitive, even for me, and the way you can move from cover to cover is pretty cool. There are options in the settings that let you change some stuff, but I didn't touch those yet.
  • Visually, game is nice. Not jaw-dropping, but it looks good, FPS seemed smooth, and the environment is well done.
  • No loading screens at all! Very cool.
  • Seeing other players roaming around and being able to invite them (although I didn't) was cool.
  • Missions all seem "go there, shoot dudes, collect a thing / person and you did it!" type stuff. Nothing groundbreaking, but I only played for an hour, so maybe there are more types.
  • Shooting is pretty decent, guns are less accurate than many shooters I have played, which I think works well in what I've seen: if it had the accuracy of say, Destiny, the battles would be over real quick I think.
  • The whole gear / equipment thing is a bit overwhelming... then again, it's an RPG, so I imagine that's a good thing! Maybe the release will have more HOW TO on it.

So far, so good. Enjoyable shooter game!

this. its alot more fluid and less bullet sponge then the alpha.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Perestroika posted:

Dark Zones really do allow for some amazing shenanigans. We ended up at an extraction zone with almost everybody else in the zone, and because everybody seemed to be so afraid of everybody else people just took turns extracting their stuff in peace. Well, until we came along:

https://giant.gfycat.com/SeriousAdmiredAlligatorgar.webm

Killed everybody, took their stuff, and extracted it with the chopper they had just called in :laugh:

Sure, they eventually hunted us down (I dunno how you're supposed to actually win the Manhunt when the timer resets pretty much all the time?), but the scrambling, running gunfight resulting from that was almost even more fun than the ambush itself. The Dark Zones really do have potential to make for a very fun and tense gameplay mechanic. You're always risking something, but never so much that it'd be a very big pain to lose it.

oh god, the voice chat rage must have been beutiful.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Thing is, that's the point.

Depiction is not the same thing as condoning. The idea is that they're cleansers, which is bad. But I guess they figure Americans are too sensitive, lol.

Nah you got it backwards. In the EU its "cleansed". In the US its "sanitized".

your not using the logic that people who would be "offended" by this are using. showing/saying something(even if its done or said by the baddies)= endorsing it.

anyway i thought the trailer was pretty cool.

blackguy32 posted:

But sanitizing is much more accurate.

true. they basically think if they can burn anyone or anything with even the slightest chance of infection, it will save the city.

Phi230 posted:

Tom Clancy books went off the deep end the moment the cold war ended. He only really wrote like 2-3 good books during post cold war and they're all hawkish caricatures of the world as it is.

this. his 4 or so original ones are pretty good. aka the ones that were made into movies with harrison ford) the rest is meh or hosed up. the games tend to be not out right political. though SP convictions has you executing some right wing clown on the presidents desk.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Tatum Girlparts posted:

^^^yeaaa I could see that there'd be some EU countries who would be not wild about a video of dudes cleansing the unclean with flame...

Yea one of the things keeping me out of it was I thought this was a zombie-esque game and I just could not give less a poo poo about brave survivors gunning zombies down yet again. Then I watched videos and oh it's brave survivors gunning down other human beings, and that's a-okay by me!

this. I am so glad they didnt got the zombie/infected route. its been done to death.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Revol posted:

Did everyone see this article? Don't think it was posted yet.

THE DIVISION DOESN’T WANT YOU TO THINK ABOUT 9/11

She doesn't seem to like the gameplay, which a valid article could be written about. But her real problem with the game is that it doesn't address 9/11, and in fact, a developer told her that not only was it never brought up during development, that they had never been asked about it before.

loving killscreen is the worst. they make polygon look legit. they always find something "deeply problematic". I can see some of her points but then is just desolves into bullshit when she gets mad that the game doesn't have some DEEP POLITICAL AGENDA.

also quoting a dude from the comments.

quote:

the virus in the game obviously forced the city/government to quarantine a big area of the city, stores are not open, NYPD, NYFD and hospitals are gone in a wide area for many days/weeks. There is no way to compare a localised disaster like 9/11 happening in a still fully functional society to Manhattan full of bodies and survivors of a uncurable virus attack left behind on their own and at anyones mercy. Asking first responders from 9/11 would be very useless, their situation was nowhere near the one portrayed in the game.

aka the author is clickbait dipshit

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Feb 10, 2016

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Dog Fat Man Chaser posted:

Why are you shooting back at these people who literally attempt to kill you on sight :(

because violence in games is bad or something and will make you evil.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Man I'll defend places like Polygon if I think there's a valid point buried in wankery, but this is just pure clickbait. (Popular Game) 9/11 BUZZWORDS PROBLEMATIC READ MORE!!!!

Looks like someone on Reddit found the patch notes by the way

Can't speak to how these changes sound since I'm new to the party but the reaction on Reddit seems to be positive.

agreed. polygon does do good articles sometimes (iran gaming scene, a few others) sad thing is i am sure this wont be the last article talking about something "problamatic for clicks" about the division.

seems like the public demo/beta will have new story mission, and new side missions, plus more unlocks and patched stuff.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Feb 10, 2016

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Plan Z posted:

Chaos Theory holds up pretty well if you go into thinking it's just a really well-refined final version of the first two games. Blacklist is very good, but it's kind of a large departure in terms of story. The makers were obviously really into Mass Effect, as you have a base in a C-130 that's basically The Normandy, and Fisher even looks and sounds like Shepard (Michael Ironside doesn't voice him :( ). The gameplay is really damned good, though.

this. there were a few to many insta fail sections that sucked rear end. and the game drags some in the middle and the side quests are pointless. but its pretty fun. I actualy liked Carlo Rota in that game because he hams it up a bunch.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

SlayVus posted:

Compare it to any other shooter RPG and it's still different. Borderlands, Fallout, Hellgate London, Alpha Protocol, Star Trek Online, Warframe. Weapon handling alone in Division is just plain bad.

seriously. borderlands has some of the worst shooting of any shooter. all the guns are basically peashooters that seem to have no visible effect on enemies.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

The Asian guy looks fairly realistic, but everybody else is super uncanny valley. Kinda weird yeah.

Also "The Division" is an odd name for a group trying to put society back together. I get that its like a military division but the term 'division' means to divide, not to build or re-unite or heal or whatever.

I guess "guardians" was already taken :cheeky:

true. i think its short for something longer, which i am pretty sure they say at some point.

Hopper posted:

Well, we don't play random civilians turned heroes, but an actual military unit. Hence in the tradition of espionage/:tinfoil: military fiction, referring to the unit as "the division" makes total sense. To the casual listener it will give nothing away about the nature of this unit except for the fact that it is
a division, cause it is all top secrety and stuff.

Edit: drat. Just found out I will be busy all Friday evening/Sat during the day... I wish I was a teenager and could just bail to play games...

basicaly it takes the old conspiracy/probaly fact that a ton of americans in country are sleeper agents, waiting to be activated in case of a national "poo poo got loving real" emergency. the game is based off of the operation dark winter war games report that was declasified a few years ago.

dark winter was a real thing. ubisoft made a slick info video about it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcuoD0vxOIY

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Vadoc posted:

Nicky is never coming back.

i doubt any of them, (except maybe jordi) are coming back for 2. ubisoft heard loud and clear how much most people hated aidan, so my guess is new protag.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

I've got a question about the setting.

In the opening cutscene (gently caress, please let us skip it on retail, I don't want to sit through that a 3rd time) they talk about how NYC is pretty hosed and even the first wave of The Division dudes got owned, but we're NOT GIVING UP because we're RETAKING THE CITY HOORAH.

But.... why?

If this is like, post-apocalypse, why bother fighting over the city? What major resources does it even have?

I'd say gently caress NYC, just go build a new military base out in the boonies and start shipping survivors out there.

Also holy poo poo am I sick of the "helicopter intro" cliche. Its been done to death Ubisoft. Just don't.

there is apperently alot more to the intro, they just using the end of it for the beta/alpha. I think it is just NYC/maybe east coast thats hosed up. not the entire nation

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

limited posted:

Sorry to the goons I was playing with, I had to drop out because I had a awesome bug. ALL the voice audio was missing from that last mission we did. So it started playing sequentially as soon as I zoned into the HQ and it was driving me loving crazy overlaid with all the NPC chatter. :psyduck:

Kind of sad the shotguns seem to have taken a tap with the nerf-bat compared to the earlier footage. Back to the videogame standard range where they're only effective when it would be quickier and easier just to punch people anyway. :sigh: Loved the LMG though. The new environments are pretty drat interesting. That loving subway. :stare:

yeah, the subway, is great, but that the mass grave of coffins of the fire fighters with the american flags wrapped around them

so far i really like it, more so then i thought i would. cant wait till my copy ships

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Feb 20, 2016

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

lilspooky posted:

IGN released this footage of level 25 play (so basically close to if not end-game play) and it's a bit worrisome since it appears to be "just more of the same" but with what I assume are just bigger numbers on gear. The devs claim they're holding back a lot of stuff and while I hope that's true I've been playing games for a good long while and learned a long time ago that when devs either over-promise or stay way too hush-hush about things it's a bad sign. I hope they do add a bunch of stuff though. The game is solid and fun for at least an afternoon, but I have to agree with an earlier goon's post that you have to wonder what the "time to boredom" rating on it is if they don't really add a substantial amount of content and variety.

IGN footage: http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/02/19/the-division-multi-channel-late-game-mission-ign-first-placeholder

I am not sure. Ubisoft is pretty good at hiding stuff before the game comes out. they have done it a few times with the AC games (1, 3 and syndicate) my guess is they have the "main" storyline under raps and have only show us the side content, like 3 branchs missions and the small side stuff.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

DreamShipWrecked posted:

They might hide some minor things like details of maps or some new enemy types but don't think for a second that they would withhold any cool big detail that would help boost preorders sales

gameplay wise i agree. i just mean they probably have another baddie faction hidden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Snuffman posted:

Looks like the Uplay challenges and rewards are up.

Pretty standard stuff, just some clothing options, crafting materials...though there is a worrying "Phoenix Credit Pack" which sounds suspiciously like "Helix Credits" in that its used to "purchase high end weapons". Hmm. :raise:

The broker outfit is pretty ball'n. I look forward to living out my American Psycho fantasies and gun down homeless people educate people about how wonderful Genesis is. :getin:

Oh, and closed/open beta folk can unlock the sports team hat and jacket.

EDIT:

Waaaait...is the "iconic" jacket Aiden's jacket from Watch_Dogs? Autistic Batman lives! :haw:

i like the broker jacket and the soundtrack. hapily i have a shiton of ubipoints.

• Locked thread