Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Bullet sponge enemies remind me of dead island where enemy health at higher levels was so much that it was better to just knockdown and headstomp everything.

They really should have made it so enemy leathality increases with levels, and players have to equip better armor/gear to survive harsher zones. Gunplay and perks could have been designed to make it easier to go into different situations without taking as many bullets to the dome instead of level X gun does this much more damage to enemy with X more health.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Has there been any encounters with the infected yet? I'm surprised they aren't going full L4D with lepers and special boss lepers.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Triple A posted:

Pretty certain the infection itself is more Spanish Flu 2.0 rather than zombie disease number 1235264236357568976954675653435474568456784576.

I'd rather have a zombie disease if it meant more enemy types. Nothings worse than killing 1235264236357568976954675653435474568456784576 generic humans with slightly different clothing.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
For those of you who are looking for a Co-Op shooter on the PC and aren't picky about graphics, Sven-Coop just released on steam as a fully free stand-alone.
Notable games you can play in Co-Op include:
Half-Life
Opposing Force
They Hunger

Otherwise there's hundreds of maps that change the game entirely, you can go from a straight up fps to a fantasy RPG to a cartoon fantasy land shoot-em up. All for $100 less than a full-pass to The Division.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

limaCAT posted:

That's the same argument I used to hear about :filez: games versus the originals during university 20 years ago. "Why are you spending money on that thing?" Umm, because I am an addict who loves the industry and want the industry to make more stuff? With modern gameplay, quality of life increments and better graphics? With artists getting paid and in turn making the best job they could do? Even if in this case It's not illegal to play sven coop the point about the cost of the Division and Season Pass gets a bit moot once you get to play the game for more than one or two hundred hours, provided of course, the game does not turn into hogwash (either at launch or down the line because they want to get rid of solo players, for example). It's a cost you can decide to pay or not to pay. It's a risk, but it's still an acceptable choice (you could smoke that money in cigarettes, or on the powerball if you are a complete moron). Also it's quite cool for sven coop to be free since the original half life will turn twenty in a couple of years.

I'm all for paying for every game, hell I even pitched in for Sven-Coop back in the early 2000s, but my issue with modern gaming is that they haven't been living up to their hype. Charging $60-$100 for a game that ends up becoming repetitive after 20-30 hours. Selling a seasonal pass (Which means they can 'end' the season at any time) for $40 is also lovely when at most, its going to be: one raid, survival mode, and perhaps the post-story ending.

Lately the risk has been closer to powerball as far as 'Great' games go, and you can never tell with betas like this one that lock out content, you don't know how in-depth things will actually be. You either preorder now, hope its a good game and save money, or wait till it goes on sale and everyone else is done playing it.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Do they have any stealth options available in the beta? Or is it purely going to be Heal/Dps/Tank?

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Republicans posted:

I worry that will be the entire pve game, though. It's too bad the virus is just the plain ol' killing kind and not the kind that creates a fun variety of monsters to fight.

Careful, there's a couple hipster spergs here that complain the second you say 'zombie/monster'. Don't want to ruin their immersion of spending half a mag on hooded thugs.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
This is one of those games where I'm surprised they didn't get creative with the hunting aspect. Could have made an ability that displays footprints so you can actually chase people down by following the clues.

Instead we get a wallhack scanner whose main counter is itself.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
I can see the big problem with end game and loot is going to be the same as in WoW. Lvl 20 characters just entering the DZ will have to go up against min-maxed monstrosities.

Unless they add loot-lvl restricted ranking, which would then further divide the player base.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Tei posted:

They will be in a different instance.

In the beta, there was a instance for levels 1-7 and another for 8-8.

In release they will have something like 1-12 , 12-20, 20-30, 30-35 (or whatever is the cap, I don't know).

I meant level cap. When you reach Max level going into the dark zone, you'll be pitted against other people who may have been playing longer, thus so geared out that you can't affect them despite being the same level.

Basically, if stats on gear are too significant, then late players are going to struggle big time against the guy who marathoned the game and now one-shots undergeared players coming in.
But if stats are too insignificant, then it won't feel like there's progress.

Then you have to worry about stat balance: does damage, health, or tech scale better than the others? Wrong decision and you'll have to regrind for entirely new gear unless you want to be at a disadvantage.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Do we know exactly what suppression does and how it's activated? Like to do have to be on cover to apply it to someone?

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Billy Elliot posted:

Arguably, D3 was PC first and then ported to console. You'll get conspiracy theorist saying it was always designed for consoles though.

Generally you can tell when a game is designed with consoles in mind because they limit skill abilities to 4 so console players can use the dpad to activate them.
Hence why WoW has 20+ abilities a class and D3 only let's you have four at a time.

Oversimplification in gaming happens because games need to work on consoles and cater to the largest audience possible.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

MagnumOpus posted:

This is why Clancy stuff is fun. Plausible scenarios set in modern times would be boring as poo poo.

Except for the fact that it's a dead horse thanks to Clancy. Hell, even writers in his footsteps are still regurgitating these story plots.

I'm reading The Atlantis Gene and it's the same loving story that Dexo just posted.

It always boils down to some secret, compromised, para/military organization with the main guy/group having to go semi-rogue to stop the bad guy/government from destroying the world/'Murica.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Mr. Unlucky posted:

its like Destiny but replace the one thing they got perfect (the aesthetic) with the blandest possible generic army mans bullshit thats been plaguing fps games for the past 2 decades.

That's my problem, Mass Effect 3 multi-player was a cover shooter with 4 enemy factions that had 6+ unique units in each faction.

So far this game has humans and one unit that has a flamethrower.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

CrashCat posted:

Yeah, since people in the DZ are gonna be roaming in packs of four, dropping them all with a bolt action is gonna be really tough unless you have an amazing camping spot AND something to hide you from pulses.

Well from what we know of the ability and perk trees so far is the best counter to pulses will be... pulses with the hide perk. Then I guess the improved cover from the Security/Tank tree will hide you if you're behind it.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Lars Blitzer posted:

and Adam Jensen's sunglasses.
He didn't ask for this.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Dead Like Rev posted:

HAY GUYS THERES AN OPEN BETA TOMORROW BUT I REFUSE TO PLAY IT BUT WHATS YOUR OPINION ON THIS GAME THAT I WANT TO PLAY

Why are there so many posts like that?

It's the curse of star citizen. Jaded goons don't want to spend one-hundo on another failure.

Comically, people could just wait the first week to see reviews come in instead of forming a critical review based off of Alpa/beta footage.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Goon PC building thread repeats this poo poo non-stop: there's always going to be new parts on the horizon, just build your system at a price-point comfortable to you because Moore's Law is currently at 2 1/2 years.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Jarmak posted:

Maybe if you're running 1080p60 this is silly, some of us are trying to push 4k

And 8K is around the corner, silly you for purchasing a 4K.

Rhyme is right. Unless there's a PC revolution, games are going to run fine on your Oculus/1080 monitor.

For those of you buying 4-8K monitors, I suggest getting some glasses for cheaper, that way they can de-magnify your vision from apparently seeing individual pixels on a 1080p.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Sure the m240 spews bullets and is built like tank, but in looking forward to the m60 with the steady *chunk chunk chunk* of rounds being fired while probably not doing a lot of damage because video game reasons.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Morter posted:

Huh. I actually liked the double barreled shotguns, really. My only problem with the other shotguns was that they reloaded too slow

They're great for pve since AI tends to bum rush you without taking cover, but the low magazine count keeps it from being useful when melee is just as effective.

What I'm saying is this game needs modified 1887s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Rabble posted:

The story is that you're taking back New York from looters and other factions, not that there are infected people you're trying to kill, right? Gonna laugh when the big reveal is dollar virus zombies.

Yeah, what could be worse than bros in hoodies taking two magazines to kill amirite?

• Locked thread