Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
The fact that the vehicles were still in working order suggests that the Mountain Men took them out occasionally - perhaps they deployed Reaper road workers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Wife and I just started this show. We are about 6 episodes into season 1. Good loving show. Lots of unexpected deaths. Did not see Wells getting shanked in episode 3. The section 17 scene was loving brutal to watch. Also gently caress Murphy.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Teek posted:

I wondered that too. I guess we just half to chalk it up to them clearing out some existing roads/paths in the intervening 3 months. I actually felt the timeskip might have better served the show if it was more like a year. I'm not sure it would have really affected much had it been longer.

Could also have been a "future road" that is more durable than our modern roads. Remember the apocalypse took place like 50-100 years or so after our time.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
They made a road.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

There's so much good poo poo in the premiere but I love the understated moment where Murphy gives this "hate makes me who I am" speech to Jaha so he won't join his dumb cult... and then he sees a girl he wants to bone and jumps onboard.

Classic Murphy.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

nerdman42 posted:

There's so much good poo poo in the premiere but I love the understated moment where Murphy gives this "hate makes me who I am" speech to Jaha so he won't join his dumb cult... and then he sees a girl he wants to bone and jumps onboard.

Classic Murphy.

Murphy rules.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
Murphy has been my favorite character ever since he spent the first few episodes of season 2 tagging along making sarcastic quips about how much he tried to kill everybody

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Monicro posted:

Murphy has been my favorite character ever since he spent the first few episodes of season 2 tagging along making sarcastic quips about how much he tried to kill everybody

I think, more than any other character, it's pretty clear that the writers wanted to adjust his character from his initial personality. It was a great adjustment. It's like season 1 Michael Scott to season 2 Michael Scott level of improvement.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Murphy is the best because when he's the voice of reason, you hosed up real bad.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Wow. I looked up the stuff with Steve Talley (Wick) when I saw the posts, and drat.

Just tons of racist, sexist, homophobic etc. tweets. You have to be pretty dumb to put that on Twitter when you're on TV. Or in general, but especially on TV.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

SalTheBard posted:

Wife and I just started this show. We are about 6 episodes into season 1. Good loving show. Lots of unexpected deaths. Did not see Wells getting shanked in episode 3. The section 17 scene was loving brutal to watch. Also gently caress Murphy.

For the love of God, please update us regularly on your progress.

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
So are they done with the Watership Down plot or is the A.I. the house cat that attacks Hazel?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Duck Rodgers posted:

So are they done with the Watership Down plot or is the A.I. the house cat that attacks Hazel?

Does that make Clarke Fiver?
Badass.

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012

Error 404 posted:

Does that make Clarke Fiver?
Badass.

No Clarke is Hazel. Jaha is Fiver (in season 2 at least).

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

How long did Octavia actually spend with Indra? Like a week?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
So I'm praising this show high and low to all my friends, and I got to thinking how it really is unfortunate how much better season 2 is compared to season 1. What I really wonder is how much of season 1 can reasonably be skipped in order to get to the good parts. Not much I think?

Even that godawful pilot.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Shiiiiiiiit I forgot this started up again

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.

The Iron Rose posted:

So I'm praising this show high and low to all my friends, and I got to thinking how it really is unfortunate how much better season 2 is compared to season 1. What I really wonder is how much of season 1 can reasonably be skipped in order to get to the good parts. Not much I think?

Even that godawful pilot.

I just started re-watching from the beginning, finished the fourth episode recently, and I'd say by the third the show had already gotten good. There's cringeworthy stuff in the first two, but when Clarke mercy kills a guy when the tough-talking Bellamy couldn't, learns her mom was responsible for her dad's death, and a little girl stabs one-third of the love triangle in the throat, that's some good TV. The fallout in episode four had Murphy's lynching, Charlotte's suicide, and Clarke and Bellamy assuming joint leadership and showing some mutual respect; The 100 as a show would continue to grow, but by that point it had its hooks in me.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Shieldhill posted:

I just started re-watching from the beginning, finished the fourth episode recently, and I'd say by the third the show had already gotten good. There's cringeworthy stuff in the first two, but when Clarke mercy kills a guy when the tough-talking Bellamy couldn't, learns her mom was responsible for her dad's death, and a little girl stabs one-third of the love triangle in the throat, that's some good TV. The fallout in episode four had Murphy's lynching, Charlotte's suicide, and Clarke and Bellamy assuming joint leadership and showing some mutual respect; The 100 as a show would continue to grow, but by that point it had its hooks in me.

I agree with this. I remember my eyes rolling so hard in the first two episodes, but I needed something to binge and it was fine. By the third, I realized I could no longer play this while doing work because it really captured my attention.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The first 2 episodes kinda have to be what they are to avoid the descent into madness feeling forced.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Octavia's "we're back bitches" set to Radioactive is probably what gets most people to drop the show after the pilot - but it's also probably what sold CW executives to pick up the show, as it was developed at a time when teen girls was still their biggest audience.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Monicro posted:

I still don't really buy his change of heart between seasons 1 and 2 but yeah he's pretty much my favorite now too. Octavia, warrior princess comes pretty close though.

Aphrodite posted:

Wow. I looked up the stuff with Steve Talley (Wick) when I saw the posts, and drat.

Just tons of racist, sexist, homophobic etc. tweets. You have to be pretty dumb to put that on Twitter when you're on TV. Or in general, but especially on TV.

Ick. Is he written off for good?

The Iron Rose posted:

Oh gently caress me I just realized Clarke is literally slaying pussy.

Oh my god

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jan 26, 2016

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The official word is that he's a busy guy so they didn't bring him back this season.

A lot of people who work on the show knew about the stuff he posted and some defended him a few times, so even if that's why he was tossed they can't just admit it.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jan 26, 2016

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/ClaryGriffin/status/691091383629824000

EDIT: oh hey, I guess Twitter links embed now, so my description below is completely unnecessary.

Remember how Maya, the sweet sad girl from Mt Weather was listening to her ipod in her Hazmat suit when Clarke snuck up on her with a shard of glass last season? Now remember what Jasper had in his ears during the jeep ride this episode. :smith:

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
Good for the Violent Femmes for still being popular enough for everyone to rock out too 150 plus years in the future.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

sbaldrick posted:

Good for the Violent Femmes for still being popular enough for everyone to rock out too 150 plus years in the future.

If captain kirk is allowed to get down to the beastie boys, I'm all aboard violent femmes being future-cool

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
That's something that irks me about shows and movies about the future. Apparently culture stopped developing the year each particular episode airs.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

That's something that irks me about shows and movies about the future. Apparently culture stopped developing the year each particular episode airs.

I'm ok with it because it is far better than what some (old) sound designer imagines will be cool in the future. It's a cultural shorthand for 'this person is cool and likes cool things, please add this to your suspension of disbelief kthnx'.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
That's because you can't invent music from the future and it be popular.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

TyrantWD posted:

Octavia's "we're back bitches" set to Radioactive is probably what gets most people to drop the show after the pilot - but it's also probably what sold CW executives to pick up the show, as it was developed at a time when teen girls was still their biggest audience.

Gotta introduce the conventions to subvert them. My "wait a sec, is this gonna be an interesting show" moment was when the little girl shanked Jaha Jr., who I assumed would be part of a three season love triangle with him, Finn and Clarke.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

zoux posted:

My "wait a sec, is this gonna be an interesting show" moment was when the little girl shanked Jaha Jr., who I assumed would be part of a three season love triangle with him, Finn and Clarke.

That's what sold me on the show as well. Up to that point the we seemed to be getting a textbook CW show (for the time), then Wells got stabbed and they proceeded to throw the CW textbook off the cliff with Charlotte in the next episode, and I knew I was in for the long haul.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

zoux posted:

Gotta introduce the conventions to subvert them. My "wait a sec, is this gonna be an interesting show" moment was when the little girl shanked Jaha Jr., who I assumed would be part of a three season love triangle with him, Finn and Clarke.

Yeah that's the scene that got me hooked.

Fenrisulfr
Oct 14, 2012
Clarke's utter lack of hesitation to euthanize the guy that got caught in the fog earlier that episode got me thinking that maybe the show wouldn't be terrible, and then the whole Charlotte/Wells thing cemented it.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I remember thinking that was when the show got watchable, but I wasn't hooked until they were really having a real conflict with the grounders, down to prisoner torture and plague wafare. That's when poo poo started to get REALLY morally ambiguous. Charlotte throwing herself off the cliff was an easy out, and the show doesn't really do those any more.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

VagueRant posted:

Charlotte throwing herself off the cliff was an easy out, and the show doesn't really do those any more.

No it wasn't. The easy way out, and the standard CW network thing, would have been that Murphy is convinced to stand down and the girl goes on living. I mean, the entire episode was revolving around what way they would pull out of their rear end in order to save this dumb little girl. Turns out there was no way.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Error 404 posted:

I'm ok with it because it is far better than what some (old) sound designer imagines will be cool in the future. It's a cultural shorthand for 'this person is cool and likes cool things, please add this to your suspension of disbelief kthnx'.

Just make it debated or some elronica style classical music.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

TyrantWD posted:

Yeah, I nearly tuned out after that, and I'm glad I didn't. Such a different show from what it seemed.

Error 404 posted:

I have no problem with it even as what they were actually listening to because it lends to the feeling that culture pretty much froze at the apocalypse.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Astroman posted:

I have no problem with it even as what they were actually listening to because it lends to the feeling that culture pretty much froze at the apocalypse.

Sure. But their apocalypse is still 100+ years in "our" future.
I don't see too many people rocking out to 1916's greatest hits.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Error 404 posted:

Sure. But their apocalypse is still 100+ years in "our" future.
I don't see too many people rocking out to 1916's greatest hits.

yeah it was probably on the ark in a part of a cultural preservation of classical music. Just like how kids today think that Picasso and DaVinci were probably around the same time, Jasper will look at Van Gogh and think it's from the same time as Imagine Dragons.

Snak fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jan 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
But really, it doesn't matter because the alternative would be lovely.

• Locked thread