Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug
I'm only doing one class on campus this semester, and it's coding. Butt peepage levels are critically low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogarts
Mar 1, 2009

Ckwiesr posted:

Day three of into to programming, and the teacher asks us if everyone downloaded calico and Python. This 18 year old kid raises his hand, and said he tried googling it, but was only getting pictures of snakes. I loving wish he was joking, but he wasn't.

He then proceeded to ask his lab partner if he wanted to listen to his video game music on his phone.

Every programming class I've had so far has been a mix of complete idiots and people who argue with the professor about advanced poo poo that we're not even talking about.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

NTT posted:

Yoga is actually pretty hard, and i ripped my pants

It's extremely hard for me, a guy who can't get his legs to spread to a 90° angle and, bending from the waist, can barely reach to mid-shin, and one of whose shoulders has the annoying habit of subluxing.

Wait no, it's easy, because there are so many poses that I can't even attempt that I'm limited to routines and classes "recommended for those with arthritis" and can stand out by literally standing without assistance.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The base education office might have lost my obligation form that was supposed to be turned in 45 days after fall courses started. This better not turn into "lol, pay your tuition out of pocket".

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jan 22, 2016

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Kind of a long shot, but has anybody in the guard/reserve gone through the process to convert REAP to post-9/11 GI bill?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

psydude posted:

Kind of a long shot, but has anybody in the guard/reserve gone through the process to convert REAP to post-9/11 GI bill?

Converting GI bills is really easy. You fill out the form online like a new application, then you check off "I understand that I will forfeit any other benefit if found eligible for the Post 9/11 GI Bill" and then you wait a million years for the paperwork to return. If you qualify, you're converted. If you don't, you get a nastygram with reasons why.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Naramyth posted:

The Brocalypse and Brocalypse 2: B-Roc Harder were the best things to happen to gun sales since dark people.

not gonna be such a smart idea when goddess-empress hilldawg decrees even expressing desire to own a gun be punishable by public castration

its for the children you see

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Saw a ginger ROTC kid with a sheepdog patch on his assault pack w/some other stupid black on white jagged dog insignia. Made me proud to have served!

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

not gonna be such a smart idea when goddess-empress hilldawg decrees even expressing desire to own a gun be punishable by public castration

its for the children you see

im already castrated get on my level

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
lol

quote:

Hello IRR Officer,

I am an Army Reserve Career Counselor with the Army Reserve Careers
Division. Your records show that you are currently in the Individual Ready
Reserve, (IRR) with a Current Organization (CURORG) of Y.
This usually means you are discharged from the IRR. However, this may not
be the case.
If you were discharged from the Regular Army, please check your DD214 to
make sure you do not have any adverse codes (IE misconduct etc.).

The problem may be that you require a current physical.

See block #9 and block #23.
Block #6 may have a date of discharge if you completed your 8 year
obligation.

If you are interested in getting reappointed contact Ms. Harris
HRC IRR/IMA Special Action Section-502-613-6999 and she will walk you
through what you need specifically to get reappointed.
Depending on how long you have been discharged from AD and if you were
scrolled or not for a Reserve appointment prior to REFRAD, this will
determine whether you have to go the full reappointment route (yearly board
in June) or if you can be processed now for reappointment. If you see
aDA-71 about the time of REFRAD, and a Reserve appointment letter in your
IPERMS, this indicates you were scrolled by HRC.
You may request that the HRC IRR Team place you in the IRR, after you have
been approved for reappointment.

""Then, if you are interested, I can place you in an Army Reserve Unit.""

I will be glad to assist you in any way possible to make the transition
easier.
Thank you so much for taking the time to read this email I will look forward
to working with you.

Very Respectfully,

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
SMDFTB,

Best regards.

-- a sof marine

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
Send him back an envelope with flour and baking soda in it and a letter saying:

Bruce Edward "Tylenol PM" Ivins posted:

THIS IS NEXT
TAKE PENACILIN [sic] NOW
DEATH TO AMERICA
DEATH TO ISRAEL
ALLAH IS GREAT

Bet they'd promote you to O-4 for showing initiative.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
P.S. FBI in case the Tylenol PM joke didn't make it through, I'm making funnies.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Is that text generated by a script or something? It sounds like some sort of phishing attempt that only hopes to lure you into the Army's web of bureaucracy and retardation.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I did that thing where I figured out what the lowest grades are needed to graduate with a 3.5+.

I am completely over school right now and there's 7 weeks to go.

I will miss the butts, though.

Ice For My Nuts
May 22, 2012

holocaust bloopers posted:

I did that thing where I figured out what the lowest grades are needed to graduate with a 3.5+.

I am completely over school right now and there's 7 weeks to go.

I will miss the butts, though.

I've been computing burn rates for my grades for about the last year. Seems to make my life easier.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Most of school is figuring out the least amount of effort you need to put into things to get your desired result. Much like life, really, but most kids going into college don't know this yet.

When you get to grad school you will have to have this skill mastered, because trying to do everything is not really possible. Why yes, I would like to take 9 credit hours of classes, each with 2-3 hours of additional work per week in reading, while also being a [Teaching/Graduate/Research] assistant that consumes [5-35] hours of my week. For two years.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
People who say working hard makes you successful are wrong. Working hard just makes you tired. Working smart makes you successful.

Working smart also means making other idiots work hard for you.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Gotta learn how to say no to stuff. Being an office hero by taking on too much poo poo is dumb. All your work will suffer or some will be great and the rest mediocre.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

My observation, having started grad school last Fall, is that 85% of humans don't realize that sitting at a desk, with all required work within arm's reach, and then spending 3 straight hours on facebook and buzzfeed is not actually effective. But if they do that, then complain, their friends will share sympathies and they'll all get a beer together. Then show up late to class the next day with halfassed work done at 6am, bitch about having gotten no sleep, etc. etc.

Basically, professors ought to start actually failing people.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Missed out on applying for an internship with National Geospatial Intelligence Agency, turns out the applications were due in October. Might not have been accepted anyway because my experience with remote sensing was a bit limited at the time. Now trying to find something else preferably with the federal government. I burned through 17 credits last summer and barely worked so that kind of did a number on my savings. If anything else I want to make more than my know-it-all trainee is going to be making at his stupid insurance company internship.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Worst grade I've gotten in school was a C+ for American Sign Language 103. It was a mercy grade. That teacher had every right to fail me, but chose not to. She knew I had to get through her class for degree requirements.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Worst grade I've gotten in school was a C+ for American Sign Language 103. It was a mercy grade. That teacher had every right to fail me, but chose not to. She knew I had to get through her class for degree requirements.

*jerking off motion*

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
"Poor" and "trash" are shockingly similar signs.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

"Poor" and "trash" are shockingly similar signs.

Those loving deafsplainers.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

After working with professors who were on tenure track, I think the first 5-6 years of their professorship in all honesty is just to make as little negative waves as possible. Then, after however many years it takes to get tenure they're burnt out as all hell and could give 2 shits less that Johnny Backwards cap ate his pencil during the test and took a poo poo on his paper to prove some anti-establishment movement, the bowel movement looked like a C so he got a 70% on his multiple choice quiz. Being a professor seems to truly suck in the academia portion if you're teaching anything below junior level classes.

The only people I know that were straight up hard-assess were the graduate assistants that conducted all of our labs. Holy gently caress, there was at least one person in our office crying to one of the 4 GA's because of some ridiculous reason that they didn't turn in their homework or missed a test.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

MurderBot posted:

After working with professors who were on tenure track, I think the first 5-6 years of their professorship in all honesty is just to make as little negative waves as possible. Then, after however many years it takes to get tenure they're burnt out as all hell and could give 2 shits less that Johnny Backwards cap ate his pencil during the test and took a poo poo on his paper to prove some anti-establishment movement, the bowel movement looked like a C so he got a 70% on his multiple choice quiz. Being a professor seems to truly suck in the academia portion if you're teaching anything below junior level classes.

The only people I know that were straight up hard-assess were the graduate assistants that conducted all of our labs. Holy gently caress, there was at least one person in our office crying to one of the 4 GA's because of some ridiculous reason that they didn't turn in their homework or missed a test.

This is incredibly true. My experience with professors has been "Chilled out older person just waiting for death or retirement" but GAs are just there to make sure everyone hates the university experience as much as they did

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
you cant keep getting money from people if you fail them out

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

I looked into doing ASL to fill my language requirement but that septic tank of a school I was going to wouldn't allow it because reasons I no longer give an ounce of thought about.

I'll be going back to school this fall, far, far away from that miserable poo poo cistern of a university.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

I looked into doing ASL to fill my language requirement but that septic tank of a school I was going to wouldn't allow it because reasons I no longer give an ounce of thought about.

I'll be going back to school this fall, far, far away from that miserable poo poo cistern of a university.

I'm in my third year of ASL to fulfill my colorado state language requirement. All in all it's alot easier than french or spanish. Decided to go for it when I hear the Coaches here like to funnel athletes that need language credits into it.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
ASL is cool because it's only 50% of a language. Written component is English.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Reminder: There are people who consider cochlear implants to be genocide.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Casimir Radon posted:

Reminder: There are people who consider cochlear implants to be genocide.

The same people who intentionally breed with other deafs to produce more deafs.

Look you stupid bastards you are not some enlightened master race of deaf people you're models that came off the factory floor with defects. Get the implant or hop in the oven with the rest of the invalids.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

The same people who intentionally breed with other deafs to produce more deafs.

Look you stupid bastards you are not some enlightened master race of deaf people you're models that came off the factory floor with defects. Get the implant or hop in the oven with the rest of the invalids.
Skip to 1:44
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFM2xZ7dytk

The Sheriff Jake
May 8, 2006
Getting my GI Bill to pay for hydroponic agriculture classes to help me grow heady nugz is why I served.

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug
Update:

Calico-Python kid won't stop talking about anime during lab. Having said that, he's definitely got some rain man poo poo going on with moments of pure brilliance.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH posted:

I started my first Cisco Networking Academy class today.

Gonna try my hand at this IT poo poo I guess.

:smithcloud:

Yo, Shim, what are you taking with Cisco Netacad? I've done a bunch of poo poo on there at college. Sometimes it's a bit dry and there tends to be a lot of product placement but I guess it's to be expected considering their goal is to train you with their products so you can write their certifications and pimp their poo poo to your bosses etc.

Also soldering is seriously something that needs to be taught more. Super handy skill in IT, definitely worth learning.

MurderBot posted:

Oh man, profs with tenure. A couple semesters ago I had one who was really chill and we became buddies. We chat about technology and yoga butts and poo poo, it's great. Last semester (and now this semester) I had a guy who falls squarely in the "don't give a poo poo because I can't be fired lol" category, and he doesn't even try to hide it at all.

Dude fell asleep while invigilating another prof's final. The next day he was supposed to do the same for a different prof and didn't even come in. Didn't call in sick, didn't book time off, just decided not to show up to work that day. Pretty much every afternoon session last semester he was at least ten minutes late for.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

So if half+7 isn't a whole year, can you round down? This is important.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Jarmak posted:

Dude you can do whatever you want with a consenting legal adult, your country owes you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug

Jarmak posted:

Yeah man, hit slit never quit.

• Locked thread