Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax
Harry Potter was a fun kids series of books and the movies were entertaining. Who wouldn't want to have magical powers? That would be great!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

learnincurve posted:

Because muggle technology won't work around magic, they addressed this in the Goblet of Fire. (Reeta Skeeter bugging story line)
Look at all these people missing out on Steven Fry's audio book narration.

That makes some sense I guess.

Though now I'm sad that we didn't get an entire battalion of solemn British soldiers fixing bayonets rather than let a bunch of high schoolers and their teachers fend for themselves.

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

inokichi posted:

Rowling is now revising the characters in a way that has no bearing on the plot I.e. Hermione was black
She didn't do that. It was a casting decision made by somebody else, for a stage play.

inokichi posted:

Plus all that Robert Galbraith pseudonym poo poo
Completely normal in that industry.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

skander posted:

She didn't do that. It was a casting decision made by somebody else, for a stage play.

Completely normal in that industry.

You DON'T GET IT. Hermione NEEDS TO BE WHITE. How am I supposed to explain a negress to my children?

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

inokichi posted:

Yeah but I read how j.k. Rowling is now revising the characters in a way that has no bearing on the plot I.e. Hermione was black

Yeah I'm afraid the books contradict that. You see, hermione knows how to read

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

ashgromnies posted:

How am I supposed to explain a negress to my children?
Tell them it's because she's a charming negress.

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMjrXRgu8IU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

learnincurve posted:

Because muggle technology won't work around magic, they addressed this in the Goblet of Fire. (Reeta Skeeter bugging story line)
Look at all these people missing out on Steven Fry's audio book narration.

Electronics don't work properly around areas of high magic concentration, but gunpowder works just fine. Light 'em up!

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
They picked the black lady because she was the most talented person to audition for the role, not because of her race. Are you saying that jobs shouldn't go to the most skilled person available? I guess you don't really believe in meritocracy :smug:

Anyway there are only two really good reasons to read Harry Potter:

1) You read at or below a 5th-grade level and need to practice before you can move on to more complex literature
2) You are a lonely, unhappy child who needs the escapism

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Nanomashoes posted:

Yes, Terry Pratchett, or something good

Actually Terry Pratchett is good. Sorry you are incapable of joy.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

I was the target demographic for Harry Potter and I thought it was gay. Also stupid.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Applewhite posted:

Actually Terry Pratchett is good. Sorry you are incapable of joy.

trap sprung

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

The #1 running theme of discussion on SA has always been that popular nerd things are actually bad

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

loquacius posted:

The #1 running theme of discussion on SA has always been that popular nerd things are actually bad

Generally I agree with your sentiment but in this specific case Harry Potter is actually bad.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Nanomashoes posted:

trap sprung

Your dad is a trap.

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010

Nanomashoes posted:

trap sprung

I you died instead of sir terry nobody would have noticed. I would have been no big loss for humanity

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

I would read Harry Potter when my parents would fight, it was a decent distraction.
Outside of that, the majority of what I enjoyed about the series was speculating about what will happen next. Also, the fanart was my introduction into my budding sexuality.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
your post gave alan rickman cancer, rear end in a top hat

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

TEAYCHES posted:

Generally I agree with your sentiment but in this specific case Harry Potter is actually bad.

I meant more in the case of Terry Pratchett here, I haven't actually read any of his books tho

Harry Potter was very well written and plotted, even if the WW2 allegory got a little heavy-handed at times and the worldbuilding was kind of shallow and inconsistent. Rowling is a very good young-adult author because she describes abstract emotions particularly well. Things being silly and whimsical for their own sake kind of wears on an adult reader, but it works in the context of a children's book and most of it is confined to the first few books (which are definitely kids' books as opposed to the later ones which are YA fiction).

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Decebal posted:

I you died instead of sir terry nobody would have noticed. I would have been no big loss for humanity

He's entertaining but not a good author, hope this helps.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

op killed rickman

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf
So now that Alan Rickman is dead, is Jeremy Irons gonna avenge him by fighting cancer?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Nanomashoes posted:

He's entertaining but not a good author, hope this helps.

As opposed to all those good authors who aren't entertaining at all.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Gaunab posted:

Op killed Alan Rickman

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Video is blocked. :(

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:
has anyone taken care of the op yet? where are we on that mob justice thing?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

loquacius posted:

I meant more in the case of Terry Pratchett here, I haven't actually read any of his books tho

Harry Potter was very well written and plotted, even if the WW2 allegory got a little heavy-handed at times and the worldbuilding was kind of shallow and inconsistent. Rowling is a very good young-adult author because she describes abstract emotions particularly well. Things being silly and whimsical for their own sake kind of wears on an adult reader, but it works in the context of a children's book and most of it is confined to the first few books (which are definitely kids' books as opposed to the later ones which are YA fiction).

harry potter is actually an allegory for the early church. the muggles are gentiles

Kitsunegari
Aug 5, 2013
JK Rowling is very active on Twitter

also I didn't know any kids with friends who liked Terry Pratchett

e: what I mean by this is if you liked Terry Pratchett you were likely a friendless child

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

A misanthrope posted:

has anyone taken care of the op yet? where are we on that mob justice thing?

Unironically support the OP getting probated because it would be hilarious and cool to see "Your bad post killed Alan Rickman, user was probated for 6 hours" on his rap sheet.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Applewhite posted:

Unironically support the OP getting probated because it would be hilarious and cool to see "Your bad post killed Alan Rickman, user was probated for 6 hours" on his rap sheet.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Applewhite posted:

As opposed to all those good authors who aren't entertaining at all.

Yes.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

like?

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Video is blocked. :(

http://videosift.com/comedy/video/Stewart-Lee-on-Harry-Potter

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Tolkien comes to mind :v:

or, like, Tolstoy or some poo poo

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

Ferdinand Celine or Robert Musil

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

TEAYCHES posted:

I was the target demographic for Harry Potter and I thought it was gay. Also stupid.

you're gay

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

loquacius posted:

Tolkien comes to mind :v:

or, like, Tolstoy or some poo poo

Tolkien is entertaining imo.

I'll accept that Tolstoy is "great" because everyone says he is, but his books are a chore to read so I haven't experienced his greatness first hand. Wanna fill me in on what makes him so great?

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
SNAPE KILLS DUMBLEDORE

CANCER KILLS SNAPE

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Applewhite posted:

I'll accept that Tolstoy is "great" because everyone says he is, but his books are a chore to read so I haven't experienced his greatness first hand. Wanna fill me in on what makes him so great?

tolkien is godawful i would rather read harry potter any day over LOTR

the hobbit is a good book but LOTR is awful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Applewhite posted:

Beats the hell out of me, but War And Peace is one of those books that everyone just kind of accepts as being great without bothering to read it

What was the quote? "A classic is a book that everyone wants to have read and nobody wants to read."

e: it was Twain

Mark Twain posted:

I don't believe any of you have ever read PARADISE LOST, and you don't want to. That's something that you just want to take on trust. It's a classic, just as Professor Winchester says, and it meets his definition of a classic -- something that everybody wants to have read and nobody wants to read.

• Locked thread