Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

Applewhite posted:

Unironically support the OP getting probated because it would be hilarious and cool to see "Your bad post killed Alan Rickman, user was probated for 6 hours" on his rap sheet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
LOTR has points where it just goes on for like 75 pages into ridiculous detail about some bullshit battle no one gives any fucks about. get to the loving point.

too much description, not enough exposition.

it's the precursor to other, way-too-long fantasy novels like wheel of time and song of ice and fire. just miserable.

if you prefer LOTR to harry potter: what the gently caress is wrong with you?

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Same op, born in 1988 and grew up right when it was popular and all of my friends were freaking out about it.

I gave it an honest chance and attempted to read the first book twice, but I'm just not not a fan of JK Rowling's writing. It felt like she really wanted to write like Roald Dahl but was failing

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Beef Turret posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhetorical_modes

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010

Nanomashoes posted:

He's entertaining but not a good author, hope this helps.

You're entitled to your opinion for sure and maybe you're even right. All I was saying was that he was a more important human than you or me. Like he had a positive impact on the world.

We're the redshirts of the human species

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Haha, I started reading them when I was 14, it only made sense to continue.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

loquacius posted:

Beats the hell out of me, but War And Peace is one of those books that everyone just kind of accepts as being great without bothering to read it

What was the quote? "A classic is a book that everyone wants to have read and nobody wants to read."

e: it was Twain

War and Peace actually isn't that bad if you're able to keep track of all of the people with similar names. It's a little slow going at first, but once you're into it I found it genuinely more enjoyable than some other classics. It's a weird thing to say but I think it works better as vacation reading than anything else- it was serialized fiction and consequently absolutely can be read for pleasure, but it's dense enough that it works best in a circumstance where you can consume it in large chunks rather than trying to take it in little bits over time and losing track of details.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Hot Take based entirely on that post and a quick scan of Wikipedia: War And Peace is 19th-century Game Of Thrones

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

I don't like having my hand held by the author especially when it's about boys walking around killing orcs

czarmonger
Aug 16, 2008

ask me about my brothel
Clearly you have a boner for wizards. It is a hate boner but that doesn't mean you don't care.

Why do you care OP???

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Oh right, another for the list of good authors that are not entertaining: James Joyce

He fills his poo poo chock-full of competently-done narrative devices and enough subtle symbolism to give an English teacher wet dreams, which makes him, technically speaking, a good author

but seriously try reading that poo poo

just try it

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I'm gonna propose something radical here and say that "good" authors that everyone hates to read are, in fact, not so good.

I'm sure I could find some schizophrenic person's 10,000 page manifesto that is chockablock full of subtle symbolism and cutting social commentary, but it would still be awful.

I propose "readability" be among the criterion by which "great" authors are judged.

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010
We used to have a book recommendation thread in GBS. That was cool.

Anyone know any quality, researched historical fiction ? Mika Waltari is pretty good, but I read everything

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Applewhite posted:

I'm gonna propose something radical here and say that "good" authors that everyone hates to read are, in fact, not so good.

I'm sure I could find some schizophrenic person's 10,000 page manifesto that is chockablock full of subtle symbolism and cutting social commentary, but it would still be awful.

I propose "readability" be among the criterion by which "great" authors are judged.

Honestly I have no problem with this because I loving hate James Joyce

Decebal posted:

We used to have a book recommendation thread in GBS. That was cool.

Anyone know any quality, researched historical fiction ? Mika Waltari is pretty good, but I read everything

I enjoyed Gentlemen of the Road by Michael Chabon, but it was just a Book of the Month in TBB and they largely had bad things to say about it, and also I read and enjoyed the Baroque Cycle by Neal Stephenson so I might not be the most trustworthy source on this

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

im gonna get rid of the western literary canon and replace it with space tits & space rear end

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010
Bernard Cornwell's Saxon Chronicles are really good too !

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Nanomashoes posted:

im gonna get rid of the western literary canon and replace it with space tits & space rear end

The gem faces symbolize how women are forced to commoditize their beauty the way we commoditize jewelry.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Applewhite posted:

The gem faces symbolize how women are forced to commoditize their beauty the way we commoditize jewelry.

But the dudes have gems too

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Nanomashoes posted:

Wah wah wah what about the menz :qq: Try to stay on topic please :rolleyes:

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Nanomashoes posted:

Interesting observation. Why do you think that is?

I'm definitely looking forward to having you in Contemporary Applewhite Studies this spring semester.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Applewhite posted:

Interesting observation. Why do you think that is?

I'm definitely looking forward to having you in Contemporary Applewhite Studies this spring semester.

is there a dress code?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

loquacius posted:

Wah wah wah what about the menz :qq: Try to stay on topic please :rolleyes:

So you think perhaps the author included the gem faces on male characters as a meta-commentary on gender politics of the time? A sort of "red herring" to draw out discussion and reveal how we immediately turn all discussions about the struggles of women into a footnote to the struggles of men?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Mange Mite posted:

is there a dress code?

Push up bras for women, codpieces for men

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Applewhite posted:

So you think perhaps the author included the gem faces on male characters as a meta-commentary on gender politics of the time? A sort of "red herring" to draw out discussion and reveal how we immediately turn all discussions about the struggles of women into a footnote to the struggles of men?

The intentions of the author are immaterial, what matters is what's supported by the text itself

Do I have to give you a crash course on Death Of The Author? :toughguy:

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

loquacius posted:

The intentions of the author are immaterial, what matters is what's supported by the text itself

Do I have to give you a crash course on Death Of The Author? :toughguy:

Nyaahahaha *tugs collar*

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL
same, im glad im no milennial.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
meltdown much, OP?

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I only read to the point where hermoine said the "n" word :sigh:

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

LGD posted:

War and Peace actually isn't that bad if you're able to keep track of all of the people with similar names.

I find this to be the case with many of Tolstoy's works. S
Still not exactly thousand and one nights, though

E:

Shallow and pedantic.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i tried to read a james joyce book once. when i started looking up words i didnt know i found out that he would just loving make up words sometimes without explaining what they meant. so, mixed in with all this archaic irish slang i obviously wasnt familiar with was the occasional fake word. that was such incredible bullshit that it still kind of irritates me decades later.

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010

Serious Frolicking posted:

i tried to read a james joyce book once. when i started looking up words i didnt know i found out that he would just loving make up words sometimes without explaining what they meant. so, mixed in with all this archaic irish slang i obviously wasnt familiar with was the occasional fake word. that was such incredible bullshit that it still kind of irritates me decades later.

No way, come on. No editor would let that pass

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Decebal posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finnegans_Wake
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idioglossia

i am not actually making that poo poo up

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

read cormac mcarthy because like gbs goons he also does not believe in punctuation

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Nooner posted:

I only read to the point where hermoine said the "n" word :sigh:

she can say it she's black

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010

A misanthrope posted:

read cormac mcarthy because like gbs goons he also does not believe in punctuation

That guy is a bit overhyped in my opinion.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Serious Frolicking posted:

It's really musical and fun to read out loud.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Decebal posted:

Shakespeare made up hundreds of words while writing, many of which we still use today. Lewis Carrol made up like 5.

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010

Nanomashoes posted:

Shakespeare made up hundreds of words while writing, many of which we still use today. Lewis Carrol made up like 5.

Isn't english supposed to be one of the richest languages with a lot of words. What kind of hipster idiot needs even more "unique" words ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

Nanomashoes posted:

Also tons of dick and fart jokes :v:

• Locked thread