Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Are you happy now OP :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Ban OP before they kill again

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Y'know what always comes off as super cool and not insincere at all?

When someone makes a thread specifically to have a conversation about how they don't care about a thing

see, most of the time when people don't care about something they don't go out of their way to talk about it

when this rule is broken Alan Rickman dies

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Blazing Ownager posted:

Okay someone who actually read the books and will dare admit it answer me one question: If all those wizard people had ties to the British government, why didn't they just ask the Prime Minister to send a couple strike bombers and naval cruisers and tactically nuke the evil wizard and his whole army from dozens of miles away? Or provide SAS strike teams to back them up?

They didn't :confused:

They had their own special shadow government specifically for Wizard poo poo, I don't think they interacted with the actual British government at all

Plus most of the rules of their society revolved around making sure non-magic people didn't know about their existence, which means they had to deal with their own poo poo themselves

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

The #1 running theme of discussion on SA has always been that popular nerd things are actually bad

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

TEAYCHES posted:

Generally I agree with your sentiment but in this specific case Harry Potter is actually bad.

I meant more in the case of Terry Pratchett here, I haven't actually read any of his books tho

Harry Potter was very well written and plotted, even if the WW2 allegory got a little heavy-handed at times and the worldbuilding was kind of shallow and inconsistent. Rowling is a very good young-adult author because she describes abstract emotions particularly well. Things being silly and whimsical for their own sake kind of wears on an adult reader, but it works in the context of a children's book and most of it is confined to the first few books (which are definitely kids' books as opposed to the later ones which are YA fiction).

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Tolkien comes to mind :v:

or, like, Tolstoy or some poo poo

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Applewhite posted:

Tolkien is entertaining imo.

I'll accept that Tolstoy is "great" because everyone says he is, but his books are a chore to read so I haven't experienced his greatness first hand. Wanna fill me in on what makes him so great?

Beats the hell out of me, but War And Peace is one of those books that everyone just kind of accepts as being great without bothering to read it

What was the quote? "A classic is a book that everyone wants to have read and nobody wants to read."

e: it was Twain

Mark Twain posted:

I don't believe any of you have ever read PARADISE LOST, and you don't want to. That's something that you just want to take on trust. It's a classic, just as Professor Winchester says, and it meets his definition of a classic -- something that everybody wants to have read and nobody wants to read.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Hot Take based entirely on that post and a quick scan of Wikipedia: War And Peace is 19th-century Game Of Thrones

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Oh right, another for the list of good authors that are not entertaining: James Joyce

He fills his poo poo chock-full of competently-done narrative devices and enough subtle symbolism to give an English teacher wet dreams, which makes him, technically speaking, a good author

but seriously try reading that poo poo

just try it

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Applewhite posted:

I'm gonna propose something radical here and say that "good" authors that everyone hates to read are, in fact, not so good.

I'm sure I could find some schizophrenic person's 10,000 page manifesto that is chockablock full of subtle symbolism and cutting social commentary, but it would still be awful.

I propose "readability" be among the criterion by which "great" authors are judged.

Honestly I have no problem with this because I loving hate James Joyce

Decebal posted:

We used to have a book recommendation thread in GBS. That was cool.

Anyone know any quality, researched historical fiction ? Mika Waltari is pretty good, but I read everything

I enjoyed Gentlemen of the Road by Michael Chabon, but it was just a Book of the Month in TBB and they largely had bad things to say about it, and also I read and enjoyed the Baroque Cycle by Neal Stephenson so I might not be the most trustworthy source on this

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Nanomashoes posted:

But the dudes have gems too

Wah wah wah what about the menz :qq: Try to stay on topic please :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Applewhite posted:

So you think perhaps the author included the gem faces on male characters as a meta-commentary on gender politics of the time? A sort of "red herring" to draw out discussion and reveal how we immediately turn all discussions about the struggles of women into a footnote to the struggles of men?

The intentions of the author are immaterial, what matters is what's supported by the text itself

Do I have to give you a crash course on Death Of The Author? :toughguy:

• Locked thread