Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is time Metric or Imperial?
Yes op :thumbsup:
No op :mad:
Maybe op :confused:
Goku op :goku:
View Results

• Locked thread
OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Germstore posted:

In liquor stores it's all metric. 750ml and 1.75L.

You mean a fifth and a handle?

Nobody says "give me 750 ml of scotch"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
or a two-six/mickey/forty/sixty-pounder?

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Mange Mite posted:

You mean a fifth and a handle?

Nobody says "give me 750 ml of scotch"

I just say 'seven fifty,' but I may just be a square. Either way, still metric.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Anyone else ever see meth sold in grains rather than fractions of grams, or was that just a thing here? I knew a guy who sold quarters weighed at .20 grams based on this weird tradition, and was mostly using it as an excuse to short his customers.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Lunar time is imperial, solar time is metric.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Time is both metric and imperial. It's imperial for measures of seconds/minutes/hours+ but sub-second measurements are metric.

SHISHKABOB posted:

The SI second is defined this way, but the second on a clock is defined by dividing the day into 24 hours. In order to correct this discrepancy, since a rotation of the earth is not precisely 24 hours, we have leap years. And I think like every hundred or so years we have two leap days. And you'd have even more additional leap days at increasingly longer intervals because of the not-niceness of the value of the period of earths rotation. And then you'd have to account for the slowing of earths rotation over the course of tens of thousands and millions of years.

These days we use the Gregorian calendar (with occasional leap seconds) where a year is 365.2425 days and was introduced in 1582, which is a refinement of the Julian calendar (which was commissioned by Julius Caesar) which set a year as 365.25 days and was introduced in 46 BC.

Before that point an annual calendar didn't match the number of days in a year which would have led to crazy poo poo like the big important Roman agricultural festivals falling in the wrong season so the Romans occasionally split February in half and added a leap month of varying lengths so that the civil year would match the solar year.
The length of the leap month was determined by an elected official called the Pontifex Maximus but they occasionally made the decision based on political reasoning rather than mathematical/astronomical calculations.

Calendars were fuckin' weird back in the day.

Woden
May 6, 2006

Germstore posted:

Pretty weird how Beer is sold in Imperial, but liquor and wine is sold in metric. Is time more like beer or liquor? I'm gonna go with beer. Time is like beer, and therefore Imperial.

Been buying beer in 10 packs of 330ml for a while now so it's changing.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Time is both metric and imperial. It's imperial for measures of seconds/minutes/hours+ but sub-second measurements are metric.

These days we use the Gregorian calendar (with occasional leap seconds) where a year is 365.2425 days and was introduced in 1582, which is a refinement of the Julian calendar (which was commissioned by Julius Caesar) which set a year as 365.25 days and was introduced in 46 BC.

Before that point an annual calendar didn't match the number of days in a year which would have led to crazy poo poo like the big important Roman agricultural festivals falling in the wrong season so the Romans occasionally split February in half and added a leap month of varying lengths so that the civil year would match the solar year.
The length of the leap month was determined by an elected official called the Pontifex Maximus but they occasionally made the decision based on political reasoning rather than mathematical/astronomical calculations.

Calendars were fuckin' weird back in the day.

I confused the hell out of myself writing that post because I was thinking for some reason that it was the difference in length between sidereal and calendar days that caused the need for leap years. I kept doing the math and it never worked out.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

Mange Mite posted:

the original design for farenheit had 0 as freezing and 100 as body temperature. they just hosed up the measurements

I remember reading somewhere that Fahrenheit based his scale on the coldest and hottest days he experienced in his town in the year he developed the scale. Probably apocryphal.

Microwaves Mom posted:

Someone show me a metric clock.

When I was in middle school, my science teacher made us develop a new measuring system. Most kids developed a system for measuring length, usually based on shoes, pencils, etc. A few developed systems for measuring mass. I developed a time unit. It was called the STU (Standard Time Unit) each of which was a bit less than 15 minutes. There were 100 in a day, and I used the standard metric prefixes for larger and smaller bits of time. I even created conversations about how people would use the lingo, like "I'll be there in in a mili" and "Hey, wait a cent!"

It was lame, but I got an A.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvO1BS-780g

lousy smarch weather

gary oldmans diary fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jan 15, 2016

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Time being either 12h/24h is pretty similar to metric/imperial. Only NA and a few other places use 12h time, the rest of the world gets to celebrate thirteen o'clock.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Time is an arrow, Op.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Angela Christine posted:

Time is an arrow, Op.

I believe you will find it is actually a flat circle

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy

Mange Mite posted:

the original design for farenheit had 0 as freezing and 100 as body temperature. they just hosed up the measurements

Um excuse me that is not correct, body temperature in Fahrenheit was 96°
:goonsay:

Ivor Biggun fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jan 15, 2016

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

p sure OP fell wanking to the floor when he made this thread

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

My chair caught me

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Woden posted:

Been buying beer in 10 packs of 330ml for a while now so it's changing.

It's just an excuse to stiff you on an ounce of beer. Search your heart; you know it to be true.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

genesplicer posted:

I remember reading somewhere that Fahrenheit based his scale on the coldest and hottest days he experienced in his town in the year he developed the scale. Probably apocryphal.

When I was in middle school, my science teacher made us develop a new measuring system. Most kids developed a system for measuring length, usually based on shoes, pencils, etc. A few developed systems for measuring mass. I developed a time unit. It was called the STU (Standard Time Unit) each of which was a bit less than 15 minutes. There were 100 in a day, and I used the standard metric prefixes for larger and smaller bits of time. I even created conversations about how people would use the lingo, like "I'll be there in in a mili" and "Hey, wait a cent!"

It was lame, but I got an A.

Swatch did this with the beat. Also the French

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Jan 15, 2016

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Because metric time uses completely different time intervals, each of them has an invented name which can cause some confusion at first, but once you get used to it metric time is a very logical system and has many advantages over standard time.

The most common of these units you will probably come across is the diddy, also known as the metric hour. A diddy lasts for 1/10th of a day.

As you can see, op, there are ten diddies in a day, as they say

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

you couldn't get white onions, on account of the war-

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
time does not belong to any system of measurement

time is properly ordinal, proceeding from first to second to third or vice versa; transformable but unimpeachable, intensive differences exist between each ordinal value

time is only metrized when it extrudes space as its extensional aspect and then portrays itself as a dimension of space

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

genesplicer posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fahrenheit#History

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
It was called "Indigo Prophecy" when they converted it to US units.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Germstore posted:

The freezing point of saturated salt water and pure water are equally arbitrary.

yeah but isn't it something like 1 calorie of energy is enough to raise 1 cubic ml of pure water by 1 degree celsius? and 1 cubic ml of pure water is 1 cubic mm and weighs 1mg
i thought everything in metric is kinda linked to it made sense to use celsius

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Fahrenheit is based on sloppy science, but it maps pretty well to, "on a scale from 0 to 100 how hot are you?" People sperging about how it has a different 0 point than C are dummies because the only zero point that isn't arbitrary is 0K.

Quote-Unquote posted:

yeah but isn't it something like 1 calorie of energy is enough to raise 1 cubic ml of pure water by 1 degree celsius? and 1 cubic ml of pure water is 1 cubic mm and weighs 1mg
i thought everything in metric is kinda linked to it made sense to use celsius

The magnitude of a C is linked to other metric units, but the zero point isn't, and that's what the dude complaining about 0F being below freezing was sperging about.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

in that respect 0k is still arbitrary bc the universal null energy point is arbitrary from a transuniversal pov

unless "relation to triple point of VSMOW" is ok to move forward

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Germstore posted:

The magnitude of a C is linked to other metric units, but the zero point isn't, and that's what the dude complaining about 0F being below freezing was sperging about.

yeah but if you've decided to use water as the basis for all your other measurements in the metric system, it kinda makes sense to use transition points between the states of ice/water/vapour as the low/high end of your scale (yes i know these aren't necessarily 0 and 100 depending on pressure etc but it's a reasonable enough approximation for most situations). what else would you use?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Let me just say, as somebody who uses fluid dynamics in his job ever day, the SI is extremely useful and good and imperial units are not.

chickie nugs for brekkie
May 17, 2010
It's seventeen hundred somewhere

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Germstore posted:

It's just an excuse to stiff you on an ounce of beer. Search your heart; you know it to be true.

civilized countries sell beer by the half-liter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

The_Franz posted:

civilized countries sell beer by the half-liter

That's a popular size in the US as well, but not as popular as a 12 oz. And if it's from a tap you're either getting 12 ounces or a pint.

• Locked thread