Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
First bid on the prize: $1200
Next bid: $1199

Why are females so stupid -_-

Drew said he's gonna have to have a talk with that girl during the commercial break.

If I were going on a game show, I would at least take a few minutes to familiarize myself with basic rules and strategy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Ein cooler Typ posted:

First bid on the prize: $1200
Next bid: $1199

Why are females so stupid -_-

Drew said he's gonna have to have a talk with that girl during the commercial break.

If I were going on a game show, I would at least take a few minutes to familiarize myself with basic rules and strategy.

Don't they not know they are going to be on until the guy from N'Sync says COME ON DOWN!

Also would have been great if the actual price was $1199 and she won

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
The price is wrong...bitch! - RIP Adam Sandler :(

PureEvil6_13
Jun 1, 2004

I LIKE PETA AND THINK THAT SCIENCE IS EVIL
If you are female on that show you need to only be up to 2 out of these three things:

Tight shirt, big jibblies.
Old with dementia
Fat wearing pantsuit

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
ur mom says im closest without going over

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
They know in advance who's gonna get on

The "come on down" thing is staged for television

Irregardless, if you're gonna be in the audience and you knew you might have a chance to be on the show, you should know how to play

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
It's a pretty advanced strat op, not surprised you don't get it

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
I bid 1£

PureEvil6_13
Jun 1, 2004

Irregardlessably, I

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Irregardless, if you're gonna be in the audience and you knew you might have a chance to be on the show, you should know how to play

you can rig the system http://deadspin.com/5972765/how-my-foolproof-scientific-system-got-us-onto-the-price-is-right

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

they intentionally pick people who get overly excited and are likely to make rash decisions

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Michael Larson (rip) is the king of doing your homework and studying for a game show appearance

We could all learn from his diligence

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

$1198, Drew

PureEvil6_13
Jun 1, 2004

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Michael Larson (rip) is the king of doing your homework and studying for a game show appearance

We could all learn from his diligence

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Have they made it illegal to guess $1 more than someone else yet because I always thought that was a huge douchebag move

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I'm the guy that bids $2 after the guy next to me bid $1

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post

Ein cooler Typ posted:

This is not factual. My barber was on the price is right and actually won some stuff. But he had no idea he was actually selected to participate. They have an interview process for each audience member and you get told it's a possibility you may get called up. If I recall he won a couch. He keeps his little name tag on the wall in the shop and will tell you about being on the show constantly.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

loquacius posted:

Have they made it illegal to guess $1 more than someone else yet because I always thought that was a huge douchebag move

It's good strategy

It's a competitive game you're not trying to let other people win

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

It's a competitive game and that is an anti-competitive move :colbert:

You're basically stealing their guess and saying "this is my guess now" and they don't get to play

PureEvil6_13
Jun 1, 2004

loquacius posted:

You're basically stealing their guess and saying "this is my guess now" and they don't get to play

In fairness, it's usually the last person that bids $1, so everyone gets their guess. If someone bids a dollar and they aren't the last bid, then it's not because they're a douchebag, it's because they are retarded.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

PureEvil6_13 posted:

In fairness, it's usually the last person that bids $1, so everyone gets their guess. If someone bids a dollar and they aren't the last bid, then it's not because they're a douchebag, it's because they are retarded.

No, not bidding $1 period, bidding $1 more than someone else

Like if someone bids $1200 and the next person bids $1201 with a giant :smug:face

Onkel Hedwig
Jun 27, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QZpnBKZHVo

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

loquacius posted:

Then they should have made a better guess. If their bid+1 isn't any more risky, then they should have bid that instead of leaving it open to the next guy.

Also, lol when the first guy bids 1 dollar.

e:also if you're the last person and don't bid 1 or 1 over someone else, you're really bad at the game.

Dr. Stab fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jan 14, 2016

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
lol if you're not so obsessed with consuming that you can't recall the price of any given good to the closest dollar.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Dr. Stab posted:

Then they should have made a better guess. If their bid+1 isn't any more risky, then they should have bid that instead of leaving it open to the next guy.

Also, lol when the first guy bids 1 dollar.

I think one of us doesn't get how this works

say person #1 bids $1500, they win if the thing costs $1500 or more
person #2 bids $1200, they win if the thing costs between $1200 and $1499
then person #3 bids $1201, they win if the thing costs between $1201 and $1499 and person #2 wins if and only if it costs exactly $1200

$1200 isn't a lovely guess but now they have no chance to win and basically don't get to play. Dick move. :colbert:

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

I'm the guy that bids $2 after the guy next to me bid $1

I'm the guy who goes first and says $1. Then loses and reflects fondly on my five minutes of fame (moment was literally the high point of my life).

PureEvil6_13
Jun 1, 2004

loquacius posted:

No, not bidding $1 period, bidding $1 more than someone else

Like if someone bids $1200 and the next person bids $1201 with a giant :smug:face

Oh ok yeah, yeah that is a Dickmove®

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

loquacius posted:

then person #3 bids $1201, they win if the thing costs between $1201 and $1499 and person #2 wins if and only if it costs exactly $1200

$1200 isn't a lovely guess but now they have no chance to win and basically don't get to play. Dick move. :colbert:

that's why #2 bids $1, forcing #3 to make an honest bid and get cockblocked by #4

haven't you seen the show

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

loquacius posted:

If they didn't think it was exactly 1200, they should have bid higher. Also, in this situation, the last guy bids 1202.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
The six contestants picked in the first half of the show are guaranteed an opportunity to be the last bidder; if they don't get on stage it's their own drat fault. The three contestants picked in the second half need to be hungry like wolf.

PureEvil6_13
Jun 1, 2004

It really is best to get your loving consumerism poo poo together if you plan to spin the wheel bitch.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I'll take "gas this stupid thread" for $500, Alex.

google THIS
Oct 17, 2005

it does seem like there ought to be a minimum difference between bids but that would require the contestants to do math

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008
Tell me more about being unemployed, OP

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Hi I'm from the Navy here's my uniform

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
my dog loving hates bob barker

Rap Music and Dope
Dec 25, 2010
For some reason Euros really suck to

Ein cooler Typ posted:

this isnt fuckin true retard

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Luvcow posted:

my dog loving hates bob barker

tell us more about your dog loving

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
yeah guess I was wrong about the "come on down" thing. thanks for the new information

it doesn't matter though

nothing wrong with doing dick moves to win a game. is it also a dick move to wager in final jeopardy so you win by $1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
the only correct bids are:

one dollar above someone else

• Locked thread