Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
smokyprogg
Apr 9, 2008

BROKEN DOWN!
MISSION FAILED

Hello, the Let's Play forum at the Something is Awful forums. I am Rob, or smokyprogg. I "recently" did a pretty good LP of a 3 day run of Majora's Mask with my friend George. It's pretty good.

In the days leading up to the release of Dark Souls III, I will finally get around to playing Dark Souls II for the first time. In fact, as of the posting of this very thread, there are 89 days left until the release of Dark Souls III, the greatest game of my lifetime, certainly.

The goal here is to complete a blind playthrough of Dark Souls II before the release of the Game of the Year of All Time, Dark Souls III. I will only be allowing myself to die once a day in Dark Souls II in the meantime. And recording it. And uploading for the "pleasure" of the internet. Why 90 days? Because I wanted to do 100 and the internet at my place got upgraded to 2010 quality somewhere around 96 days out. 90 is a more round number than 95. Living in the middle of the woods is a bitch.

I'll be providing two videos for any day over 10 minutes: one uncut, and one that I will try to get under 10 minutes. I don't want to edit boss fights if I can avoid it, so bosses may lead to some longer abridged videos. Oh well

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I dunno man. You have options, certainly. This is going to be pretty rambley and disjointed in all likelihood, and if that's not your thing you might want to pass. The vibe on this is probably gonna be more casual, having fun with video games than video games being serious business. That being said, I'm alright at video games though! And I get way too serious about them a lot of the time! And I played entirely too much Dark Souls I before starting this! I even mostly completed a soul level 1 character run over three days earlier this week no one cares

I will also need help from you. Yes, you! Since I'm going to be recording every day for the next three months, I would love to regularly get different people commentating with me. You don't need to know Dark Souls at all. Makes no difference to me. Some guidance occasionally would be nice, however. Good ole' George from the Majora's Mask LP will be joining me on at least the first episode, but I have not the slightest idea how available he will be going forward.

On days where I can't get anyone to commentate, I'll probably just stream. I'll post in this thread and the sticky ~15 minutes before when this is happening. Unfortunately, I can't stream with co-commentary. I upgraded my internet connection, but maxing at 2M up just ain't gonna cut it for this poo poo.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All you need is a Skype account and a mic, more or less. Also probably a drink. Either send me a message on Skype name: Frothypogs or a PM on the Something Awful Forums/Twitter @frothypogs. Try to be caught up if you want to commentate. I honestly don't care much though, and most of these videos will go up the morning after they are recorded so that may be difficult to require. I will usually begin recording between 5 and 9 EST, but work scheduling will be changing this pretty soon.

A bit. I prefer not to have anything mentioned in the thread unless I have either seen it on screen, or asked a question about it in the videos. That being said, I will be trying to avoid any sort of media related to Dark Souls II while doing this playthrough. My hope is for all advice to come through this thread, maybe? Is that too much to ask for? Probably, if only for the fact that no one wants to watch another loving dark souls lp whatever

If you must talk about something later in the game, tag that poo poo. I won't read anything with spoiler tags, though.

A Playlist with All of the Full Length Videos
A Playlist with All of the Abridged Videos

Day 1: The Hero, FRUMPTOOB
Day 2: Synth Talk and Ladder Bullshit
Day 3: A Maelstrom of Ambiguity and Darkness
Day 4: Dark Souls II 101 (feat. Simply Simon)
Day 5: Brutus Saves the Day (feat. An Evil Herbivore)
Day 6: Soul Skating
Day 7: Bleep Bloopin
Day 8: horse?
Day 9: The Memes...
Day 10: Weiner Holdin'
Day 11: Fashion Souls 101
Day 12: Boom Goes the Dynamite (feat. tzmhero)
Day 13: Butthorn
Day 14: A Day Well Spent (feat. END ME SCOOB)
Day 15: The Mystery of the Bonfire Key

smokyprogg fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jan 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smokyprogg
Apr 9, 2008

BROKEN DOWN!
MISSION FAILED

Dark Souls II! It's not Dark Souls I. I learned this today. Some mechanics were changed. Some items were re-located so that you might miss them, apparently. Some fall damage was taken.

Not much happens in this one, honestly. We do our character creation, watch some cutscenes, and gently caress off into the night more or less. It will get better! Probably!

Now how the gently caress do I gain levels so I can equip ANYTHING gently caress man

Day 1: The Hero, FRUMPTOOB
Day 1 (Abridged Version)

smokyprogg fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jan 19, 2016

Swork
Sep 5, 2011

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
to be funny
Are you going to be posting when you're playing? Because I would love to invade you a lot.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Really enjoyed your Majora's Mask LP. Glad to see you guys are doing Dark Souls!

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I don't know how much of a recording backlog you've got, but if you need a weapon, there's one in the tutorial area that even a Deprived can use. As for leveling, look for an NPC near the bonfire in Majula.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Swork posted:

Are you going to be posting when you're playing? Because I would love to invade you a lot.

I would like to make your life hell as well.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION

Fat and Useless posted:

I, three, would like to die to you and give you effigies through my own sheer incompetence.

Oh wait it would mean playing Dark Souls 2 again, though.

...so anyway, good thread so far. Game drives me up a loving wall but at least you're not taking it too seriously.

smokyprogg
Apr 9, 2008

BROKEN DOWN!
MISSION FAILED

Day 2:

Game design 201: If you're making a sequel, try not to switch the controls from the previous game so that you just straight up die if you do what worked before.

Mad about ladders.

Day 2: Synth Talk and Ladder Bullshit
Day 2 (Abridged Version)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Swork posted:

Fat and Useless posted:

Steak Eater posted:

I, three, would like to die to you and give you effigies through my own sheer incompetence.

I'll start doing this as of tonight. Probably streaming things tonight also, since I've asked a lot out of George lately.

Lizard Wizard posted:

I don't know how much of a recording backlog you've got, but if you need a weapon, there's one in the tutorial area that even a Deprived can use. As for leveling, look for an NPC near the bonfire in Majula.

Got both of these by accident, gently caress yeah. I'm assuming I have to exhaust the dialogue of that lady before she lets me level?

No backlog. Every episode is being edited, rendered, and uploaded a day at a time. IT INCREASES THE SUSPENSE.

smokyprogg fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jan 19, 2016

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, talk to the Emerald Herald enough and she'll give you a menu of things you can do.

Aside from leveling up, you should also "Upgrade Estus Flask" when she gives you the option; that's what that shard you found in the well is for. Estus flasks work a bit differently in DS2. You only get one use to start with, and every shard you find adds an additional use. Estus flask charges max out at 12 (there are 11 shards in the game and any you find in NG+ are totally useless).

smokyprogg
Apr 9, 2008

BROKEN DOWN!
MISSION FAILED

KieranWalker posted:

Yeah, talk to the Emerald Herald enough and she'll give you a menu of things you can do.

Aside from leveling up, you should also "Upgrade Estus Flask" when she gives you the option; that's what that shard you found in the well is for. Estus flasks work a bit differently in DS2. You only get one use to start with, and every shard you find adds an additional use. Estus flask charges max out at 12 (there are 11 shards in the game and any you find in NG+ are totally useless).

Awesome, thanks. I seem to recall reading something a while back that the Estus Flask doesn't recharge at every bonfire? Or am I mistaking that with leveling not being available? IDK

One more question: I parried a few guys in the most recent video, but didn't do a uniquely animated riposte like the first Dark Souls when I attacked. Am I doing something wrong?

Edit: oh yeah, how the gently caress do i do the ladder slide goddamn

smokyprogg fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jan 15, 2016

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer

smokyprogg posted:

Awesome, thanks. I seem to recall reading something a while back that the Estus Flask doesn't recharge at every bonfire? Or am I mistaking that with leveling not being available? IDK

One more question: I parried a few guys in the most recent video, but didn't do a uniquely animated riposte like the first Dark Souls when I attacked. Am I doing something wrong?

Edit: oh yeah, how the gently caress do i do the ladder slide goddamn

You must be thinking of not being able to level at bonfires. The estus flask absolutely does recharge at every bonfire.

Parrying and backstabbing is a little finicky in DS2; to get the riposte attack, you have to wait until the enemy's fully in their stunned state (wait for them to fall on their rear end, basically), then hit the attack button without tilting the control stick at all. Backstabbing also requires you to be standing perfectly still when you do it. Neither riposting nor backstabbing give you invincibility frames in DS2, so be careful you aren't about to be murdered by something when you do it.

To slide down ladders, you have to hold the control stick to climb down and then hold the run button.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Most important tip: resting at a bonfire will repair your gear unless it's completely broken. So just don't break things!
Looking forward to ample invasions in your future.

smokyprogg
Apr 9, 2008

BROKEN DOWN!
MISSION FAILED
Starting streaming now! Come at me mother fuckers

http://www.twitch.tv/frothypogs

died quick, terrible stream. good times

smokyprogg fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jan 16, 2016

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?
Really liked your Majora's Mask LP so I'm excited for this one.

Wish I could help with tips but I haven't played since before Scholar of the First Sin came out so I don't remember anything. It'll be a learning experience for both of us :shobon:.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Fortunately the game mechanics haven't changed between the original release and Scholar. The only things that are significantly different are enemy placement and item locations. And Scholar has one extra shortcut in an early-midgame area that makes it a lot easier to get through. Alas, while I know that much, I don't know jack poo poo about where things actually are in Scholar, so my advice may be of limited use.

smokyprogg
Apr 9, 2008

BROKEN DOWN!
MISSION FAILED

Day 3:

Welp, this was a short one. At least I learned about the behaviour of certain enemy types. And how seriously they'll gently caress you up if you are "wise" enough to pick a knife fight with them.

I streamed this one, and the audio hosed up, as well as the stream itself. Not sure if streaming is a super viable option in the future. If anyone watched, it would be nice to know if it was worth the effort or not. :P

Audio balance is a bit off in this one, but I found a second mic laying around, so this won't be an issue if I record with Audrey again. Woooo.

Day 3: A Maelstrom of Ambiguity and Darkness

Also, didn't realize that Scholar of the First Sin was a different game other than the DLC being included. Interesting. Hope I'm not cheating myself out of the True Dark Souls II Experience in any way.

smokyprogg fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jan 19, 2016

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Hey, you found the game's requisite bird nest trading spot! You've already got something you can leave there - a literal something, in fact. :wink:

smokyprogg
Apr 9, 2008

BROKEN DOWN!
MISSION FAILED

Lizard Wizard posted:

Hey, you found the game's requisite bird nest trading spot! You've already got something you can leave there - a literal something, in fact. :wink:

OH SHIIIIIIIT

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I was going to watch the stream, but by the time I saw the announcement it was already over.

As for SotFS, it's only a different game in that enemy/item placement is different and it runs on DX11 instead of DX9. With the DLC, the original release is essentially the same game, just with less fancy lighting effects. SotFS lets more people participate in the mutiplayer aspect and has a few interesting differences later in the game, but in my opinion it's not worth buying both versions, and you aren't really missing anything by only playing one or the other.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
This is a cool idea. I'd love to guest at some point in the future, will send you a message over Skype.

To expand on ladder talk: you can also quickly go up ladders by holding B. Basically, you can "run" up and down ladders now. It's good.

Also, you have already seen enemies hit your shield away and stun you that way (I didn't know the Hollows in Things Betwixt could do that, but it's a good way to teach you the move!). Yes, you can do that too. If you do, then now is the point to immediately attack like after a parry in DS1.

EDIT: Also the cyclops' grab attack is loving bullshit. It magnet pulls you in from half a planet away. Oh, and as was mentioned already, you are not invulnerable during backstabs/ripostes anymore, but you gain "super armor", meaning you lose far less life on hit and cannot be stunned out of the animation. Enemies can gain that too! Guess when :D.

Simply Simon fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jan 16, 2016

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

The stream lagged quite a bit and solo commentary was ehish because it was a ehish area.

Nest: There are specific items now for the nest, you no longer need to log out after dropping crap.

Ladders: Simon is good at megaman and ladder info giving.

Invading: You won't be invaded at all until you find the area with the first boss, then prepare for the fuckening. I'm not a big enough rear end in a top hat to invade in the first area.

White Soap Stone: Can be silly to find, keep talking to people until you exhaust conversation.

90 Days: This isn't happening.

FailAtMagic
Apr 11, 2011
I noticed your using your souls of the lost undead etc. items all the time. If your doing that because you dont want to pop 20 souls in a row before leveling DS2 allows you to pop multiple souls items at once so your just risking the souls needlesly.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

FailAtMagic posted:

I noticed your using your souls of the lost undead etc. items all the time. If your doing that because you dont want to pop 20 souls in a row before leveling DS2 allows you to pop multiple souls items at once so your just risking the souls needlesly.

Yeah, don't use soul items until you're ready to spend souls.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Dark Souls 2 has a great mechanic called soul memory, you have a total souls gained counter in your inventory screen and that is what your multiplayer experience is based off. There are basically different soul memory brackets and massive amounts of souls that are lost/used on anything not leveling hurts you unlike Dark Souls 1. There are ways to expand these brackets. This is only important for try hards like me, a normal person shouldn't notice the sperg they are playing with min-maxed his poo poo and has 200 extra hp and 4 extra strength.

gently caress Soul Memory.

smokyprogg
Apr 9, 2008

BROKEN DOWN!
MISSION FAILED

Day 4:

Today, I'm joined by forums user Simply Simon, and he sure knows more about this game than I do! Getting some advice on the mechanics is really nice, not gonna lie.

Day 4: Dark Souls II 101 (feat. Simply Simon)
Day 4 (Abridged Version)

Still looking for more commentary volunteers if people are interested!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fat and Useless posted:

Ladders: Simon is good at megaman and ladder info giving.

90 Days: This isn't happening.

I learned a lot about ladders! Ladder sprinting! Who knew?

And we aren't even 5% of the way though yet. I'm capable of learning! :colbert: maybe...

FailAtMagic posted:

I'm basically using them cause I'm not super worried about recovering (yet) and want to level up ASAP to use :krad: items such as a Shortsword for instance.

Fat and Useless posted:

Dark Souls 2 has a great mechanic called soul memory, you have a total souls gained counter in your inventory screen and that is what your multiplayer experience is based off. There are basically different soul memory brackets and massive amounts of souls that are lost/used on anything not leveling hurts you unlike Dark Souls 1. There are ways to expand these brackets. This is only important for try hards like me, a normal person shouldn't notice the sperg they are playing with min-maxed his poo poo and has 200 extra hp and 4 extra strength.

gently caress Soul Memory.

This sounds terrible, but then again, I spent a while last week invading the Undead Burg with my level 1 character using a +3 Lightning Reinforced Club. It's me. I'm why Soul Memory exists.

smokyprogg fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jan 19, 2016

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

I'm incredibly sorry that my dry Germanness didn't allow for many funny edits :geno:.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I didn't quite catch your "there are WORSE classes than Deprived?" question. I meant starting stats: Sorceror starts with 3 (!) STR and can only really equip the Dagger (and the Broken Thief Sword which you got from the corpse on the tree in the sleepy Hollow hollow), and Cleric has only 5 DEX.

EDITē: It's the Broken Short Sword, not Thief Sword. Spoilers: they both suck

Simply Simon fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jan 19, 2016

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

smokyprogg posted:

I'm why Soul Memory exists.

We all are... It's going away in 3 I believe.

Another day another death. Your reward is new exciting information on mechanics you don't know about and never would!

Power Stance: Unlike Dark Souls 1 you can dual wield weapons and have them attack at the same time! To do this you need two weapons of the same type like two daggers or a whip and an old whip as examples. You need 150% of the stats required on a weapon to power stance. Simply press and hold Y on an x-box controller and you'll now have a move set in your L1 and L2 that uses both weapons at the same time. SOME WEAPONS HAVE SUPER COOL UNIQUE poo poo! Try it with your fists.

But by doing this you give up parry in >most< cases.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

You might wanna turn your game audio down for future sessions. :shobon:

QuietMisdreavus
May 12, 2013

I'm fine. Nothing to worry about.
Oh hey, didn't realize you had a thread for this. This'll be a fun contrast to Dazz's LP of this game last year. Enjoying it so far.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

smokyprogg posted:

I'm basically using them cause I'm not super worried about recovering (yet) and want to level up ASAP to use :krad: items such as a Shortsword for instance.
They're saying that you should only use them when you're standing right in front of the Emerald Herald and about to level up, or in any other instance where you need souls right then

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
As pertaining to Dark Souls 2's fucky hitboxes, let me tell you a story.

Mimics return in Dark Souls 2. Spoilers? Who the hell cares; it's obvious. There's one late in the game that makes itself fairly obvious. Knowing full well that it was a mimic, I poked the thing with my sword, whacked it a few times, and got around behind it as it got up. I was standing at least my character's height away from it when it lunged forward, away from me. Let me repeat that, just to hammer home the point.

I was standing six feet behind the mimic, and it lunged farther away from me.

0.68 seconds later, I teleported into its mouth and it killed me.

Dark Souls 2's hitboxes are the fuckiest things to have ever hosed.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Happened to me a few times, too...Mimics are completely absurd in this game.

Next 20 videos: "wonder if this chest is gonna kill me??? oh god"

smokyprogg
Apr 9, 2008

BROKEN DOWN!
MISSION FAILED

Day 5:

Woaaaaah, a lot happened in this one. And I did a little bit of it as well! Shoutouts to Brutus. You're the loving man. I'm gonna name my firstborn after you. I love Brutus. Brutus is the best.

This is a long video. Just gonna throw that out there. Had some problems with power in my home in the woods that delayed this, but I'm going to start editing abridged versions of each video so that there is a nice, less than 10 minute alternative for every day where I don't die spectacularly in the first ten minutes. Will start uploading the abridged versions of videos tonight, and edit them into the rest of the posts. The plan going forward is to upload the full and abridged versions for each upcoming day.

Day 5: Brutus Saves the Day (feat. An Evil Herbivore)
Day 5 (Abridged Version)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Simply Simon posted:

I'm incredibly sorry that my dry Germanness didn't allow for many funny edits :geno:.

Nah, man, I really liked how it turned out. A thing I am enjoying about this LP is the variety of commentary among different people. Dry Germanness is quite the departure from frantic Rob 'n' Gerge talk, but works just as well imho.

Lizard Wizard posted:

You might wanna turn your game audio down for future sessions. :shobon:

Noted, and agreed. Started normalizing the game audio at -5 of the mics, and will continue to do this.

gently caress everything about that. Time to start attacking all of the chests. *sigh*

smokyprogg fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jan 19, 2016

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Et tu, Brute?

Brutus is a cheating slut and by proxy so are you. You are now being hunted. Pucker your rear end in a top hat. Dark Souls starts now or something.

Time for today's Fat and Useless reads the instruction booklet!

You have access to 2 covenants and several split paths, that's it, you cheated. God drat I'm salty about souls.

The covenant of champions as was stated makes enemies much harder and they aggro you from further away, it also disables helpful co-op. You can't summon(including npcs) or be summoned. You can be invaded.

Points are earned by beating invaders and certain enemies.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I'm just gonna throw this out there - you can safely eat the Last Giant's soul unless you plan on having a whopping 45 Strength later.

smokyprogg
Apr 9, 2008

BROKEN DOWN!
MISSION FAILED

Fat and Useless posted:

Dark Souls starts now or something.

come at me bitch (starting to play in ~10 minutes)

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

smokyprogg posted:

come at me bitch (starting to play in ~10 minutes)

Invaded 30 worlds including DangleDongs. Tomorrow is another day.

Day 6 edit: I now know where you went, good job on finding one of the pvp hot spots! Many fun facts await you after you post the video.

Fat and Useless fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jan 19, 2016

smokyprogg
Apr 9, 2008

BROKEN DOWN!
MISSION FAILED

Day 6:

Have you seen Brink!? It's the heartwarming tale of Brink "Brink" Brinker as he skates, but he don't do it for money even though he can get paid probably also his dad would respect him more if he just sold out absolving that whole plot thread man, Val was a douche I'm glad his pizza got hosed u- *falls off walkway*

what the gently caress is a heide

Day 6: Soul Skating
Day 6: (Abridged Version)

From here on out, I'll try to upload both the full and abridged videos at once.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fat and Useless posted:

Invaded 30 worlds including DangleDongs. Tomorrow is another day.

Day 6 edit: I now know where you went, good job on finding one of the pvp hot spots! Many fun facts await you after you post the video.

gently caress man. i just wanna hang out with DangleDongs, is that too much to ask for?

smokyprogg fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jan 21, 2016

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Alright tips and tricks time.

Maybe you noticed while editing but there was a bonfire on your right at the start of the tower of flame you walked past.

You have 3 main places you can go and a bunch of side areas in the forest you haven't been to yet with good things in them.

You have now met the pursuer, try a tactic you gave up doing.

The dudes sitting down are Heide Knights, in the original Dark Souls 2 these were the dark knights of the game. Now they are just chillin. Some of them have cool weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

You rear end in a top hat, that was un-loving-called for!

Don't ever call me Austrian again! I am German and if you insult me like that again I will go SS on your rear end!

Beard = Bart. Schwarzbart.

why are you talking about meat what is going on

Also, I got some comments for the last video prepared, just wanted to get thiiiis out of the way.

EDIT: Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy is called "Lustiges Sporen Drama" in German. It means "funny spore drama". But it also contains a hidden message. Can you figure it out?

Simply Simon fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jan 19, 2016

• Locked thread