Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Onto the comments. Roughly in chronological order of what happened in the video.
The Dagger is actually pretty good - it's one of THE best weapons for backstabs and ripostes. There's an area where enemies are super resistant to magic, but super open to backstabs. The lowly, unupgraded dagger saved my rear end.

You should not dismiss parrying, it's great against some foes that would be a real nuisance to fight otherwise. Friend of mine started the game without any knowledge from DS1, and while he missed the Emerald Herald like you initially did, he did great with the combat because he thought "parrying sounds great and I know how to time stuff from Devil May Cry", parried everything and we were like you can parry even that guy??? watching him play. Completely unrelated, you should try the Buckler some time.

Before everyone loses interest in this word-rear end post, an important message about Adaptibility: Agility does indeed have breakpoints, because certain numbers mean you drink one frame quicker or are invincible for one frame longer. The numbers to keep in mind are 96, 100 and 105; I think 96 is "fine", 100 is "better" and 105 is "basically only to drink a tiny bit quicker" iirc. If you ever plan on casting heavily, Attunement also gives a (comparatively tiny) AGI bonus.

Back to video things - I was disappointed that you didn't try out the Ballista to shoot Brutus in the back :D.

Is Scholar better about enemy swarms than DS2 vanilla? Let me put it this way: after you triggered the trap next to Pate, five dudes poured out of the building. In vanilla, two of these attack you immediately, then three more as you go inside, then two are on the stairs. That's two more? No, vanilla doesn't have the two idiots hitting the...tree.

It's good that you know about how hidden doors work now. It took me three quarters of the game to get it. Hitting all the walls to check for doors...and you know why? Not only because it was this way in DS1, but also because the thing that happens when you do have a "Pharros' Lockstone" read for the strange wall face does require you to hit the wall to open something up.

To address more questions: You cannot heal co-op buddies, but they can now just chug their own Estus. Scholar doesn't change the NPC summon quests (if you bump into Pate later, he will now have a reward for you because you summoned him), but it added a lot more, especially small sign, NPC summons.

I also really love the Last Giant design. And no idea where the gently caress the turtle dude was coming from, holy poo poo.

Finally, kneel before the Stone, you PUSSY. I did that when starting the game and for hours was wondering why the hell it was so hard??? What was going on?????
tbf it does say "this will put you down an ardous path", but I thought that meant like you will get invaded more (which I was super pumped for) or add additional enemies or whatever, not "everything has 1.5 times health and damage now and they hate you from kilometers off lol" (it's not full NG+ boni, btw).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Oh, I've got a few things to say for sure.

First, it didn't really come up because Brutus had your back yesterday, but typically you'll want to have at least two weapons handy so you can go through an area without risking breaking anything - and it helps with versatility, too! I'd personally recommend the Hand Axe, but just get something in there.

Second, you probably plan on doing so, but comb over the Forest of the Fallen Giants again. You've missed a few branching paths and no shortage of sweet gear.

And last but certainly not least, remember that guy in Majula who you nabbed a Titanite Shard from? He'll sell you armor. 70% is the new threshold for fat rolls, so find him and throw all the souls you want at him.

FailAtMagic
Apr 11, 2011
Truly gravity is the hardest boss in dark souls

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

I offered to give some opinions on the weapons we saw, so I will! Tell me if I missed one.

Fists: Join the "makes everything harder" Covenant. Kill 50 Invaders or find super rare drops off big enemies. Get a ring that makes Fists stronger. This is pretty Awesome. (don't actually do this)
Dagger: See above, great for backstabbing/riposting. I think you totally missed that you can actually stab forward with it! It and other daggers can be nice because they attack fast with low damage, but you'll need a certain something you could actually get right now (but it's behind two layers of "protection" from you - knowledge and ability - so I won't tattle) to really utilize that.
Morning Star: it's surprisingly bad. A nice source of striking damage, but there are just better weapons (see below). The Bleed effect might as well not exist.
Hand Axe: it's solid, damage-wise. Really loving boring, though. Range is eh. Can carry you a while, but why would you?
Broken Thief/Short Sword: I don't really know why those exist now that you cannot make an uncursed sword from the worst weapon in the game anymore.
Short Sword: it's a perfectly good weapon, has a nice and varied moveset, speed and acceptable damage. Can't go wrong with almost any of the vast number of Short Swords in this game (I never use them, too STANDARD).
Mail Breaker: it's a stabby weapon! It's fine because rapiers are loving gross in DS2. There are better ones. It's special though because it's R2 pierces shields (DS2 hates shields, see also: the guard break move). There's another shield-piercing rapier you can get later, though.
Winged Spear: it's nowhere near as good as it was in DS1 where you could pick it up immediately and go own the game if the Zweihander was even MORE too broken for you. That's mostly because there's a fuckton of great spears in DS2 and Winged is a boring stabby forward spear. It's not bad, but it's not cool and fun.

Light Crossbow and Short Bow: use these to have range, but not for anything else.

Shop inventories!

Melentia

Club: it's wooden

it's also surprisingly good. You could finish the game with this. Strike damage OP.

Caestus: holy loving poo poo are Caesti awesome in DS2. Two of these powerstanced and the game is the BITCH of you, master of pugilism. I'm not joking here, you can punchman the gently caress out of DS2 and it will rule your world. You might not want to do it right now after my stunning endorsement, it's best enjoyed after you got used to the enemies and environments, because of course you have no range, but God drat are Caesti fun.

We saw the rest of her weapons in action. Pro-tip for armor: the helmet she sells increases item drop rate. Also looks goofy and you can still admire your beard!

Lenigrast

Broad Sword: it's a short sword (by class) which doesn't stab, only swing. I think it's possibly the most boring weapon in DS2. Solid, I guess.
Longsword: Had to look up the difference between this and the above. Two-handing this gives you stab attacks (try out two-handing all weapons for moveset variety, shields are at best optional anyway!) as opposed to the boring-rear end Broadsword. Don't buy it though, a little exploration will give you an even more interesting one, if you care for it anyway.
Estoc: now we're talking. This is a stabby sword which also has a sideways slash, so best of both worlds. It's better for balanced/STR builds than the Rapier, both are loving awesome and can win you the game with quite absurd ease.
Rapier: see above, but DEX and no sideways slash. Will end up with more damage, though. Buff this with something, two-hand it and melt bosses. It's obscene. Don't actually do this unless you want to break the game, especially with DS1 experience under your belt.
Falchion: curved swords aren't my favourite weapons, but some people swear by them. You use them by R1'ing a lot. I prefer using a single R2 from a GIGANTING SLAB OF METAL to flatten dudes, so this is like my anathema. You will find a Scimitar later - I think it's worse than the Falchion. For some reason.
Battle Axe: never used this. Hand Axe is probably better. Also, it's a loving axe, it's moveset is "swing" and "swing, but a little slower with more damage maybe".
Mace: want a STR build and not think about anything? Buy this, upgrade it ASAP, win the game. It's boring as poo poo (unless you powerstance two, then it gains a little "holy poo poo" factor), but you can just go to loving town on dudes with it. Spoilers: it's because of the strike damage...but also because it's a lot of bang for little buck, I guess.
Spear: this is better than the Winged Spear in most ways, I think, especially because it has a sweeping attack. Which deals strike damage :getin:.

And that's it, I think!

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I think it's pretty clear that the broken swords are there as something for the player to use between fists and straight swords. They've graduated from "wet noodle that you can turn into a super secret sword if you've read the wiki" to "thank god I technically have a weapon now".

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jan 19, 2016

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Echoing that a lot of the spears in this game are really neat. Halberds are hit or miss but when they hit they are the strongest weapons in the game(IMO). Scythes have been moved to their own little category and you now have to hit an enemy in the correct sweet spot of the weapon to do the big numbers(not hitting with the shaft). There are also two new types of weapons you may fancy.

Spell Talk: Staves are for sorcery and hexes, Chimes are for miracles and hexes.

Sorcery is the same mostly, the new stuff is cool.

Miracles aren't as great as they were in the first game, I'm looking at you wrath of god...

Hexes(Dark Sorcery) are their own thing now separate from sorcery. They scale off faith and int, whichever is the lowest is what it uses. There is a cost for using the strongest hexes. In PvP hexes will one or two shot you.

Pyromancy now scales with faith and int but has no stat requirements to cast, it still hurts.

I used to use the broken sword along with the dagger in the original dark souls 2, it was pretty tough to make it to the forest tower bonfire without one breaking.

Oh also you can power stance crossbows. Do it.

Fat and Useless fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jan 20, 2016

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Lizard Wizard posted:

I think it's pretty clear that the broken swords are there as something for the player to use between fists and straight swords. They've graduated from "wet noodle that you can turn into a super secret sword if you've read the wiki" to "thank god I technically have a weapon now".
Yeah, but Dagger in the tutorial area...

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Did they fix the durability fps thing in SotFS?

QuietMisdreavus
May 12, 2013

I'm fine. Nothing to worry about.
Heh, I wondered how you'd handle the floaty guy on the raised platform. I didn't take into account that you could just run away, though. Probably the best move for the sake of the LP, given your constraints.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Simply Simon posted:

Yeah, but Dagger in the tutorial area...

Which it technically outclasses in terms of raw damage.

smokyprogg
Apr 9, 2008

BROKEN DOWN!
MISSION FAILED
woah replies

will reply at some point but PLAYING DORK SOULS COME AT ME

edit: aaaaaaand dead

smokyprogg fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jan 20, 2016

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

No fun names today, did run into a group of Chinese people though.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer

Fat and Useless posted:

Did they fix the durability fps thing in SotFS?

Yes. But only because it was affecting console versions running at 60 FPS. On the one hand, this did finally make From go and fix not only the PC version of SotFS, but the original PC release as well. On the other hand, it just highlights what a bunch of assholes they were about it, having apparently completely ignored the issue for a couple of years until the PS4 and dogbox versions suffered the same problem.

Different subject:

Rob, attacking chests is all well and good. I implore you however to do so carefully. Attacking a wooden chest more than twice will destroy it and reduce its contents to useless rubbish.

Mimics have a slightly different and easier to spot tell in Dark Souls 2. Instead of the chain being curled the wrong direction as in DkS, all of DS2's mimics have what looks like a lock on the front. It's not always immediately obvious, but you should be able to identify them if you pay attention.

That being said, there is one chest in the game that has a lock, and is not a mimic. Have fun figuring out which one it is! :munch:

smokyprogg
Apr 9, 2008

BROKEN DOWN!
MISSION FAILED

Day 7:

Ugh, that halberd wasn't worth it. I'm gonna blame this one on not having my heart in it. I gots all the excuses. My character arc of Dark Souls II will involve me taking responsibilities for my failures in gaming and life haha no

Day 7: Bleep Bloopin'

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As far as progress, I'm not sure if I have the time to have the luxury to explore if I want to beat the game in the timeframe I want. I probably should just give up now, but gently caress that. Is there anything left in the Forest that I should definitely go for? I'll probably continue to occasionally fight that Pursuer guy, but I'm not sure about the rest. meh.

This is a good rear end post. I want to try out some of the dual wielding (particularly my favorite poo poo weapon from DS1, the caestus) but I'm really afraid of the survivability for this run if I make an attempt. Are shields really as optional as you would have me believe?

I will be attempting some power stance shenanigans today, if I can figure out how that works.

I think I've only used magic in Dark Souls 1 on a SL1 pyromancy character. This ain't Harry Potter poo poo, it's big swords to compensate for my tiny tiny penis
I take it that sort of splashing in magic into a build isn't worth it if you can't commit INT points?

KieranWalker posted:

Rob, attacking chests is all well and good. I implore you however to do so carefully. Attacking a wooden chest more than twice will destroy it and reduce its contents to useless rubbish.

This is a really good change. I like it.

Lizard Wizard posted:

This, I don't like as much. Turning that lovely stub from the Asylum into Artorias' sword was an awesome moment from the first game.

smokyprogg fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jan 21, 2016

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Maybe you'l find items later that let you do cool things with low int.

Don't think I've ever used a shield in any of my dark souls 2 play throughs, two handers and dual wielding are just too good.

As far as back tracking goes there is one NPC for you to find and MAIN QUEST PROGRESS(1 Boss) in the forest. There is also MAIN QUEST PROGRESS(2 Bosses) and 2 NPCS in the tower of flame. Also there is a giant loving hole in Majula.

:allears: It's hard to pin where you are because all I have to go on is where your bloodstain last was. For example today I'll be carpet bombing the forest again. I'll getcha eventually!

Fat and Useless fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jan 21, 2016

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug
I really think it's not possible for you to finish this in 90 deaths/days. But I am rooting for you. Prove me wrong and good luck!!!!

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

smokyprogg posted:

This, I don't like as much. Turning that lovely stub from the Asylum into Artorias' sword was an awesome moment from the first game.

It's like the most counterintuitive thing in the world though.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Haha yesss finally someone falls for the sword trap. All of my friends that I watched play blind after me were too careful. Welcome to Dark Souls :getin:.

Schadenfreude (pronounced scootenfroody) aside, you figured out the best tactic against the turtles: wait for their swing attack and take one step back, no rolls. Then they're not so tough. By the way one of the many enemies weak to strike damage, Heide's Tower is also full of those and its difficulty scales directly with the amount of Mace you use. I always pronounced it like you did, by the way (Hi dere!), but I think the correct one is indeed something like "hate". German "heide" means "meadow", though. How pleasant :).
In Scholar, the white Heide knights don't have fixed drops (one does, but he's special) - remember the tree in the glen with all the lazy hollows lounging? There used to sit one there in vanilla, and he had a guaranteed drop of his sword if you killed him. It's a pretty loving sweet weapon, too, with built-in lightning damage. Now you have to farm for it. Upside: their armor used to only drop in NG+, now you can get it immediately (if you are prepared to farm for hours). There were more fixed-drop Heide knights strewn around, but those are gone now.
By the by, those are enemies that are pretty loving tough until you remember that parrying is a thing - if you can do that, they're chumps. One of the applications I was talking about. That's what the Buckler is for - I can't parry for poo poo with other shields...

Normal shields (to block with) get several nerfs in DS2: you get a 100% physblock one pretty late (you don't have access yet!), they tend to be heavy then, enemies can guard-break you and PvP opponents too, many enemies (like the loving cyclopsogretrolls) have grab attacks that ignore shields completely...
Still, I had great success using one on my first playthrough. You have to really change your playstyle into Stamina Management Simulator 3000 though. Then, in typical Souls' fashion, they trivialize some encounters other people who swear by dodging wring their hands over. And will get you killed in scenarios where you really should be rolling instead :v:.

Of course, then you have the incentive of eschewing shields completely and just two-hand stuff (different movesets!), or Powerstance. I gave you the cliffnotes on skype, again here if someone wants to expand on it: get two compatible weapons (Dagger/Dagger, Dagger/Sword, Mace/Club, NOT Dagger/Rapier, Whip/Sword), put one in left and one in right hand. The order matters! Sword(R)/Dagger(L) will give you...uh...Sword powerstance moves (I think, but that's easily tested) and Dagger/Sword will give you Dagger ones.
Get your states up to 1.5x the requirements. Then hold Y. If FRUMPTOOP raises his arms slightly, you did good, son. If you two-hand the left-handed weapon instead, you hosed something up.
You can now use the right-hand weapon normally (one-handed moveset only, of course), but with L1 and L2 you have Powerstance moves using both weapons. Those are usually weapon-class-based, but some are weapon-specific (mostly for boss soul and special weapons). I think the thread will helpfully point those out to you.

On the usefulness: I played a lot with different weapons in Powerstance, and it's actually kind of a mixed bag. Your gear right now won't make you happy - two Short Swords are cool I guess, but you mostly lose a lot of Stamina to do a big, slow attack which is still not quite enough to simply one-hit dudes; better to just hit twice and have a parry-shield ready, or two-hand the weapon and go to town. Same for Daggers. Maces, now? That's a different picture, because those are strong already, and double the club means that you can now one-hit dudes which you couldn't before, a huge benefit.
For the punchyfists, it's mandatory to Powerstance, the movesets becomes useable with it. It's what made them from a novelty into one of the most fun ways to play DS2.
Oh, and remember the other player ghost at the bonfire at the end of our shared video? Two gently caress-off Greatswords [which are actually Ultra Great Swords yada yada...]? He had those babies powerstanced. Needs iirc 45 STR. But then you can slam both of them into enemies at the same time :fuckoff:.

smokyprogg
Apr 9, 2008

BROKEN DOWN!
MISSION FAILED

Day 8:

Got to a new place! Kinda. gently caress a skeleton. Bone boning. Boning out.

Gonna restore my humanity and try to progress in the Heidi Tower tonight. I can only hope Brutus is there for me. WHERE YOU AT BRUTUS

Day 8: horse?
Day 8 (Abridged Version)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fat and Useless posted:

As far as back tracking goes there is one NPC for you to find and MAIN QUEST PROGRESS(1 Boss) in the forest. There is also MAIN QUEST PROGRESS(2 Bosses) and 2 NPCS in the tower of flame. Also there is a giant loving hole in Majula.

:allears: It's hard to pin where you are because all I have to go on is where your bloodstain last was. For example today I'll be carpet bombing the forest again. I'll getcha eventually!

Welp, forgot to post yesterday when I was playing, so I'll let you know that I'm gonna do the tower today. And probably go human. Why the gently caress would i tell you this

Lizard Wizard posted:

It's like the most counterintuitive thing in the world though.

Totally fair. I'm a sucker for the "useless piece of poo poo you get becomes end-game weapon through convoluted bullshit" trope, I guess. :v:

slowbeef posted:

I really think it's not possible for you to finish this in 90 deaths/days. But I am rooting for you. Prove me wrong and good luck!!!!

I'm sure it's possible! I just gotta stop sucking at the game, which is the real holdup. It's that simple, right?

Simply Simon posted:

POWERSTANCE

Two gently caress-off Greatswords [which are actually Ultra Great Swords yada yada...]? He had those babies powerstanced. Needs iirc 45 STR. But then you can slam both of them into enemies at the same time :fuckoff:.

Oh man, that's so appealing, you have no idea. That's what I've always hoped for since first getting a Black Knight Greatsword drop, and I never even realized it.

smokyprogg fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jan 22, 2016

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

smokyprogg posted:

Welp, forgot to post yesterday when I was playing, so I'll let you know that I'm gonna do the tower today. And probably go human. Why the gently caress would i tell you this

Some people go through their first play through with no invasions, soul memory sucks that hard.

Not only does my soul memory need to be at or under your soul memory(which I have to guess at without undercutting my rear end) but there is no infinite invasion item in Dark Souls 2. You have to buy or farm cracked orbs for precious souls and the vendor for cracked reds is behind several bosses that give more souls than you have soul memory right now. The invader will always be weaker than you stat wise until you get to new game plus range because of this. Invading also gives souls and that would keep you from sitting in one soul memory bracket. Luckily a ring was added that throws souls into nothingness in SotFS, it's still further in than you actually are.

So how do I manage to invade before 10 hours in to the game you ask? I cheat in orbs. I am no better than Brutus carving through the first zone for you. I'll kill myself after all this is done as an apology.

Your tip for today, steam don't give a poo poo about hacking as long as you do it offline. Things go to poo poo if your soul memory doesn't match your level.

I suppose another tip is the higher your soul memory goes the more likely you are to be invaded by not me. You can be invaded while hollow. Good luck.

TL:DR in bold

Powerstancing two ultra great swords is a fun activity you should work towards.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

One area about the same size as the one you explored today in Forest contains one of the few weapons in DS2 that are pre-infused. I think I'll talk more about that later as it comes up, in short: you do no longer have to upgrade weapons first, then make them elemental, then upgrade again; you can just put the elements in. So you can find a fire Longsword in that optional area, which is pretty good but nothing to get really excited about (it does not actually deal more damage unless the enemy is weak).

Another area that has opened up with the Key you got from the Last Giant is a little bigger, FAR deadlier and has nothing incredibly much of value - two weapons which are eh and gimmicky, respectively. There is one more door you can unlock with the key that is for a long while optional, and another that is progress if you so choose.

I would indeed recommend putting the Lockstone into the wallface, but beware, the area the face is in is actually quite deadly; Brutus helped you there a lot (I died a thousand times, might also have been the hardcore mode covenant tho...). Otherwise, as your helpful guide this time mentioned, Heide is your oyster! gently caress that one mace guy so hard, though...

On weapon(s): I really, really don't like Halberds in this game. They have really cool movesets and stuff and variety and some are STR-scaling, some are DEX-scaling, but what kills it for me is the sweet spot. Basically, you want to hit with the BLADE, so at range, or you deal crap damage. It's the same for scythes ("Reapers" in DS2), incidentally. I hate that and I tried long to adapt to it, but I can't. Doesn't matter, there are enough other cool weapons, but not for me. I suggest you try it out and see if you can work with the sweet spot.

Also, one thing I should mention about trying poo poo out: for normal (not Powerstance, obviously) moveset testing, you do not have to worry about stat requirements at all. DS2 removed the helpless stumble animations you do when not fulfilling a weapon's requirements, so you can easily try out a fuckoff club now to see if the moveset suits you or if it's a dealbreaker immediately, then decide if you want to raise your stats to use it properly.

smokyprogg
Apr 9, 2008

BROKEN DOWN!
MISSION FAILED

I just assumed you were starting a new character, keeping around my soul memory level to gently caress with me. Then I realized that if you did this, you would pass my soul memory level somewhere around the 2nd or 3rd time you successfully killed someone probably. Soul memory really is the loving worst, isn't it? When I first started this LP, I was worried that the hollow invasions would mean too much PvP, but now I'm worried that I'm not gonna get ANY. what a strange turnaround. I guess I can bring up my Soul Memory at points to give you a better guess? Would that even help anything?

Also, at least with Dark Souls 1, Steam don't give a poo poo even if you hack online, which was the best (for PvE exclusive people like me). I assume From's servers are catching hacks for DS2, but there was nothing more fun than watching summoned Sunbros react to an aggression-modded, perma-gravelorded Anor Londo. :unsmigghh:

I figure I'll come back to the forest once I feel confident I can one-shot the enemies, and maybe watch through the Brutus video again to see where the guys are that he took out. For now though, I'm more than a bit worried about that first mace guy cutting off my run today super early. It didn't seem like he had many openings when I fought him last time, and he also doesn't strike me as a particularly forgiving guy to learn the moveset from.

i figure I'll upgrade up to the halberd to give it a shot, but once again the two pieces of advice I've gotten on this one are entirely paradoxical. Granted, I trust you a bit more than a random YouTube commenter. I know I thought that it was ridiculous how you could simply poke someone with the hilt for full damage in DS1, but it seems really restricting to be sort of forced to keep foes at range. Totally understand the change, though.

Realglad I don't have to commit myself to try out movesets though. Had a DS1 character I just gave up on after throwing in enough souls to one hand the Asylum Demon's hammer and realizing that I loving hated the moveset.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

The mace guy is a superdick (this is fact, not my opinion). This is one area where shields are indeed very useful, if only to prevent some of the damage while you learn the moveset (I think his overhead swing might not be fully blockable). He really does not have many openings, though. Bring a fast weapon and patience.

Do try the Halberd. Halberds are good IF you can work with the sweet spot. Should that click for you, you'll fall in love. It never clicked for me - I really, really depend on getting consistent damage in every time - so I won't use them. It's a love/hate thing or rather a works/doesn't work thing, like some people are fine with parrying everything and others will never try nor need to figure it out. It's cool, though, that's one of the best things in Souls game, everyone finds their style. I'm trying to keep this neutral or at least with opinions most people seem to agree on (I frequent the DS2 thread in Games).

I personally also don't have much of a problem with Soul Memory - you really shouldn't worry about PvP. There will be enough opportunities to get PLENTY of that in. Just not the invasion kind. Though SotFS is well equipped to help you out with that :haw:.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

smokyprogg posted:

Throw fatty a bone

When Dark Souls 2 came out I farmed the equivalent of the darkmoon covenant from the first game for 500 wins (tier 3 of the covenant). Some people play this for fun but I played for the god drat shinny blue aura you get. 500 WINS... You have to farm these orbs and this poo poo took months back when we feared VAC bans if we ever cheated in orbs which oops VAC was never actually on! The rear end in a top hat convent is even worse to level up because you need to invade people and kill them to get an item to enter an arena to go up one point in the covenant(500 wins for great chaos fireball, gently caress you). We've had goons try and get banned never getting sent to the legendary cheater server. Like blatant flying 99 stats rainbow aura modded moveset invincible poo poo.

I know the soul memory ranges, I know the rough amount a player should have at a given boss and I can just under cut what you have. Look at it as a handicap for me putting in triple digit hours into this lovely game. I won't use anything you can't get ahold of yet. The one golden rule never to touch is soul memory so a new character is mandatory.

The first time you will probably get legit invaded is after you kill the 4 things of destiny. This really sucks because there is a covenant at the start that summons help for you in the form of another player if you get invaded. Sounds cool but it never happens because there are no invasions.

Simply Simon posted:

The mace guy is a superdick

At least he doesn't have infinite stamina RIGHT? Like they'd ever put in an enemy that never stops attacking and can 2 shot you with a giant range.

Dark Souls 2 has alot of tiny poo poo that keeps adding up and that's why people rag on it. SOTFS tried to fix some of it.

Edit: Also there is a way to reset your stats if you don't like a play style.

Fat and Useless fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jan 21, 2016

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

You're absolutely right that the Red and Blue Covenants are completely loving worthless and a gigantic pain in the rear end. They were doomed to fail from the start by far too many factors.

Who loving cares, though, when there is Rats and Bells to be had :v:? Now those are fun PvP. I'd love in invasions were better, but I'm so happy with how especially the latter works that I can't even be mad.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Simply Simon posted:

You're absolutely right that the Red and Blue Covenants are completely loving worthless and a gigantic pain in the rear end. They were doomed to fail from the start by far too many factors.

Who loving cares, though, when there is Rats and Bells to be had :v:? Now those are fun PvP. I'd love in invasions were better, but I'm so happy with how especially the latter works that I can't even be mad.

Rats and Bats are fun even for people who hate pvp and I hope they come back for Dark Souls 3. I mean Rats doesn't even punish people for losing and I've still found people who alt f4 on me when I suck em in.

Roll facts(since we needed them and I'm bored):

99 AGI is what you want to aim for, after that AGI returns get halved. AGI is all that effects the invul frames on a roll.

Your weight effects fall damage, roll distance, and stamina regen. Even a single % will increase/decrease everything by a fraction.

Fat and Useless fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jan 21, 2016

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

I love being a Bell keeper its great fun and also opt in for the victims so you never feel like you are ruining someones day.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Having recently nearly finished this game power-stancing 2 ultra-greatswords is indeed amazing, however power-stancing 2 Dragon teeth sucks and you're better off just alternating left and right swings. The move-set means you just slowly crawl forward crushing any enemy foolish enough to stand in your way.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

You have invaded the world of TouchYourPP.

What do I even say to that?

Oh I found the perfect words for it....

Try right hand.... then good job.

Invaded the world of I Love ******, I wave and he magics me until I die then has 3 giants kill him.

Heide's tower of flame can go to hell.

Fat and Useless fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jan 22, 2016

smokyprogg
Apr 9, 2008

BROKEN DOWN!
MISSION FAILED

Day 9:

Jesus loving Christ, Glencour. At least I made some progress and got a useful-ish ring? I'm sick of these loving giants though.

Priorities going forward: Level up str to 20 to one-hand the halberd. Fight boss. Kill boss. I might just use another effigy today, since I seem to have more than enough of them.

I still really want to get invaded too. It's been too drat long so far.

Day 9: The Memes...
*abridged video coming soon*

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fat and Useless posted:

when I suck em in.

Wait, is there some sort of reverse invasion covenant? Sounds loving dope.

Simply Simon posted:

you really shouldn't worry about PvP. There will be enough opportunities to get PLENTY of that in. Just not the invasion kind. Though SotFS is well equipped to help you out with that :haw:.

I have no idea what you're alluding to, but I like it. Invading is kinda boring, and from what you said on Skype, that's the least fleshed out PvP in DS2. I'M READY TO DIE, INTERNET, PLEASE TAKE ME

Fat and Useless posted:

Heide's tower of flame can go to hell.

Already agree, just based on the giants. The Anor Londo giants were more or less my least favorite thing to fight in DS1, so I'm glad there's an area that's nothing but those. FUN.

As a non-LP note, this is the view from my computer chair right now:

Supposed to snow for at least the next 24 hours, and my power will likely be gone for at least a day. In this case, I'll just record 2 deaths a day until caught up. Woo, weather.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Try the running attack with the halberd, when people say it's the best weapon type in the game it's because of that.

Estus gives that quick burst of healing while life gems heal over time, the bigger the gem the longer the time. They probably both take the same time to activate, maybe gems are a little faster? If you want to use gems in combat run like hell, pop one, and then run away until you feel you have enough hp. According to some nerd your current drink time is 2.267 seconds, at 100 AGI it will be 1.933 seconds.

As far as healing value goes Estus +0 gives slightly more hp than the smallest life gem.

And yes there is a covenant for dragging people into your world for PvP shenanigans, if you win you get a Pharros' Lockstone. There's more to it but I'll let you find out on your own.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Shield bash the annoying spear fuckers maaaan

Your disappointment with the Halberd's riposte damage shows why I wouldn't discount the lowly dagger at all. Keep in in an open right-hand slot and riposte with it - because that will do an easy 700 damage. Unupgraded :ese:.

loving Glencour, haha...

EDIT: Also, you often commit the typical mistake of doing three hits with your Halberd when the combo is finished after two, and you really should already be rolling away. Then the enemy attacks, you might even have enough time to still get away...but no Stamina to roll. Might wanna look into that :D.

Simply Simon fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jan 23, 2016

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Simply Simon posted:

Shield bash the annoying spear fuckers maaaan

Your disappointment with the Halberd's riposte damage shows why I wouldn't discount the lowly dagger at all. Keep in in an open right-hand slot and riposte with it - because that will do an easy 700 damage. Unupgraded :ese:.

loving Glencour, haha...

EDIT: Also, you often commit the typical mistake of doing three hits with your Halberd when the combo is finished after two, and you really should already be rolling away. Then the enemy attacks, you might even have enough time to still get away...but no Stamina to roll. Might wanna look into that :D.

Wasn't the base dagger the best riposte weapon?

Edit: Yeah if you want to min max it's the best.

Fat and Useless fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jan 23, 2016

smokyprogg
Apr 9, 2008

BROKEN DOWN!
MISSION FAILED
New video is having problems uploading due to snow, as well as the video being very long.

That being said, if you want to invade me, I'm gonna start in 10 minutes. Hit me up at The Lost Bastille :whatup:

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

smokyprogg posted:

New video is having problems uploading due to snow, as well as the video being very long.

That being said, if you want to invade me, I'm gonna start in 10 minutes. Hit me up at The Lost Bastille :whatup:

Lost Bastille has several invade points and I'm out of orbs. Today is a pass.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Fat and Useless posted:

Lost Bastille has several invade points and I'm out of orbs. Today is a pass.
Spoilers: his internet dropped out after five minutes of recording and the rest was offline. You saved yourself some frustration!

smokyprogg
Apr 9, 2008

BROKEN DOWN!
MISSION FAILED

Day 10:

Well, snow made this one take loving forever to upload thanks to the internet cutting out periodically. Could have also posted Day 11, but decided to prioritize the abridged videos for this one cause it's loving long uncut.

Not to say this is where The Real Dark Souls Begins, but I feel much more confident about beating the game in 90 deaths now. SIMON BACK ME UP HERE

Day 10: Weiner Holdin'
Day 10 (Abridged Version, Part 1)
Day 10 (Abridged Version, Part 2)

smokyprogg fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jan 25, 2016

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Actually, the game's only rated T! Also, that soul you got from probably-Ornstein makes exactly the weapon you think it does.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jan 25, 2016

smokyprogg
Apr 9, 2008

BROKEN DOWN!
MISSION FAILED
Lol, seriously? Dark Souls II: about as objectionable as Tony Hawk's Pro Skater.

Lore question: What the gently caress is probably-Ornstein doing in this game? Nothing from the first game at all, then BAM, Dragonslayer's back, bitches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Well he doesn't use lightning anymore, he uses dark.

What is he doing here is a very good question. This is the future. That is an old dragon slayer.

That's all you are given.

I know what area you are in now at least so I can start trying again. There is more than one way into Lost Bastille, I assumed you went the other harder way. I am let down.

• Locked thread