Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Swork posted:

Are you going to be posting when you're playing? Because I would love to invade you a lot.

I would like to make your life hell as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

The stream lagged quite a bit and solo commentary was ehish because it was a ehish area.

Nest: There are specific items now for the nest, you no longer need to log out after dropping crap.

Ladders: Simon is good at megaman and ladder info giving.

Invading: You won't be invaded at all until you find the area with the first boss, then prepare for the fuckening. I'm not a big enough rear end in a top hat to invade in the first area.

White Soap Stone: Can be silly to find, keep talking to people until you exhaust conversation.

90 Days: This isn't happening.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Dark Souls 2 has a great mechanic called soul memory, you have a total souls gained counter in your inventory screen and that is what your multiplayer experience is based off. There are basically different soul memory brackets and massive amounts of souls that are lost/used on anything not leveling hurts you unlike Dark Souls 1. There are ways to expand these brackets. This is only important for try hards like me, a normal person shouldn't notice the sperg they are playing with min-maxed his poo poo and has 200 extra hp and 4 extra strength.

gently caress Soul Memory.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

smokyprogg posted:

I'm why Soul Memory exists.

We all are... It's going away in 3 I believe.

Another day another death. Your reward is new exciting information on mechanics you don't know about and never would!

Power Stance: Unlike Dark Souls 1 you can dual wield weapons and have them attack at the same time! To do this you need two weapons of the same type like two daggers or a whip and an old whip as examples. You need 150% of the stats required on a weapon to power stance. Simply press and hold Y on an x-box controller and you'll now have a move set in your L1 and L2 that uses both weapons at the same time. SOME WEAPONS HAVE SUPER COOL UNIQUE poo poo! Try it with your fists.

But by doing this you give up parry in >most< cases.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Et tu, Brute?

Brutus is a cheating slut and by proxy so are you. You are now being hunted. Pucker your rear end in a top hat. Dark Souls starts now or something.

Time for today's Fat and Useless reads the instruction booklet!

You have access to 2 covenants and several split paths, that's it, you cheated. God drat I'm salty about souls.

The covenant of champions as was stated makes enemies much harder and they aggro you from further away, it also disables helpful co-op. You can't summon(including npcs) or be summoned. You can be invaded.

Points are earned by beating invaders and certain enemies.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

smokyprogg posted:

come at me bitch (starting to play in ~10 minutes)

Invaded 30 worlds including DangleDongs. Tomorrow is another day.

Day 6 edit: I now know where you went, good job on finding one of the pvp hot spots! Many fun facts await you after you post the video.

Fat and Useless fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jan 19, 2016

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Alright tips and tricks time.

Maybe you noticed while editing but there was a bonfire on your right at the start of the tower of flame you walked past.

You have 3 main places you can go and a bunch of side areas in the forest you haven't been to yet with good things in them.

You have now met the pursuer, try a tactic you gave up doing.

The dudes sitting down are Heide Knights, in the original Dark Souls 2 these were the dark knights of the game. Now they are just chillin. Some of them have cool weapons.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Echoing that a lot of the spears in this game are really neat. Halberds are hit or miss but when they hit they are the strongest weapons in the game(IMO). Scythes have been moved to their own little category and you now have to hit an enemy in the correct sweet spot of the weapon to do the big numbers(not hitting with the shaft). There are also two new types of weapons you may fancy.

Spell Talk: Staves are for sorcery and hexes, Chimes are for miracles and hexes.

Sorcery is the same mostly, the new stuff is cool.

Miracles aren't as great as they were in the first game, I'm looking at you wrath of god...

Hexes(Dark Sorcery) are their own thing now separate from sorcery. They scale off faith and int, whichever is the lowest is what it uses. There is a cost for using the strongest hexes. In PvP hexes will one or two shot you.

Pyromancy now scales with faith and int but has no stat requirements to cast, it still hurts.

I used to use the broken sword along with the dagger in the original dark souls 2, it was pretty tough to make it to the forest tower bonfire without one breaking.

Oh also you can power stance crossbows. Do it.

Fat and Useless fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jan 20, 2016

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Did they fix the durability fps thing in SotFS?

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

No fun names today, did run into a group of Chinese people though.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Maybe you'l find items later that let you do cool things with low int.

Don't think I've ever used a shield in any of my dark souls 2 play throughs, two handers and dual wielding are just too good.

As far as back tracking goes there is one NPC for you to find and MAIN QUEST PROGRESS(1 Boss) in the forest. There is also MAIN QUEST PROGRESS(2 Bosses) and 2 NPCS in the tower of flame. Also there is a giant loving hole in Majula.

:allears: It's hard to pin where you are because all I have to go on is where your bloodstain last was. For example today I'll be carpet bombing the forest again. I'll getcha eventually!

Fat and Useless fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jan 21, 2016

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

smokyprogg posted:

Welp, forgot to post yesterday when I was playing, so I'll let you know that I'm gonna do the tower today. And probably go human. Why the gently caress would i tell you this

Some people go through their first play through with no invasions, soul memory sucks that hard.

Not only does my soul memory need to be at or under your soul memory(which I have to guess at without undercutting my rear end) but there is no infinite invasion item in Dark Souls 2. You have to buy or farm cracked orbs for precious souls and the vendor for cracked reds is behind several bosses that give more souls than you have soul memory right now. The invader will always be weaker than you stat wise until you get to new game plus range because of this. Invading also gives souls and that would keep you from sitting in one soul memory bracket. Luckily a ring was added that throws souls into nothingness in SotFS, it's still further in than you actually are.

So how do I manage to invade before 10 hours in to the game you ask? I cheat in orbs. I am no better than Brutus carving through the first zone for you. I'll kill myself after all this is done as an apology.

Your tip for today, steam don't give a poo poo about hacking as long as you do it offline. Things go to poo poo if your soul memory doesn't match your level.

I suppose another tip is the higher your soul memory goes the more likely you are to be invaded by not me. You can be invaded while hollow. Good luck.

TL:DR in bold

Powerstancing two ultra great swords is a fun activity you should work towards.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

smokyprogg posted:

Throw fatty a bone

When Dark Souls 2 came out I farmed the equivalent of the darkmoon covenant from the first game for 500 wins (tier 3 of the covenant). Some people play this for fun but I played for the god drat shinny blue aura you get. 500 WINS... You have to farm these orbs and this poo poo took months back when we feared VAC bans if we ever cheated in orbs which oops VAC was never actually on! The rear end in a top hat convent is even worse to level up because you need to invade people and kill them to get an item to enter an arena to go up one point in the covenant(500 wins for great chaos fireball, gently caress you). We've had goons try and get banned never getting sent to the legendary cheater server. Like blatant flying 99 stats rainbow aura modded moveset invincible poo poo.

I know the soul memory ranges, I know the rough amount a player should have at a given boss and I can just under cut what you have. Look at it as a handicap for me putting in triple digit hours into this lovely game. I won't use anything you can't get ahold of yet. The one golden rule never to touch is soul memory so a new character is mandatory.

The first time you will probably get legit invaded is after you kill the 4 things of destiny. This really sucks because there is a covenant at the start that summons help for you in the form of another player if you get invaded. Sounds cool but it never happens because there are no invasions.

Simply Simon posted:

The mace guy is a superdick

At least he doesn't have infinite stamina RIGHT? Like they'd ever put in an enemy that never stops attacking and can 2 shot you with a giant range.

Dark Souls 2 has alot of tiny poo poo that keeps adding up and that's why people rag on it. SOTFS tried to fix some of it.

Edit: Also there is a way to reset your stats if you don't like a play style.

Fat and Useless fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jan 21, 2016

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Simply Simon posted:

You're absolutely right that the Red and Blue Covenants are completely loving worthless and a gigantic pain in the rear end. They were doomed to fail from the start by far too many factors.

Who loving cares, though, when there is Rats and Bells to be had :v:? Now those are fun PvP. I'd love in invasions were better, but I'm so happy with how especially the latter works that I can't even be mad.

Rats and Bats are fun even for people who hate pvp and I hope they come back for Dark Souls 3. I mean Rats doesn't even punish people for losing and I've still found people who alt f4 on me when I suck em in.

Roll facts(since we needed them and I'm bored):

99 AGI is what you want to aim for, after that AGI returns get halved. AGI is all that effects the invul frames on a roll.

Your weight effects fall damage, roll distance, and stamina regen. Even a single % will increase/decrease everything by a fraction.

Fat and Useless fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jan 21, 2016

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

You have invaded the world of TouchYourPP.

What do I even say to that?

Oh I found the perfect words for it....

Try right hand.... then good job.

Invaded the world of I Love ******, I wave and he magics me until I die then has 3 giants kill him.

Heide's tower of flame can go to hell.

Fat and Useless fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jan 22, 2016

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Try the running attack with the halberd, when people say it's the best weapon type in the game it's because of that.

Estus gives that quick burst of healing while life gems heal over time, the bigger the gem the longer the time. They probably both take the same time to activate, maybe gems are a little faster? If you want to use gems in combat run like hell, pop one, and then run away until you feel you have enough hp. According to some nerd your current drink time is 2.267 seconds, at 100 AGI it will be 1.933 seconds.

As far as healing value goes Estus +0 gives slightly more hp than the smallest life gem.

And yes there is a covenant for dragging people into your world for PvP shenanigans, if you win you get a Pharros' Lockstone. There's more to it but I'll let you find out on your own.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Simply Simon posted:

Shield bash the annoying spear fuckers maaaan

Your disappointment with the Halberd's riposte damage shows why I wouldn't discount the lowly dagger at all. Keep in in an open right-hand slot and riposte with it - because that will do an easy 700 damage. Unupgraded :ese:.

loving Glencour, haha...

EDIT: Also, you often commit the typical mistake of doing three hits with your Halberd when the combo is finished after two, and you really should already be rolling away. Then the enemy attacks, you might even have enough time to still get away...but no Stamina to roll. Might wanna look into that :D.

Wasn't the base dagger the best riposte weapon?

Edit: Yeah if you want to min max it's the best.

Fat and Useless fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jan 23, 2016

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

smokyprogg posted:

New video is having problems uploading due to snow, as well as the video being very long.

That being said, if you want to invade me, I'm gonna start in 10 minutes. Hit me up at The Lost Bastille :whatup:

Lost Bastille has several invade points and I'm out of orbs. Today is a pass.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Well he doesn't use lightning anymore, he uses dark.

What is he doing here is a very good question. This is the future. That is an old dragon slayer.

That's all you are given.

I know what area you are in now at least so I can start trying again. There is more than one way into Lost Bastille, I assumed you went the other harder way. I am let down.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Day 12 Let me start counting the soul memory...

I'm going to assume you died horribly day 13 and made no progress to the next zone and I should still invade the day 12 area.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

smokyprogg posted:

gently caress Craig.

gently caress Brutus.

Edit: Used 55 orbs no luck.

Fat and Useless fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jan 27, 2016

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

smokyprogg posted:

Oh don't worry, the reason for missing out on an invasion will be very clear soon. I never left the Wharf though! :v:

I'm going to take a guess and say a human effigy was burned after Craig or you walked into water.

You walked into water didn't you?

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Simply Simon posted:

I didn't lie to you, silly, I told you you had to spend some soulz with Maughlin first. 15k (which is, like, one armor set more - I recommend Elite Knight, it's got that classic style), then you can do the 0 soulz begging action.

I still accept George's offer of friendship, if he wants to he can come over too and hunt Austrians with me (should be easy, I live in their country after all).

More things:
- You tactic against the Pursuer is actually really sound. If you stand riiight next to him when he does his curse explosion, you're the safest you can be.
- I forgot to mention: the Ruin Sentinel boss room has hidden doors. Get used to those being everywhere. Get also used to people spamming "Illusion ahead" in every. single. corner.
- The Sublime Bone Dust locations were changed for Scholar. They're now all guarded by a Syan Knight (the dude you instant killed with a backstab, which is the best tactic apart from parrying them) which is thematic, actually (story spoilers though!). And Estus Flask Shards are also often changed now and behind statues who weren't there before either. You get more Branches to compensate, Melentia's 12k Branch for example is new (and actually superfluous).
Oh, and you missed a thing where the "fat man" was, behind the statue and the basilisk; did you also not notice the trunk? It's a Mastodon!
- I have no opinion on the Infantry Axe (I suspect it's an axe) and little on the Old Knight Halberd (it's probably not going to last you long).

OH, and I finally remembered what I wanted to tell you three vids ago and forgot. In some areas where you've beaten bosses, you might see a "Nullify Human Effigy Effect" on Bonfires and a buff symbol that's a crossed out Eye Orb. That's something that came with a relatively recent patch - after killing a boss, you now get a 30-minute grace period of no invasions. You can also get this by burning an Effigy on a Bonfire yourself. Something to keep in mind if you WANT invasions (your own are blocked, too, but I think you can be summoned) and/or are just wondering what up, and if you really do not care to be invaded, it's also good to know of course.

It's like they don't want pvp to happen, assholes.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Glad I spent 30 minutes invading. It's me I'm the loser in all of this even if I do manage to invade you.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

"You have invaded the world of Jew Hunter"

How nice a man of the Jewish faith who is a hunter.

I'd kill these people but I don't want to raise my soul memory.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Simply Simon posted:

Why aren't you wearing the Agape Ring 24/7 if you are so obsessed with hunting down the Frump?

It will take some nerd with 30k souls on hand killing himself to make me waste the ring slot(I'm already wasting one). I'm too lazy to ring swap. I also have no clue what his SM actually is so I just kill bosses as he does and attempt to kill as few things as necessary on the way to places since invadees WILL suicide and give me souls.

Really the whole plan is held up with duct tape and it will be some miracle if I actually do invade him. Maybe it's all just to unsettle him, get in his head, make him slip off planks as he twitches at shadows of a fat man. When it does happen he'll know it happened.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

That being said belfry isn't even the best PvP!

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1A0p0F_iH8

Well assuming you continue forward where you died it should be easy to hit you as long as I get the correct time and fix my soul memory.

Edit: My SM is 141410 which is actually in range, I can go up to 240000 without going out of range.

Fat and Useless fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jan 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

KieranWalker posted:

FaU, your continued attempts at invading Rob just serve to remind me of my continued attempts to invade the last Demon's Souls LP that went on here. I never did manage to find the bastard.

I have the better part of 2 months for the stars to align.

• Locked thread