Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meg From Family Guy
Feb 4, 2012
No

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I am a man and I have struggles, but it's hard to give a poo poo about women making fun of men on the internet

Like, oh wow *pantomimes taking arrow to the chest*

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Personally I think that misandry shouldn't just be encouraged it should be mandatory.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Sethex posted:

Looking into my posting history is a pretty clear symptom of rustled jimmies, maybe try some anti-depressing life pills an a hug box?

I don't really have a prob with the whole 'it is fine to slur up whites cause they are privileged an powerful' but I don't really see the utility since it demonstrates that you guys are a bit of a hate group.

An if it is out of humour well than i guess i didn't see it as a joke prior to now, that said the rationale sounds abit storm fronty.

Just cause you're a grose fat an maybe ethnic types doesnt mean the healthiest way to cope is to just refract the racisms of the past an become feminism's edge lords. I mean if you guys were arguing that #killallblackpeople was hilarious i'd just think you were idiots too, an i'd be saying something like 'yo maybe arguing for mass murder isn't the best image you want to project for your obviously derailed ideology.'

Btw how is intersectionality suppose to bring about more equality than the previous feminism wave?

i dont think i could have put it better myself, why ironic misandry is inconsequential to actual problems

this is not to trivialize any real problems people face irl! but boy howdy do people get mad as hell over fake rear end internet culture wars

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

He may have a funny face, but he's THE BEST KONG
there's nothing ironic about my misandry op :twisted:

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

C. Everett Koop posted:

Personally I think that misandry shouldn't just be encouraged it should be mandatory.

I am male but gay, can I bathe in het tears?

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Badger of Basra posted:

I am male but gay, can I bathe in het tears?

I'm a het male and I do that already so I don't see why you can't hop in.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
OP why did you think this was going to be a good thread?

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
The misandry probably isn't ironic, but it's doubtful whether or not that ever leads into anything substantial, or has the capacity to. So possibility of mental instability, balanced against powerlessness. Though that would also depend on what that instability is. Paranoia can be consoled, a sense of superiority cannot be consoled. The former would make them misunderstood, the later just makes that bad people who should feel bad.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

SedanChair posted:

I am a man and I have struggles, but it's hard to give a poo poo about women making fun of men on the internet

Like, oh wow *pantomimes taking arrow to the chest*

I hate it for the phony outrage it generates, but that just means I should stop reading certain subreddits.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Social media has drawn a lot of attention too subjects that were previously quite niche. This is very good in one way. The flip side is that on twitter or where ever it has just become the equivalent of supporting a football team.

In the same way that football attracts people that just want to get pissed up and have a fight and don't really care about what happens on the pitch. Social justice or what ever you want to call it is the nerdy version where you can throw insults about and generally boost your online ego with sick burns.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Sethex posted:

An if it is out of humour well than i guess i didn't see it as a joke prior to now, that said the rationale sounds abit storm fronty.

You're right, jokes about men are not funny, not like rape jokes, which are universally hilarious.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

But with girls.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

its good when men are raped, it teaches them to not rape anymore

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

mcclay posted:

OP why did you think this was going to be a good thread?

I dunno, thread's lookin pretty good. OP got the answer to their question, multiple people verified that answer, seems like this thread was a resounding success to me.

Pantsuit
Oct 28, 2013

Sharkie posted:

But with girls.

Didn't this dude start it by being really racist, saying he was glad Michael Brown got shot and stuff?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Yeah but how can you say it's racist just because you're glad a thug vanished from the earth, and won't breed more little thuglets?

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
How about a compromise, we get to joke about white male fee-fees, but in return, we also get the Tumblr mock thread back? That poo poo was hilarious.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,
Anti-sexism is a code word for anti-male.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

WoodrowSkillson posted:

its good when men are raped, it teaches them to not rape anymore

In the movie The Hangover: Part 2 the character of Stu (played by the hilarious Ed Helms) is drugged by his friend and later raped orally and anally by a prostitute. Stu internalizes this traumatic experience as a consequence of his own promiscuity.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

eSports Chaebol posted:

Anti-sexism is a code word for anti-male.

males are sexism, a good maxim!

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Quorum posted:

How about a compromise, we get to joke about white male fee-fees, but in return, we also get the Tumblr mock thread back? That poo poo was hilarious.

:agreed:

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Quorum posted:

The Tumblr mock thread was only good until people started appearing in the thread to defend the people being mocked. And to post a lot of pony poo poo under the excuse of mocking it.

Sethex
Jun 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Ddraig posted:

You're right, jokes about men are not funny, not like rape jokes, which are universally hilarious.

I agree, rape is always funny: http://geekfeminism.wikia.com/wiki/Dickwolves

Railtus
Apr 8, 2011

daz nu bi unseren tagen
selch vreude niemer werden mac
der man ze den ziten pflac
Yes it does trivialise the suffering of domestic abuse victims: the idea that abuse against men doesn't happen (it does) or doesn't matter (it does) basically is what enabled the abuse I went through. There's a perverse logic at work that basically starts from the premise that abuse is something that happens to women and not to men – therefore the older woman who forced herself on me when I was 8 must not have been abuse, the older woman (someone different) who would beat me for 15-20 minutes at a time when I was around 14 must not have been abuse, and the ex-girlfriend who thought it was entertaining to gouge at my hand with the rings she wore (literally because it was fun) must not have been abuse.

This kind of dismissive attitude towards the abuse I received has come from both traditional and feminist circles; male feminists more so (most of the feminists who reacted compassionately were women), although I find those who blame “other-men/male-attitudes/patriarchy” tend to be far worse than said other-men/male-attitudes/patriarchy. Because the traditional camp at least acknowledges that I was mistreated (while usually advising me to just endure it stoically), while the ones putting the blame on other men have consistently in my experience used it as a means of victim-blaming or to make me feel ashamed of speaking up.

Yes it is actively harmful, because it goes a long way towards encouraging the attitude that a man in pain is not allowed to speak about it.

In some ways I don't want the ironic misandry to stop – because it's not ironic, and they announce their callousness in a way that helps me identify abusers. They declare their malice openly, and so I can limit my interaction with them. It's easier to not take what they say personally because I know they are vicious people who would say anything they thought they could get away with saying in order to further hurt someone they find vulnerable. I want these people to advertise.

The dangerous ones are the people who take the attitude that violence against men is less severe (it isn't) – that attitude is a huge factor in why I endured abuse for so long, because I was essentially gaslighted by people who insisted that DV was less severe when it happened to men. If what happens to men is less severe then what was being done to me must not be a big deal… Essentially that is the truly harmful attitude that extended my vulnerability to abuse. There's also a subtle prescriptive attitude in place; the violence will be seen as less severe because it is happening to a man, and becomes a vicious circle that encourages people to ignore or downplay the violence that is happening.

Give me ironic misandry over that any day of the week, because I can't confuse the ironic misandry for an attempt at well-meaning or helpful.

Or, men are seen as not needing shelters. Presumably this is believed to be the case since they're not using shelters (you know, the shelters that don't accept men :| ). I bring this up because I think the true barrier for men leaving toxic relationships is the potential for guilty-until-proven-innocent witch hunts against a man who tries to leave. I know false allegations are kind of a cliché, but does anyone seriously believe an abuser would not use a false claim of abuse against her victim?

Give me ironic misandry over the attitude that men don't need the help any day of the week.

I would prefer 1000 ironic misandrists to 1 of the people trying to claim that the severity of DV against men is lesser. I think of the future-brother-in-law who was knifed by a woman he was dating… but it's not as severe, right? I think of the 15-20 minute beating I received from someone who paced herself so she could continue beating me for longer without getting tired… but it's not as severe, right? I think of my best friend who was attacked while he was sleeping… but it's not as severe, right?

Bahar Mustafa was a problem because of the office she held – her “jokes” just revealed her contempt for some of the people she would be dealing with as a diversity officer, and her willingness to abuse her position. Some victims use self-deprecation as a way to speak of their pain in a more comfortable fashion, and I don't want to rule out humour as a coping strategy, so safe-spaces or forbidden language becomes a whole new can of worms that I expect to do more harm than good – the obstacle I face is that I'm so heavily discouraged from speaking of what happened to me. Suppressing another voice, no matter how objectionable I find it, is not really a solution for me. The problem is the difficulty finding those people willing to hear from a man who has been abused.

EDIT: So-called ironic misandry is a symptom of the problem, not the cause. Trying to get rid of it will just conceal the symptom without addressing the core problem. From the perspective of someone who has suffered abuse, I want the symptom to be visible, because it's the insidious kind of trivialisation that really hurts.

Which is why I want more discussion. I don't think we're ever going to stop the trivialisation of abuse against men, but it will do far more to help if men become more aware of abusive behaviours against them, the harm they can cause, and ways people will try to trivialise it - that way they can form effective strategies to protect themselves against further abuse. For me at least, an important aspect of my ongoing recovery from that abuse is recognising habits or beliefs I held that made me such an easy target (such as chivalry and appeasement, where I saw it as my responsibility to make her happy). Suppression is a temporary measure at best. I favour a long-term solution where men have a better understanding of healthy and unhealthy relationships.

Railtus fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Mar 3, 2016

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Railtus posted:

Which is why I want more discussion. I don't think we're ever going to stop the trivialisation of abuse against men, but it will do far more to help if men become more aware of abusive behaviours against them, the harm they can cause, and ways people will try to trivialise it - that way they can form effective strategies to protect themselves against further abuse. For me at least, an important aspect of my ongoing recovery from that abuse is recognising habits or beliefs I held that made me such an easy target (such as chivalry and appeasement, where I saw it as my responsibility to make her happy). Suppression is a temporary measure at best. I favour a long-term solution where men have a better understanding of healthy and unhealthy relationships.

Absolutely. I don't know about a lof of the posters here, but I understand what you've gone through. My wife gets frustrated with me when I apologize profusely for things she gets mad at that I have nothing to do with. Or when I react with a flinch when she yells at something. Or (one I need to stop somehow) putting myself in between her and the cats or our son. It breaks her heart to see that reaction to what is just a minor expression of frustration. But to me, it's just a reminder that "I need to fix it." or "I need to take the beating so my sister doesn't (in this case, cats & son)". I know that she's not abusive. I know she'd not hurt our son or the cats. But you can't turn it off. I grew up trying to keep my (unknown to me) abusive mother from leaving us. I felt that since my father was always working, it was my responsiblity to appease the lunatic in the next room, so that I still have a family for another day. When you're in that situation, you don't see it for what it is. You just do what you can to solve it. Talking about it without riducle from your peers is very important.

Railtus
Apr 8, 2011

daz nu bi unseren tagen
selch vreude niemer werden mac
der man ze den ziten pflac

Talmonis posted:

Absolutely. I don't know about a lof of the posters here, but I understand what you've gone through. My wife gets frustrated with me when I apologize profusely for things she gets mad at that I have nothing to do with. Or when I react with a flinch when she yells at something. Or (one I need to stop somehow) putting myself in between her and the cats or our son. It breaks her heart to see that reaction to what is just a minor expression of frustration. But to me, it's just a reminder that "I need to fix it." or "I need to take the beating so my sister doesn't (in this case, cats & son)". I know that she's not abusive. I know she'd not hurt our son or the cats. But you can't turn it off. I grew up trying to keep my (unknown to me) abusive mother from leaving us. I felt that since my father was always working, it was my responsiblity to appease the lunatic in the next room, so that I still have a family for another day. When you're in that situation, you don't see it for what it is. You just do what you can to solve it. Talking about it without riducle from your peers is very important.

Thank you, I appreciate you telling me about this. It's not often easy stuff to share. I think breaking the silence is very valuable, although I'm not entirely sure what to add. I'm very glad you're with someone that you're safe with, and presumably happy with. Far too often I've seen people with similar experiences to ours bounce from abusive relationship to abusive relationship, seeking an emotionally corrective experience (aka: “form a relationship with a guano crazy lady so she will not act like a guano crazy lady”).

My partner helped me overcome a lot of the programming I went through, mostly by teaching me that I don't need to rescue her from all her problems, that she doesn't need special treatment, and that I don't need to be the one to fix everything, sometimes she can fix things as well and it's OK for her to do so. Those were really important lessons. Recovery is still an ongoing process.

On the subject of being able to talk without ridicule being very important, you're always welcome to talk to me about these things if you would find it helpful. If you want to go off-topic for this debate thread, I had an old thread some months ago we could use ( http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3740698 ).

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor
Patriarchy is harmful to both men and women, and of course especially to women. But that still means that tens of millions of men are harmed by it. That's something you don't see on Jezebel or Wonkette or any of the surface level 'anger disguised as feminism' sites that get the most eyeballs. There is zero sympathy for what men go through in public discourse.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

menino posted:

Patriarchy is harmful to both men and women, and of course especially to women. But that still means that tens of millions of men are harmed by it. That's something you don't see on Jezebel or Wonkette or any of the surface level 'anger disguised as feminism' sites that get the most eyeballs. There is zero sympathy for what men go through in public discourse.

I agree, it's terrible what men put other men through. If only men could stop doing that, that would be a real great benefit for men, but unfortunately men are too focused on solving the problem with women and how they're too uppity these days.

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

Ddraig posted:

I agree, it's terrible what men put other men through. If only men could stop doing that, that would be a real great benefit for men, but unfortunately men are too focused on solving the problem with women and how they're too uppity these days.

That's juvenile and incredibly over-reductive. The idea that men cause problems and women have problems is one of the oldest, most gendered assumptions out there.

Women also contribute to this, espeically in romantic relationships. Men often show vulnerability to each other with no negative effects, but report getting this most harshly from women. Brene Brown writes on this in depth in her research.

This is not to say that on balance what men to do women is not as bad, only that we're ignoring a huge part and this refusal to have a realistic dialogue is what drives men (in part) to the wacko parts of the MRA internet.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Ddraig posted:

Women do it also.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
Feminists who only blame men for the injustices in society are part of the problem.

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor
Basically let's just say that 60% of what goes down in between the sexes is 'worse' by men. I can definitely say that's a likely state of affairs, even though reports on domestic abuse actually show that women initiate intimate partner violence more often then men. BUT the severity outweighs the frequency (ie women dont' kill their partners despite engaging in more low level abuse)

That leaves 40% unacknowledged. Just saying 'hey men we ladies get that this is not really fair when it comes to a lot of things in your home lives and we should take responsibility for *some* of this' would probably take the edge off, even though there's going to be angry low status males no matter what. And I have heard this from women, but mostly from academics--my org psych professors were very open about this topic and I get the feeling that actual academy-level gender theory is all over this and has been for literal decades.

But in terms of mainstream gender sites, which is what most men interact with and which most tends to influence mainstream discourse, it's just mockery or lifestyle feminism which selectively quotes housework numbers pulled out of context. Which is horseshit. There's big industries in media for angry men and angry women but only the angry women are in the mainstream, which I think reflects mostly on the lives of women working in the publishing industry in Manhattan. Actual women in academia who train in this have a much better picture of it but they're not listened to.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

menino posted:

it's really rampant misandry, the way that women's media never talks about men's issues. why jezebel should talk about female-on-male domestic violence as often as playboy or ESPN does. and when is men's history month???

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

menino posted:

That's juvenile and incredibly over-reductive. The idea that men cause problems and women have problems is one of the oldest, most gendered assumptions out there.

Women also contribute to this, espeically in romantic relationships. Men often show vulnerability to each other with no negative effects, but report getting this most harshly from women. Brene Brown writes on this in depth in her research.

This is not to say that on balance what men to do women is not as bad, only that we're ignoring a huge part and this refusal to have a realistic dialogue is what drives men (in part) to the wacko parts of the MRA internet.

From what I can gather on my perusal of various "men's rights" websites (mainly Reddit's mensrights subreddit), from their FAQ the main concerns are:

quote:

Vilification - Men are regularly vilified and demeaned, both in the media and by feminist and government groups. The primary example of this is the widespread belief that men are the only gender capable of committing domestic violence, which comes with the corollary belief that women who do commit domestic violence are simply defending or empowering themselves. For further reading on this subject, see these links: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.

Child Custody Discrimination - The family court systems western societies regularly discriminate against men during custody proceedings, such that fathers are not given appropriate shared custody of their kids. It goes so far that, in many areas, women are given the sole option to choose to legally surrender their child, and the father is not considered as a potential parent over unrelated adoptive parents. Additionally, male victims of statutory rape can be made to pay child support for children born of the criminal act. In addition, alimony and child support payments are often unreasonably high, and are slow if they ever reflect changes in income due to occupation/economy changes. Some further reading on this subject includes: 1, 2

Legal Discrimination - There is a large sentencing disparity between men (especially males of a visible minority) and women for similar crimes. Often times women are given suspended sentences in situations where men would not be shown leniency. The primary example for this is statutory rape cases. Members of the MRM do not wish to make laws more lenient for men, but rather wish to open a dialogue to find a more fair and equitable solution that treats such cases independently of gender. Further reading includes: 1.

Education Discrimination - “What I think is happening is schools are drugging boys to turn them into girls,” -Lionel Tiger, Charles Darwin Professor of Anthropology at Rutgers University in New Jersey. While there was massive social outcry over a previously perceived education gap for young girls in science and math, there is little social concern over the growing education gap for males. Young boys are being outpaced and disregarded in terms of literacy rates, which has a huge effect on overall learning ability in all subjects. Additionally, women have made massive leaps in post-secondary enrollment rates, and now significantly outnumber men in most post-secondary institutions. While female specific scholarship plans were implemented to support women in post-secondary education, no such programs are being implemented to now encourage men, and no plans are in place to repeal the no-longer-necessary female-centric scholarship programs. This is further evidence of discrimination against men. For further reading, see: 1, 2

False accusations - the traditional protection for people accused of crimes is shrinking for men in western societies, which means that men are becoming increasingly prone to the problem of false accusations. Additionally, widespread media coverage that names-and-shames the accused means that even innocent people who are accused of crimes will suffer significant consequences. Many within the MRM believe that it is important to re-establish the principles upon which the legal system was founded (i.e. innocent before proven guilty rather than guilty until proven innocent). For some information on this topic see these links: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.

Prevalence of Male Genital Mutilation - Female genital mutilation has been outlawed in all western societies, though it still remain in practice in some African and Islamic nations. However, no similar legal intervention has occurred for male genital mutilation, commonly referred to as circumcision. While there may be religious reasons to promote male genital mutilation (Judeo-Christian), there is little medical support for the elective procedure. Additionally, the risk of complications, from disfigurement to death, is indicative that this practice should also be outlawed in western cultures. Further reading on the subject: 1, 2, 3.

Recognition of Male Victims - In the United States, rape is often defined in gendered terms such that men cannot be raped (varies from state to state) 1. In the United Kingdom, the laws clearly show that only men can commit rape, even if it allows for men to also be victims 2. Other countries have similar laws. These countries do not recognize the possibility that a male may have sexual intercourse without giving consent. Furthermore, male victims of statutory rape may be required to pay child support to their rapist 3. Many within the MRM wish to see gender neutral laws regarding rape, defined in a way that does not necessarily require penetration, so that male victims can seek and receive the help they need.

Other issues include the uneven distribution of workplace deaths, the male-only selective service, and the lack of social support (such as the vast amount of female violence shelters/resources as opposed to the nearly negligible male resources for victims of domestic violence).

All of which are fair enough, I guess.

Most seem to be focused on the way men are portrayed in media in general and judicial/government systems having a bias.

For the first one, looking at the big four advertising companies out there (Publicis, IPG, Omnicom, WPP) a surprising amount of senior positions are held by men. Even finding out information on the board of directors for their various subsidiaries paints a similar picture. Hardly a feminist conspiracy.

Same deal with the judicial system. In the UK, 75% of all judges are men. In the US 68% of district court judges are men. 65% of judges in the federal courts of appeal are men. Out of all of the supreme court appointees since time began, 94% have been men. It is currently 62% men (higher if you include the corpse, which I didn't).

Governments don't fare much better: 80% of Congress are men. 71% of the House of Commons are men. 74% of the House of Lords are men.

Statistically speaking, any time men are being hosed over in the realm of advertising, law or government policy it's more than likely a preponderance of men are the ones responsible for it, unless the small amount of women present in these fields have an inordinate amount of influence.

I'm not going to go through the statistics for law enforcement, academia and medicine, but I'm guessing, at a stretch, the trend of it being predominantly men and not women is going to hold true.

The last of your original point is confusing. "There is zero sympathy for what men go through in public discourse."

Public discourse about what?

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

Popular Thug Drink posted:

it's really rampant misandry, the way that women's media never talks about men's issues. why jezebel should talk about female-on-male domestic violence as often as playboy or ESPN does. and when is men's history month???

You can't read and your dogshit posting is case in point. I didn't say it's rampant, only that it goes unacknowledged. Is it really a stretch to say that men and women are internalizing the same norms? Is that not something discussed at length in gender studies when discussing how women act?

Ddraig posted:

From what I can gather on my perusal of various "men's rights" websites (mainly Reddit's mensrights subreddit), from their FAQ the main concerns are:

The last of your original point is confusing. "There is zero sympathy for what men go through in public discourse."

Public discourse about what?

About gender issues. It's almost exclusively focused on what men are doing to women. And re your point about advertisers, I agree. I don't doubt that men are the ones in power but again, all of society has internalized these norms. e: Also, what I was citing was issues at home--women have internalized the idea that men cannot be vulnerable and treat men worse because of it. Brown does not have data but she says she read it again and again.

I agree with most of that reddit stuff but again it veers into MRA territory with the false rape stuff. I'm sure that happens and it needs to get fixed but on balance the issue is clearly men raping women rather than women falsely accusing men. The key is to focus on the structural issues at play--which again means that women are bearing the worst of it. But there are still tens of millions of men who have terrible lives and their lives are terrible in a specific gendered way, which you simply can't say about white people or rich people--ie their lives are bad in a way that reflects their whiteness or wealth.

To ignore these issue like our buddy PTD is doing with some Z-level snark and shitposting is part (PART but not all) of what drives low status males to MRA weird poo poo. If there was an actual discourse from men AND women about how men also suffer from gendered expectations, there would not be that sense of unfairness and marginalization with huge percentages of men in this country.

menino fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Mar 4, 2016

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
But your original point was about how those 'angry disguised as feminist' websites are not reporting this stuff.

Why is that more of a problem than the vast majority of media the vast majority of people actually consume not doing the same? I mean, that's not even focusing on the small percentage of the mainstream media that is created by females, that's focusing on the female specific part of an already specific niche, i.e. almost completely negligible.

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

Ddraig posted:

But your original point was about how those 'angry disguised as feminist' websites are not reporting this stuff.

Why is that more of a problem than the vast majority of media the vast majority of people actually consume not doing the same? I mean, that's not even focusing on the small percentage of the mainstream media that is created by females, that's focusing on the female specific part of an already specific niche, i.e. almost completely negligible.

ESPN is not focused on the idea that men and women should be equal. It's focused on entertainment.

When what you see as feminism is just topics that make educated women in Manhattan angry, or signalling from Everydayfeminism on how to appear like a more enlightened liberal (EDUCATE YOURSELF!) it leaves you with the impression that feminism is a crock that is confusing egoism with a concern for egalitarian principles. See: most Hillary pieces by Amanda Marcotte, Sady Doyle, and Jessica Valenti.

Which is unfortunate because that certainly is not what it is.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

menino posted:

ESPN is not focused on the idea that men and women should be equal. It's focused on entertainment.

Everything must be focused on it or destroyed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

menino posted:

When what you see as feminism is just topics that make educated women in Manhattan angry, or signalling from Everydayfeminism on how to appear like a more enlightened liberal (EDUCATE YOURSELF!) it leaves you with the impression that feminism is a crock that is confusing egoism with a concern for egalitarian principles. See: most Hillary pieces by Amanda Marcotte, Sady Doyle, and Jessica Valenti.

Which is unfortunate because that certainly is not what it is.

No it doesn't. The only people that get that impression already had it in the first place, without fail. They wanted to see it and Lo and behold they did.

• Locked thread