Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Ddraig posted:

Radical feminist rhetoric has actually softened from the days of the SCUM Manifesto.

These days men aren't actually considered genetically inferior, a defective chromosome on two legs etc. but it's still too much for the delicate sensibilities of most men who regard any whiff of reduced status to be the coming of the end times.

I'd really, really like to see someone come up with a modern day equivalent of the SCUM Manifesto just to see the outrage and shock it would cause.

I don't really have a formal education on feminist issues or the history of feminist theory and philosphy, but was the SCUM Manifesto really an entirely honest statement of opinion? My sense was that it used extremely shocking statements in an attempt to cause introspection in the reader and get them to acknowledge and critically examine their subconscious world view. I think in any kind of manifesto of that nature it can be difficult to distinguish between trying to build the self esteem and self awareness of a minority class and actual full on dehumanization of the majority class. Either way the language and imagery in a manifesto are kind of in a whole different category than day to day language that you might see on a blog post which the OP is addressing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Effectronica posted:

drat, this guy got so mad after reading each post he had to respond right then and there, ending up with a triplet of whines.

Anyone who uses the edit button is weak.

Sethex posted:

Why would she shoot Andy Warhol if it was meant to be a parody and not a sincere manifesto?

To my knowledge even the film SCUM depicted the manifesto as a sincere anti natal philosophy of a women broken by cruelty.

quote:

According to Feiden, Solanas then pulled out her gun, and when Feiden again refused to commit to producing the play, Solanas responded, “Yes, you will produce the play because I’ll shoot Andy Warhol and that will make me famous and the play famous, and then you’ll produce it.”

lol

• Locked thread